ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question: What's the Point of Bringing Back All our Studs on Defense?

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Let's face it, Iowa's 2022 team had a generational defense. It was led by two 1st round draft picks, including the Butkus Award winner, and also had two all-American caliber defensive backs and a generational punter. Despite being absolutely loaded on defense, Iowa managed to have just the 123rd ranked scoring offense. The 2022 team finished an unmemorable 5-4 in the conference. If they are remembered for anything, it will be what a waste it was.

Iowa's 2023 team reloaded with another elite level defense and Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered not for the emergence of Higgins or DeJean, but as a national laughing stock. Despite Petras moving on, they managed to have the worst offense in modern college football and a terrible quarterback who managed to play every single snap. Unfortunately, that QB is back next year, as are most of the OL from the nation's 130th ranked scoring offense. Worse yet, the team's top two receivers and top OL are gone and no one has been recruited to replace them.

It has been said by Kirk's son in law/recruiting coordinator that the 2024 recruiting strategy is to dump Iowa's entire NIL war chest on keeping the stud defensive players who are on the fence about going pro. I want to keep them back too, but is that a strategy that will lead to better results on the field? Nope. It's idiotic.

Let's say we luck out and keep our stud LBs and one of the stud DBs...how is next year's team any better than this year's? It's the OFFENSE that makes Iowa so hard to watch and the lack thereof that has forced Iowa to go over a year without beating a ranked opponent. The 2023 team ranked dead last (133rd) in total offense, and the coaching staff is focused on the defense? No effort has been made to prioritize better talent to replace weak links at OL, QB, or WR. Heck, Iowa's top two TEs could also be gone...and I've heard of no TE prospects from the portal either. No new OL coach or WR coach either?

If the goal to have another year where Iowa sets records on the lowest over/under in Vegas history, they may achieve it. However, it's nothing to be proud of to have an offense that can't put up 10 points in a game and a defense that constantly bails them out with super close low scoring games.

The fans need an exciting product on the field...not an elite defense with no offense to support it.

Last edited:
Let's face it, Iowa's 2022 team had a generational defense. It was led by two 1st round draft picks, including the Butkus Award winner, and also had two all-American caliber defensive backs and a generational punter. Despite being absolutely loaded on defense, Iowa managed to have just the 123rd ranked scoring offense. The 2022 team finished a mediocre 5-4 in the conference despite that defense. What a waste.

Iowa's 2023 team shocked a lot of people with another elite level defense and Norm Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered as a national laughing stock, with the worst offense in modern college football and a terrible quarterback who played every single snap. That QB is back next year, as are most of the OL from the nation's 130th ranked scoring offense...but the team's top two receivers are gone and no one has been recruited to replace them.

Next year, it sounds like rather than recruiting the portal hard for 2024 to bring in some much needed offensive talent, Iowa's strategy is to dump its entire NIL war chest on keeping the stud defensive players who are on the fence about going pro. I want to keep them too, but is that a strategy that will lead to better results on the field?

Let's say we luck out and keep our stud LBs and one of the stud DBs...how does that do anything to move this team to the next level? It's the OFFENSE that made the team so hard to watch. Iowa ranked dead last (133rd) in total offense this year, and the coaching staff has made no effort to bring in better talent to replace weak links at OL, QB, or WR. Heck, Iowa's top two TEs could also be gone...and I've heard of no TE prospects from the portal either.

Is the goal to have another year where Iowa sets records on the lowest over/under in Vegas history? It's nothing to be proud of to have an offense that can't put up 10 points in a game and a defense that constantly bails them out with super close low scoring games. The fans need an exciting product on the field...not an elite defense with no offense to support it.
I think the point is to secure known quantity stars first, which mostly happen to be on defense, rather than not welcoming them back and entering the crap-shoot portal for potential help on offense. The odds are against getting equal or better value. There may be more scholarship rides available in May for portal activity and the new OC will be in place.

5667983882_413388e4ea_z.jpg

The Iowa Defense is really good. However they are also aided by playing a weak non conference and B1G West schedule. Moving forward it will be unreasonable to expect the Defense to maintain the production at a similar level as the schedule will get tougher. Simply the offense needs to drastically improve if Iowa is to stay in the top 1/3 of the conference. QB, WR, and OL talent all need to improve. This is all just obvious stuff that has seemed foreign to so many.

Let's face it, Iowa's 2022 team had a generational defense. It was led by two 1st round draft picks, including the Butkus Award winner, and also had two all-American caliber defensive backs and a generational punter. Despite being absolutely loaded on defense, Iowa managed to have just the 123rd ranked scoring offense. The 2022 team finished an unmemorable 5-4 in the conference. If they are remembered for anything, it will be what a waste it was.

Iowa's 2023 team reloaded with another elite level defense and Norm Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered not for the emergence of Higgins or DeJean, but as a national laughing stock. Despite Petras moving on, they managed to have the worst offense in modern college football and a terrible quarterback who managed to play every single snap. Unfortunately, that QB is back next year, as are most of the OL from the nation's 130th ranked scoring offense. Worse yet, the team's top two receivers and top OL are gone and no one has been recruited to replace them.

It has been said by Kirk's son in law/recruiting coordinator that the 2024 recruiting strategy is to dump Iowa's entire NIL war chest on keeping the stud defensive players who are on the fence about going pro. I want to keep them back too, but is that a strategy that will lead to better results on the field? Nope. It's idiotic.

Let's say we luck out and keep our stud LBs and one of the stud DBs...how is next year's team any better than this year's? It's the OFFENSE that makes Iowa so hard to watch and the lack thereof that has forced Iowa to go over a year without beating a ranked opponent. The 2023 team ranked dead last (133rd) in total offense, and the coaching staff is focused on the defense? No effort has been made to prioritize better talent to replace weak links at OL, QB, or WR. Heck, Iowa's top two TEs could also be gone...and I've heard of no TE prospects from the portal either. No new OL coach or WR coach either?

If the goal to have another year where Iowa sets records on the lowest over/under in Vegas history, they may achieve it. However, it's nothing to be proud of to have an offense that can't put up 10 points in a game and a defense that constantly bails them out with super close low scoring games.

The fans need an exciting product on the field...not an elite defense with no offense to support it.
Honest question... would you rather have Caleb William's, USC's defense, and their record? Or be 10-3 having played in the B1G Championship game with an upcoming January 1 game? #DumbQuestionsAreDumb

Iowa's 2023 team reloaded with another elite level defense and Norm Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered not for the emergence of Higgins or DeJean, but as a national ll o
Wow, IowaLaw, I didnt know that Norm Parker is back from the dead to coach the defense. Amazing catch by you. Now I will go back to read the rest of your post although, hey it is not like we are the coaches are bringing these guys back like you say it but these players want to play for Phil again with their teammates and maybe try to do even better and improve their draft stock.

Iowa's 2023 team reloaded with another elite level defense and Norm Parker winning the Broyles Award. They too were wasted. The team will be remembered not for the emergence of Higgins or DeJean, but as a national laughing stock. Despite Petras moving on, they managed to have the worst offense in modern college football and a terrible quarterback who managed to play every single snap. Unfortunately, that QB is back next year, as are most of the OL from the nation's 130th ranked scoring offense. Worse yet, the team's top two receivers and top OL are gone and no one has been recruited to replace them.

Better yet here’s a question back. Why would you not let the studs on defense return who want to?

The Iowa Defense is really good. However they are also aided by playing a weak non conference and B1G West schedule. Moving forward it will be unreasonable to expect the Defense to maintain the production at a similar level as the schedule will get tougher. Simply the offense needs to drastically improve if Iowa is to stay in the top 1/3 of the conference. QB, WR, and OL talent all need to improve. This is all just obvious stuff that has seemed foreign to so many.
The defense can be as good if the offense does its complementary part and eats clock and score some points to rest our defense and keep the other guys offense off the field.

Ok hear me out, players on a good defense come back which means the defense is good to great again. That combined with a new OC and some new wrinkles and we set a bar for this program that anything less than 9 wins a year is unacceptable, BOOM!

Meh…this schedule thing is WAAAYYY over done by fans. With a month to prepare Utah scored 7 points vs NE. Hell they scored 28 vs Washington.,,

Ok hear me out, players on a good defense come back which means the defense is good to great again. That combined with a new OC and some new wrinkles and we set a bar for this program that anything less than 9 wins a year is unacceptable, BOOM!

Then what? Nebraska set a bar at 10, now where are they ?

Meh…this schedule thing is WAAAYYY over done by fans. With a month to prepare Utah scored 7 points vs NE. Hell they scored 28 vs Washington.,,
Nope. Utah played its 3rd string quarterback while 7 guys from their offense entered the transfer portal. It had nothing to do with a month of preparation. Northwestern played Utah's JV.

Maybe the coaching staff has finally found a quality OC who has been promised the only set of keys. If almost the whole defense returns and can perform at the level they have the last three years and the offense becomes acceptable, who knows? A guy can dream, right?

Nope. Utah played its 3rd string quarterback while 7 guys from their offense entered the transfer portal. It had nothing to do with a month of preparation. Northwestern played Utah's JV.

lolzz super glad you’re stupid enough to bring this up. Their “third string quarterback“ had 170 More attempts then their next guy, they had a number of portal guys that were not starters and they did lose two offensive lineman to NFL. Nice try dumbass.

I don’t expect you to respond… In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you respond when you don’t have something that can refute the information

The big question is “Will some of the young players bolt if the upper classmen stay?”
This could become an issue for them. I don't know how you can tell these guys not to come back, but in doing so, it may create a situation where they are cashing in some short term profits at the expense of long term gains (losing some who would be tomorrow's starters). Is this the last year of the Covid extension? If so, we're not likely to see this circumstance come around again.

I’d argue the new OC and whatever changes are made to the scheme are far more important than any individual players we could bring in.

and yes, I still expect to see some transfers when all is said and done.
Did I miss when a new OC was named that gives you this kind of hope? It's been 3 months since Brian was fired and someone is running the offense for all the bowl game practices, right?

lolzz super glad you’re stupid enough to bring this up. Their “third string quarterback“ had 170 More attempts then their next guy, they had a number of portal guys that were not starters and they did lose two offensive lineman to NFL. Nice try dumbass.

I don’t expect you to respond… In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you respond when you don’t have something that can refute the information
You expect a response when you start a post with "lolzz" and respond to simple, neutral, non-aggressive facts with "nice try dumbass?" The obesity drugs aren't working for you this Christmas?

You expect a response when you start a post with "lolzz" and respond to simple, neutral, non-aggressive facts with "nice try dumbass?" The obesity drugs aren't working for you this Christmas?

It’s dumb when you make inaccurate comments…

I believe their QB has started at least seven straight games and had 300 yards versus Arizona in his season ending outing…

Both starting Rbers played, they didn’t lose any significant starters into the portal that I can remember, and this has been posted by other posters and they have two lineman sitting out for the draft either you’re dumb or you flat out lied, which is it?!

Still waiting, you didn’t check the stats before spouting off your agenda, did you…rookie mistake.

You’re not the 1st to do it this past week. See I expected it, your probably enough of a Utah follower to know about Cam Rising and Nate Johnson, but not enough to know about their injuries and that Barnes played far and away the most games…

You also aren’t likely aware, their fans, like you are routinely bitching about a great coach, Whitmore, being there to long…

I’m very well read, so I’m prepared when someone like you says something dumb or tries to pass off bullshit…

Happy new Year 😂

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Did I miss when a new OC was named that gives you this kind of hope? It's been 3 months since Brian was fired and someone is running the offense for all the bowl game practices, right?
You're talking about the bowl game now after your post about bringing in offensive transfers for next year. I guaran-fing-t you the offense will get better next year. How much better depends on who the next OC is. What I am very confident about is that they will be better than Brian assuming Kirk doesn't completely shit the bed on this hire.

Now, with respect to personnel, the biggest concern today is that they still appear to have all of their eggs in the McNamara basket. That's a bad place to be placing eggs as that basket has had a lot of holes in it. With Brian at the helm I'd lost all hope in Iowa ever recruiting and developing an effective QB ever again. Feeling better about that possibility, but expecting someone new to come in and get that done inside of an offseason seems unlikely as well. A transfer seems unlikely given what's likely already invested/promised to Cade. Given those realities, I'd be a lot happier with a stout tackle or 2 off the portal to try and keep that sole option upright. Really hoping they can get that done because they still have problems there.

Nothing eh bud….screwed the pooch didn’t you🤪

Then what? Nebraska set a bar at 10, now where are they ?
Yeah but Nebraska's higher ups are just idiots. No other way to put it
We can set a high bar but also not be idiots. Lets hit 9 wins a year as a goal for the program without back to back 7-5's or 8-4's thats all I'm saying.

• Haha
It’s dumb when you make inaccurate comments…

I believe their QB has started at least seven straight games and had 300 yards versus Arizona in his season ending outing…

Both starting Rbers played, they didn’t lose any significant starters into the portal that I can remember, and this has been posted by other posters and they have two lineman sitting out for the draft either you’re dumb or you flat out lied, which is it?!

Well let me know if you think of anything to offset your folly!?

I think it's time that Iowa and their fans need to recognize where Nebraska is as a program and stop using them as an excuse to not aspire for more. 😉
Well done. Those words will forever define the attitude and smugness, yet cluelessness, of a program.

I think it's time that Iowa and their fans need to recognize where Nebraska is as a program and stop using them as an excuse to not aspire for more. 😉

I personally use the winning % over set time frames. Like the last 10 years for example

At this point I don’t really care about the bowl game, since any transfers wouldn’t be on campus for bowl prep either it’s a moot point. We will know who the OC is in time for spring ball however and that’s what matters most right now.

• Haha
At this point I don’t really care about the bowl game, since any transfers wouldn’t be on campus for bowl prep either it’s a moot point. We will know who the OC is in time for spring ball however and that’s what matters most right now.

I’m surprised. I do and I’m sure the kids do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT