ADVERTISEMENT

Golf-Who's the asshole?

birthhawk

HB MVP
Feb 9, 2005
It's a long story, but here's a new one I have never seen before today:

I played as a single at Blank GC in Des Moines. Clubhouse joins me(in a cart) with another single(walking with a pull cart and his wife "caddying") and a two-some(one walking, one riding). It was an odd looking grouping, for sure.

Anyway, front nine goes fine. We're all doing ok, no excess ball searching, playing ready golf, etc. On the back, we catch up to a 4-some playing best ball, but clearly novices. We start waiting, but still not severe. About hole 12, I notice a single coming up on us. He's waiting to hit his approach while we're putting. Sure enough, he finishes 12 before we are able to tee off on thirteen.

Guys got his sunglasses on and a scowl on his face. I approach him and, very congenially, let him know we'd let him play through, but there's the 4-some in front of us, and another one about a hole in front of them. I tell him I don't know how busy the rest of the course is, but we've started waiting, too. Just a small chuckle from him.

Next hole is a par three. We all par it. While we're heading to the next hole, we hear a plunk right next to us. OK, he was ready to hit and pulled it a bit. Fine.

On 15, one of my group hits one way left on his approach and spends a bit looking. I'm on the green, and sunglasses has driven it and is waiting. Guy who is looking gives up and drops after a few minutes. We finish and head to 16.

We are waiting to tee off as sunglasses finishes. The 4-some in front of us finally moves, so we start teeing off. I see sunglasses coming up quick in his cart, almost screeching to a halt behind mine. I teed off first, so now I'm waiting for the others while watching sunglasses. He pulls out his driver, seeming waiting for us to...I don't know. Tell him to play through? Ask him to join him even though they don't allow 5somes? Anyway, it's clear to me, he's hot, but I don't think any of the others realize it.

Our last guy is a senior, so he drives up to his tee box, and I hang back. Senior guy tees off. Now, the walker in my group and his wife are walking down the fairway to their ball. I'm still lagging behind because I know I'll get to my ball well before the walkers do.

Sunglasses has had enough. He gets out, tees his ball up, and proceeds to hit a drive right over the walkers, who were about 50 yards down the fairway. I couldn't believe it. I say, "Wow, talk about a douche move. Did you want to play through?"

Sunglasses completely ignores me for a couple seconds, gets back in his cart, and says, "Doesn't matter now, does it?" and drives off.

I mean, this is clearly the most dickish golf move(not to mention, dangerous) I've ever seen. However, is there anything my group should have done that we didn't? Wracking my brain here trying to figure out why sunglasses was so pissed at us.

I’m not much of a golfer, so I don’t know all the little etiquette rules. But if I’m playing as fast as the group in front of me allows me to play and some douchebag behind me hits a tee shot that goes past me, that ball goes in my bag.

Because he’s a dickhead. F him.

He’s playing as a single. Your 4 is keeping up with the 4 ahead.

F him.

Now I wouldn’t mind if he asked and depending what’s behind him, would probably let him but the round is almost over.
I probably would have let him go, too, but I'm playing with strangers. I didn't want to speak for them.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk

I played as a single at Blank GC in Des Moines. Clubhouse joins me(in a cart) with another single(walking with a pull cart and his wife "caddying") and a two-some(one walking, one riding). It was an odd looking grouping, for sure.

Anyway, front nine goes fine. We're all doing ok, no excess ball searching, playing ready golf, etc. On the back, we catch up to a 4-some playing best ball, but clearly novices. We start waiting, but still not severe. About hole 12, I notice a single coming up on us. He's waiting to hit his approach while we're putting. Sure enough, he finishes 12 before we are able to tee off on thirteen.

Guys got his sunglasses on and a scowl on his face. I approach him and, very congenially, let him know we'd let him play through, but there's the 4-some in front of us, and another one about a hole in front of them. I tell him I don't know how busy the rest of the course is, but we've started waiting, too. Just a small chuckle from him.

Next hole is a par three. We all par it. While we're heading to the next hole, we hear a plunk right next to us. OK, he was ready to hit and pulled it a bit. Fine.

On 15, one of my group hits one way left on his approach and spends a bit looking. I'm on the green, and sunglasses has driven it and is waiting. Guy who is looking gives up and drops after a few minutes. We finish and head to 16.

We are waiting to tee off as sunglasses finishes. The 4-some in front of us finally moves, so we start teeing off. I see sunglasses coming up quick in his cart, almost screeching to a halt behind mine. I teed off first, so now I'm waiting for the others while watching sunglasses. He pulls out his driver, seeming waiting for us to...I don't know. Tell him to play through? Ask him to join him even though they don't allow 5somes? Anyway, it's clear to me, he's hot, but I don't think any of the others realize it.

Our last guy is a senior, so he drives up to his tee box, and I hang back. Senior guy tees off. Now, the walker in my group and his wife are walking down the fairway to their ball. I'm still lagging behind because I know I'll get to my ball well before the walkers do.

Sunglasses has had enough. He gets out, tees his ball up, and proceeds to hit a drive right over the walkers, who were about 50 yards down the fairway. I couldn't believe it. I say, "Wow, talk about a douche move. Did you want to play through?"

Sunglasses completely ignores me for a couple seconds, gets back in his cart, and says, "Doesn't matter now, does it?" and drives off.

I mean, this is clearly the most dickish golf move(not to mention, dangerous) I've ever seen. However, is there anything my group should have done that we didn't? Wracking my brain here trying to figure out why sunglasses was so pissed at us.
I think it's obvious who the asshole is and I don't even play golf.

I’m not much of a golfer, so I don’t know all the little etiquette rules. But if I’m playing as fast as the group in front of me allows me to play and some douchebag behind me hits a tee shot that goes past me, that ball goes in my bag.
The walker and his wife were close enough to the tee box that they would have to walk another 200 yards to pick up the ball that went past them. Would have done serious damage.

Did you hit your next shots at him as if he didn’t exist? Because that was the correct move. Four balls rifled at the green as if he was invisible.

He's the a-hole and you did everything right. He's a single on a weekend and needs to understand that.

One thing I've done before is just let him play through, and say 'you can go through us and hope the next group lets you through...' then I let them go. I'm not suggesting you should have done that, you did it by the book. That guy shouldn't be allowed back frankly. I would report him to the clubhouse/dsm parks if it were me. That was dangerous.

He's the a-hole and you did everything right. He's a single on a weekend and needs to understand that.

One thing I've done before is just let him play through, and say 'you can go through us and hope the next group lets you through...' then I let them go. I'm not suggesting you should have done that, you did it by the book. That guy shouldn't be allowed back frankly. I would report him to the clubhouse/dsm parks if it were me. That was dangerous.
I thought the same thing. Told the clubhouse, but nothing mentioned by them about trying to figure out who the guy was.

Reactions: thewop
too long didnt read GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D and birthhawk
After he hit over you I'd have called him a "cvnt" to his face. Ultimate slam to a dick being insulted with a female slam.

Next move would have been his if he wanted to make something of it 4 on 1.

This is how I'd play it.

Sounds like the other guy is the asshole.
I generally give it once before I say something. Accidents happen, sometimes you lose the group ahead behind trees, or you just hit a helluva shot.

So once I can live with, especially if they drive up and apologize - in my experience they often do. After that is when I get angry.

But you also already explained the situation. Him getting all bitchy isn't your problem and doesn't solve anything. He's the asshole.
I agree 100%.
Had something similar when a single followed our group for 2/3 holes. Guy hits an approach that hits one of our carts about a second after we step off the green. No warning/fore
As we’re teeing off he comes flying up, screeches the cart, etc.
My buddy says “ next time yell fore a little louder”.
Guy says “ next time let me thru”.
My buddy says “i can see why you have no friends to play with”

He a huge douche!! Not even a douche, he's a douche nozzle which is worse than just a regular ol douche. If you didn't have the group in front of you, I get him being pissy, but that wasn't the case so F that guy.

Douche. At most you play a fivesome. But he didn’t seem particularly socisl

I feel I see this guy commuting all of time in a black pickup truck.

Have had something similar to what you explained twice to myself and the group I was playing in. Both times I have picked up fairway drives from the douche driving the ball and threw it as far as I could. F people like that. That ball coming in could potentially kill someone

Reactions: blackbones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT