ADVERTISEMENT

Give me your best pizza dough recipe

Not what you want to hear, but I just use pre-made crusts from the deli.

Stonefire_ArtisanPizzaCrust_4-Pack-8.5-CA-front_2022-9-5.png

Reactions: EasyHawk
Just use tortillas. Personal pizzas cooked on cast iron in a grill. The perfect thin crust pizza.
We’ve done that. Even better going that route is to fry them so they are basically flat taco salad shells, drain them, and to make a “Mexican pizza” in the oven with a refried bean base and your favorite cheese to melt. When done in the oven, Top with your favorite taco/fajita stuff. Well shit, maybe I will just do that today…

Just use tortillas. Personal pizzas cooked on cast iron in a grill. The perfect thin crust pizza.
When you go this route to you pre-bake the tortilla so it is crispy? Or do you put oil in there so it basically fries in the skillet?

The Dough​

• 3/4 cup warm water
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp organic sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let activate for 10 minutes – it should become foamy. If it's not foamy, then the yeast is may be too old or your water was too hot.
  • Stir in oil and salt.
  • Mix in 1/2 cup flour at a time.
  • Knead (using your hands or a dough hook in a stand mixer) until it forms a cohesive ball. It will still be a little sticky but you should be able to pick it up as one piece. If it's far too sticky, add 1-2 more tablespoons of flour at a time until it comes together.
  • Continue to knead for 5 minutes.
  • Place the ball of dough into a large greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm location for 1 hour or until doubled in size. I let my dough rise in the oven with JUST the oven light on.
  • Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (make sure to remove the dough from the oven if you let it rise in there.)
  • Punch the dough down and knead a couple of times until it becomes smooth and more firm. At this point, you can store the dough in the freezer or fridge until later…or make a pizza!

I make a lot of homemade pizza and there isn’t a huge different between making the crust from scratch or the packages. Plus it’s a lot faster, although it’s difficult to get the crust super thin at home.

The biggest difference is the sauce and oven to make a good pizza. The hotter the oven the better!

When I do make myself I use:
  • 2-2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 packet instant yeast
  • 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
  • ¾ salt
  • ⅛-¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • ¾ cup warm water

The Dough​

• 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp organic sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let activate for 10 minutes – it should become foamy. If it's not foamy, then the yeast is may be too old or your water was too hot.
  • Stir in oil and salt.
  • Knead (using your hands or a dough hook in a stand mixer) until it forms a cohesive ball. It will still be a little sticky but you should be able to pick it up as one piece. If it's far too sticky, add 1-2 more tablespoons of flour at a time until it comes together.
  • Place the ball of dough into a large greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm location for 1 hour or until doubled in size. I let my dough rise in the oven with JUST the oven light on.
  • Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (make sure to remove the dough from the oven if you let it rise in there.)
  • Punch the dough down and knead a couple of times until it becomes smooth and more firm. At this point, you can store the dough in the freezer or fridge until later…or make a pizza!

no-time-busy.gif

We’ve done that. Even better going that route is to fry them so they are basically flat taco salad shells, drain them, and to make a “Mexican pizza” in the oven with a refried bean base and your favorite cheese to melt. When done in the oven, Top with your favorite taco/fajita stuff. Well shit, maybe I will just do that today…
Responding to myself, this is essentially a tostada.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy

The Dough​

• 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp organic sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Stir in oil and salt.
Use a high quality, high gluten, bread flour. Not all purpose flour.

Your local Hy Vee has a wide assortment of delicious frozen pizza crusts as well, including GF and cauliflower crusts for those with dietary restrictions.

I use Joe’s recipe. Comes out pretty good. Haven’t tried the store bought but if there isn’t much difference, I will go that way because making at home is pain in the ass.

I have a gas oven and a solid pizza steel, both of which help.

100% All Trumps
57% Water
2.7% Salt
1.5% Sugar
0.5% Fresh Yeast

I use Joe’s recipe. Comes out pretty good. Haven’t tried the store bought but if there isn’t much difference, I will go that way because making at home is pain in the ass.

I have a gas oven and a solid pizza steel, both of which help.

100% All Trumps
57% Water
2.7% Salt
1.5% Sugar
0.5% Fresh Yeast

Many people are saying 100% All Trumps is the best there’s ever been. Can’t get better than 100%, but we may come out with 110% All Trumps.

I'm not a salt person, you can get more than your fill with the sauce/cheese/toppings imo, this will make a decent crust in a sheet pan

• 2 tsp instant dry yeast
  • ¼ tsp brown sugar
  • ¾ cup warm water ((110°F to 115°F))
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp powdered milk
  • ~2 ½ cups flour

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT