ADVERTISEMENT

Getting to 85

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
With the departure of VanderBush and the Deacon it looks like we are at around 87. I would expect a a transfer portal QB and WR, Our greatest areas of need. That puts us up around 89.

Had have heard rumblings in the past of two months of three more medical hardships, which I always hate to hear.
Myslinski, Montgomery and Bowie were all mention at one point or another. We still are up at least one if those three happen. Will be interesting how 85 comes to pass.

Reactions: jerbob36
With the departure of VanderBush and the Deacon it looks like we are at around 87. I would expect a a transfer portal QB and WR, Our greatest areas of need. That puts us up around 89.

Had have heard rumblings in the past of two months of three more medical hardships, which I always hate to hear.
Myslinski, Montgomery and Bowie were all mention at one point or another. We still are up at least one if those three happen. Will be interesting how 85 comes to pass.
Bowie was playing DT last Saturday and looked really good. I think he could see some playing time this coming season.

Montgomery has also been practicing, which makes in unlikely he medically retires.

Bowie was playing DT last Saturday and looked really good. I think he could see some playing time this coming season.
Good to hear, always liked the young man coming out of West Branch. Montgomery practicing, that is good news also.

Reactions: Torg

Have seen comments on other threads that some players currently on scholarship may be shifted to PWO status before fall semester starts to get down to 85. That will allow staff to dip into the portal for QB(s) and WR without having to Crean players from roster.

Reactions: tomander
Didn't know they could do that. I guess everything is on the table these days.

Have seen comments on other threads that some players currently on scholarship may be shifted to PWO status before fall semester starts to get down to 85. That will allow staff to dip into the portal for QB(s) and WR without having to Crean players from roster.
I am sure lots of schools will do the same.

Isn't taking their scholarship away technically "Creaning"?

Reactions: RayRay3454
They aren't taking scholarships, but they are having real hard conversations. Sounds like more guys entering the portal yet today. We have to get below 85.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The drive to 85!

With NIL a big part of the equation now, it isn’t going to be the same for players to just be on scholarship and not produce in some manner - offense, defense, or special teams. If you aren’t giving a return on investment then you will be asked to leave. It’s just the way it is now with these “student athletes”.

If you look at the numbers by position, the 3 areas that we're over loaded are: OL, LB, and RB. So I would expect most, if not all, of the portal departures to be from those 3 position groups.

I would also expect the Swarm to step in and assist "removing" a few grad guys from the scholarship list to assist with getting to 85. DeJong and Fisher come to mind.

We're at 87 right now with the latest departures. I would expect us to pick up a QB (hopefully Sullivan from NW), a WR (probably the guy from MO St), and maybe a DL. That means we need 5 guys to leave, medically retire, and/or have their scholly dollars picked up by extra Swarm $.

A couple of these have been talked about already but I wanted to look back at the 21 and 22 classes to see the ones that have not left already that have not appeared on the 2 deeps yet:

Liddle
Bowie
Twedt
Hilson
Myslinksi

Crawford
Krogh
Van Kekerix
Montgomery

I don't know who from the above list is injured (Liddle, Bowie, Montgomery, and Myslinski have been mentioned) but most of these guys have been passed by recruits from more recent classes.

If you look at the numbers by position, the 3 areas that we're over loaded are: OL, LB, and RB. So I would expect most, if not all, of the portal departures to be from those 3 position groups.

I would also expect the Swarm to step in and assist "removing" a few grad guys from the scholarship list to assist with getting to 85. DeJong and Fisher come to mind.

We're at 87 right now with the latest departures. I would expect us to pick up a QB (hopefully Sullivan from NW), a WR (probably the guy from MO St), and maybe a DL. That means we need 5 guys to leave, medically retire, and/or have their scholly dollars picked up by extra Swarm $.

You can not move to walk on if you stepped foot on a college campus four or more years ago (relative to Fall school year). One of the many oddities of NCAA rules.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Isn't taking their scholarship away technically "Creaning"?
Not if they agree to become a PWO.

I'm not saying I agree with those tactics, but many avenues get explored when Iowa FB is still over 85 and pursuing others in the portal.

I am pretty sure schollies are on a year by year basis. So if a schollie athlete can be moved to PWO with some NIL, grants and scholarships to pay most of their education they could be on the team and it would free up a free ride.
I seem to recall there was a ruling that full scholarships for sports in the B1G were basically a 4 year contract? I'm sure somebody on here knows the rules and will respond.

Reactions: kkhawk and ping72
Didn't know they could do that. I guess everything is on the table these days.
It would be nice to get an OFFICIAL response on that one. I'd heard that if a recruit ever took an official visit to a school they could not become a walk on at any time. Lord only knows what the rules are now, if there are any...Of course Iowa will be the school slapped with some penalty......

A couple of these have been talked about already but I wanted to look back at the 21 and 22 classes to see the ones that have not left already that have not appeared on the 2 deeps yet:

Liddle
Bowie
Twedt
Hilson
Myslinksi

Crawford
Krogh
Van Kekerix
Montgomery

I don't know who from the above list is injured (Liddle, Bowie, Montgomery, and Myslinski have been mentioned) but most of these guys have been passed by recruits from more recent classes.
I saw on social media yesterday that Liddle had taken a medical?

Reactions: cmhawks99
You can not move to walk on if you stepped foot on a college campus four or more years ago (relative to Fall school year). One of the many oddities of NCAA rules.
It is my understanding that the B!0 went to 4 year sholarships a number of years ago. That means 4 years guaranteed. A 5th year or more player can lose the scholarship, but still receive NIL money to cover his tuition. Thus any 5th year player losing his scholarship, but getting NIL money reduces the number on scholarship.

Reactions: kkhawk
From 2014 -

The Big Ten announced Wednesday that all of its institutions will grant athletic scholarships for the entire term of an athlete's enrollment and allow some athletes who leave school to return and finish their degrees on scholarship.

Scholarships will be "neither reduced nor cancelled" as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community. If athletes leave school for "a bona fide reason," they will be allowed to return at a later date to complete their degrees on scholarship.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

Liddle
Bowie
Twedt
Hilson
Myslinksi

Crawford
Krogh
Van Kekerix
Montgomery

HIlson has been on the depth chart before.

Reactions: Ladell-hawk
I don't know the specifics of the rules, but I was thinking I had read somewhere that a school could do that if a student had completed 4 years. I know I've read of other schools doing it.

From 2014 -

The Big Ten announced Wednesday that all of its institutions will grant athletic scholarships for the entire term of an athlete's enrollment and allow some athletes who leave school to return and finish their degrees on scholarship.

Scholarships will be "neither reduced nor cancelled" as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community. If athletes leave school for "a bona fide reason," they will be allowed to return at a later date to complete their degrees on scholarship.
Iowa gives 4 year scholarships.
However to go thru what is required for a fball player it isn’t worth it for most people unless you’re going to play.

From 2014 -

And there you have it......

Will the afternoon came and gone and the players that easyhawk said whould enter the portal didn’t happen

Reactions: mstrub
Clean living. That's how you get to 85. Unless you're my mother in law. Smoked and drank her whole life. She's 94 and going strong. Genetics are everything.
Isn’t that the truth. Funny we never consider that when thinking about getting married.

I could get roasted for this but now can't the NIL funds just pay for a guy's expenses? You could skirt the rules of the 85 man roster by paying really good players, even starters, and they wouldn't have to worry about being on scholarship and count towards the limit? I thought I heard this was happening already until the NCAA addresses it?

Reactions: amahawk
Scott Docterman said a player left or got let go yesterday anybody hearing anything on it

Was AJ Lawson still at iowa? On3 Says he is in the portal from iowa but I don’t remember him being on the team last year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT