ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever seen a person die right in front of you?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
I have twice. Neither were particularly bad.

My maternal Grandfather died in his bed surrounded by family when I was in high school. He was 80 years old, had skin cancer and was ailing for a couple years. He was a Deacon in the Catholic Church for 50 years and had 8 kids. He basically was sleeping and stopped breathing. It was pretty gentle. Family members started praying the "Our Father" as he left this world.

The second was in 2019. I went to a funeral for a family friend. He was from Israel and had dementia for several years. He was one of the happiest men I've ever known; his wife (no pics) said she only saw him in a bad mood twice during their long marriage.

His funeral was on a beautiful spring day. My car was parked on the grass and I was getting ready to drive home. There was a man wearing a suit standing about 8 feet in front of me in the grass and he dropped and hit his head on the ground. I cringed and looked around. Immediately, a crowd of people ran to help him. They got on their cell phones and I thought it was safe to leave.

I drove away and heard sirens about 3 minutes later. Apparently, he was the driver of the hearse and was 80 years old.

He had a heart attack and didn't die immediately. He was in the hospital for a few days then died. So, I guess I didn't witness his exact moment of death, but it was pretty close.

CSB.

How many people have you seen catch the dead?

Yes two separate motorcycle accidents about 30 years apart.
Both on curves with no other vehicles involved. One was a crotch rocket that flew by us just north of waverly when I was about 10 on old 218. Now I didn’t see it but we were maybe 10 seconds behind him. Cut in half by a telephone pole. I just remember my dad grabbing two blankets out of the trunk to cover him up.
I do know a guy that made out with three different girls a week before they died. They called him the kiss of death.

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
Yup, I was at a house party back in college and a white kid dropped the N word and a fight broke out. A kid trying to separate 2 of the people fighting got stabbed in the chest and died.

Yup, I was at a house party back in college and a white kid dropped the N word and a fight broke out. A kid trying to separate 2 of the people fighting got stabbed in the chest and died.

Jesus dude. That’s nuts

Both on curves with no other vehicles involved. One was a crotch rocket that flew by us just north of waverly when I was about 10 on old 218. Now I didn’t see it but we were maybe 10 seconds behind him. Cut in half by a telephone pole. I just remember my dad grabbing two blankets out of the trunk to cover him up.
I do know a guy that made out with three different girls a week before they died. They called him the kiss of death.

How did the girls die?

Jesus dude. That’s nuts
Yeahhh, the party was for my friend's 21st birthday. I didn't know anyone at the party other than him and the 2 guys I went with so we were only stopping by for an hour or so before meeting up with some friends at UNI. Then all that happened and we just decided to head back to CR. Kinda tough to party after seeing something like that. Also felt bad for my buddy because he lost a friend on his 21st birthday. Just a shitty situation all around.

The article is paywalled...glad you survived.

Remarkable that your family is Catholic, and your examination of world religions led you to... Catholicism.
Never woulda guessed.

2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

I remember walking by that party. Was pretty close to Main Street, where I partied that night. Somebody in our group knew someone there and we almost stopped, but the crowd looked young and we moved on.

Reactions: McLovin32
Remarkable that your family is Catholic, and your examination of world religions led you to... Catholicism.
Never woulda guessed.

My maternal side is Catholic. My Father is no religion.

I was fortunate to return to the true religion although I was an agnostic/atheist for 15 years. :)

I studied Islam, Buddhism and protestantism a bit and atheist philosophy like Nietszche, Camus and Schopenhauer.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkdave007
I remember walking by that party. Was pretty close to Main Street, where I partied that night. Somebody in our group knew someone there and we almost stopped, but the crowd looked young and we moved on.
It was a very diverse group of folks there, that’s for sure. Crazy ****ing night

Ten years ago next week, my dad. Will never forget that morning. Doctors pulled me aside and told me he would not get better and consistent with his wishes, time for a decision. Had to tell my mom, my sister and brother, but we all agreed it was time. Dad lasted about eight minutes after the final machine was turned off. We watched him take his last breath. At least he didn't die alone.

I have not, but my son was a freshman at Iowa when the Cubs won the Series and was downtown for the game. Afterwards a student climbed a light pole and fell to his death and my son was right there. Honestly he’s never gotten over it. My wife was home from college when her dad died of a heart attack, she was there as people tried CPR. She has never gotten over that for sure.

The family sat with my dad as he passed. I felt his pulse until it stopped.

In my Grandpa's last days he said my Mom, my sister and I could stay with him in the hospital. He hung on well beyond what was expected. At on point he stopped breathing for 8 minutes. The thing is, some people just will not go while someone is with them. I tried to get my sister to go out for air with me, but she refused to leave him alone. Later she went to get some rest while mom and I stayed. I got mom a cup of coffee and sat chairs right outside the room. As we finished our coffee, we knew he had passed.

People are strange in life and in death.

Was the one just north of Waverly near Plainfield? 30 or so years ago I remember my friends dad telling us about a motorcycle that went through a brick building off of 218 on the south side of Plainfield. At least I’m pretty sure it was Plainfield. You could see discolored bricks where the repair had been made.

• Wow
I have twice. Neither were particularly bad.

My maternal Grandfather died in his bed surrounded by family when I was in high school. He was 80 years old, had skin cancer and was ailing for a couple years. He was a Deacon in the Catholic Church for 50 years and had 8 kids. He basically was sleeping and stopped breathing. It was pretty gentle. Family members started praying the "Our Father" as he left this world.

The second was in 2019. I went to a funeral for a family friend. He was from Israel and had dementia for several years. He was one of the happiest men I've ever known; his wife (no pics) said she only saw him in a bad mood twice during their long marriage.

His funeral was on a beautiful spring day. My car was parked on the grass and I was getting ready to drive home. There was a man wearing a suit standing about 8 feet in front of me in the grass and he dropped and hit his head on the ground. I cringed and looked around. Immediately, a crowd of people ran to help him. They got on their cell phones and I thought it was safe to leave.

I drove away and heard sirens about 3 minutes later. Apparently, he was the driver of the hearse and was 80 years old.

He had a heart attack and didn't die immediately. He was in the hospital for a few days then died. So, I guess I didn't witness his exact moment of death, but it was pretty close.

CSB.

How many people have you seen catch the dead?
Does it count if I wasted them myself?

Came upon an accident on a terribly foggy late winter day. Someone tried passing and was hit head-on by a semi. Two victims, neither was wearing seatbelts. One was lying in the middle of the highway, the other in the ditch. Both obviously already dead. We got out and tried to flag down vehicles so they wouldn't hit the debris or run over the body on the highway. We were on our way to supper. Eventually turned around and came home.

The other was my then MIL...on Christmas Eve. My no pic spent the day with her in the hospital and called me to say I needed to get to the hospital ASAP (we had no idea that was gonna be her last day on this planet). All 3 of us watched TV into the evening. Eventually, she closed her eyes and I held one of the MIL's hands and sang Christmas carols (I'm a damn good singer) until she passed.

Was the one just north of Waverly near Plainfield? 30 or so years ago I remember my friends dad telling us about a motorcycle that went through a brick building off of 218 on the south side of Plainfield. At least I’m pretty sure it was Plainfield. You could see discolored bricks where the repair had been made.
No. I do remember hearing something about that.
This was on the s curves north of the air port. Ther was a gravel road that went west off the first curve so there was always gravel on that curve. Very dangerous.
It was banked well so if you weren’t from around there you were likely going to go too fast.

I have no remorse for anything I've done in the defense of my brothers, family or country.........
You don't have to defend your actions. I agree with that. But you took someone's son, daughter, husband, dad, mom, etc loved one. For that you should have remorse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT