ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's Seat - Temperature Status

THIS is Fran McCaffery:

Iowa (overall record: 175–132 (.570)
Iowa (Big 10 record): 79–86 (.488) - most concerning to me
Fran record overall as a head coach: 426–309 (.580)

You are what your record says you are ... Fran's a very average coach. We are a very average program. This it is folks. It's not gonna get any better ... THIS is Iowa basketball ... So, why not give someone else a chance to guide the ship ... We already know what Fran can/can't do. Against DePaul it wasn't a case of we were just "off." No, we have much less talent than DePaul and DePaul looked like the Globetrotters while we looked like the Washington Generals. Ugh, this is pathetic ... And I've been a fan for 40 years ... It's time to upgrade or at least TRY a new leader.

Reactions: K OKeefe
12fb72ffc04fb92cb7e09a0336b436de.gif

THIS is Fran McCaffery:

You are what your record says you are ... Fran's a very average coach. We are a very average program. This it is folks. It's not gonna get any better ... THIS is Iowa basketball ... So, why not give someone else a chance to guide the ship ... We already know what Fran can/can't do. Against DePaul it wasn't a case of we were just "off." No, we have much less talent than DePaul and DePaul looked like the Globetrotters while we looked like the Washington Generals. Ugh, this is pathetic ... And I've been a fan for 40 years ... It's time to upgrade or at least TRY a new leader.
Dumb

When people post these thingsn (OP)....I get that they are frustrated but, it seems like an old old and true lesson....don't say/post things based on the frustration of the moment. Don't make decisions based on emotion.

I've posted some things in game threads that look rather dumb given how things turn out after that. We are all fans, we say dumb stuff sometimes. Just hope that this team stays healthy and they get a chance to have a season. Fran has put together a good team.

THIS is Fran McCaffery:

I think it’s stupid to cherry pick and go back on posts but I would say this even aside from recent success. Average would be like 175th best team in the NCAA and according to Kenpom Iowa has been top 40 in 6 of the past 8 seasons and top 30 in 5 of those. Fran is and was an above average coach.

Garza is the reason. The only reason.

when Garza is gone Fran will have a lot to prove....again.

The player(s) a coach has, obviously matters. That said, we have been ranked #3 in the nation previously under Fran with a different team. I also think that we will be pretty good next year and that is minus Garza, JBO, and I am guessing Joe W. I don't think that we will be ranked #3 by any means, but I think that we have a shot at being ranked at some point during the season.

Reactions: meatloaf55 and 12tb

We have a strong roster still. Keegan, Pmac, Ulis, and Perkins are going to be strong contributors next year with likely at least one of them starting. And the big thing is going to be Big O. He’s working with Frank Garza and if he cuts fat and adds muscle, watch out. He looks like he could be mean.

We have a strong roster still. Keegan, Pmac, Ulis, and Perkins are going to be strong contributors next year with likely at least one of them starting. And the big thing is going to be Big O. He’s working with Frank Garza and if he cuts fat and adds muscle, watch out. He looks like he could be mean.
Agreed Iowa will likely be back in that 7 seed range against next year and that’s fine by me!

just win baby. Fran gets a free pass for a few years forward if he wins a B1G regular season title and/or makes it to his 1st ever Saturday game in B1G tourney.

When people post these thingsn (OP)....I get that they are frustrated but, it seems like an old old and true lesson....don't say/post things based on the frustration of the moment. Don't make decisions based on emotion.
I would agree BUT who has the memory of things said one year ago or do they have very little going on that they can go back and look at old posts..I can't remember posts from yesterday!

Reactions: perryhawk

Besides the top 10 programs most coaches probably fall in this range. If you can get one or two great players every 4 years you're lucky. Go back through the B1G the last 10 years and see what programs fall into this range. Michigan State probably only team to be a top 10 team most of the years...

just win baby. Fran gets a free pass for a few years forward if he wins a B1G regular season title and/or makes it to his 1st ever Saturday game in B1G tourney.
Iowa hasn't won a Big Ten Title since 1979 and you would only give Fran a free pass for a 'few years' if he does so? Fran is getting a statue outside Carver if he wins a Big Ten title, especially with how loaded the league is this year.

I never saw an Iowa team win a single tournament game in my lifetime before Fran.

We have an incredible chance to make the final 4 this year & have been a few minutes and breaks away from a sweet 16 bid. This is without a doubt one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on this board.

Reactions: iahawks10
Whiffing on Foster stings. I'm not worried about missing on Foster so much as I am worried about missing on any sort of talent for another year. This class has got to be considered a failure. This year has proven that Fran is not a very good recruiter or, even if he is, his baggage is turning recruits off. Furthermore, his on the court product is competitive but not exceptional. Many prognosticators, including Iowa writers, do not predict Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team this year. That would make 1 tourney in 4 years. That is not good. Lickliter can't be blamed anymore. That is all Fran.

With that in mind, what is Fran's seat reasonably at? I know we just went to the round of 32, but Tom Davis was fired after going to the Sweet 16. If Fran misses on the Tourney this year, can we reasonably put him on the hot seat?

Personally, I think Fran should be on the hot seat right now, but his seat is cool as a cucumber with Barta in charge.

THIS POST DID NOT AGE WELL

Reactions: pink shizzle
Going all the way back to Ralph Miller, he also had recruiting problems. The great team of 1969-70 was made up of two Junior College players (Freddy Brown and John Johnson). Calabria, McGilmer, Jensen, and Vidnovic made up the six pack. Ralph took chances on players like Kevin Kunnert who was lightly recruited out of Wahlert. George Conway, Gary Lusk, and Tom Miller were other players that were not highly recruited and played very little under Miller..

Losing Foster hurts but Josh Ogundele I believe can make up for it if he signs with Iowa. He is a true Center with bulk who could be Garza's replacement once he graduates. Fran's current 2020 class is filled right now with players that were on the rise when he offered them. How they will pan out is to be determined.

I like the two guards that Fran will sign. Both Ulis and Perkins are solid defenders and are athletic and can take it to the hoop. Ulis will become a solid pg for Iowa. Perkins is a slasher who can create his own shot and is not afraid to take it to the basket.. As for the Murray twins, this is the real determination on how this class will ultimately be rated. Right now they are unknown and not rated by the recruiting services. I do believe in Fran's ability to recognize talent and he saw something in them over the summer to make an offer. It's not like Fran has never seen them play before. He recognized their potential after they have grown and added more physicality to their game.

Foster was a swing and a miss but this class could be completed well with the signing of Ogundele. We missed last year on Carton but got Toussaint instead. We missed on Foster this year but hopefully get Ogundele to fill out the 2020 class.

Really? not even Iowa beating Creighton in 2000? Now I feel old.....

Its funny how low everyone felt about iowa basketball just a year ago, missing on Foster and then losing to Depaul. What a turn around. Hakweye program went from a percieved low point (from fan perspective) to likely the greatest hawkeye bball team of all time. In less than a year
*Edit to add that i was one of those fans who thought fran was on his last leg. The combo of losing to depaul and missing on foster on basically the same day was rough. Thats why fans dont make decisions!

Reactions: EKHawk and 3boysmom
I never saw an Iowa team win a single tournament game in my lifetime before Fran.

We have an incredible chance to make the final 4 this year & have been a few minutes and breaks away from a sweet 16 bid. This is without a doubt one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on this board.
I’m sorry you are too young to have watched Dr Tom win an NCAA game every year it seemed.

I’m sorry you are too young to have watched Dr Tom win an NCAA game every year it seemed.

26 man! So not that young. But I did grow up hearing about those times & the likes of Ronnie Lester and such. My main fandom is Alford, Lick, and Fran... so it’s very easy for me to love Fran and appreciate what he’s done for this program & university.

I was a very average hooper in HS but I legitimately thought I could play for Iowa because I was attending games that featured Jon Licklitter, Coughill, and Bawinkel.. those losses to UTSA and the likes.. dark freaking days.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Whiffing on Foster stings. I'm not worried about missing on Foster so much as I am worried about missing on any sort of talent for another year. This class has got to be considered a failure. This year has proven that Fran is not a very good recruiter or, even if he is, his baggage is turning recruits off. Furthermore, his on the court product is competitive but not exceptional. Many prognosticators, including Iowa writers, do not predict Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team this year. That would make 1 tourney in 4 years. That is not good. Lickliter can't be blamed anymore. That is all Fran.

With that in mind, what is Fran's seat reasonably at? I know we just went to the round of 32, but Tom Davis was fired after going to the Sweet 16. If Fran misses on the Tourney this year, can we reasonably put him on the hot seat?

Personally, I think Fran should be on the hot seat right now, but his seat is cool as a cucumber with Barta in charge.
Frans seat after today is up to Fran Con 3.

:cool:

Reactions: 3boysmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT