ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

Indiana Fever got the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft lottery today. That's a potential Caitlin Clark / Kelsey Mitchell / *Grace Berger / Nalyssa Smith / Aliyah Boston starting line up if Clark turns pro. I might be the only one on here who feels this way, but I want her to do it because that's a team I would absolutely love to watch.
*or Kristy Wallace, or a free agency signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
Indiana Fever got the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft lottery today. That's a potential Caitlin Clark / Kelsey Mitchell / *Grace Berger / Nalyssa Smith / Aliyah Boston starting line up if Clark turns pro. I might be the only one on here who feels this way, but I want her to do it because that's a team I would absolutely love to watch.
*or Kristy Wallace, or a free agency signing.
If Clark does go pro I want the Fever sign Gustafson just to see them on the floor together.

Destiny Leo, our next opponent Cleveland State's leading scorer and reigning Horizon League POY, is out for the season. She had already missed a few games, but the extent of the injury was announced just recently.

Here's my preview of the Iowa State game. The short version is the Cyclones have lost by double-digits to every solid team they've played. But they also have a few very interesting freshman, and rivalry games at Hilton are never easy.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/preview-iowa-wbb-vs-iowa-state
Anyone have any insight re: Emily Ryan's 'health concerns? If she returns, Clones could potentially be a tourney team. Was impressed watching them vs the Hawks.

Anyone have any insight re: Emily Ryan's 'health concerns? If she returns, Clones could potentially be a tourney team. Was impressed watching them vs the Hawks.
Multiple people on Reddit / twitter who claim to know a thing or two (could be BS — grain of salt) have consistently said she will likely miss the whole season. Something very serious going on healthwise — not just a run of the mill injury.

Reactions: hawkod
O’Grady has been relegated to garbage minutes. Didn’t see that coming.

Somehow Edigar — a top 50 player out of HS, right around where Stuelke was — gets even less. Didn’t see that coming either.

I’d be shocked if Ava Heiden doesn’t jump both. I would be so ready to transfer if I was either one of them…

O’Grady has been relegated to garbage minutes. Didn’t see that coming.

Somehow Edigar — a top 50 player out of HS, right around where Stuelke was — gets even less. Didn’t see that coming either.

I’d be shocked if Ava Heiden doesn’t jump both. I would be so ready to transfer if I was either one of them…
If I love my teammates and coaches and my school, I don't.

Multiple people on Reddit / twitter who claim to know a thing or two (could be BS — grain of salt) have consistently said she will likely miss the whole season. Something very serious going on healthwise — not just a run of the mill injury.
She looks pretty decent today against Troy.

Reactions: shikreto
Anyone have any insight re: Emily Ryan's 'health concerns? If she returns, Clones could potentially be a tourney team. Was impressed watching them vs the Haw

Fennelly has said they hope to make a decision around Christmas as to whether she'll be back vs. taking a redshirt.

ETA - Ryan was back for their game Sunday.

Last edited:

This is the most fascinating video I've watched in a while. It's film from a team therapy session December 3, 2022 after Iowa had started the season a disappointing 5-3. Kate Martin talks the most, looks like Caitlin was crying, etc. It's the only time I've ever heard the players speak privately like this - so different from their public media personas.

Last edited:

This is the most fascinating video I've watched in a while. It's film from a team therapy session December 3, 2022 after Iowa had started the season a disappointing 5-3. Kate Martin talks the most, looks like Caitlin was crying, etc. It's the only time I've ever heard the players speak privately like this - so different from their public media personas.
Its crazy. Clark talks about going for 40 and Bluder yelling at her the next day about her mistakes, decision making whatever. I don't think any of us had an idea just how bad things we're in the locker room. Clark saying I don't want to try winning by myself, but in some games all I see is blank stares on your faces, and I have to take it on myself. Thats not what I want. Astounding how they rebounded from that point, and went like 26-3 after that....

Caitlin was certainly crying. Honestly, this is worth its own thread. Truly shocking if I’m being honest to hear Kate Martin say that this team (the team that had the benefit of returning the same 5 starters for the third year) did not have chemistry compared to the four years before that.

And then to basically watch Clark have to fully own the blame (all of the blame, then and “now”)…it felt like watching a reality show reunion. Compelling and, in some ways — especially as a reluctant but undeniable fan of reality tv — unnerving…but also super enlightening. Also super interesting to think about the dynamics this year.

It’s so easy to overlook the intricacies of being a student athlete, on a team as successful and notorious as Iowa…I do wish we got to hear something from Bluder if I’m being honest.

I guess my takeaway is that, as fans, we are so ridiculously spoiled to get this peek into the dynamics of the team. Though perhaps it shouldn’t be so surprising. But it really is so much more than athleticism and playmaking. Think about the decision of Martin, Czinano…and of course Clark…of whether to take the fifth year. Theres a lot more under the surface than we might imagine.

Last edited:
I see that Oklahoma lost at home to a 2-9 Southern team. Something's not right with the Sooners. Can coach Jennie Baranczyk right the ship? They do have Aubrey Joens and Sahara Williams.

• Wow
Reactions: undersized_post
I see that Oklahoma lost at home to a 2-9 Southern team. Something's not right with the Sooners. Can coach Jennie Baranczyk right the ship? They do have Aubrey Joens and Sahara Williams.
I actually recently mentioned on Reddit that I find it surprising how so many hawk fans seem to be all in on Jennie B as the best candidate to succeed Bluder. I don’t think she is a particularly bad coach, but I don’t know that she has earned the status of heir apparent either.

Caitlin was certainly crying. Honestly, this is worth its own thread. Truly shocking if I’m being honest to hear Kate Martin say that this team (the team that had the benefit of returning the same 5 starters for the third year) did not have chemistry compared to the four years before that.

And then to basically watch Clark have to fully own the blame (all of the blame, then and “now”)…it felt like watching a reality show reunion. Compelling and, in some ways — especially as a reluctant but undeniable fan of reality tv — unnerving…but also super enlightening. Also super interesting to think about the dynamics this year.

It’s so easy to overlook the intricacies of being a student athlete, on a team as successful and notorious as Iowa…I do wish we got to hear something from Bluder if I’m being honest.

I guess my takeaway is that, as fans, we are so ridiculously spoiled to get this peek into the dynamics of the team. Though perhaps it shouldn’t be so surprising. But it really is so much more than athleticism and playmaking. Think about the decision of Martin, Czinano…and of course Clark…of whether to take the fifth year. Theres a lot more under the surface than we might imagine.
This look behind the curtain is such a rarity; I can't remember seeing something like this in any sport. What's also astonishing is that this video was okayed for public consumption by Coach Bluder. Speaks volumes as to the culture surrounding her program.

This look behind the curtain is such a rarity; I can't remember seeing something like this in any sport. What's also astonishing is that this video was okayed for public consumption by Coach Bluder. Speaks volumes as to the culture surrounding her program.
I agree. Some of the comments didn't exactly put her in the best light. Still I have no beef with Lisa or her staff. As she's only somewhat opened up about to this point, having an absolute mega talent on your squad can be extremely difficult at times. For all the tremendous good CC has done for the program, its rough trying to keep team unity, and treat all the players equally. I mean there is NO way you don't give a super nova like CC the green light, or let her play through rough patches, and yet its a balancing act keeping everyone on the same page. The job that Lisa and her staff did leading this team from the low point at the time of this video all the way to the national title, is amazing. I also believe that the head doctor was Lisa's idea, (for Clark intially) to help her get a handle on coping with her stardom as it relates to her team mates. I also believe from this chaos came the idea for "our circle" we saw later in the year as the players AND coaches would sit in a big circle daily, and focus on the journey, and their goals.

Last edited:
Jan will certainly get 1st crack at the job if she shows some interest. Will the interest be there ?

Jan will certainly get 1st crack at the job if she shows some interest. Will the interest be there ?
Sure as associate HC you would think so. Still The three amigoes, Lisa, Jan and Fitz have been together for all 24 years I believe. It would probably depend on how much longer Bluder decides to stay. I don't think theres that much difference in their ages.....

Sure as associate HC you would think so. Still The three amigoes, Lisa, Jan and Fitz have been together for all 24 years I believe. It would probably depend on how much longer Bluder decides to stay. I don't think theres that much difference in their ages.....
Approximately seven years between Bluder and Jensen. Fitzgerald is roughly a year older than Jensen.

Approximately seven years between Bluder and Jensen. Fitzgerald is roughly a year older than Jensen.
Cool. I thought that Lisa was just cutting her teeth in coaching when Jan was playing at Drake. I know that Lisa started at St Ambrose. Was she coaching at Drake when Jan was leading the nation in scoring at Drake?

Cool. I thought that Lisa was just cutting her teeth in coaching when Jan was playing at Drake. I know that Lisa started at St Ambrose. Was she coaching at Drake when Jan was leading the nation in scoring at Drake?
Only Jan's senior year. And, I believe Fitzgerald graduated the year before Bluder got there. You can find on YouTube a Drake women's game pre-Bluder with Jensen, Fitzgerald, Julie Fitzpatrick (Jan's spouse) and Missy Slockett (Disterhoft's mom). And, of course, they're playing the Hawkeyes.

Only Jan's senior year. And, I believe Fitzgerald graduated the year before Bluder got there. You can find on YouTube a Drake women's game pre-Bluder with Jensen, Fitzgerald, Julie Fitzpatrick (Jan's spouse) and Missy Slockett (Disterhoft's mom). And, of course, they're playing the Hawkeyes.
Very good info wneff. Thanks.....

Interesting game against the Gophers. New Gopher coach is a half-court defense devotee, which makes her somewhat of an odd duck in the BIG. Hate that the Gophers have had extra long to prepare for Iowa, and work extra hard on frustrating CC.

Weak Gopher schedule makes it hard to get a read on Gophers. Minnesota leads the BIG (13th nationally) in raw defense (points allowed per 100 possessions), but when you try to adjust for schedule, Her Hoop Stats ranks them 58th in adjusted defensive efficiency, and Massey rates them 81st on defense. Gophers played well on D against UCONN.

Iowa is somewhat the opposite of the Gophs on defense: bad raw numbers (91st in points allowed per 100 possessions), but Her Hoop Stats ranks Iowa 13th in adjusted defensive efficiency, while Massey rates Iowa 71st on D.

Would really help if Marshall, Affolter, Davis or Feuerbach could be productive from the 3-point line. Marshall, Davis and Affolter are all shooting in the mid 20s percentile wise from 3, which really hurts. Conversely, Grace Grocholski is the Gopher freshman wildcard. She is somewhat of a volume 3 shooter, and shooting 36.8%. She was way under recruited out of Wisconsin (no Iowa offer), but is one of 3 BIG freshman averaging in double figures. With the focus on Braun, Grocholski is frequently open from 3.

Very good info wneff. Thanks.....
The first (of four) videos of the 1989 Drake-Iowa game. Assume folks can find the others. Same site has several Iowa men's NCAA tournament games. I had thought Fitzgerald was a year ahead of Jensen, but they are both introduced as juniors.

• Wow
Reactions: undersized_post
I have been a Molly Davis skeptic since soon after her commitment to Iowa. That roster spot represented one of the last chances to really get some athletic help for CC. And Molly, I have believed, does not fit the bill. But a skeptic should be open to evidence of what Molly Davis does bring. Tonight was the second tough game this season, the first being the second KSU game, where Iowa does not win without the play and scoring of Molly Davis, including when CC was on the bench. Props to her.

Edit: Was thinking today about Molly Davis and Moira Joiner (MSU # 22) and how their paths must go back to high school or before, given their geographic backgrounds. Sure enough, Davis had a huge game to defeat Joiner's reigning state championship team in 2019, though Joiner's team would repeat as state champs.

Last edited:
Emily Ryan looks frightfully thin. Whatever she was suffering from, I hope she's overcoming it. She's a helluva hooper.

Reactions: hawkahawk
I have been a Molly Davis skeptic since soon after her commitment to Iowa. That roster spot represented one of the last chances to really get some athletic help for CC. And Molly, I have believed, does not fit the bill. But a skeptic should be open to evidence of what Molly Davis does bring. Tonight was the second tough game this season, the first being the second KSU game, where Iowa does not win without the play and scoring of Molly Davis, including when CC was on the bench. Props to her.

Edit: Was thinking today about Molly Davis and Moira Joiner (MSU # 22) and how their paths must go back to high school or before, given their geographic backgrounds. Sure enough, Davis had a huge game to defeat Joiner's reigning state championship team in 2019, though Joiner's team would repeat as state champs.

Molly is vulnerable defensively, and teams do like to isolate her due to her size. But she makes up for it in a number of ways. I wish she had another year of eligibility, she'd be our best PG1. (I'm assuming Caitlin will be in Indy) As it is, it looks like Bluder is developing McCabe as a potential starter while Guyton is developing.

Reactions: ichawk24

Affolter has quietly been playing so well this season and deserves more recognition! Her strengths (toughness, rebounding, nose for the ball) coming off the bench have been the perfect complement to our starters.

It's early but I'd definitely put her up there as a leading 6POY candidate in the conference.

I still think the lack of solid consistent post play is the weak spot, Hannah is coming along OK, but in order to be legit final we will need sharon/addie to step up big time. Over the last couple of games Sharon looked way slow on closeouts and she is struggling to post, catch, and finish against the big. Addie has shown some flashes in really limited minutes. I get the idea is to play 5 out and use speed to wear other teams down. I just don't think that's gonna work against the lsu/sc types. I think this year if possible the committee will tryptophan match iowa/usc for the Caitlin/JuJu matchup. Won't work if we are the same seed though

I still think the lack of solid consistent post play is the weak spot, Hannah is coming along OK, but in order to be legit final we will need sharon/addie to step up big time. Over the last couple of games Sharon looked way slow on closeouts and she is struggling to post, catch, and finish against the big. Addie has shown some flashes in really limited minutes. I get the idea is to play 5 out and use speed to wear other teams down. I just don't think that's gonna work against the lsu/sc types. I think this year if possible the committee will tryptophan match iowa/usc for the Caitlin/JuJu matchup. Won't work if we are the same seed though
I do think Sharon and Addie both have a lot of room to grow. Sharon has shown strong post finishing against teams earlier in the year, so I think it's partially a matter of adjusting to increased speed and intensity. I also suspect she will get a little faster as conditioning and recognition improve. I think Ogrady is confidence and assertiveness, so with her it would be more light turning the light on... big jump in short time but she has to decide she's going to do it rather than trying to do it.

Reactions: fish1hawk
Watching Michigan winning the FBS championship, I sensed that Iowa's got to win the NCAA this season to completely kick SEC down from its stronghold on college sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT