ADVERTISEMENT

Have we talked about e-bikes yet?

unIowa

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
So Mrs unIowa and I went on what felt like a 4 week vacation sprint all over the country and my liver is yelling at me at the current moment and I think the kidneys are operating at 30% capacity as they are still trying to catch-up with all the punisment I sent their way.

However during one of those vacation legs we were on some swank resport in PA (I believe the Bachelor was filmed there a few years back...at least that is what I was told) and one of those days we took out e-bkes to ride the campus (which was huge) and it was a blast, made even hills enjoyable. Anyway, was wondering if anyone on HROT has an ebike and if so what recommendations, if any, they have in terms of brand, how often they use them vs how often they thought they would use them, and if you had to do it over again would you get the same ebike or would you pass on the purchase all together? If something different what would you have done differently.

Also, it is nice to be back for a hot second, summer HS baseball and softball season just wrecked my HROT posting free time.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I have non e road bike. Because I'm still in my prime.

But in regards to e-bikes, I have a relative that loves this brand.

I can't justify owning an ebike, but have spent a decent amount of time considering one. Definitely want one that is powered at the crank rather than in the rear wheel hub.

The Specialized Turbo Vado SL would be my pick. Not a heavy tank like lots of ebikes, still more bike like than others.

Reactions: Ole Jim and unIowa
I have non e road bike. Because I'm still in my prime.

But in regards to e-bikes, I have a relative that loves this brand.

Oh I'm not thinking about exercise, much, but rather me and the Mrs strolling along to rural drinking establishments that happen to be off bike paths or in the country. So I am thinking longer range fat tire bike.

So earning our drinks and if we happen to have a few too many or we take the bikes too far to get back we just phone up one of the kids to come get us (lol). Maybe doing some touring from town to town that have some BnBs or smaller hotels for us to stay at overnight to recharge.

Basically anything to get away from the children but nothing where I become a giant sweaty mess or get saddle soars (which just sounds awful).

Reactions: Ole Jim
I have an ebike that I use when I don’t want to actually ride. It’s a form of transportation for short trips - not exercise. I love it for that purpose. I love my regular human powered bikes for exercise.

Wife & I bought a couple earlier this year. The brand we went with is LectricBike

I've been pleased. Using the pedal-assist setting, they have pretty good range; haven't come close to running out of charge on a ride, though I mostly pedal & only let the motor kick in a little on hills. The one we got has fat tires, so can handle sandy areas without issue. It's shipped as a "Class 2", top speed under motor power is about 20; you can change a setting to make it run as a Class 3. From various reviews, they're considered a good bike for a lower-priced Ebike. They're made with quality components; it pedals easily & shifts gears smoothly (they use Shimano gears (the bikes we bought are 7 gear).

They weigh about 60 pounds or so, and fold/unfold fairly easily. One thing I don't like - the design & weight make it difficult to transport them on a regular car-carrier, so when we've gone off we've had no choice but to go in either my wife's SUV or my son's truck.

Wife & I bought a couple earlier this year. The brand we went with is LectricBike

I've been pleased. Using the pedal-assist setting, they have pretty good range; haven't come close to running out of charge on a ride, though I mostly pedal & only let the motor kick in a little on hills. The one we got has fat tires, so can handle sandy areas without issue. It's shipped as a "Class 2", top speed under motor power is about 20; you can change a setting to make it run as a Class 3. From various reviews, they're considered a good bike for a lower-priced Ebike. They're made with quality components; it pedals easily & shifts gears smoothly (they use Shimano gears (the bikes we bought are 7 gear).

They weigh about 60 pounds or so, and fold/unfold fairly easily. One thing I don't like - the design & weight make it difficult to transport them on a regular car-carrier, so when we've gone off we've had no choice but to go in either my wife's SUV or my son's truck.
Dang Sea, your son is old enough to drive? I remember the old sig pic of them on a sliding board (?) I think. Time moves on..

Dang Sea, your son is old enough to drive? I remember the old sig pic of them on a sliding board (?) I think. Time moves on..

Yeah, for awhile my sigpic was them playing on a Playskool slide at our lakehouse. The older is getting ready to head off to his 2nd year of college. The younger is old enough to drive now. :confused:

Reactions: noleclone2
The older is getting ready to head off to his 2nd year of college. The younger is old enough to drive now. :confused:
Well hell, happy days are coming soon. Freedom!
Empty nest on the horizon.
No kidding, time flies, right?

Reactions: unIowa
Cannondale makes some in the $2000-$2500 with about 40 miles of range and they are not obvious Ebikes.

road a $15,000 top of the line full suspension SWorks Specialized Mountain bike. Very nice and addictive.

they have their place. My only problem with them is newbies (no biking skills/experience) able to a hive crazy speed in congested biking areas causing problems.

They are starting to ban them on the beaches down here in Pinellas. Lots of run-ins with beach goers once the crowds arrive. The big tires look pretty cool but I'll stick to my beach cruiser that I actually have to pedal.

There are so many different brands advertising on Facebook that it's hard to keep track.

These Rambo bikes are made in Centerville Iowa and are more pricy. They all seem to have the same "engine" look which leads me to believe that most are all made in the same factory in China and stamped for American companies to sell.

So lots on RAGBRAI. Saw a guy carrying two extra battery packs.

I didn’t see too many. Our team rides behind the pack though so most of the folks that would be on ebikes were probably ahead of us. The one day that we rode closer to the pack (Sunday) is when I saw a few. Outside of Anthon someone on an ebike went ripping up a hill at around 15 mph drawing a significant number of jeers from the other riders.

There are so many different brands advertising on Facebook that it's hard to keep track.

These Rambo bikes are made in Centerville Iowa and are more pricy. They all seem to have the same "engine" look which leads me to believe that most are all made in the same factory in China and stamped for American companies to sell.

Yeah…it seems there are a handful of Chinese factories that make the various frames/styles and then they private label and put together the components that label wants on the bikes they offer.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I didn’t see too many. Our team rides behind the pack though so most of the folks that would be on ebikes were probably ahead of us. The one day that we rode closer to the pack (Sunday) is when I saw a few. Outside of Anthon someone on an ebike went ripping up a hill at around 15 mph drawing a significant number of jeers from the other riders.

He’s just getting to the next stop so he can set up camp in a prime spot for pulling in trim.

Good for that dude.

Well hell, happy days are coming soon. Freedom!
Empty nest on the horizon.
No kidding, time flies, right?

I think this ebike purchase just might be a mini-mid life crisis for me (lol) as I have been looking forward to the day the kids are all out. Of note I have a 11th, 9th and 6th grader.

Love them to pieces but I am getting to the point where I’d be ok with them not being around so much as I work remote and the wife can take some early retirement if she wants in the coming years…probably will wait for the youngest to fly the coup before she does that though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT