ADVERTISEMENT

Hate To Say It But...

This might sound strange. He is 6'9" and comes from a basketball family. No offense intended, but does he want to play basketball?

Reactions: SB_SB
Not sure how the eligibility works out but is PM planning to take a medical RS year so he can play one year w Jack?

Someone w mkre time than me will have to figure out if that works out.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
This might sound strange. He is 6'9" and comes from a basketball family. No offense intended, but does he want to play basketball?
It's a valid question. So many nuances go into chemistry and what makes teams gel.
It might not be politically correct but it is possible the team plays better when he's not playing. It also could be that Pat was a wake up call and the team rallied for him and themselves.
As you mentioned, burnout is real. It happens at all levels of sports.
Let's hope the break gets Pat back in the game if he chooses that.

Reactions: Bishop1971
The team has been playing better. They do seem to have produced better chemistry without Patrick on the floor, although the Hawks are pretty thin. Seem tougher and more alert. Of course, that could also be the reaction to the three lazy loses.

Reactions: Sett1997
Dolph said on the post game Patrick will be dressed and ready to go against NW. I agree with Law though, why ruin a good thing.

Dolphin was just relaying a comment made by Patrick when Patrick walked by Gary earlier. It's not that complicated. Quit making GD the bad guy. Geez

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
I didn't know it was quite so obvious (to everyone by Fran) that Sandfort's stats are better than PMac in EVERY stat when using per minute. And PMac is only better this year in total rebounds, but has more minutes per game. I was quite shocked PMac had almost 5 per game, tho.

My take is that this team is a prime example of what they can accomplish when they play within themselves and what happens when they try to do too much. Even Kris has shown at times to try to do too much and he takes bad shots. Perkins played a great game against MD because he took what they gave him. When he and Ulis force things they turn the ball over and take bad shots. Patrick is the same. The only player that continually shows patience and plays his role is Connor.

Fran has a built the most complete roster that he has had yet but the key to this team, without any true superstars and players that can take over a game on their own, is to get everyone to buy into their role and excel at it. If they do that and follow the script of not turning the ball over, getting to the line, not fouling and getting good shots on the offensive end, very good things will happen. It makes them incredibly difficult to defend because there is no true weakness like in years past.

I hope Patrick comes back healthy and well and finds his niche.

I have to admit, the OP is right on the money.

The Hawks are now 4-0 playing without McCaffery. What's more important is they are playing as a cohesive team with everyone chipping in, winning the lose ball battles, hitting shots, and getting back on defense.

There's something to be said for not having a ball hog out there who specializes in off balance, fall away, missed layups. It disrupts chemistry. It leads to fast breaks going the other way.

The question now is who do you take minutes away from to give them to the coach's son? The team is coming off their highest shooting % performance of the entire year at 60%. Sandford and Dix came off the bench and played 20 and 16 mins. Are you going to take their mins away? Conner is playing the best basketball of his 7 year career. Do you take his minutes? Certainly you don't take mins from Kris or Rebraca.

Unless Patrick can start rebounding like the 6'9 player he is, he needs to come off the bench and play no more than 8 mins per game to avoid disrupting this team's momentum.

Frans teams seem to play better when short handed. Maybe I'm crazy and their is no correlation.

My take is that this team is a prime example of what they can accomplish when they play within themselves and what happens when they try to do too much. Even Kris has shown at times to try to do too much and he takes bad shots. Perkins played a great game against MD because he took what they gave him. When he and Ulis force things they turn the ball over and take bad shots. Patrick is the same. The only player that continually shows patience and plays his role is Connor.

Fran has a built the most complete roster that he has had yet but the key to this team, without any true superstars and players that can take over a game on their own, is to get everyone to buy into their role and excel at it. If they do that and follow the script of not turning the ball over, getting to the line, not fouling and getting good shots on the offensive end, very good things will happen. It makes them incredibly difficult to defend because there is no true weakness like in years past.

I hope Patrick comes back healthy and well and finds his niche.

Not that I disagree with the overall premise but we've already seen Kris take over multiple games.

When you can put 30 in a college game that qualifies.

I have to admit, the OP is right on the money.

The Hawks are now 4-0 playing without McCaffery. What's more important is they are playing as a cohesive team with everyone chipping in, winning the lose ball battles, hitting shots, and getting back on defense.

There's something to be said for not having a ball hog out there who specializes in off balance, fall away, missed layups. It disrupts chemistry. It leads to fast breaks going the other way.

The question now is who do you take minutes away from to give them to the coach's son? …

Thanks for being modest? 🙄

We are dangerously thin in the front court. Of course we could use him back. Our only front court options right now are Mulvey and Sandfort if you consider him a forward. It can’t be easy playing for your dad. And we know the lightning rod Fran is. Let him gradually work his way back. He will be needed down the stretch.

Don't expect him to play 30 minutes a game. He'll need to work back into the speed and flow of the game. One thing is this team seems to be really good supporting each other. I think they have good chemistry and love seeing them root for each other.

"they have been on fire. Reeling off 3 straight Big 10 wins without Patrick has put them right back in contention. If the Hawks win their next two games (both very winnable, at home against Maryland and Northwestern)"
Now 4 games in a row and Slaw doesn't "hate to say it" he loves btchn about everything from football to basketball.

It's sad to say, but Patrick's game is just cringeworthy out there. Against Northwestern tonight, he was just 1-5 from the floor with 3 turnovers in 16 minutes of playing time. Worse yet, his uncoordinated, matador style defense was far worse than his out of control, brick laying, offense. It's cruel for Fran to keep sending him out there.

Unfortunately, the Northwestern game was not an isolated "bad game" for Patrick. 1-5 shooting is now his standard performance night in and night out. Against Illinois last week, he was 1-4 (0 rebounds) and couldn't guard to save his life. He hit just 1-9 against Nebraska. His 3-15 performance against EIU was a clinic on how not to play.

Patrick's best game since returning to the team was against Ohio State. There, he had 9 points, but again was just 1-5 from 3. The guy is a shell of the player he was expected to be in this, his 3rd year at Iowa coming in as a highly touted 4 star recruit.

Much is made of the problems with nepotism on the football team, but Fran continuing to play his son when he's clearly not ready for prime time, both physically and mentally, is not a good look for the program.

Last edited:
It's sad to say, but Patrick's game is just cringeworthy out there. Against Northwestern tonight, he was just 1-5 from the floor with 3 turnovers in 16 minutes of playing time, and defense was far worse than his offense. This game was not an isolated "bad game" for him either.

Against Illinois last week, he was 1-4 (0 rebounds). He hit 1-9 against Nebraska. 3-15 against EIU. His best game since coming back was the Ohio State game, where he was 1-5 from 3 and finished with 9 points. There is no doubt about it, the guy is a shell of the player he was expected to be in this, his 3rd year at Iowa coming in as a highly touted 4 star recruit.

Much is made of the problems with nepotism on the football team, but Fran continuing to play his son when he's clearly not ready for prime time, both physically and mentally, is not a good look for the program.
Why do you post if you hate the basketball coach and players while also hating the football team and coaches? Are you really a hawkeye fan because I've never read a post that was positive about anything Iowa related. Just curious.

It's sad to say, but Patrick's game is just cringeworthy out there. Against Northwestern tonight, he was just 1-5 from the floor with 3 turnovers in 16 minutes of playing time, and defense was far worse than his offense. This game was not an isolated "bad game" for him either.

Against Illinois last week, he was 1-4 (0 rebounds). He hit 1-9 against Nebraska. 3-15 against EIU. His best game since coming back was the Ohio State game, where he was 1-5 from 3 and finished with 9 points. There is no doubt about it, the guy is a shell of the player he was expected to be in this, his 3rd year at Iowa coming in as a highly touted 4 star recruit.

Fair. Too bad Fran can’t or won’t see it.

I'd say using stats from tonight is not the game to go on. Sandforts stats are about identical. Rebraca even had a crazy amount of turn overs. Not saying Pat is all conference but this game pretty much every player can be singled out.
I really don't understand what they were thinking trying to post Rebraca.

They pretty much shut down TJD on the block the previous game.

You can’t post on the block against NW unless you have Edey.

I really don't understand what they were thinking trying to post Rebraca.

They pretty much shut down TJD on the block the previous game.

You can’t post on the block against NW unless you have Edey.
Did we change the game plan from when we beat them? I know they are playing about as good if not better than any big team right now but everything sucked tonight. Game plan to players. It was just awful.

Did we change the game plan from when we beat them? I know they are playing about as good if not better than any big team right now but everything sucked tonight. Game plan to players. It was just awful.
Whats worse is they drilled us without their star player Awcheez for most of the game because of foul trouble. I still think we lose even if we hit 30 to 40 % of our open 3's.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Just doing a simple look,.. 40% from 3 would have been worth another 18 points of offense and a 2 point loss,.. A little better defense and remove the technicals, it's a potential win.

Just doing a simple look,.. 40% from 3 would have been worth another 18 points of offense and a 2 point loss,.. A little better defense and remove the technicals, it's a potential win.
I believe Iowa wins then by 5-10 points, with just 5 more 3's. Things unwound in a hurry after Fran's T. He also doesn't get that T down just a few points. Bottom line is they need to figure out how to hit shots away from Carver.

Last edited:
I believe Iowa wins then by 5-10 points, with just 5 more 3's. Things unwound in a hurray after Fran's T. He also doesn't get that T down just a few points. Bottom line is they need to figure out how to hit shots away from Carver.

This team absolutely needs the 3,... without it the paint gets overly clogged, and then we can't perform inside or out...

PMac and Ulis winding down their junior years and though serviceable, hardly memorable careers.

Next years lineup will probably feature both or at least rely heavily on them as seniors. I hope they can step up but there is really little to think they will be game changers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT