ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2021-2022

Here's my second pre-season article. It is a breakdown of Iowa's four new players, plus a brief discussion of Iowa's recent recruiting uptick.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...1/11/5562/iowa-wbb-2021-2022-meet-the-newbies
Don’t forget that Sydney Affolter and Addison O’Grady were both invited to the 2019 U16 USA team trials. They were among about 52 of the total of 152 players invited that were from the class of 2021, which infers that they were invited over many other players in their class that were ranked above them in the recruiting services. Furthermore, Sydney made it through the first two cuts to remain one of the 68 best players in all three of the classes represented and Addison O’Grady made the cut through three rounds to remain one of 42 of the total players to do so. These are commendable achievements for Sydney and Addison and bodes well for their career potential as young Hawkeyes.

Here is an article previously posted about Sydney Affolter’s experience with the 2019 USA U16 Olympic team trials…

BIG + now has the whole Iowa-Truman State game available.
Thanks for pointing this out! I assumed it was a lost cause and never would have gone back to check without this post.

Some thoughts after watching the first half:
-It's easy to forget just how smoooooth Clark is with the ball in her hands. 😍
-Though she only played a couple minutes, Ediger showed some nice stuff. A rebound, assist, and bucket off a post move. Playing time may be limited this season but she will definitely develop nicely.
-With the exception of Warnock and Marshall, who are our two best shooters outside of Clark (who can do just about everything on offense), there seemed to be a newfound emphasis on slashing as opposed to settling for outside shots. Feuerbach, Affolter, Martin, Taiwo, and even Cook all had nice drives. I have continued optimism about the potential for a bit more flexibility in our guard rotation this season -- being able to mix shooters and slashers depending on matchups / who is having a hot night. This will of course help keep bodies fresh for defense.
-Our defense looked somewhat better -- all around more engaged and active. But the score was definitely deceiving. Truman State got quite a few open looks that better teams will certainly do a better job at knocking down. And we still gave up too many offense boards. Too many possessions where one player doesn't make an effort to box out... or the opposite problem where everyone boxes out but no one tries to grab the ball. It's gonna be a stressful season to watch, that's for sure. 😂

Is there any alternative place to catch the game tonight aside from BTN+? I understand if that info cannot be posted here directly.

W. Only followed some of the radio broadcast, but how good is Feuerbach? Seems like she already is the go-to sub off the bench. She and Clark are really the only two guards on the roster with the size and athleticism that mirrors what other elite programs in the country have in their backcourts. Can defend well, and improved shooting would be a bonus.

Also is Goodman hurt or has O'Grady already taken over the backup 5 spot?

Edit- Somehow missed the Goodman ACL news last month. That's awful for her. Iowa still has depth and size with O'Grady and Ediger in this freshman class. Opportunity for them to earn more early career minutes.

W. Only followed some of the radio broadcast, but how good is Feuerbach? Seems like she already is the go-to sub off the bench. She and Clark are really the only two guards on the roster with the size and athleticism that mirrors what other elite programs in the country have in their backcourts. Can defend well, and improved shooting would be a bonus.

Also is Goodman hurt or has O'Grady already taken over the backup 5 spot?

Edit- Somehow missed the Goodman ACL news last month. That's awful for her. Iowa still has depth and size with O'Grady and Ediger in this freshman class. Opportunity for them to earn more early career minutes.
Feuerbach is good. She's better at driving to the basket than any guard not named Clark, and also adds a lot in transition. Her athleticism should help the team defense and rebounding too. I think she will play starter minutes or close even if she doesn't actually start many games.

I think O'Grady is better than Goodman right now, and I was a big Goodman fan. She looks more confident than Goodman ever did in the post, and has contributed well on the glass in her first two games. I'm at the point where I already don't understand playing Cook over O'Grady at the backup 5 for any length of time. Just let O'Grady develop.

Feuerbach is good. She's better at driving to the basket than any guard not named Clark, and also adds a lot in transition. Her athleticism should help the team defense and rebounding too. I think she will play starter minutes or close even if she doesn't actually start many games.

I think O'Grady is better than Goodman right now, and I was a big Goodman fan. She looks more confident than Goodman ever did in the post, and has contributed well on the glass in her first two games. I'm at the point where I already don't understand playing Cook over O'Grady at the backup 5 for any length of time. Just let O'Grady develop.
Goodman tore her ACL. I disagree that O'Grady is better than Goodman was at the end of last season. O'Grady has shown excellent potential. She needs to be just a little more under control. Goodman was a solid defensive player last year and always produced off the bench. Now, by the end of the season O'Grady could potentially be better than Goodman, especially with Goodman missing time. O'Grady also has a lot more range then either Goodman or Czinano. She has huge upside and played well tonight overall but did not look nearly as dominant as she did against Truman State. Sunday against UNI will be a good litmus test of where she's really at.

Cook is getting more minutes at this point in the season because of experience. O'Grady is not as familiar with the offense right now. Cook is not a huge offensive threats but she does the dirty work that often goes unnoticed. O'Grady has more upside and I expect her minutes to increase as the season progresses. However, I expect Cook to still see 8-10 minutes a game consistently through the year as she's also backing up McKenna at this point.

Despite a big win, I was moderately disappointed with the team tonight. Too many turnovers and some poor decisions. New Hampshire was very physical and got a lot of calls their way. Torres got away with some obvious flops. Iowa had several traveling calls against them negate what should have been easy buckets. I know that the team worked on mostly defense during the summer and it showed tonight as they were not a rhythm and turnovers led to some runs by New Hampshire.

This was a team that Iowa should have dominated from start to finish. Instead there were lapses at times. Hopefully Thursday will be a cleaner game.

Re: Cook vs. O'Grady. We're going to need both to contribute in addition to Monika. It's a longgg season, and even if O'Grady ends up being a better option at the 5 than Cook (which she likely will), we're still going to need Cook for stretches at the 4. Affolter as the back-up 4 could work against some teams but other times we will need more size.

Re: Feuerbach. Loved what I saw of her driving and her defense. Didn't realize her ballhandling was so good and her length and athleticism coming off the bench are a huge asset. She just needs to play within herself -- rushed a few drives into the heart of the defense which resulted in offensive fouls and/or turnovers. She'll get better at learning when to pull that trigger vs when to just set the offense up.

Re: Disappointments. Echoing what Gabe said about turnovers, I would add rebounding. I get that we can't pull down every board, but it drives me crazy when we have multiple bodies in the area of the paint but they are not in pursuit of the ball off the glass. Way too many of those.

Re: Michigan needing OT to beat IUPUI. Amy Dilk was injured (likely an ACL, sadly) at the very beginning of the game. Dilk isn't 100% healthy either but was relied upon more than Michigan had planned in Dilk's absence. Michigan seemed a bit shaken after that. But Naz is Naz and put the team on her back as usual. That said, IUPUI is legit tournament team (11-13 seed range IMO). Preseason favorite to win the Horizon league.

Re: Minnesota losing. Just very bad decision making down the stretch by Minnesota on both ends of the court. Turnovers, untimely fouls... big yikes.
Shocked
The team had zero chemistry, and no one looked like they were having fun. Not saying you should be laughing and smiling when you're trailing a "bad" team, but where was the fire? Where was the hunger to compete? Whalen just needs to hold on until that top-10 recruiting class gets there next year.

Other B1G: Nebraska looked better than last year. They don't have Kate Cain's large frame to block shots, but their smaller backcourt is more mobile and athletic. Jaz Shelley (transfer from Oregon) has shown great chemistry with Sam Haiby, both in their exhibition and today vs. Maine. Having two quality facilitators is really going to open up their offense so Haiby doesn't have to carry as heavy of a load. Nebraska is my new :dark horse" team in the conference...

Re: Cook vs. O'Grady. We're going to need both to contribute in addition to Monika. It's a longgg season, and even if O'Grady ends up being a better option at the 5 than Cook (which she likely will), we're still going to need Cook for stretches at the 4. Affolter as the back-up 4 could work against some teams but other times we will need more size.

Re: Feuerbach. Loved what I saw of her driving and her defense. Didn't realize her ballhandling was so good and her length and athleticism coming off the bench are a huge asset. She just needs to play within herself -- rushed a few drives into the heart of the defense which resulted in offensive fouls and/or turnovers. She'll get better at learning when to pull that trigger vs when to just set the offense up.

Re: Disappointments. Echoing what Gabe said about turnovers, I would add rebounding. I get that we can't pull down every board, but it drives me crazy when we have multiple bodies in the area of the paint but they are not in pursuit of the ball off the glass. Way too many of those.

Re: Michigan needing OT to beat IUPUI. Amy Dilk was injured (likely an ACL, sadly) at the very beginning of the game. Dilk isn't 100% healthy either but was relied upon more than Michigan had planned in Dilk's absence. Michigan seemed a bit shaken after that. But Naz is Naz and put the team on her back as usual. That said, IUPUI is legit tournament team (11-13 seed range IMO). Preseason favorite to win the Horizon league.

Re: Minnesota losing. Just very bad decision making down the stretch by Minnesota on both ends of the court. Turnovers, untimely fouls... big yikes.
Shocked
The team had zero chemistry, and no one looked like they were having fun. Not saying you should be laughing and smiling when you're trailing a "bad" team, but where was the fire? Where was the hunger to compete? Whalen just needs to hold on until that top-10 recruiting class gets there next year.

Other B1G: Nebraska looked better than last year. They don't have Kate Cain's large frame to block shots, but their smaller backcourt is more mobile and athletic. Jaz Shelley (transfer from Oregon) has shown great chemistry with Sam Haiby, both in their exhibition and today vs. Maine. Having two quality facilitators is really going to open up their offense so Haiby doesn't have to carry as heavy of a load. Nebraska is my new :dark horse" team in the conference...
I'd like to see Ediger at the 4. For no more minutes that she plays she always produces. More potential than Cook in my opinion.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I have seen a lot of center freshman under Lisa. The only freshman that looked better O Grady to me was Megan. I saw Megan when summer leagues were allowed, it was easy to know she could be really good.
She could shoot and rebound like no one else in the league

Last edited:
Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
J-ville was 4-17 last year!
Whalen will be on the hot seat going into next season but with a top class coming in I don't Minnesota making a change. I think Whalen is overrated and not a good coach. She doesn't get a long with her players and just not a good fit for the college ranks. She might have more success at the WNBA level where $$$ might negate the negative effect her personality has in developing a rapport with her players.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I have seen a lot of center freshman under Lisa. The only freshman that looked better O Grady to me was Megan. I saw Megan when summer leagues were allowed, it was easy to know she could be really good.
She could shoot and rebound like no one else in the league
Which Megan?:) Gustafson certainly was good, but Skouby was also very good as a freshman. Took the starting position early in the season after Stacy Schlapkohl got hurt and never looked back.

I'd like to see Ediger at the 4. For no more minutes that she plays she always produces. More potential than Cook in my opinion.
She has a lot of upside as a freshman, but I think Cook's experience can't be discounted. Ediger will have plenty of time to develop. Cook offers leadership and knowledge that Ediger can't at this point. Cook is a senior. She's knows the offense/defense sets. It doesn't hurt to have another voice out there, especially if other veterans are on the bench. Cook hustles her ass off and deserves to get minutes her senior season. She stuck around and put in time in the program and does what's asked of her. Let her have her senior season. Ediger will get her shot down the line.

Reactions: undersized_post
Just saw the box score on ESPN and Drake won 82-79. Jensen started and had 8 points and Meyer who also started had 7 pts. Jensen of course for Creighton and Meyer for Drake.

Just saw the box score on ESPN and Drake won 82-79. Jensen started and had 8 points and Meyer who also started had 7 pts. Jensen of course for Creighton and Meyer for Drake.
Fun game to watch with lots of Iowans involved. Drake likes to play fast and can really score (not unlike us in that way) as they put up 28 in the first quarter. Iowa vs. Drake on November 21 should be a good litmus test for our defense. If we barely survive another 103-97 shootout like last year, that will not bode well for our season. Grace Berg, a versatile 6'0'' forward, was and will be a difficult matchup for us.

Random thoughts on tonight's game:
Offense:
--Good shot selection by Clark. Especially liked how she didn't force her shot in the first quarter. Still ended the first half with an efficient 15 points. Good chance for her to get more live game experience playing off the ball in our offense.
--I liked our high low action against their zone. Brought back great memories of the Gustafson/Stewart days. Unusual to see us run that style of offense these days but it works well against that weird 3-2 zone Samford was playing.
--O'Grady's shot looks very natural for a player of her height. As she develops, I hope to see her become stronger with the ball and improve at finishing through contact. She could have had about 10 more points those final few minutes of Q4.
--We (especially the 2nd unit) forced / telegraphed too many passes in the teeth of the defense. Or some passes were just lazy. I don't mind the dead ball turnovers as much (were some of those travels legit???) or the passes that go out of bounds on a fast break, but those lazy passes will kill us against better competition.

Defense:
--Better effort on the glass tonight, especially in the first half. A bit tougher time rebounding out of the zone in the 2nd half.
--Felt like we were getting more deflections on defense than usual. Hope that translates to better competition. But we can't be satisfied letting their best shooter go 5-9 from three. Not sure if we deliberately left her open on the perimeter so much or if our zone was just too slow to rotate, especially in the 2nd half.

Misc.:
--Our B1G+ commentator is very good compared to some of the amateurish/inexperienced commentators from other schools in the conference. He's smooth and professional and keeps the fluff to a minimum.

Offense:
--Good shot selection by Clark. Especially liked how she didn't force her shot in the first quarter. Still ended the first half with an efficient 15 points. Good chance for her to get more live game experience playing off the ball in our offense.
--I liked our high low action against their zone. Brought back great memories of the Gustafson/Stewart days. Unusual to see us run that style of offense these days but it works well against that weird 3-2 zone Samford was playing.
--O'Grady's shot looks very natural for a player of her height. As she develops, I hope to see her become stronger with the ball and improve at finishing through contact. She could have had about 10 more points those final few minutes of Q4.
--We (especially the 2nd unit) forced / telegraphed too many passes in the teeth of the defense. Or some passes were just lazy. I don't mind the dead ball turnovers as much (were some of those travels legit???) or the passes that go out of bounds on a fast break, but those lazy passes will kill us against better competition.

Defense:
--Better effort on the glass tonight, especially in the first half. A bit tougher time rebounding out of the zone in the 2nd half.
--Felt like we were getting more deflections on defense than usual. Hope that translates to better competition. But we can't be satisfied letting their best shooter go 5-9 from three. Not sure if we deliberately left her open on the perimeter so much or if our zone was just too slow to rotate, especially in the 2nd half.

Misc.:
--Our B1G+ commentator is very good compared to some of the amateurish/inexperienced commentators from other schools in the conference. He's smooth and professional and keeps the fluff to a minimum.
I agree about the announcer. He went to high school in West Liberty and was an excellent football and basketball player. Played football at a small college and has announced a large nunber of high school games. He is very good.

Here's my recap of the Samford game. I checked Iowa's schedule from last year, and realized that Iowa didn't allow less than 60 points in a game last season. So far the team has given up 50 and 54 in its first two this year, though the competition isn't great. I'd like to see how the defense looks against better teams, but there might be some signs of improvement.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...9/9-iowa-91-samford-54-two-games-two-blowouts

Offense:

Defense:

Misc.:
I am still waiting for a dominant performance. Court awareness was very poor tonight. It just seemed like a lot of people going through the motions and the lazy passes and passes to nowhere. Offense needs to communicate. Use hand motions to signal and make more eye contact. We won tonight because we were playing against an inferior team.

It was not all bad. There were some great stretches where things were clicking and in rhythm. Obviously Monika stepped it up tonight. Lots of other players also looked to drive the lane which will be needed. Sydney flashed some potential in that regard that we hadn't seen from her previous games.

I really think Logan Cook had a great game tonight even if her stats were a little pedestrian. She just brought so much energy and hustle -- getting a steal and nice rebound and put back. She's gonna need to work on her outside shooting. She was wide open for the three she missed badly. But if she can put in the time in the gym and even get around 30% she could make teams pay for forgetting her. It was really late in the shot clock so I can forgive taking an ill advised shot but I really would have liked to see her put the ball on the floor in those situations as she had room to maybe drive for a floater.

I really like when Tomi and Kylie are in the game together. The defense just seems at a different level. Really need the intensity to step up for UNI and for the offense to work on their communication. Turnovers and missing bunnies let the other team stay in it. If we have 17 TOs against UNI it could be a really long night.

One thing is clear, Feuerbach's 3-point shooting needs improvement. It‘s no fluke that she shot under 30% last season. Hope she can work on it.

Just realized that today's game (UNI) is on NBC Sports Chicago. I was just going to watch it on ESPN+, but it is in my TV listings.

Reactions: mphawk
I will have a recap of the UNI game at some point later, but I did want to mention quick that last year, Iowa never gave up fewer than 62 points in a game all season. Last year, Iowa gave up 81 to UNI at home.

So far in three games this year, Iowa hasn't allowed more than 61 points. The defense today didn't always look great, but it has been significantly better than last year's defense so far. We'll see if that holds up as the competition gets better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT