ADVERTISEMENT

Has your opinion of Kirk changed? How?

Hahaha OK
No cheating ... that we know of, though the staff tried 3 BS moves in final moments vs Minny. Let's count that racism lawsuit as a big time cheat. Who survives that.
High character student-athletes ... plenty of arrests in early 2000's. KF was told cool it or get out. Hence the try hard Iowa walkon/wasted scholie movement. The 'Iowa Way' good grief.
22 bowls ... almost all toilet bowls. Big time blow outs in the two that counted.
Unheard of program stability ... ya OK, that worked. No real expectations besides a toilet bowl.
Stadium/facility enhancements ... like those wouldn't have happend over 3 decades.
Are you referring to the lawsuit that was largely debunked and turned out to be a money grab? The one where the allegations mirrored the way many coaches run their programs and weight rooms, including those who aren't white? If so, why do you continue to bring it up?

So many of you just don't get it. KF found the formula to win at Iowa. He started competing with the Big 2 and the Little 8. He knew he could not compete with MI and OSU, but also knew he could keep his job by being one of the best of the 8. He figured out that Iowa could produce linemen but few skill players. He had the knack of finding players that had skill that needed to be developed and if he kept the scores low and close, he would win more than he would lose by having a decent D and a simple never changing O that concentrated on ball possession. Damn, it worked for 20 years.

Now there is a new paradigm with players leaving and coming every year depending on where they can play and get paid the most. I believe KF hates it and does not want to adapt to it. Or maybe, he knows Iowa can't continually have above .500 teams with new rules. I hope he bows out gracefully.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I feel good about KF. I think he made a mistake with his son that has a tragic ending all around. We are all human and have flaws and make mistakes. Brian is finishing the season, why not wait until the end? I would think KF earned that much. Guess not.

• Love
Reactions: Hendy hawk
My opinion of him changed post “Rhabdo”. I had a relative on the team that was personally impacted by this. The way Kirk and others handled this and the lack of compassion for those impacted was completely unacceptable. Thankfully, full recovery was achieved but his place in the team was never the same. He went from someone that played regularly and actually scored a few TDs (I know, rare in today’s offense) to one that hardly sniffed the field.
Um, how about a little more context here? This is a pretty damning accusation against Kirks character.

I feel good about KF. I think he made a mistake with his son that has a tragic ending all around. We are all human and have flaws and make mistakes. Brian is finishing the season, why not wait until the end? I would think KF earned that much. Guess not.
You don’t make a mistake over the course of several years. This was willful ignorance. What Kirk allowed to happen is unforgivable. And you damn well know if it were up to him, Brian would be back next year. So fvck him and fvck all the dipshits on here attacking the AD for doing what should have been done 2 years ago.

You don’t make a mistake over the course of several years. This was willful ignorance. What Kirk allowed to happen is unforgivable. And you damn well know if it were up to him, Brian would be back next year. So fvck him and fvck all the dipshits on here attacking the AD for doing what should have been done 2 years ago.

Unforgiveable! OMG!!!

Burn HIM at the STAKE!

Elvira Mistress Of The Dark Halloween GIF by filmeditor

Give the guy credit, he found a way to keep this fraud going. Who is his agent? the 1 time hospital donation idea was brilliant. That bribe made him basically untouchable. 99/100 HC would have been sent packing after his staff abused those black players. Then that schedule, he (agent) took care of Barta with the kickback from the contract extensions and Barta took care of him with the yearly sissy schedule to keep him around. 25 years and nothing but a bunch of toilet bowls and embarrassment.
KF the Bernie Madoff of college football ... good for him.
You’re the biggest jerk off on the board. If you were actually an Iowa fan someone might care what you say.

absolutely, over the years KF's hate for change has really held this program back. College football has changed a lot in the last 25 years with new offensive schemes, transfer portal, NIL....and all Kirk wants to do is run the same base offense/defense and just "execute better" than other teams

now, it's too late and the fans have grown tired of it. he is like kodak and blockbuster, old brands that couldn't adapt and ultimately went away.

I miss Blockbuster.

Hahaha OK
No cheating ... that we know of, though the staff tried 3 BS moves in final moments vs Minny. Let's count that racism lawsuit as a big time cheat. Who survives that.
High character student-athletes ... plenty of arrests in early 2000's. KF was told cool it or get out. Hence the try hard Iowa walkon/wasted scholie movement. The 'Iowa Way' good grief.
22 bowls ... almost all toilet bowls. Big time blow outs in the two that counted.
Unheard of program stability ... ya OK, that worked. No real expectations besides a toilet bowl.
Stadium/facility enhancements ... like those wouldn't have happend over 3 decades.

After reading this, I am actually reminded of some really good times and don't agree with your take.

I think it is time for Kirk to move on because the game has far surpassed him as others have eluded to and we have had easier schedules. I don't think the Big Ten West has actually been bad until the last 2 or 3 years based on non- conference games and all games not against OSU or Michigan. The offense is beyond repair as well.

Back to the point...
You said toliet bowls and I don't think those are toilet bowl games. Outback and Cap One are usually a top 20 matchup. We have won plenty of those in the past under Kirk.

We have also sustained a level of success that not many other programs can say. We joke about 8 wins but man... that is not easy to do on a consistent basis. I give KF and company credit for that.

Finally, we did have a BCS win against GT in the Orange Bowl. That was pretty sweet.

Kirk has given me so many games that I will remember forever at Kinnick Stadium and I'll be grateful for that. He kept Iowa relevant most seasons.

Now it's all too bad how this ends. He did it to himself and forced the hand of Goetz who made 100% the right call. It will take some time to remember all the good because of how crappy the last few years have felt and the blown opportinity to be really great had we had even a below average offense.

So many of you just don't get it. KF found the formula to win at Iowa. He started competing with the Big 2 and the Little 8. He knew he could not compete with MI and OSU, but also knew he could keep his job by being one of the best of the 8. He figured out that Iowa could produce linemen but few skill players. He had the knack of finding players that had skill that needed to be developed and if he kept the scores low and close, he would win more than he would lose by having a decent D and a simple never changing O that concentrated on ball possession. Damn, it worked for 20 years.

Now there is a new paradigm with players leaving and coming every year depending on where they can play and get paid the most. I believe KF hates it and does not want to adapt to it. Or maybe, he knows Iowa can't continually have above .500 teams with new rules. I hope he bows out gracefully.
Hayden was the one who actually started to compete with the Big 2. Not sure how you’re remembering it this way. And these bad offenses have nothing to do with NIL and paying players.

My opinion of Kirk has not changed much. From the beginning he seems to be level headed, honest, hard working, and wants the best for his players. I have also seen the conservative nature and some stubborness in evaluating players. For example, it took him years to stop punting from the opponents 35 yard line even when he has a very good defense. He was on the conservative side of many risk-reward decisions. His stubborness with personnel.

But he is a hell of a head coach for keeping Iowa winning for so long. He must be a good manager and leader.

I think the whole Brian F as OC was a mistake when he did it because you just do not logically make a rookie the OC of a top 30 program.

Reactions: BG2004
Minus the pedo crap, his coaching trajectory sure mirrors Paterno. Hires his son, keeps coaching after the game has passed him by, but too much good will built up to actually fire the guy.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Since I don’t know the man at all, I’ll just go with comments I’ve read from former players. The vast majority have been complimentary and said at a point when they have nothing to gain by doing so.
I don’t blame him for hiring Brian, but I blame him for keeping him, and I haven’t heard anyone connected with the program support Kirk for that.

In an alternate universe Kirk Ferentz retired after the 2019 Holiday Bowl. The Fry/Ferentz legacy cemented after 40 years with a sendoff Holiday Bowl victory in honor of Hayden. The stage would be set for the next Iowa head coach. But that's too poetic for real life.

My opinion of Kirk has not changed much. From the beginning he seems to be level headed, honest, hard working, and wants the best for his players. I have also seen the conservative nature and some stubborness in evaluating players. For example, it took him years to stop punting from the opponents 35 yard line even when he has a very good defense. He was on the conservative side of many risk-reward decisions. His stubborness with personnel.

But he is a hell of a head coach for keeping Iowa winning for so long. He must be a good manager and leader.

I think the whole Brian F as OC was a mistake when he did it because you just do not logically make a rookie the OC of a top 30 program.
Obviously, his plan was to elevate him to a coordinator, not just for the 7 figure income, but so he could slide into the head coach position when he retired. Would have been harder to rationalize giving your son the head coach position straight from being an offensive line coach. He really over estimated Brian’s abilities.

Reactions: uihawk82
In an alternate universe Kirk Ferentz retired after the 2019 Holiday Bowl. The Fry/Ferentz legacy cemented after 40 years with a sendoff Holiday Bowl victory in honor of Hayden. The stage would be set for the next Iowa head coach. But that's too poetic for real life.
In a way...this ending (if that's what this ends up being) is appropriate. KFz always dug in his heels and waited too long...to make changes. Always. When he did it on his son's behalf...at the expense of the program...he made his biggest mistake.

Sadly, it will be a big part of how he's remembered. UNLESS...he stays and makes a nice 2-3 year run. Then it will be more of a footnote.

I

2002 was elite
2000 - 104/116 (Ken O'Keefe)
2001 - 45/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2002 - 13/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2003 - 92/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2004 - 104/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2005 - 22/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2006 - 27/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2007 - 109/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2008 - 53/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2009 - 89/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2010 - 57/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2011 - 76/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2012 - 117/124 (Greg Davis)
2013 - 84/125 (Greg Davis)
2014 - 66/128 (Greg Davis)
2015 - 72/128 (Greg Davis)
2016 - 121/128 (Greg Davis)
2017 - 117/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88/128 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124/130 (Brian Ferentz)

Like I said

2006 we were 27th in offense? That’s shocking……

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT