ADVERTISEMENT

Guarantees

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
I know everyone is frustrated with this year and there is a growing segment of the fanbase that wants KF gone. I might be on the shrinking side that believes he has earned the right to basically leave when he wants to be done; I would guess in the next 3-4 years. With that said, I do believe that he has some work to do this offseason with the idea that he will need to make some changes and will need to show he is willing to adapt a bit.

Almost every program outside of Bama, OSU, Clemson of late, have a year like this every now and then. That is just a fact. Of his 23 years I would say he has a bad down turn about every 8 years...2006/7, 2012, 2022. Throwing out 1999 as he inherited a giant s-hole with almost no talent.

So where do we go from here? Do we believe that he can turn this latest down turn around? History says yes, but again, there is no guarantee in CFB outside of the bluest blue bloods. I understand there are a lot of fans that want a change just for change sake. I stack a couple more of these seasons on top of this one and I think that will be all she wrote.

The other question would be with where we are; who could you hire right now that you KNOW would be better?

I'm only going to answer your last question:

Anyone who is coaching for his job, isn't going to put himself or family ahead of the program, demands nothing but excellence from his players and is going to hire people around him to make him and the team better, not just friends and family who will do his personal bidding. (Kinda sounds like KF his first 10 or so years here).

I know everyone is frustrated with this year and there is a growing segment of the fanbase that wants KF gone. I might be on the shrinking side that believes he has earned the right to basically leave when he wants to be done; I would guess in the next 3-4 years. With that said, I do believe that he has some work to do this offseason with the idea that he will need to make some changes and will need to show he is willing to adapt a bit.

Almost every program outside of Bama, OSU, Clemson of late, have a year like this every now and then. That is just a fact. Of his 23 years I would say he has a bad down turn about every 8 years...2006/7, 2012, 2022. Throwing out 1999 as he inherited a giant s-hole with almost no talent.

So where do we go from here? Do we believe that he can turn this latest down turn around? History says yes, but again, there is no guarantee in CFB outside of the bluest blue bloods. I understand there are a lot of fans that want a change just for change sake. I stack a couple more of these seasons on top of this one and I think that will be all she wrote.

The other question would be with where we are; who could you hire right now that you KNOW would be better?
To address your last question: that is a defeatist attitude, and one I am sick and tired of hearing. That line of thinking paralyzes you with fear, and ends up making things worse.

If KF actually utilizes the portal and gets some WR's, OL, and maybe a QB or 2, I'd say that maybe he can get things going in a positive direction. That's no guarantee, but then nothing is.

As to the last question, can a new coach actually be worse offensively than KF is right now, and has been for the last 4 years?

To address your last question: that is a defeatist attitude, and one I am sick and tired of hearing. That line of thinking paralyzes you with fear, and ends up making things worse.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you either. I'm not sure what to think,...just trying to look at it logically that most programs have years like this and he has in the past proven to come out decent on the other side.

Reactions: 83Hawk
If KF actually utilizes the portal and gets some WR's, OL, and maybe a QB or 2, I'd say that maybe he can get things going in a positive direction. That's no guarantee, but then nothing is.

As to the last question, can a new coach actually be worse offensively than KF is right now, and has been for the last 4 years?
I feel like bare minimum is an OC change, OL change, portal work for WR. I actually feel pretty decent on what the OL CAN be as the talent is there.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
there is NOT a growing segment of fanbase that wants KF gone... it is the same obsessed lunatic fringe that keeps beating the same drum year after year.
the fact is... Iowa has the best possible coaches to get this thing turned around...
just as they have done... year after year.

but you gotta love social media... these are the same people that wanted Fran fired for giving the Murray twins a scholarship

and if you think this is just a football thing... wait a couple months and watch the basketball board.

I may be in the minority here; but he gets paid handsomely to win football games, he is not paid in goodwill. Giving him right to leave when he wants to is putting him ahead of the program and that's wrong in my opinion.

It's not like he is some sort of NC caliber coach, he has won 61% of his regular season games(many over cupcakes) and is 50% in bowl games. Don't act like his is some sort of a God.

Fans have grown sick and tired of watching this same underperforming offense being thrown onto the field year after year. It’s most always the offense that cost us the games. Now, you throw in Brian Ferentz who takes it to a whole new level, a level that’s never been witnessed by anybody under the age of 50. I’ve never, I mean never seen an offense this confused and this mismanaged at any level. The fans are sick of throwing hard earned money to watch a product perform that I wouldn’t watch for free. The fans are sick of seeing a coach getting paid for in-game training who isn’t qualified, period. This little nepotism experiment has run its course with Brian and Barta both being tossed on their asses.

I feel like bare minimum is an OC change, OL change, portal work for WR. I actually feel pretty decent on what the OL CAN be as the talent is there.
People keep saying change the OC. I'm not a fan of BF but even if you do change the OC. KF will still be there with his fingers all over the offense. We all know how "risk averse" KF is. He isn't going to bring someone in and tell them to start chucking the ball all over the yard. He'll still be run heavy, zone blocking, safe pass as a necessity kind of coach.

I might be on the shrinking side that believes he has earned the right to basically leave when he wants to be done
No one has that right, especially not a college football coach who is paid a fortune to do it right and WIN and, as KF even has admitted, put an entertaining product on the field. No CEO, no political leader, no one anywhere in any position can "earn" the right to fail and keep their job.

The KF cult, only one of many such outfits plaguing the world today, is barely a footnote to many of the others. But in the realm of college football, the KF cult is important and sickening. Anyone who fails as miserably as KF has this season, on almost every conceivable level, deserves to be thanked for his service and sent on his way.

Oh, but then you have the Gary Barta factor, aided and abetted by University President Barbara J. Wilson, that gave KF his unconscionable buyout. The incompetence on the U of I campus goes all the way to the top where no one, apparently, knows what "accountability" means.

there is NOT a growing segment of fanbase that wants KF gone... it is the same obsessed lunatic fringe that keeps beating the same drum year after year.
the fact is... Iowa has the best possible coaches to get this thing turned around...

but you gotta love social media... these are the same people that wanted Fran fired for giving the Murray twins a scholarship

and if you think this is just a football thing... wait a couple months and watch the basketball board.

The Lunatic Fringe. Huh.
I think calling out nepotism and factually pointing to far less than average results is far from being lunatics or in the fringe.
If you enjoy the Iowa football experience fine. Many are losing interest. Now where interest is gaining is in the national media. These things can and do have a real impact on brand image and recruiting

It’s ok you like the football product. Many of us lunatics do not.

No one has that right, especially not a college football coach who is paid a fortune to do it right and WIN and, as KF even has admitted, put an entertaining product on the field. No CEO, no political leader, no one anywhere in any position can "earn" the right to fail and keep their job.

The KF cult, only one of many such outfits plaguing the world today, is barely a footnote to many of the others. But in the realm of college football, the KF cult is important and sickening. Anyone who fails as miserably as KF has this season, on almost every conceivable level, deserves to be thanked for his service and sent on his way.

Oh, but then you have the Gary Barta factor, aided and abetted by University President Barbara J. Wilson, that gave KF his unconscionable buyout. The incompetence on the U of I campus goes all the way to the top where no one, apparently, knows what "accountability" means.
Righteous!

I as well thought he earned the right to leave when he wants to. Then the insanity of this year happened. He has to make serious changes this off season or the whole thing may implode. Can you imagine another year of BF as OC and remaining at the bottom in offense. Not to mention SP’s covid year?

Reactions: hexumhawk

I think he’s earned enough latitude to try to fix this mess - he has corrected the other times he veered off-course….but I don’t think any coach should get the right to leave on their own terms “no matter what”. If Kirk doesn’t get this fixed, then he should get pushed out/fired.

This is total B.S. You're crazy if you don't recognize that the fan base is as angry as they've ever been, our HC is under national scrutiny like never before and the call for KF to move on is at an all-time high.

The 2011-2014 years were just "obsessed lunatic fringe" calling for KF's head, but it is not just the outspoken message board minority anymore.

People keep saying change the OC. I'm not a fan of BF but even if you do change the OC. KF will still be there with his fingers all over the offense. We all know how "risk averse" KF is. He isn't going to bring someone in and tell them to start chucking the ball all over the yard. He'll still be run heavy, zone blocking, safe pass as a necessity kind of coach.
This I totally agree with. People are all over BF but this is KF's offense and always has been.

This is one area of leverage that Barta might have. Force KFs hand and basically make him turn over the offense to a new hire.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment as it is a business after all. BUT, you can't say that he has failed in his tenure here. If you are looking at this singular year then ok. Again, he has shown an ability to right the ship after a bad year but do you trust that he can do it again?

You are delusional if you think KF is capable of change. Every OC has ran his risk averse offense that relies on great defense to keep us in a games. His game plan is to hope the other team screws up. I used to be in the camp of waiting when he retires. But his nepotism to promote Brian at the expense of the program is the last straw. I want to him gone today. But he won't because our AD has no balls. KF has become an arrogant fat cat.

Reactions: radicalhawk
I don't know a lot about football and football coaching but for the people that say KF is running the offense and its not BF's fault. Do you really think BF has all these really great ideas on how to improve the offense over the past several years and he goes to dad with these ideas and dad just says 'No'?

I personally don't think BF is anywhere near an offensive genius and just recycles the same sh|t every year because its the simplest approach and that also happens to make dad happy!

Dad is protecting him and he is protecting himself!

Reactions: IAHUNTER

Good post. It’s amazing that a lot of people treat Kirk like a God and say he has the right to leave when he wants and how he wants. That’s exactly what he acts like as he thinks he’s untouchable. Nobody gets that right, doesn’t matter how successful they are.

Reactions: radicalhawk
The situation needs changed.

First, Barta goes. No more Kirk running the show with his lackey as his boss.

Next, new AD fires the current OC in his oversight role thereby actually making the setup work the way it's supposed to rather than the blatant nepotism that currently is being perpetrated.

Then, the new AD lays out specific expectations for the head coach which is exactly what happens in nearly every other situation.

Now Kirk has a choice. He can stay in the job with a new AD who has just fired his son and who will hold him to account or he can retire. I'd like to see that scenario play out.

I think he’s earned enough latitude to try to fix this mess - he has corrected the other times he veered off-course….but I don’t think any coach should get the right to leave on their own terms “no matter what”. If Kirk doesn’t get this fixed, then he should get pushed out/fired.
Completely agree with this. And I believe it's important to keep in mind that the Hawks have strong special teams and defense, so it's not like he/the program needs a rebuild in all three phases.

It's crystal clear that the Hawks desperately need an improved offensive line with an accurate and mobile playmaker at QB in order to compete. I'm hoping the o-line with another year of growth + Proctor can take the leap the o-line took from 2000-2002 (when a bunch of guys played before they really should have but grew into one of the best in school history). Now, who is the QB?

I do worry that Iowa (and its fans) may never embrace the NIL concept as much as needed and that will prevent any quick fixes and/or will result in Iowa moving down the pecking order of college football for a long time.

Go Hawks.

If you want to argue KF is a good coach that's fine. No way do we have the best coaches to turn this around, however. Not even close.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes

Two thumbs up, 5 stars, and a fist pump @Beattheohiostate for this post.

I get the "most teams have bad years" take. But as far as the offense is concerned, since Baby Brian took over, we have become the laughing stock of college football when it comes to offense. No other coordinator in the country would keep their job with this level of performance. But Kirk isn't going to fire his baby boy. It's not going to get better. We are at rock bottom. KF does not deserve to stay if he tolerates this level of incompetence on offense. As someone (don't remember who) put it, this is coaching malpractice.

The idea that KF is owed some type of special allegiance when he, his agent, and his PR firm have managed to trick Iowa's dim witted AD into a $42 million buyout is silly. Add the nepotism aspect which is clearly a violation of Iowa's own policies.....KF has employed his son at $900K and just gave him a raise after last year's disaster + the UI is getting its azz sued thanks in part to BF.

KF needs to be put on the hot seat and get off his azz---period.

Otherwise we have Joe Paterno slow burn. Do we need Kirk 3.0? Apparently, because he's an OL guru with the worst OL in the country, he's got his son as a QB whisperer and we apparently have the worse QBs in the country.

AT WR's they let Charlie Jones go and we got brody Brecht, Ragaini, and those guys aren't scaring anyone. Even Bruce, while a moderate talent, he can't be the best receiver if you want a good team.

This year is different. We have an experienced qb. He is just not good. I dont think people are necessarily mad that petras is not good, they are mad that kf refused to play anyone else.

This shows that either kf plays favorites, or all the other qbs are even worse, or the coordinators are failing to implement the system effectively. all of this points back to coaching though.

We have a history of qbs not progressing under ferentz. We have also seen how other players who have left the program and have excelled under different coaches.

Would the addition of Charlie Joe's have made this offense better? It's doubtful.

I think kf is a good coach who is loyal to a fault. He is also extremely stubborn and it appears he would rather lose than be proven wrong. This is what I have a problem with and why I want Brian gone or both kf and Brian gone.

We are almost in the middle of the third decade of the 21st century. Your coach has had on the job training at Iowa since the last decade of the 20th century and has banked $100+ Million Dollars for being an average coach. Not only has he not ever won an undisputed Big Ten Championship, he is now regressing. Newlyweds in 1998 now have grandchildren in kindergarten. But yeah, he's "the best possible coach to get things turned around." J.F.C.

KF has not earned the right to be negligent on the offensive side of the ball. He has not earned the right to waste elite D and ST units at the expense of his OC/QB coach that has no idea what he is doing. He has not earned the right to have a system that sucks so bad we will be talking about what walk on will be our top receiver with 2 targets a game come December and through the spring. He has not earned the right to take a proud and supported state University entity and make it the family business. He has not earned the right to create a situation where we have no skill players hardly at all coming in (Marco is really the only one, Mota will be a project). He has made his career on the backs on Norm then Phil. He will not adapt to today's climate where kids can say 'to hell with this' very easily. He hates the portal so largely ignores the portal. How is our future looking bright? I hate saying this but KF doubles down on bad because Gary Barta allows him to do so while enabling the nepotism rules to be skirted. He is not competing for his job, he is trying to ensure Brian is taken care of. Who the hell wants any part of that? Meanwhile, our West competitors are pouncing. Why are we the only school in the country where the above is possible? 10 wins last year against a favorable schedule where you are blown out by 3 of the 4 opponents? I don't want a decade of being Indiana.

Last edited:
I'm only going to answer your last question:

Anyone who is coaching for his job, isn't going to put himself or family ahead of the program, demands nothing but excellence from his players and is going to hire people around him to make him and the team better, not just friends and family who will do his personal bidding. (Kinda sounds like KF his first 10 or so years here).
This

Proctor starts game 1. We get a bookend OT from somewhere that knows how to block. That would be a great start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT