ADVERTISEMENT

Getting out of Dodge today, and small town living miscellany...

Aardvark86

HB Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
1. So Bibi speaks at Congress at 2 today, and I can only assume that downtown DC is going to be a cluster**** between security and protestors in the late afternoon. So, all-knowing board, how do I get home from work today: Metro or MetroBus?
2. Two weeks ago I moved to Lexington, VA, and it's been great so far. But in the past week...
a. I've met my first true "southern gothic" neighbor. Former lawyer, defendant, itinerant preacher, and editor of one of the Firefly series of books about Appalachian culture. Very hard to tell what parts of what he says is and isn't true.
b. While I'm up here in DC this week working, last night Mrs. A had a glass of wine with a new neighbor, who as it turns out (i) my father taught in high school in 1962 in PA, and (ii) was college roommates with the woman who boards my daughter's horse/lawn ornament in GA.
So much for getting away from it all.

1. So Bibi speaks at Congress at 2 today, and I can only assume that downtown DC is going to be a cluster**** between security and protestors in the late afternoon. So, all-knowing board, how do I get home from work today: Metro or MetroBus?
2. Two weeks ago I moved to Lexington, VA, and it's been great so far. But in the past week...
a. I've met my first true "southern gothic" neighbor. Former lawyer, defendant, itinerant preacher, and editor of one of the Firefly series of books about Appalachian culture. Very hard to tell what parts of what he says is and isn't true.
b. While I'm up here in DC this week working, last night Mrs. A had a glass of wine with a new neighbor, who as it turns out (i) my father taught in high school in 1962 in PA, and (ii) was college roommates with the woman who boards my daughter's horse/lawn ornament in GA.
It’s a small world. But I’d hate to paint it.

Shit yourself. A path will open up for you.
Reminds me of a passage from an old Tour de France book, where the author talked about the first time riding the Tour and he saw a contender trying to chase a guy down with shit running down his legs. And he said to himself something to the effect of "I guess if you actually think you could win this thing you keep riding while you've shit yourself."

Pic of Mrs A? There are rules.

1. I don't think you want to try to take the bus - sounds like the roads will be a mess with traffic, closures, protests, etc. Stay underground!

2. Lexington, VA? Man, you really did try to get away from it all! Couldn't you have gotten the same aesthetic in Front Royal or Luray?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT