ADVERTISEMENT

Guild Wurst Tavern Essentially Closing/Restructuring

Mar 14, 2003
Saw that November 10th is their last normal day. Will only be open for Sunday brunch, major sporting events, catering for groups of over 10, and event space. Ate there a few times and always thought it was decent.

Bummer. I liked it. Had a killer coconut brown ale and fantastic in-house beer brats. Guess OP will have to settle for eating his own homemade shit.

Outside of Iowa football seven times a year I wonder what defines major sporting events. Super bowl Sunday? Basketball certainly doesnt imo.

Are there once and haven't been back because it sucked. Overpriced and the food was just awful.

Very disappointed to see them go. Loved their beer. Loved their food. Loved their wait staff. Go there all the time. Makes me a little grossed out that I may have been sharing proximity with the OP at some point.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Now I’m curious if the wide ranging opinions in this thread are because of consistency issues or just a matter of differing tastes. I find local restaurants can be quite erratic with inconsistent recipes and staff training.

I thought that place was doomed from its inception; you're not going to cover Coralville Strip rents selling brats. Restaurants in general are closing at a rapid clip around here; too many competitors, high rents and higher minimum wage. You need to have a good, high profit concept, good management, and be well capitalized to succeed. How many weeks did the cereal place stay open? At least they could take the cereal home and cover breakfast for a couple of years.

I thought that place was doomed from its inception; you're not going to cover Coralville Strip rents selling brats. Restaurants in general are closing at a rapid clip around here; too many competitors, high rents and higher minimum wage. You need to have a good, high profit concept, good management, and be well capitalized to succeed. How many weeks did the cereal place stay open? At least they could take the cereal home and cover breakfast for a couple of years.
I often wonder how some of these places get financing. Or are they just wasting their own and their family member money

Now I’m curious if the wide ranging opinions in this thread are because of consistency issues or just a matter of differing tastes. I find local restaurants can be quite erratic with inconsistent recipes and staff training.

Not that a restaurant can't have a bad day...but with Guild I think there's a lot of this. My wife doesn't like it at all - she went once and will never return because it's not her kind of food, atmosphere, etc. They make SERIOUS comfort food and don't spare the butter, grease, or anything else bad for you. And it's an eclectic place...kind of got the imperfect. unfinished vibe to it. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

The guy who owns it also owned the Bar'ber Shop in the strip mall just down the road on 1st Ave before the city commandeered the property for the levee. Honestly, I think that was ideal for what he wants to do and what his goals are. Tiny little eclectic place with great comfort food, freedom and control to try new things, low overhead, etc. This opportunity just came up and I think was too hard to pass up.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT