ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question: What's the Point of Bringing Back All our Studs on Defense?

It’s dumb when you make inaccurate comments…

I believe their QB has started at least seven straight games and had 300 yards versus Arizona in his season ending outing…

Both starting Rbers played, they didn’t lose any significant starters into the portal that I can remember, and this has been posted by other posters and they have two lineman sitting out for the draft either you’re dumb or you flat out lied, which is it?!
Their QB put his name in the portal but agreed to still play (mutual decision with KW) both starting WR did not play and both starting safeties did not play as well along with 2 of the starting oline who declared for the draft and were out. Probably personal interpretation of what counts as valuable to how you play in a game.

Reactions: littlez
Let's face it, Iowa's 2022 team had a generational defense. It was led by two 1st round draft picks, including the Butkus Award winner, and also had two all-American caliber defensive backs and a generational punter. Despite being absolutely loaded on defense, Iowa managed to have just the 123rd ranked scoring offense. The 2022 team finished an unmemorable 5-4 in the conference. If they are remembered for anything, it will be what a waste it was.

Iowa's 2023 team reloaded with another elite level defense and Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered not for the emergence of Higgins or DeJean, but as a national laughing stock. Despite Petras moving on, they managed to have the worst offense in modern college football and a terrible quarterback who managed to play every single snap. Unfortunately, that QB is back next year, as are most of the OL from the nation's 130th ranked scoring offense. Worse yet, the team's top two receivers and top OL are gone and no one has been recruited to replace them.

It has been said by Kirk's son in law/recruiting coordinator that the 2024 recruiting strategy is to dump Iowa's entire NIL war chest on keeping the stud defensive players who are on the fence about going pro. I want to keep them back too, but is that a strategy that will lead to better results on the field? Nope. It's idiotic.

Let's say we luck out and keep our stud LBs and one of the stud DBs...how is next year's team any better than this year's? It's the OFFENSE that makes Iowa so hard to watch and the lack thereof that has forced Iowa to go over a year without beating a ranked opponent. The 2023 team ranked dead last (133rd) in total offense, and the coaching staff is focused on the defense? No effort has been made to prioritize better talent to replace weak links at OL, QB, or WR. Heck, Iowa's top two TEs could also be gone...and I've heard of no TE prospects from the portal either. No new OL coach or WR coach either?

If the goal to have another year where Iowa sets records on the lowest over/under in Vegas history, they may achieve it. However, it's nothing to be proud of to have an offense that can't put up 10 points in a game and a defense that constantly bails them out with super close low scoring games.

The fans need an exciting product on the field...not an elite defense with no offense to support it.
Don’t you ever tire of saying the same thing over and over again

Reactions: Bishop-71
I personally use the winning % over set time frames. Like the last 10 years for example
Yeah. It's a shitty program. Iowa and its fans need to stop using them as a reason to fear change. Especially when it comes to the albatross that Iowa's offense has become. 90+% of the fanbase want Kirk to stick around and hire a capable OC. The ones that don't understand that are beyond help and have shown themselves to be Brian/Kirk fans as opposed to Iowa fans. Hopefully they move over to the North Liberty High School site along with Brian and we won't have to talk about him anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
At this point I don’t really care about the bowl game, since any transfers wouldn’t be on campus for bowl prep either it’s a moot point. We will know who the OC is in time for spring ball however and that’s what matters most right now.
Disgusting take. KF and everyone else in that building disagrees.

Right now, the only thing that matters is the bowl game

Let's face it, Iowa's 2022 team had a generational defense. It was led by two 1st round draft picks, including the Butkus Award winner, and also had two all-American caliber defensive backs and a generational punter. Despite being absolutely loaded on defense, Iowa managed to have just the 123rd ranked scoring offense. The 2022 team finished an unmemorable 5-4 in the conference. If they are remembered for anything, it will be what a waste it was.

Iowa's 2023 team reloaded with another elite level defense and Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered not for the emergence of Higgins or DeJean, but as a national laughing stock. Despite Petras moving on, they managed to have the worst offense in modern college football and a terrible quarterback who managed to play every single snap. Unfortunately, that QB is back next year, as are most of the OL from the nation's 130th ranked scoring offense. Worse yet, the team's top two receivers and top OL are gone and no one has been recruited to replace them.

It has been said by Kirk's son in law/recruiting coordinator that the 2024 recruiting strategy is to dump Iowa's entire NIL war chest on keeping the stud defensive players who are on the fence about going pro. I want to keep them back too, but is that a strategy that will lead to better results on the field? Nope. It's idiotic.

Let's say we luck out and keep our stud LBs and one of the stud DBs...how is next year's team any better than this year's? It's the OFFENSE that makes Iowa so hard to watch and the lack thereof that has forced Iowa to go over a year without beating a ranked opponent. The 2023 team ranked dead last (133rd) in total offense, and the coaching staff is focused on the defense? No effort has been made to prioritize better talent to replace weak links at OL, QB, or WR. Heck, Iowa's top two TEs could also be gone...and I've heard of no TE prospects from the portal either. No new OL coach or WR coach either?

If the goal to have another year where Iowa sets records on the lowest over/under in Vegas history, they may achieve it. However, it's nothing to be proud of to have an offense that can't put up 10 points in a game and a defense that constantly bails them out with super close low scoring games.

The fans need an exciting product on the field...not an elite defense with no offense to support it.
Replace “Honest ” with “Stupid”.

We should just quit football basically is what you are saying.

At some point, you have to hope they figure it out. It doesn’t need to be elite or even top 40, it just can’t be bottom 30-40.

I was referring more to the take that iowaslaw was taking.

I will watch every game and root for them. It would perhaps be more accurate to state that in this particular instance I’m more interested in the OC search than the bowl game because of the bigger potential impact.

I was referring more to the take that iowaslaw was taking.

I will watch every game and root for them. It would perhaps be more accurate to state that in this particular instance I’m more interested in the OC search than the bowl game because of the bigger potential impact.
I'm with you on this, I am just more concerned about the OC as well

I will root for a win on Jan 1st but I am more interested in seeing if a Howard, Buie, or god forbid Lainez gets some reps.

Did I miss when a new OC was named that gives you this kind of hope? It's been 3 months since Brian was fired and someone is running the offense for all the bowl game practices, right?
Anybody not named Brian Ferentz and to a lesser extent, not on the current staff, gives me hope.

Reactions: sober_teacher

To win games. 3 words to answer an essay that is a joke

I'm with you on this, I am just more concerned about the OC as well

I will root for a win on Jan 1st but I am more interested in seeing if a Howard, Buie, or god forbid Lainez gets some reps.
Absolutely not. The players who give Iowa the best chance to win will be on the field

Reactions: cmhawks99
Their QB put his name in the portal but agreed to still play (mutual decision with KW) both starting WR did not play and both starting safeties did not play as well along with 2 of the starting oline who declared for the draft and were out. Probably personal interpretation of what counts as valuable to how you play in a game.
I thought Big West was the worst division in history? Surely an 8 win PAC 12 team would easily dispose of pesky little NW, regardless. NW dominated the shit out of Utah. Dumb ****s like you go out of your way to make excuses for other teams while ignoring the fact that Iowa was hurt by key injuries as badly as any team in the country. We played NW without our starting QB, numerous O-lineman, 2 All American caliber Tight Ends and one of the most talented, electric Db in the country. We still beat them.

This is an asinine post. So absurd it's not even worth reading, which I didn't.

We live, love, breathe, eat, and sleep with our defense. Iowa goes as its defense goes whether anyone agrees with it or not. It's the only thing keeping us in a reasonable stratosphere within the upper echelons of college football.

So why wouldn't we want our best players to stay for as long as possible? We want to be competitive don't we? Without our Defense, Iowa would be extremely lucky to break .500 over the last three years.

I thought Big West was the worst division in history? Surely an 8 win PAC 12 team would easily dispose of pesky little NW, regardless. NW dominated the shit out of Utah. Dumb ****s like you go out of your way to make excuses for other teams while ignoring the fact that Iowa was hurt by key injuries as badly as any team in the country. We played NW without our starting QB, numerous O-lineman, 2 All American caliber Tight Ends and one of the most talented, electric Db in the country. We still beat them.
Cooper played vs NW but your point remains

We live, love, breathe, eat, and sleep with our defense. Iowa goes as its defense goes whether anyone agrees with it or not. It's the only thing keeping us in a reasonable stratosphere within the upper echelons of college football.

So why wouldn't we want our best players to stay for as long as possible? We want to be competitive don't we? Without our  elite Defense, Iowa wouldn't have sniffed .500 or a bowl game over the last three years.
FIFY....

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus

So why wouldn't we want our best players to stay for as long as possible? We want to be competitive don't we? Without our Defense, Iowa would be extremely lucky to break .500 over the last three years.
Wait. If you didn't read it, then how could you classify it as asinine, or anything for that matter...? 🤔

The Iowa Defense is really good. However they are also aided by playing a weak non conference and B1G West schedule. Moving forward it will be unreasonable to expect the Defense to maintain the production at a similar level as the schedule will get tougher. Simply the offense needs to drastically improve if Iowa is to stay in the top 1/3 of the conference. QB, WR, and OL talent all need to improve. This is all just obvious stuff that has seemed foreign to so many.
We play a weak non conf next year. We pick up Washington at home and they are turning over 50 players. We pick up UCLA and they have not been that great. Yes we pick up OSU but no PSU and no Michigan. We get Wisky at home.
All told our schedule might be similar to this year and if a loaded D comes back and our new OC gives us a unit that produces positive results this could be real fun.

This years bowl game means absolutely nothing especially if Deacon Hill starts and plays the whole game at QB. I’d be more interested if he started at RG. The new OC , KF’s philosophy on the offense going forward and recruiting on the offensive side of the ball especially QB is what is important.

Listen you worthless cumdumpster I never said anyone should of, why or could of beat anyone nor saying anything about injuries opt outs as to why someone wins. If you could actually read everything and not let your small pea brained mind automatically jump to conclusions and a safe space I was pointing out Utah had more out than cm realized hence the last sentence I wrote about its up to the individual on what they think counts. Not once did I SAY THAT WAS THE REASON NW WON.

Last edited:
We play a weak non conf next year. We pick up Washington at home and they are turning over 50 players. We pick up UCLA and they have not been that great. Yes we pick up OSU but no PSU and no Michigan. We get Wisky at home.
All told our schedule might be similar to this year and if a loaded D comes back and our new OC gives us a unit that produces positive results this could be real fun.
Troy and ISU are not weak non conference opponents.

This years bowl game means absolutely nothing especially if Deacon Hill starts and plays the whole game at QB. I’d be more interested if he started at RG. The new OC , KF’s philosophy on the offense going forward and recruiting on the offensive side of the ball especially QB is what is important.
So your agenda for the program is more important than what the team is actually going through right now. Gotcha

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

You ever thought about a hobby?

Reactions: nu2u and Bishop-71
A question, we are bringing in 21 scholarship recruits, who isn’t coming back?
Attrition is attrition and there will always be kids that move along for whatever reason. We know for sure that JH and NJ will come back, but will CDJ, SC, or even QS? JH may take a stab at the NFL. I'm probably missing a couple of other guys on D that will come back, possibly the DT from IWCC?

Iowa is losing some players on O, probably more after the bowl game. As the roster stands isn't Iowa over the limit by 6 or 7 even with portal kids?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT