ADVERTISEMENT

From gambling allegations to this---Cody Chittum be gone? What's next?

St. John had injury issues as well. Stroll. Definitely seems like more guys have had major injuries than not. Wrestling is hard on the body, so some of that is to be expected obviously, but Iowa has got to be a routinely more injured team than most other programs.
Its not the quality of an athlete, its the durability of the athlete in D1 grind. This room is hard to stay healthy in. That would be a good start for any change at Iowa! Good luck with current mentality!

Nagoa got more at PSU. Carl tells his boys to under play the dough and over play "fun" to burnish the image.

Tom didn't screw up Chittum. It was tenuous at best. The first match he loses at ISU might trigger another transfer.

Don't get me wrong, it was worth it to try, but the Dad will never settle down

Bob.

He didn't get more at PSU. And guess what? This flirtation with Ferrari's cost us Nagao.

Tom DID screw up Chittum. The Chittum's were clear about the lack of want-to-do with the Ferrari family and Tom decided otherwise. Sure, you could say, "an athlete doesn't get to tell his coach who to recruit" - but the red flags were there about the family. And Chittum wasn't the only one to say not to recruit the Ferrari's. But sure, this is a helicopter dad problem.

Stop making excuses for Tom. That was just a bad business decision. One guy would have been a lifetime booster. But instead Tom is betting on a family who have done nothing BUT be a cancer no matter WHERE they've been.

Bob.

He didn't get more at PSU. And guess what? This flirtation with Ferrari's cost us Nagao.

Tom DID screw up Chittum. The Chittum's were clear about the lack of want-to-do with the Ferrari family and Tom decided otherwise. Sure, you could say, "an athlete doesn't get to tell his coach who to recruit" - but the red flags were there about the family. And Chittum wasn't the only one to say not to recruit the Ferrari's. But sure, this is a helicopter dad problem.

Stop making excuses for Tom. That was just a bad business decision. One guy would have been a lifetime booster. But instead Tom is betting on a family who have done nothing BUT be a cancer no matter WHERE they've been.
vhs vs bob...

1sRK.gif

The Chittum family will play up the Ferrari angle all day long. It makes them look like the ones who were wronged (as they move on to yet another program).

People want to cast stones at the Ferrari's, and they are a risky proposition for TnT to take on... but so was Chittum with his family history.

ISU can have him... they are perfect for each other.

OK, I will bite. What's the Chittum's "family history"?

The Chittum family will play up the Ferrari angle all day long. It makes them look like the ones who were wronged (as they move on to yet another program).

People want to cast stones at the Ferrari's, and they are a risky proposition for TnT to take on... but so was Chittum with his family history.
Exactly. And if the Ferrari’s never entered the picture it was going to be something else.

TNT cannot win with fans. Damn them for not fielding a team that can contend with Portal State and damn them when they try.

Exactly. And if the Ferrari’s never entered the picture it was going to be something else.

TNT cannot win with fans. Damn them for not fielding a team that can contend with Portal State and damn them when they try.
TNT CAN win with fans. I get that PSU is the dominant program right now, but that doesn't take away from the issues that Tom refuses to address.

And then when he does address one of them (recruiting/transfers that are finalists) - he picks a group of people who are not only hated by fans - but by HIS OWN ATHLETES.

Tom has a management of people problem, and it just keeps rearing its head. It's frustrating.

ISU can have him... they are perfect for each other.
I’d rather have Chittum than all 3 Ferrari’s.

Tom didn't screw up Chittum. It was tenuous at best. The first match he loses at ISU might trigger another transfer.

Bob, reading tea leaves on here leads me to believe you were a big part of this situation.

you were alluding on these very boards, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly that you were all in favor of, and pushing for, bringing in the Ferraris months ago. and you're very clearly a bag man.

anyone with half a brain knew it was going to end like this.

so don't pivot and talk sh!t on Shane and Cody.

you took a very unwise gamble. take your L like an adult.

Bob, reading tea leaves on here leads me to believe you were a big part of this situation.

you were alluding on these very boards, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly that you were all in favor of, and pushing for, bringing in the Ferraris months ago. and you're very clearly a bag man.

Do you think this will be the end? You alluded to there being others who aren't happy on your show.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Nagoa got more at PSU. Carl tells his boys to under play the dough and over play "fun" to burnish the image.

Iowa was far and away the high bidder for both Nagao and Truax.

TNT not being forthcoming with multiple families is your answer.

Dad looking out for his son is basically describing 95% of all wrestling dads.

Why do you keep trying to make me like you Willie? I'm having a hard time with this concept of you and me on the same page.

TNT CAN win with fans. I get that PSU is the dominant program right now, but that doesn't take away from the issues that Tom refuses to address.

And then when he does address one of them (recruiting/transfers that are finalists) - he picks a group of people who are not only hated by fans - but by HIS OWN ATHLETES.

Tom has a management of people problem, and it just keeps rearing its head. It's frustrating.
This. Damn. Maybe puts the Gilman fallout and Ramos fallout in a new light.

This. Damn. Maybe puts the Gilman fallout and Ramos fallout in a new light.
It is a very clear weak spot for him. And those two aren't the only ones. Remember when he supposedly wasn't talking to Schwab for taking the UNI job? DSJ and Metcalf?

Managing people is an essential part of this gig and Tom sucks at it. Can't think of a single other program with this kind of toxic relationship with its alumni.

"Come to Iowa! You'll hate us by the time you leave!" What an enticing pitch.

Iowa and the Brands are desperate.... simple as can be. Why would you even touch the Ferrari's? Top level schools do not need to fish in these waters. All the signs point to nothing but distractions and issues with these guys so why would you even think you can tame them? Its a desperate attempt at relevancy. Iowa is not now that Lee has left. The slide will accelerate over the next couple of years. They will struggle to be top 5 and that means the B&B boys will be run out of town and a PSU disciple will follow which will be the final blow to the children of the corn.

My son is being recruited by various aerospace industry outfits. Currently he's working for a place in Austin, Texas in the business , but he's been looking at other options with other companies.

He still calls me and goes over the situation with me. We have an adult conversation about it, and he makes up his own mind.

Funny thing is questions I often bring up out the new job are things he has easy answers for which shows he's been really thinking about things.

He's going to be 29 btw, so if a wrestler wants to talk with his father about where he wants to go to school I'd say that's pretty normal. . They're going to look at pros and cons and team chemistry might be a big part of the equation. Add in that Chittum knows of the Ferraris and it makes a lot of sense.

Every source I see on YouTube and the web forums claim that Iowa offered the most money for Truax or Nagao. He's the only one I see claiming that Penn State offered more money.

So I'm gonna say it's not about the money and there are other factors at play.

going down seriously GIF by Bellator

i don't know what kids/parents will do. but what i do know is that Chittum wasn't/isn't the only one not cool with the move on the Ferrari's. which...duh.
I'm guessing Chittum was probably the most affected by it, though, given his history with them at Blair. Other guys may look at it and say they don't like bombastic, belligerent blowhards (and possible criminals) on the team, but no one else (to my knowledge) has the history with the family that Chittum does.

Bob.

V,

Would be good to address you as your name.

I disagree. Nagao got the standard 30K a month at PSU, the most any school offered. If you can supply the contract for less than that, I'll concede. He'd have been a nice get, but there are other fish in the sea.

Tom did not screw up on Chittum. In a different way, he took a chance on him. Chittum's Dad(handler) produced quite the HS resume of school hopping. Then, instead of signing with Iowa, Dad insisted on a gray shirt year to keep his options open. Cody loved Iowa and Iowa loved Cody. Dad gets upset the F's were recruited and started shopping again. He goes to Iowa State with: a free transfer year, a RS year to cover the next transfer, a med RS in case the worst happens, and potentially an Oly RS year in 2027. Care to bet the over/under on how long he stays in L'Ames?

I say fine, he can do what he wants. Personally and professionally I disagree. I'd be happy to share a beer with you on this as it takes too long to type.

Yes, I was disappointed Chittum left, like everyone here. However, I feel this program is on the right path, and no excuses need to be made. You have alleged athletes were going to leave the program due to this, yet none have. In fact, I can't remember anyone leaving in recent memory. It seems to me you have a large bone to pick, and are wearing it out.

If any of the F's come, I believe ground rules will apply for the entire family. They too have to be let in by the U, and as Anthony found out that's not a given. If they don't we'll find other guys to fill the goal of a finalist at every weight. You are free to believe what you want.

Hey Jimmy Olsen,

You call yourself a journalist? You're nothing but a social climbing boot licker, and thanks for admitting that you have half a brain.

Yes, I was and am for recruiting the F's, and have said if the U let's em in (which apparently they did not for Anthony), and Tom feels they'll abide by team rules, then get em. To somehow imply I set policy and procedure for Iowa is delusional.

Chittum situations was tenuous due to the Dad. The HS resume changed every year for a reason. This past year there was zero commit to Iowa. I never said anything negative on Cody and made simple observations on the controlling Dad, that even you, with half a brain could surmise. On the over/under of one year in L'Ames, I'll take under. What say you?

As the only adult on this post, I say stay the course. Iowa will be just fine, and you'll be still hating on us.

If it makes you feel better, keep telling yourself these things. Looking out for and trying to completely control the world are two quite different approaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT