ADVERTISEMENT

golf cart crashes

Worked at a golf course during high school and college summers, so I've flipped a cart or two.

My favorite game we played was "The Trust Game" where you had to drive full speed with your eyes closed and listen to the other guy for directions. The person who kept their eyes closed the longest won. Sometimes we just mixed it up and directed them straight into a tree or sand trap. Good times.

I saw two Iowa wrestlers flip a cart in a sand trap at Finkbine after a rain delay ( free beer ) at the Ageon best ball. I remember an Iowa place kicker in the seventies ( I want to say Scott Schilling? )who flipped a cart, severing his achilles tendon.

Yes! My memory has not failed yet. It was 1977 in the run up to the most hyped Iowa game in years - the renewal of the Iowa - Iowa State game:

By Friday every motel room as far away as Cedar Rapids, 25 miles north of Iowa City, was booked. Restaurants were overflowing. In the bar of one of them taped highlights of the Northwestern victory were being shown. The newspapers fed readers a torrent of trivia: lineups, fight songs, what the two coaches were doing during the last Iowa-Iowa State game (both were infants) and interviews with families who had children at both schools (State Athletic Director Lou McCullough had two sons attending Iowa). There were scare stories: young Bobby Commings was hurt in practice. Untrue. Iowa Placekicker Scott Schilling severed his Achilles tendon when a golf cart tipped over on him. True, and it nearly cost Iowa the ball game.

But on the second play following the kickoff, Commings handed off to Tailback Dennis Mosley, who bolted 77 yards to a touchdown. But not the tying TD. Punter Dave Holsclaw, placekicking because of Schilling's injury, missed the extra point. State held on to its lead, 7-6.

Not for long. When State fumbled following the kickoff, Iowa recovered and scored on two smashes by Jon Lazar, the second covering 10 yards. Trying for two points, Iowa failed and led 12-7.

That, for all intents, was the game. State added a field goal early in the second quarter, and then both teams engaged in a punting duel—there were 21 in all. Iowa made only one first down in the second half, but State wasn't going anywhere, either. The Cyclones did get one last chance late in the game when they took over just inside mid-field and made two first downs to make it firs

I have flipped several. But how on earth do you follow that story! LOL

RW7TeGX.gif

played a round today and about killed my buddy when I took a corner to fast and got the thing on two wheels. Anyone ever flip one of these damn thing?

Never flipped one but I did have an interesting experience one spring in Colorado. We had had a recent warm up that had melted most of the snow (except for one drift at least on one of the greens) and I came down a long paved cart path and hit a saturated strip of grass. We hydro-planed into a complete 360 and kept going. The guy riding with me was from Alabama and asked me where I had learned that. We were both about 3 sheets to the wind at that point.

played a round today and about killed my buddy when I took a corner to fast and got the thing on two wheels. Anyone ever flip one of these damn thing?

I haven't, but I've seen several. My home course has a couple of serious hills. Signs posted at the top warning people, but they sell beer.

Never flipped one.

I put one in a water hazard one time (forgot to apply parking break) and it took off. Was a little tipsy. Luckily it was my parents cart and not a rental.

My buddy put one in a bunker, that was funny because he kept trying to get it out before anyone saw. He was digging and pushing like no other, but that thing was buried.

When I worked at the golf course one summer I came out on Friday morning (after mens night) and saw one wrapped around a tree. It was a rental "member/guest" night and it was destroyed. I assume someone was plowed and was trying to go for a late night joy ride and smoked the tree. They were able to trace the cart back to some guy who a guest of a lawyer in town. He picked up the bill for his friend.

This one happened in Omaha in 2009:

Charges Dropped in Golf Cart Crash Death
kimberlymcillece.jpg

By Ann McIntire |

Posted: Tue 10:14 AM, Oct 27, 2009 |
Updated: Tue 10:48 PM, Oct 27, 2009
Social-Facebook-34.png
Social-Twitter-34.png
Social-LinkedIn-34.png
Social-Google-34.png
Social-Print-34.png

Charges have been dropped in Sarpy County against the woman accused of drinking and driving a golf cart, and killing her friend.

Kimberly McIllece was driving her friend home from a dinner party on Tiburon Golf Course May 10th, when she crashed in a ravine, and Deines was thrown from the cart.

Sixty-year-old Deines was killed, and 53-year-old McIllece was charged with DUI and Motor Vehicle Homicide. The DUI charge was dismissed in July, and Tuesday, the Motor Vehicle Homicide charge was dropped as well.

"It's certainly our opinion that they certainly intended to use it very much as a roadway," said Sarpy County Chief Deputy Attorney, Tricia Freeman.

Freeman said the judge dropped the charges against McIllece because the prosecution had to prove there was an underlying offense for her to be convicted of Motor Vehicle Homicide.

Freeman chose DUI as the offense but would need to prove a golf cart is a motor vehicle, McIllece was driving the night of the crash, and that the golf course was an area where the public could access.

McIllece's attorney, Jim Schaefer said that was the only way the DUI charge could stick. "The DUI law in Nebraska, and most states in the United States, apply to a property that is open for public access, like parking lots, your driveway would be private property if you were just in your driveway, but if I drove on the street and then drove into your home, obviously I'd have been out on the street. So I'd be subject to being arrested and prosecuted if I was intoxicated."

The judge agreed a golf cart is a motor vehicle and said there was probable cause McIllece was driving, however he agreed the course is private, because it was after hours and the public wouldn’t have access to the trails, therefore, the law does not extend to charge her with DUI while on a private area.

Since the prosecution can’t prove DUI, the MVH charge was dropped.

"I'm concerned about the message that it sends," said Freeman. "I'm concerned that somehow this is an open check now that it's ok to be on the golf course, to drink however much you want, and to drive a motor vehicle, and that's ok."

McIllece was to be arraigned on November 16th, for DUI in district court, but Freeman filed a motion to dismiss the charge Tuesday afternoon.

McIllece said through her attorney Tuesday, she is ready to move on. "I called her today, she's extremely excited, very, very, happy, glad this is behind her, and she wants everybody to know that now she can concentrate on greiving for her best friend," said Schaefer.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/66408247.html
"Is there justice for Debbie? I don't know, it depends on how you define justice. At least at this point it won't be through these criminal charges," said Freeman.

Reactions: unIowa

Not a flip but a good cart story.
Was playing at Las Colinas in Irving, Tx - home of the Bryon Nelson.
Was driving a buddy and was going to stop and drop him off. I noticed where I was stopping was in a large water puddle so started up again to move forward. Problem was he was already getting out and this was in the days of metal spikes. His foot caught and he did a flip right into the puddle front down.
His white shirt and dark shorts both had giant brown splashes on them. My other buddy tells him if he runs his clothes over to the tennis shop he'd probably find someone to buy them. Gut laughs for all but the guy who fell.

I was playing a course where recent heavy rains were causing flooding issues. The water was high in a creek/river, and there was a bridge that you would normally take if the water wasn't rushing over the top of the bridge. Everybody was taking the long route around, but we decided that we were going for it. The water was higher than we thought and was coming over the top of the floor in the cart.....until it took the cart down the river with it.

Back in high school, at Willow Creek on the blue 9, a buddy hit a ball near the fence line on the 9th hole. I don't recall why, but for some reason he asked me to pick it up for him and then he was driving his cart over to get it. We tossed the ball his direction and somehow he kept his foot on the gas, driving the cart right through a wooden fence post and down into the ditch. Amazingly, we got the cart back onto the course and as far as we know nobody ever caught the damage until we were long gone. I'm fairly sure we paid cash and they probably didn't know who we were anyway as I think we walked on.

Golf carts were invented for Senior Citizens who live
in gated retirement communities in places like Florida,
Arizona or California. It is a means of transportation
to the Dining Hall, Swimming Pool, Fellowship/Game
Center. Most retired couples own their own golf cart
and use it on a daily basis in the retirement compound.

Golf carts were invented for Senior Citizens who live
in gated retirement communities in places like Florida,
Arizona or California. It is a means of transportation
to the Dining Hall, Swimming Pool, Fellowship/Game
Center. Most retired couples own their own golf cart
and use it on a daily basis in the retirement compound.
I don't drive my car in town during the summer. That's why we have golf carts. Oh, and I'm not retired.

In Oklahoma a guy in our foursome drove his car into a pond. I got photos of that. We couldn't stop laughing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT