HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Severe restrictions Georgia Republicans just put in place:

New voter ID requirements for absentee ballots
Empower state officials to take over local elections boards
Limit the use of ballot drop boxes
Make it a crime to approach voters in line to give them food and water
Click to shrink...

The Republican-controlled Georgia Legislature on Thursday passed a sweeping bill to limit voting access, putting the state on the verge of becoming the first major battleground to overhaul its electoral process since last year’s election. The bill, which follows Democratic victories that flipped the state at the presidential and Senate levels, will now head to the desk of Gov. Brian Kemp, a Republican, who is expected to sign it.

Democrats and voting rights groups have condemned the legislation, arguing that it unfairly targets voters of color. They say it particularly seeks to make voting harder for the state’s large Black population, which was crucial to President Biden’s victory in Georgia in November and the success of Senators Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff in the January runoff elections.
Click to shrink...
Though the bill is less stringent than its initial iteration was, it introduces a raft of new restrictions for voting and elections in the state, including stricter voter identification requirements, limiting drop boxes, stripping the secretary of state of some of his authority, imposing new oversight of county election boards, restricting who can vote with provisional ballots, and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in lines. The bill also requires runoff elections to be held four weeks after the original vote, instead of the current nine weeks.

The bill does not include some of the harshest restrictions that had been introduced in its earlier versions, like a ban on Sunday voting that had been seen as an attempt to curtail the role of Black churches in driving turnout. And the legislation now, in fact, expands early voting options in some areas. No-excuse absentee voting, in which voters do not have to provide a rationale for casting a ballot by mail, also remains in place, though new restrictions such as providing a state-issued identification card have been placed on the process.

Click to shrink...

I still have no idea why they felt the need to ban giving food and water to people in line. Seriously, that just seems petty.

This crap is just evil, they know people have to be out there for hours and hours: “Make it a crime to approach voters in line to give them food and water”

How the hell do you justify that with a straight face?

I have seen people argue other points, I understand some arguments even if I do not agree , but how in the hell does something so anti American get made into law, this is embarrassing beyond belief.

Click to shrink...

I still have no idea why they felt the need to ban giving food and water to people in line. Seriously, that just seems petty.
It's well known that properly hydrated people are much more likely to commit voter fraud.

I like how Kemp got all indignant and hoisted himself up on a cross decrying how people were saying these moves are racist. He's probably a smidgeon right on this. It has more to do with being morally bankrupt and out of ideas. The GOP simply cannot win elections in competitive areas, so they must tip the scales. The problem is, this will suppress stupid white people voters, too. Trump brought a lot of people to the polls in 2016 and 2020. They are irregular voters, and we will see how aggressive officials are at purging white voters who miss an election or two? Republicans have traditionally outperformed Dems at mail in ballots, and this makes it harder for older, less ambulatory whites to vote. I don't see how that helps the GOP.
It is again worth mentioning that these voter suppression laws all seem to be similarly written. Almost like some think tank over in DC is cranking out boiler plate legislation for Republicans to introduce around the country.

I pray that they try to stop voters from getting food. In fact, one of those Georgia districts should make a big deal about feeding people in line. Then let's see the police come in and arrest them on national TV. Then let's see them get their asses sued.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Time for Dems to play dirty like Mitch and Company. Time for far left, center left, conservative left, and moderate GOP to unite.

The history majors can see what these Q GOP, Trump GOP, and Proud boys are setting up. They are truly trying to set up a civil war 4 or 5 years from now. Start race wars, blame it on libs, minorities and anyone of the white persuasion that does not agree with their fascists beliefs.

I pray that they try to stop voters from getting food. In fact, one of those Georgia districts should make a big deal about feeding people in line. Then let's see the police come in and arrest them on national TV. Then let's see them get their asses sued.
Don't fool yourself. Except for a few urban counties with Dem control, the Boss Hogg's of Georgia will relish the opportunity to live out the life that their pappy and grandpappy did.

I'm a little fuzzy, but didn't the SCOTUS make some ruling a few years ago overruling decades of federal oversight for the states that made up the Confederacy? That's why I have a sense of dread about this. Surely the SCOTUS saw this coming, and is okay with it.

I imagine the great Governor of Iowa is on some conference call tonite figuring out how she can begin the process.

Reactions: hawkbirch
This crap is just evil, they know people have to be out there for hours and hours: “Make it a crime to approach voters in line to give them food and water”

How the hell do you justify that with a straight face?

I don’t live in GA, but if I did and my wife was in line for hours to vote, would this law prohibit me from bringing her a water and a sandwich? What a freaking joke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT