ADVERTISEMENT

Has KF lost touch with reality?

The competition has been so abnormally low since they went to divisions that Iowa can win 10 games with no offense and without ever beating a good team, just with defense alone.

This allows Kirk to stay in his comfortable punting is winning bubble.

Of course, that ideology gets exposed when they play a good team but since that's only 2 or 3 times a year it doesn't matter.

The man is almost 70, at this point it sure seems like his main priority is securing the job for his son.
If he still thinks Brian is HC material or would be even a remote consideration for the HC position, then Kirk has slipped more than anybody realizes. Of course parents view their kids differently from the rest of the world so who really knows. I think Kirk still likes coaching and the fact that him coaching means he gets to work closely with Brian who gets to haul in almost a million a year as a result is a pretty nice perk.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Thing is as time goes on I actually think it’s becoming more and more highly unlikely BF succeeds Kirk. If KF would’ve retired after Holiday Bowl in 19’ I think BF would’ve had a legitimate shot. But with lawsuit the following summer (fair or not), results on the field and growing discontent among fan base. You’d hope even Barta could see this is a hire that you couldn’t really sell the Iowa fans and donors.
Could be why Kirks hanging on, an attempt to reset the narrative around Brian.

Although I have no clue why you stick with Petras in that case.

I agree the longer this poor offense continues the worse the case for Brian becomes.

KF has become a bit of an enigma. Sometimes I wonder if he has reached some level of dementia. Sometimes I wonder if he is just becoming a stubborn old man and nothing more. That's up for debate.

What I am CONVINCED of is that winning football games isn't all that important to him at this point, and he has very little interest in coaching and developing young football players in this age of the portal and NIL. I seriously think that his #1 agenda at this point of his career is showing everyone who's boss, and he's got the perfect enabler in GB.

It started with the promotion of BF to OC. This was a highly questionable move in terms of the program's best interest. An A.D. worth his salt would have vetoed this idea immediately. I'm on record on this board predicting that it would be a disaster and that it could ruin KF's legacy. The crap that has gone on since then has all been about power-plays: The Noah Fant situation. Letting Doyle take the fall for the racism accusations while protecting his kid, who was the biggest culprit of the allegations. Inexplicably adding QB coach duties to BF's responsibilities when he was clearly already over his head and QB was the absolute biggest problem that needed fixing on the team. Refusing to make even a trivial attempt to find help for the depleted offense with use of the portal. And now he is blowing off the idea that the offense is in shambles, stating that there are no anticipated changes and that they just need to work on a few things.

I appreciate all that KF has done for the Hawkeye program, but that offense that we saw on Saturday was a direct result of his desire to make Hawkeye Football the family business above all else. The Hawkeye defense is evidence of how he can be successful if he hires the right coaches and keeps his hands out of it, but he has not done that on the offensive side of the ball (the Betts hire notwithstanding). It totally pains me, because this is typically what you see when coaches stay too long, and my worst fears have been realized. There's a very good chance that we are headed for a disastrous season; my only hope is that the defense and special teams can carry the team all year, but I think it's too much to ask. JoPa, Bowden, Beamer, Snyder, LaVell Edwards, and probably even Hayden stayed on too long to the point of their respective program's detriment. I'm afraid KF is about to be added to the list...

I'm being serious. His decision making and lack there of has to make you wonder. He cannot seriously think things are where they should be. He is the laughing stock of the country right now. The offense looked as if they never practiced once in the off season. He should honestly put a lot of thought into retiring if he isn't willing to put in the effort to field a competent offense. That was an absolute disgrace what we saw Saturday
Btw, you’re not the only one asking the question.

“I saw a lot of good things out there,” coach Kirk Ferentz (12) said, causing everyone to wonder whether he had been hallucinating for three hours.

• Love
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Yeah, it may very well be time to retire after the year, or at the very least relinquish control of the offense. The recruiting failed, the development failed, and the scheme failed on Saturday. Total system failure after doubling down on this bad hand.

Unfortunately for us, Barta is an extremely passive AD and won’t press the issue with Kirk.

Brian reports to Barta. Therefore, expect an announcement tomorrow that Brian is no longer coaching at the University of Iowa.

;)

How do you suppose KF approves the plays? Is the entire game scripted? Is he using Morse code with his gum chewing to call the plays?

And, I don't get why many assume the KF has no input on the defense but has total control of the offense? Obviously he approves the game plan on both offense and defense.

Or, is this the tired theory that BF called the plays against OSU and USC, but KF in all the rest?

Yes, KF is ultimately responsible for the offense (and the defense) so he gets to own the recent performance. But he doesn't call the plays.

BF is a poor OC, and KF gets the blame for him having the job.
Exactly.

Rewatched the offensive snaps, very painful. Petras was not good, no question. Bad enough he probably deserved to be pulled out of the game. But as bad as he was, the o-line was worse. I mean really, really bad at very basic things. D-linemen going right across the face of o-linemen. Slow and off-time shotgun snaps by the new center. The new RT who played guard last year got off balance and just wrecked in protection numerous times. The most veteran OL (78) just missing guys and blocking air. And the guys they rotated in at guard ended up getting knocked/run over several times and/or just not blocking people. From the new guys it was to be expected to an extent. The hope would be that they would have improved in game faster than they did. There was some marginal improvement in the 2nd half, but by that time SDSU was playing with a great deal of confidence and the Iowa QB was not.

This.
This.
And this.
OL play is the biggest concern to me tight now.
QB play is also a concern but I’d be willing to bet good money that we’d see marked improvement from Petras if the OL stepped up its game.

Iowa is 130th in the country in offensive efficiency after week one. Worst in the country and 43 spots lower than the next Big Ten team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT