ADVERTISEMENT

Garza - NBA

Dog is on a roll lately with opinions I completely disagree with. Watching the Warriors run this past decade was one of the most exciting basketball experiences I've had in my life. Curry opened up the game so much from the hack-a-Shaq days. Right now it's the season of the 3, and that's thanks to Curry.

I don't watch the NBA so I can't express any opinion about whether Luka's game translates to the pro version. What I do know is that he has excelled against players who others assume will make NBA rosters.
That said, I truly hope Luka returns for what could be a magical senior season.

Reactions: kwinks1
I think he makes a roster. The right coach can figure out a way to utilize his post game IMO. 10-15 minutes of him posting up a night might cause defenses a problem. The league don’t seem much of it anymore.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Only issue is, he will be going against 7' athletic centers, similar to what he faced against Illinois. He may last a year or two in the NBA, but I think his work ethic is only going to get him so far in the NBA. Hope I am wrong.

Only issue is, he will be going against 7' athletic centers, similar to what he faced against Illinois. He may last a year or two in the NBA, but I think his work ethic is only going to get him so far in the NBA. Hope I am wrong.
Theres not that many guys as big as Koffi anymore and most are pretty old.

Its hard to have real bigs on the court in the nba because they just get destroyed in pick and roll.

The clippers are playing 5 guards now against the mavs and Luca Doncic because they can't have a big on the floor or they give up a 3 every time.

Mobility is more desirable than size now, so athletic yes but not that big anymore.

Thats Luka real problem is hes just not that mobile which is why he's dropping weight.

If he needed to bang against guys like Koffi he'd be trying to add weight.

Last edited:
The right team can find a role for Luka, maybe as a 4/5 off the bench. Luka may not be as quick as almost anyone in the NBA, but he can shoot better than almost any big men. You would not want him guarding an opposing big who was much of an offensive threat.

Luka has a lot going for him staying in the league. Good footwork, work ethic, he's used to playing double and triple teams, good hands catching the ball, and true NBA shooters touch. Can't wait to see him playing with some room to work.

Reactions: Ronman
The right team can find a role for Luka, maybe as a 4/5 off the bench. Luka may not be as quick as almost anyone in the NBA, but he can shoot better than almost any big men. You would not want him guarding an opposing big who was much of an offensive threat.
Yeah, he's deep bench best case scenario.

If he can get his 3pt percent north of 45 I could see a role for him playing a few minutes a half.

Theres not that many guys as big as Koffi anymore and most are pretty old.

Its hard to have real bigs on the court in the nba because they just get destroyed in pick and roll.

The clippers are playing 5 guards now against the mavs and Luca Doncic because they can't have a big on the floor or they give up a 3 every time.

Mobility is more desirable than size now, so athletic yes but not that big anymore.

Thats Luka real problem is hes just not that mobile which is why he's dropping weight.

If he needed to bang against guys like Koffi he'd be trying to add weight.
thats the issue, koffi had the beef, but in the nba, they have height, a lot quicker twitch and much better hops. He may find a niche, the biggest thing he has going for him is finding his 3 point shot.

thats the issue, koffi had the beef, but in the nba, they have height, a lot quicker twitch and much better hops. He may find a niche, the biggest thing he has going for him is finding his 3 point shot.

How Luka matches up with other 5s isn't the issue, its that can't defend the perimeter.

There is basically no back to the basket game in the nba. Embid and Jokic are about it.

Most nba teams aren't interested in post offense so he won't be posting up or defending against it.

A 5 has to be able to defend guards beyond the 3 line because all the offense is initiated behind the 3 line.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
How Luka matches up with other 5s isn't the issue, its that can't defend the perimeter.

There is basically no back to the basket game in the nba. Embid and Jokic are about it.

Most nba teams aren't interested in post offense so he won't be posting up or defending against it.

A 5 has to be able to defend guards beyond the 3 line because all the offense is initiated behind the 3 line.

Embiid shot three 3's per game at 38% this year.

Jokic also shot three 3's per game at 39% this year.

Everybody shoots threes and everybody makes them.

If Georges Niang is apart of a rotation then Garza needs to be in The League.
I think they have something in common in that neither has great athleticism or speed but they both work incredibly hard at getting better. Georges defense has gotten much better, has good handles and passing and mostly set up outside and shoots 3's. I think Garza may stick but will have to find the right fit pretty quick, if he doesn't not sure how many chances he will get, but can't deny his work ethic.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Embiid shot three 3's per game at 38% this year.

Jokic also shot three 3's per game at 39% this year.

Everybody shoots threes and everybody makes them.
Yes, I wasn't saying they don't shoot 3s , I just said they're two of only a few guys that will post up more than once or twice a game.

Luka wouldn't be defending people in the post very often nor would he be posting up very often. Its just not a part of nba offense anymore.

He'd be a pick and pop guy who would only maybe occasionally post up smaller 5s once in a blue moon.

If Georges Niang is apart of a rotation then Garza needs to be in The League.
Different games, but likely needs a similar path if Luka is to make it in the league. Luka's 3-pt %, especially his senior year, was better than Georges' at any point while in college. Georges' shot it well enough people had to play it, then he could take them off the dribble. Luka was almost never going to try to take people off the dribble, but I actually saw him try to do that a few times in the latter half of this past season. Georges was able to get his NBA 3% to 40% or better each of the past few years, and with better D he has earned more rotation time. If Luka can do that, he has a chance. Georges is no lock down defender, but he isn't the liability on D he was earlier in his career. While Luka has good offensive footwork, his lateral movement on D, especially on the wing guarding a big who can shoot, or on a pick and roll, will be what ultimately determines if he can make a roster or not. Hard to question his work ethic though.

Last edited:
The league is about offense. Tyler is athletic, butt Luka can hit shots at a great percentage from all three levels a and is a better rebounder. Tyler is currently on the Detroit roster, and may well stick. A lot of the lower level teams are looking for the offense he can provide Now your watching the best teams in the NBA. I won't say Luka will start on these teams, but to make an NBA roster. Yep I'm pretty sure he's going to make it somewhere. In the league as a whole their are players who are less polished than Luka. And his defense is underrated.

Reactions: HFan1981
If Luka can provide some offense by posting up, a smart coach will use him that way, despite what other teams are doing. There is no rule that says every team has to play the same offense.

Reactions: silasstarr
Off the dribble is a bit unfair with Garza seeing so many double teams anytime he caught the ball
Double teams came in the post more than the perimeter. Question is if some one closes out not under control at the three line could he make them pay off the dribble? He generally shouldn’t have trouble getting his shot off over someone, but they will play him tighter if his dribble isn’t respected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT