ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's Seat - Temperature Status

Feb 28, 2019
Whiffing on Foster stings. I'm not worried about missing on Foster so much as I am worried about missing on any sort of talent for another year. This class has got to be considered a failure. This year has proven that Fran is not a very good recruiter or, even if he is, his baggage is turning recruits off. Furthermore, his on the court product is competitive but not exceptional. Many prognosticators, including Iowa writers, do not predict Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team this year. That would make 1 tourney in 4 years. That is not good. Lickliter can't be blamed anymore. That is all Fran.

With that in mind, what is Fran's seat reasonably at? I know we just went to the round of 32, but Tom Davis was fired after going to the Sweet 16. If Fran misses on the Tourney this year, can we reasonably put him on the hot seat?

Personally, I think Fran should be on the hot seat right now, but his seat is cool as a cucumber with Barta in charge.

Barta doesn't fire anyone his seat will only be warm with back to back last place big ten finishes, he might have given fran a extension we might not know about until acouple months later.

Let's just hope this class is better than the 14 and 15 classes, i was hoping to have a great recruiting class for 2020 appears we will be dead last in the conference with this class.

Maybe it's not Fran. Maybe its Iowa.

I think there is truth to this. Since the early 90’s, four different coaches have been unable to elevate Iowa higher than mid-level Big 10 team, low seed NCAA tournament participant.

And some coaches have done much worse.

There are some big-picture issues behind that beyond just the quality of coaches. Recruiting to Iowa seems to be hard. Nobody has had much success with it for the past 30 ears.

I think there is truth to this. Since the early 90’s, four different coaches have been unable to elevate Iowa higher than mid-level Big 10 team, low seed NCAA tournament participant.

There are some big-picture issues behind that beyond just the quality of coaches. Recruiting to Iowa seems to be hard. Nobody has had much success with it for the past 30 ears.

I'll retort with this: ISU had the same issue. They hired two absolute stinkers of coaches in the 2000's who drove the program into the ground. Fred comes in and turns the program around in a few short years. And they recruit great athletes. If you can recruit to Ames, you can recruit to IC.

Look at minnesota football. They haven't been good in decades. Fleck comes in and has them playing for a conference championship in year 3.

Good coaches can turn programs around. Let's not curl up into a fetal position and accept this as our fate.

There are some big-picture issues behind that beyond just the quality of coaches. Recruiting to Iowa seems to be hard. Nobody has had much success with it for the past 39 years.

If you can recruit to Ames, you can recruit to Iowa City. The problem is the Iowa basketball program itself and that starts with the AD/head coaches. Davis had an effective, but limiting system, so made little effort to recruit. Alford has proven himself to be more of a mid-major coach. Lickliter was in over his head. Fran, like Alford, is just a mid-major coach.

If Fran misses the tournament this year there will rightfully be internal (and most certainly external) pressure on him in the absence of a strong 2020 recruiting class. We have some decent talent and there are a couple good coaches out there (Jans, Smith) who would take the iowa job, which is always a key part of the decision process.

Honestly though I don’t see him getting fired. He will be 61 years old after this season with a poor family health history, I am guessing they would negotiate some sort of retirement just like they will do with Kirk if needed.

the Do It Right mandate is noble but the iowa administration needs to decide if they can truly maintain it and at the same time keep a high level of fan support.

Fran could finish dead last in the league this year and he'd still be back for '20-'21.

While I'd be fine with a change, I am actually not in favor of giving the current AD another major hire decision. Barta needs to go first.

Seems to me that Gary has hit on several of his hires over the past few years- even some that were not popular decisions. Not sure why people are so worried about this other than just regurgitating tired talking points and negativity.

Reactions: walleye hunter16
Seems to me that Gary has hit on several of his hires over the past few years- even some that were not popular decisions. Not sure why people are so worried about this other than just regurgitating tired talking points and negativity.
Could you please list these? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

Fran needs to exceed expectations this year or he will be getting third degree burns from his seat by this time next year. He has had more than enough time to turn the program into an upper level contender in the B1G.

I'll retort with this: ISU had the same issue. They hired two absolute stinkers of coaches in the 2000's who drove the program into the ground. Fred comes in and turns the program around in a few short years. And they recruit great athletes. If you can recruit to Ames, you can recruit to IC.

Look at minnesota football. They haven't been good in decades. Fleck comes in and has them playing for a conference championship in year 3.

Good coaches can turn programs around. Let's not curl up into a fetal position and accept this as our fate.

That’s not what I’m suggesting either. But I think we need to think about some of those bigger picture issues and priorities in order to identify how to fix them.

How does ISU recruit certain player types that Iowa struggles with. Why are out of stare kids from urban areas more likely to go to ISU than Iowa. I’m not entirely sure. But there is something there.

That’s not what I’m suggesting either. But I think we need to think about some of those bigger picture issues and priorities in order to identify how to fix them.

How does ISU recruit certain player types that Iowa struggles with. Why are out of stare kids from urban areas more likely to go to ISU than Iowa. I’m not entirely sure. But there is something there.

Hold on. Are all of ISU's players from urban areas or are you just making an assumption because they are black? Tyrese Haliburton is from Oshkosh Wisconsin dude. Their best recruit last year is from Maize Kansas. Zion Griffin is from Darien Illinois which is a white, relatively affluent suburb. Even Lindell Wigginton is from Canada for crying out loud.

Reactions: WildIowaCat
Whiffing on Foster stings. I'm not worried about missing on Foster so much as I am worried about missing on any sort of talent for another year. This class has got to be considered a failure. This year has proven that Fran is not a very good recruiter or, even if he is, his baggage is turning recruits off. Furthermore, his on the court product is competitive but not exceptional. Many prognosticators, including Iowa writers, do not predict Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team this year. That would make 1 tourney in 4 years. That is not good. Lickliter can't be blamed anymore. That is all Fran.

With that in mind, what is Fran's seat reasonably at? I know we just went to the round of 32, but Tom Davis was fired after going to the Sweet 16. If Fran misses on the Tourney this year, can we reasonably put him on the hot seat?

Personally, I think Fran should be on the hot seat right now, but his seat is cool as a cucumber with Barta in charge.

I am not too disappointed. Ogundele is still out there and maybe Sibley.

Reactions: WildIowaCat
Fran feels comfortable with the recruits he has. The Murray twins are definitely under rated. I think they will do well and are 4 year players.

The temperature of the coach’s seat isn’t determined by the recruits the coach misses on; its determined by on-court performance. Coming off a Round of 32 appearance, Fran’s seat is not even warm. Whether you agree with it or not, like it or not, it’s the truth

Didn't Barta just give Fran a big extension and buyout clauses year before last? IMO Fran is sitting on a block of ice. He's safe for a while yet. Only thing IMO that will change things is if Carver is less than half empty again like it was under Lickliter. $$$$$$$ talks.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Barta is the thermometer so it's at about 40 degrees. Which tells you just how bad Lickliter was...Barta actually fired him.

Barta also hired him. He has never, and will never, make a hire that will turn heads nationally.

Going all the way back to Ralph Miller, he also had recruiting problems. The great team of 1969-70 was made up of two Junior College players (Freddy Brown and John Johnson). Calabria, McGilmer, Jensen, and Vidnovic made up the six pack. Ralph took chances on players like Kevin Kunnert who was lightly recruited out of Wahlert. George Conway, Gary Lusk, and Tom Miller were other players that were not highly recruited and played very little under Miller..

Losing Foster hurts but Josh Ogundele I believe can make up for it if he signs with Iowa. He is a true Center with bulk who could be Garza's replacement once he graduates. Fran's current 2020 class is filled right now with players that were on the rise when he offered them. How they will pan out is to be determined.

I like the two guards that Fran will sign. Both Ulis and Perkins are solid defenders and are athletic and can take it to the hoop. Ulis will become a solid pg for Iowa. Perkins is a slasher who can create his own shot and is not afraid to take it to the basket.. As for the Murray twins, this is the real determination on how this class will ultimately be rated. Right now they are unknown and not rated by the recruiting services. I do believe in Fran's ability to recognize talent and he saw something in them over the summer to make an offer. It's not like Fran has never seen them play before. He recognized their potential after they have grown and added more physicality to their game.

Foster was a swing and a miss but this class could be completed well with the signing of Ogundele. We missed last year on Carton but got Toussaint instead. We missed on Foster this year but hopefully get Ogundele to fill out the 2020 class.

As a previous poster mentioned it is all about money.
Lickliter was fired because the fans voted with their
feet to stay out of Carver Hawkeye Arena. A half empty
arena gets the AD's attention. When money dries up
from big boosters that is another signal your program is
in trouble. Remember when the father of Matt Gatens
threatened to have his son leave the program if coach
Lickliter was not fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT