ADVERTISEMENT

Germany to deploy troops in Lithuania, first move of its kind since World War II

The no pic wife's cousin and her husband are Latvians and he's stationed on the Russian border. He was showing me some videos of snowboarding behind jeeps like water skiing on the snow covered roads, when they visited last summer. I hope to bring him to Colorado or Utah boarding next winter. Humble guy who you wouldn't mess with...

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
With the Germans, I sometimes wonder if there isn’t a deep-seated feeling of regret and remorse for the role their country played in WW II and a desire to get on the “right side” of one these conflicts. A sort of atonement, if you will.

Germany currently has 1,000 troops "temporarily" in Lithuania.

After Russia's invasion in 2014, and especially after the 2022 one, NATO forward deployed battlegroups to all member border states:

"NATO’s military presence in the eastern part of the Alliance is a key part of its strengthened deterrence and defence posture, which has been enhanced in recent years to reflect the new security reality in the Euro-Atlantic area. Russia’s illegal and illegitimate annexation of Crimea in 2014 and full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022 have fundamentally changed the security environment in Europe, and NATO has responded by significantly strengthening its readiness to protect and defend all Allies. The forward presence of Allied forces is defensive, proportionate, transparent and in line with the Alliance’s international commitments and obligations. It represents a significant commitment by Allies and is a tangible reminder that an attack on one NATO Ally is an attack on all.

NATO’s forward presence comprises eight multinational battlegroups, provided by framework nations and other contributing Allies on a voluntary, fully sustainable and rotational basis. The battlegroups operate in concert with national home defence forces and are present at all times in the host countries. All eight battlegroups are fully combat-capable formations."

With the Germans, I sometimes wonder if there isn’t a deep-seated feeling of regret and remorse for the role their country played in WW II and a desire to get on the “right side” of one these conflicts. A sort of atonement, if you will.
Definitely part of the German psyche.

More a desire to never be in one again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT