ADVERTISEMENT

Gophs/Illini

illanoy completing blowing minny's doors off now. Total second half domination.

minny is not a good team, but they are not terrible despite how this looks. illanoy is showing what they can potentially do to a team when they've got all cylinders firing.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Just how good are our Hawks? Illinois is up 30+ points again a terrible Gopher team with about 4 minutes left and starters are STILL in. Hawks haven't done that ALL year when up big in second half. I LOVE OUR TEAM!!! :)

I’m obviously biased but I think Iowa is the best, deepest team in the league right now and I really don’t think it’s that close. Michigan State, Wisconsin are next tier. Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State after them with Rutgers very close.

I haven’t seen a team capable of absolutely burying you in 3 min or less like Iowa In the entire country. That includes Baylor. We are genuinely scary offensively. Michigan’s last FF team was the last B1G team I’ve seen anywhere close to Iowa offensively.

It’s a guards’ game and by the end of the year, Illinois and Baylor might have the best guards in the nation. Both have ridiculous talent at that position. This will be a fun year.

Last edited:
I’m obviously biased but I think Iowa is the best, deepest team in the league right now and I really don’t think it’s that close. Michigan State, Wisconsin are next tier. Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State after them with Rutgers very close.

I haven’t seen a team capable of absolutely burying you in 3 min or less like Iowa In the entire country. That includes Baylor. We are genuinely scary offensively. Michigan’s last FF team was the last B1G team I’ve seen anywhere close to Iowa offensively.

By the end of the year, Illinois and Baylor might have the best guards in the nation. They have ridiculous talent at that position. This will be a fun year.

Iowa with JBo, CJ, Joe T, Ulis, and Perkins are pretty good too. Add in 6-5 Connor when he needs to play the point too. That’s scary to have a guy that big running the point.

You lost me on this one....

wut?
Actually, I think I phrased it all wrong. I am impressed that when we are up even 20+ points midway way through the 2nd half of games we do not leave the starters in......our main guys have gotten a lot of rest in the second half this year. I was just shocked that the starters were still in when they were up 30+ points on against a terrible Gopher squad. Maybe they wanted to pad some stats or something. Or maybe Underwood really hates Patino. LOL!!

Actually, I think I phrased it all wrong. I am impressed that when we are up even 20+ points midway way through the 2nd half of games we do not leave the starters in......our main guys have gotten a lot of rest in the second half this year. I was just shocked that the starters were still in when they were up 30+ points on against a terrible Gopher squad. Maybe they wanted to pad some stats or something. Or maybe Underwood really hates Patino. LOL!!

Dosunmu played a lot in that game — 33 min — but 8 Illinois guys played 12 min or more in that game, and 10 scored at least 4 points. An 8 man rotation seems pretty typical for them. As a comparison, Cockburn played 25 min against Minnesota while Garza played 20 against Northern Illinois.

I don’t think there is a coach in the country who would pull all starters mid way through the second half in a conference game. I’ve never seen it happen. Did Purdue do it against us last year? lol No. Fran won’t do it either.

There’s a difference between playing an 0-5 Northern Illinois, e.g., and 6-0 Minnesota. You put the bottom of your bench in against Minnesota starters midway through the half and your 25 point lead will be twelve in about two and a half minutes.

As far as Minnesota being “terrible”... they were rated 44th by Kenpom going into that game. They’re likely a bottom 5 team in the league but look at the league. They’ve got some good talent. Compare with Northern Illinois at 297. Minny is not a “terrible” basketball team by any measure.

Last edited:
Dosunmu played a lot in that game — 33 min — but 8 Illinois guys played 12 min or more in that game, and 10 scored at least 4 points. An 8 man rotation seems pretty typical for them. As a comparison, Cockburn played 25 min against Minnesota while Garza played 20 against Northern Illinois.

I don’t think there is a coach in the country who would pull all starters mid way through the second half in a conference game. I’ve never seen it happen. Did Purdue do it against us last year? lol No. Fran won’t do it either.

There’s a difference between playing an 0-5 Northern Illinois, e.g., and 6-0 Minnesota. You put the bottom of your bench in against Minnesota starters midway through the half and your 25 point lead will be twelve in about two and a half minutes.

As far as Minnesota being “terrible”... they were rated 44th by Kenpom going into that game. They’re likely a bottom 5 team in the league but look at the league. They’ve got some good talent. Compare with Northern Illinois at 297. Minny is not a “terrible” basketball team by any measure.
Good points....I still think with 4 minutes left and up by 30+ against ANYONE...none of our starters would be in. Just my thought.

Good points....I still think with 4 minutes left and up by 30+ against ANYONE...none of our starters would be in. Just my thought.

Illinois is not very deep right now, they are missing 2 reserves who are trying to get healthy - Bosmans-Verdonk and Hutcherson. They've been using a pretty solid 7 man rotation with 2 other guys getting a few min here and there. So not really a complete bench to sub in, once you get past that group it's all walk ons or project big men.

Illinois is not very deep right now, they are missing 2 reserves who are trying to get healthy - Bosmans-Verdonk and Hutcherson. They've been using a pretty solid 7 man rotation with 2 other guys getting a few min here and there. So not really a complete bench to sub in, once you get past that group it's all walk ons or project big men.
So your saying the non starters need the work.

Gotcha...that makes total sense. I sometimes forget just how deep our bench is.

Trent Frazer thinks Kofi Cockburn is the best big man in the COUNTRY! Food for thought.....

Trent Frazer thinks Kofi Cockburn is the best big man in the COUNTRY! Food for thought.....
lol

He’s certainly one of the best and improving. Dosunmu definitely one of the best guards in the country. I was impressed with Curbelo too.

Illinois is good. Iowa is better.

Illinois at Rutgers will be a good early measure of how the league race will likely shake out. Rutgers is damn good.

Reactions: perryhawk

Last season Iowa was up over 30 points midway into the second half against Nebraska and had both Garza and Wieskamp on the court.

Here were the minutes for the starters in that game:
Garza: 27
CJF: 29
Joe T: 26
Joe W: 28
Connor: 27

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Illinois has been running 8-men.

Ayo
Trent
Miller
Williams
Kofi

Curbelo
Giorgi
Hawkins or Grandison depending on matchup.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Last season Iowa was up over 30 points midway into the second half against Nebraska and had both Garza and Wieskamp on the court.

Here were the minutes for the starters in that game:
Garza: 27
CJF: 29
Joe T: 26
Joe W: 28
Connor: 27
What was our depth like last year?

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
What’s he supposed to say? Luka Garza is clearly better than my teammate who’s easily at least in his league?? Haha.

Kofi looked frankly bad in the first few games. Just a non-factor vs Baylor. Didn't help at all in the Mizzou loss. I was not impressed. Looks like he's being challenged by the Illinois staff. He has a lot of room for growth.

Scary when you think about it. The guy is an extreme physical outlier. lol

Reactions: perryhawk
I'll be shocked if Minnesota ends up in the NCAA field, I honestly think they're in the bottom three of the conference, but they're not terrible and certainly could overachieve by season end, but I have little faith that L'il Rich can get them there via his coaching acumen.

Much like @Raptorpeeps mentioned, I'm very high on Iowa currently as I think even in this early stage they're showing depth, savvy BB talent and the ability to function as a team without necessarily the greatest collection of athletes. My eyes were opened in that UNC win when it appeared there was a rather noticeable gap in athleticism between the teams, but Iowa was clearly playing better as a team. It takes a lot of maturity and BB "smarts" to understand your own team's abilities and also your limitations, and Iowa seems to have that going for them.

It should be a really fun season to watch unfold.

I see Liam Robbins, the transfer from Drake, fouled out in his first B1G trying to guard the Illini bigs. Welcome to the B1G, Liam!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT