ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever seen this before? Joe Wieskamp!

Nothing good from these clips.
Hawk fans, once again, are duped into thinking the arrival of a top recruit will somehow change the systemic issues with Fran Ball.
Prepare for a major letdown next year.

Yet coaches and programs are committing all kinds of impermissible acts to get top recruits because they don’t make a difference?

You are claiming that talent does not trump coaching. I’m claiming that it can and that’s the principal reason for player acquisition corruption. The proof is in the pudding.

OK fine.
Several 5 star recruits over the course of a few seasons will definitely improve a team with a coach who still may be a good teacher of basketball.
One 4 star recruit to a team with a coach who can't teach basketball will not.

Reactions: Stink_Peterman
OK fine.
Several 5 star recruits over the course of a few seasons will definitely improve a team with a coach who still may be a good teacher of basketball.

It’s one more four star, top 50 player than we had but there will be no improvement if our ‘core’ 6 players return too? That’s an IF too.

I can see only two (very small) reasons to be hopeful for Fran's future:

1. Fran has done it before! When they reached, what, #3 in the country??!! What in thee holy hell happened there??!! I mean really, WTF??! I don't know, but it DID happen. Maybe whatever clicked then, will click again.

2. Surely Fran is no dummy. He surely realizes now he needs to abandon his philosophy for something new. He may do this, and his new direction might very well be successful. Who can say with any certainty it won't be? No one.

Those are are, as far as I can see, Iowa basketball's two chances to turn things around.

4 returning starters and two highly touted recruits came this year.
And look what happened.

Do you not think both guys showed pretty well as freshman. Garza more so than Nunge?

Again lots to be seen about the roster construction next year and if we lose any of the core 6 to transfer which is highly possible. If the core 6 stays, adding Joe is going to help and we won’t need him to carry the mail just be a solid 3rd or 4th option which is possible for a guy rated top 50 and has played against quality AAU competition.

Can our defense improve enough to be bad / marginal is the number one question? JBO is the biggest question because he keeps us in games offensively at times but defensively really hurts us.

Moss is also an enegma but the emergence of Dailey offering 3 position flexibility along with Joe from the 3 or maybe 2 offers more options for the streaky Moss. Can we get JBO off the ball some with Connor playing a few minutes and/or Dailey and/or one grad transfer at PG? Lots of questions there but adding Joe as a 3 and Connor as a back up PG narrows the divide.

The answer could be no it won’t matter but I’m just not ready to predict next year based on this one. Let’s see what the roster looks like going into next year and what the commitment level is by the group is.

I haven’t ever been this excited to see a player suit up in black and gold, he’s going to be awesome! As long as Cook, Garza, Jobo don’t transfer this team I feel will be really good in 2 years.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
As a friend once said to me. "You can be the best horse trainer in the
world but your not gonna win the Kentucky Derby with a plow horse"
But by the same token, think of how many years Notre Dame FB was down, with their top 10 recruiting classes and Iowa was going to Bowls with 30/40/50ish rated recruiting classes.

I love so of the so called Iowa fans ........who else can take a positive and turn it into a negative! If we were receiving no talent I could see reason for complaining. Here's the way I look at it .....most of the time freshman and sophomores spend there time leaning from the bench ....why..... because they are not ready to play Div. 1 basketball. So why are we surprised at the tough year! The great news is ...they have taken there lumps and next year will be better. And with the incoming talent the next couple of years will make it better for years to come. My guess is we wont be hearing much from some of the complainers moving forward. Unless of coarse there complaining we should be winning more than 25 games!

2. Surely Fran is no dummy. He surely realizes now he needs to abandon his philosophy for something new. He may do this, and his new direction might very well be successful. .

This should sound familiar, it's what we said of KFz a few years ago. He didn't really change, though his 2015 team caught lightening in a bottle. He was never really in danger and as such, not real motivated to change... for the same reason; an untouchable contract.

But back to the OP...that's a pretty impressive play from a kid who really has nothing to prove. Serious hustle.

Reactions: Stink_Peterman
I guess all that falls into my #1 point about cl
This should sound familiar, it's what we said of KFz a few years ago. He didn't really change, though his 2015 team caught lightening in a bottle. He was never really in danger and as such, not real motivated to change... for the same reason; an untouchable contract.

You're probably right, but there is still a sliver of a chance.

Oh god.
More holier than thou spewing from the self proclaimed "real" fans.
LOL ok.

The great news is ...they have taken there lumps and next year will be better. And with the incoming talent the next couple of years will make it better for years to come.

Oh, so you weren't saying this after last year?
BS.

Reactions: Scoot_Riggins
4 returning starters and two highly touted recruits came this year.
And look what happened.
I suggest you bookmark your posts here for next year. You’re overwrought with you desire to be negative. Fran’s style rubs some the wrong way. But other than this year, his teams have slightly overachieved national preseason prognostications every year. That’s not overly optimistic- just fact. 2 more touted recruits coming in next year and these to the backcourt. Yes, I’m counting CM because he was obviously not able to play to his potential with illness/injury. Yes, I do expect some adjustments. But Moss playing next year anything like he did at the end in the last 2 minutes @MN gives a major improvement already.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I love so of the so called Iowa fans ........who else can take a positive and turn it into a negative! If we were receiving no talent I could see reason for complaining. Here's the way I look at it .....most of the time freshman and sophomores spend there time leaning from the bench ....why..... because they are not ready to play Div. 1 basketball. So why are we surprised at the tough year! The great news is ...they have taken there lumps and next year will be better. And with the incoming talent the next couple of years will make it better for years to come. My guess is we wont be hearing much from some of the complainers moving forward. Unless of coarse there complaining we should be winning more than 25 games!

So Fran really IS building a regional powerhouse.

I feel better already.

Reactions: SpartyHearty
Joe will be a great get for our program, possibly lead the team in scoring, and next year we rip through the BIG with a top three finish. The Negativites can be quiet for once.

OK fine.
A four star top 50 recruit, replacing a former walk-on won't help? This is your claim?

Joe will be a great get for our program, possibly lead the team in scoring, and next year we rip through the BIG with a top three finish. The Negativites can be quiet for once.

I detect sarcasm, but at the same time maybe hope. At any rate, my biggest fear is at the B1G level, Weiskamp will just be another in a long line of players that have good offensive skill, but can't create their own shot. These type of players really need to be playing with a drive & kick PG, in my opinion.

I detect sarcasm, but at the same time maybe hope. At any rate, my biggest fear is at the B1G level, Weiskamp will just be another in a long line of players that have good offensive skill, but can't create their own shot. These type of players really need to be playing with a drive & kick PG, in my opinion.
I don't think any player" creates his own shot." Tired of hearing that phrase.Let's reword it.

OK fine.
What you really mean is(1) he's from an Iowa high school, and (2) he's white.

I think he means drive to the hole for layup or drive and pull for a jumper or floater without anyone on the assist

In other words creating your own space for a decent shot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT