ADVERTISEMENT

Grundy Virginia

I am from Southwest Va (Marion/Chilhowie) and as I remember Grundy used to always have a great wrestling team. One family group in particular was the Stiltner's. Always seemed to be at least 2 on the team.

Reactions: hawks150
Yeah, Grundy is tough. My son lost in last years state finals to a Grundy wrestler. I watched Fiser wrestle, just a Soph...He beat a kid from our area this year in OT (state semis maybe). Isn't his dad the coach for Grundy?

Just a side note, I have been a lurker here since the late 90s. It was called something else. I have seen many of you on here for years. You guys have cracked me up with some of the conversations that have gone on. Decided to jump in.

Yeah, Grundy is tough. My son lost in last years state finals to a Grundy wrestler. I watched Fiser wrestle, just a Soph...He beat a kid from our area this year in OT (state semis maybe). Isn't his dad the coach for Grundy?

Just a side note, I have been a lurker here since the late 90s. It was called something else. I have seen many of you on here for years. You guys have cracked me up with some of the conversations that have gone on. Decided to jump in.
Yep -- used be called "SuperHawkeye.com" back around 2000. Then HawkeyeNation.com. Then HawkeyeReport.com. The real old farts remember the SuperHawkeye.com days. Hard to believe it's been 2 decades.

Reactions: FishersvilleHawkFan
There's a documentary out there somewhere about Grundy wrestling. If you haven't seen it and can find it I'm telling you it's without a doubt worth the watch.

For anyone that doesn't know, Kevin Dresser helped cement Grundy as a state powerhouse before moving onto Christiansburg.... building that program from scratch into a nationally ranked team.

Edit... here's the trailer.

Last edited:

Welcome to the cesspool! ;)

Yes, former Hawkeye Travis Fiser is the Grundy Coach (9 State Titles in a row now ???).

Reactions: FishersvilleHawkFan
Yep, got his fourth. I think up in the air on where he is going. Garet Sims state champ at 220 is going to Coe( Iowa Valley) so I could see that as a good fit.

Reactions: tiltman
There's a documentary out there somewhere about Grundy wrestling. If you haven't seen it and can find it I'm telling you it's without a doubt worth the watch.

For anyone that doesn't know, Kevin Dresser helped cement Grundy as a state powerhouse before moving onto Christiansburg.... building that program from scratch into a nationally ranked team.

Edit... here's the trailer.

@MitchLL or @MitchL says that’s fake news because Dresser is in over his head when it comes to building a program.

Is Grundy a college program and if so, what division are they in? Brands gave cred to wrestling at VT before KD took over. ISU has a rich tradition.

What's your point again?
Just like poking the bear every now and then

Reactions: MitchLL
Just like poking the bear every now and then

Don't poke the bear.......WARNING
tenor.gif

Yep, got his fourth. I think up in the air on where he is going. Garet Sims state champ at 220 is going to Coe( Iowa Valley) so I could see that as a good fit.
Funny you mention Sims. Garret's dad - Doug (I think) and Travis Fiser were buddies growing up.

I believe Fiser comes back to the Marengo area in the summer and runs around with Sims (going to Coe) and Krakow(@ loras). At least I know he has in the past so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him possibly end up at one of those schools.

Gabe also ran for 2,500 yards this year as a running back. Virginia used to be 3 public classes and 1 private. Now it's six public classes and enrollment at Grundy has dropped considerably, they are now in the state's smallest division.

Thankfully Grundy went to Reno this year and Gabe placed fifth, so he's got some chops. My H.S. was second to Grundy for much of their run during the Ben Ward-Kevin Dresser era before Fiser took over in 1996-97, my senior year.

I believe Fiser comes back to the Marengo area in the summer and runs around with Sims (going to Coe) and Krakow(@ loras). At least I know he has in the past so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him possibly end up at one of those schools.

Yep close to all of those people.

Reactions: tiltman
The most recent Grundy grad to don the Black and Gold was a national treasure by the name of Ethan Owens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT