ADVERTISEMENT

Has DeSantis petered out?

TheCainer

HR Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Ron DeSantis' Approval Rating Has Collapsed​

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has seen his approval rating fall dramatically two weeks after announcing his 2024 presidential bid.

According to online polling company Civiqs' dynamic approval rating graph, DeSantis currently has a net approval rating of negative 19 points, with an average of 55 percent of respondents disapproving of him, compared with 36 percent who have a favorable view of the Republican.

The data shows DeSantis has a major unfavorable rating from those aged 18-34 (63 percent), women (62 percent), as well as African Americans (85 percent), and the Hispanic/Latino population (68 percent).

In comparison, the Florida Governor's overall approval and disapproval rating was tied at 47 percent in early December.
Ron DeSantis in South Carolina

Presidential candidate and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis listens to his wife speak to a crowd on June 2, 2023, in Gilbert, South Carolina. DeSantis' approval rating has fallen 19 points over the past few months, according to Civiqs.GETTY IMAGES/SEAN RAYFORD
Around this time, suggestions that DeSantis should be the one to lead the GOP in 2024 were gaining momentum after many—including those in the Republican Party—blamed Donald Trump for the party's poor midterm performance. A number of candidates endorsed by the former president lost their races in elections across the country.

In the subsequent months, DeSantis' approval rating has fallen 19 points, with polls continuing to suggest that Trump is the overwhelming favorite to clinch the GOP presidential nomination in 2024 despite his continuing legal difficulties.

These include Trump pleading not guilty to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in a historic first for a former president in New York and being found liable in a civil trial of sexually abusing former Elle columnist E. Jean Carroll in the mid-1990s.

DeSantis could take solace in the fact that Trump is currently recording a higher disapproval rating at 57 percent in Civiqs' tracker, with the former president recording disapproval scores in the mid-50s for most of the year.

However, according to FiveThirtyEight's collection of GOP primary polls, Trump has come out on top in all the most recent surveys dating back to March, with a recent Morning Consult poll published June 6 showing the former president 34 points ahead of the Florida Governor (56-22 percent).

The Morning Consult survey also showed that DeSantis is failing to chip into Trump's lead in the polls since confirming he is running for president in a glitchy May 24 Twitter Space announcement.

DeSantis' poll numbers have remained stagnant compared to the previous Morning Consult survey from May 20 (21 percent), and down from his high of 34 percent recorded in January.

The latest survey showed that a fourth of potential primary voters reported hearing something negative about DeSantis over the past week, the highest share since tracking began in late November.

DeSantis' office has been contacted for comment via email.

https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desant...s DeSantis has,Latino population (68 percent).

FyEK-NYagAAYUPe

Agreed. Maybe rethinking his strategy. He's extremely connected and very powerful in the state of Florida.

I don't think he's as palatable to the rest of the nation as his campaign and Floridians think he is.

My guess is that it's better odds that he ruins his political career through overexposure, than getting elected President.

I think he needs to tread lightly on the abortion issue. The 6 week ban is too far for most Americans.

I also think he needs to tread lightly on the trans bans. I think he should stick to banning kids gender care, but leave adult stuff alone, but commit to researching this issue more.

I think there is a fear among some people that he will swing too far right. But I don't think people are writing him off yet, they are just waiting to see how it plays out.

If he stays in the right middle, he can beat trump.

Trump is a narcissistic loose cannon. People would love to vote for someone with similar policies, but more presidential like. We will see if desantis fits the bill.

I think he needs to tread lightly on the abortion issue. The 6 week ban is too far for most Americans.

I also think he needs to tread lightly on the trans bans. I think he should stick to banning kids gender care, but leave adult stuff alone, but commit to researching this issue more.

I think there is a fear among some people that he will swing too far right. But I don't think people are writing him off yet, they are just waiting to see how it plays out.

If he stays in the right middle, he can beat trump.

Trump is a narcissistic loose cannon. People would love to vote for someone with similar policies, but more presidential like. We will see if desantis fits the bill.
Well, he’s on record with these things. He jammed through legislation on all this stuff, held press conferences and signing ceremonies. He can’t exactly run from it.

And we know he doesn’t react well when confronted by actual press members in unscripted settings. He will lose it the first time he’s asked to explain inconsistencies if he tries a softer approach.

Outside the State of Florida, I don't think his appeal is great.

He’s a creature of the right wing donors, media and establishment politicians. Collectively they have been pushing him as a less controversial version of Trump. All that money, support and media attention doesn’t change the fact that he is just not a good candidate. He has the charisma of an infected herpes sore.

Well, he’s on record with these things. He jammed through legislation on all this stuff, held press conferences and signing ceremonies. He can’t exactly run from it.

And we know he doesn’t react well when confronted by actual press members in unscripted settings. He will lose it the first time he’s asked to explain inconsistencies if he tries a softer approach.
I agree, I think that's why we have not seen a jump in his numbers. People are showing they don't want either extreme, they want a moderate.

I also think people are seeing that Trump was not as full of shit as we were led to believe. As evidenced by the Durham report and the shady stuff with the biden laptop.

This has validated a lot of republicans views on trump.

I think this whole charade is nothing but name recognition for a 2028 run.

The GOP is in big, big trouble given their less than stellar performance in 2022...when they should have seen much greater success.

I love it.

Policy positions aside, he just comes across as weird and an a-hole wrapped up in a manufactured politician. Trump’s an a-hole but he has charisma (for a lot of people).

FWIW, I said the same thing about Harris. Her personality is just a massive turn off for many people including me.

I agree, I think that's why we have not seen a jump in his numbers. People are showing they don't want either extreme, they want a moderate.

I also think people are seeing that Trump was not as full of shit as we were led to believe. As evidenced by the Durham report and the shady stuff with the biden laptop.

What came of the Durham report and Hunter's laptop?

Are you Ronna McDaniel?

Reactions: peacehawk

Well, we all knew there were delusional people out there that didn't find the Durham fiasco to be a major embarrassment for the right. And here you are.

It is starting to look like the MAGAts and the leftists are really starting to rally around Trump with wishing and hoping articles like the one posted above.

We are barely into the campaign with zero debates. Every indicator is the RDS has a long list of big time money backers.(which Trump does not have) I really want Scott or Haley to be the nominee, but if not the R's need to nominate RDS as he will beat Joe Biden in November of 2024. Knowing that, Dems will do anything they can to push the argument that RDS is struggling. Knowing the Republican Party, they will once again fall for this and nominate the one candidate who can't win in '24. Maybe Trump will be in jail like the leftists have told us for six years on this board. @Chishawk1425 we are still waiting for that indictment. Maybe the Mueller Report on Twitter isn't the best source.

It is starting to look like the MAGAts and the leftists are really starting to rally around Trump with wishing and hoping articles like the one posted above.

We are barely into the campaign with zero debates. Every indicator is the RDS has a long list of big time money backers.(which Trump does not have) I really want Scott or Haley to be the nominee, but if not the R's need to nominate RDS as he will beat Joe Biden in November of 2024. Knowing that, Dems will do anything they can to push the argument that RDS is struggling. Knowing the Republican Party, they will once again fall for this and nominate the one candidate who can't win in '24. Maybe Trump will be in jail like the leftists have told us for six years on this board. @Chishawk1425 we are still waiting for that indictment. Maybe the Mueller Report on Twitter isn't the best source.
The indictment is happening.

I believe you are underestimating Donald Trump (once again).

I have heard multiple GOP folks talk now about he has no money…Like that matters. The guy creates his own press…he doesn’t need expensive commercials.

Plus he has a built in base of probably 30 million who will vote for him no.matter.what.

He’s the nominee. Period. I have doubts he can pull another 2016 in the general election, but you never know. Especially with all the anti democracy policies enacted in red states.

He’s the nominee. Period. I have doubts he can pull another 2016 in the general election, but you never know. Especially with all the anti democracy policies enacted in red states.

Trump cannot win the general election, and as this becomes more and more apparent he will begin to lose support,.. I don't see him as the nominee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT