ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

This has somehow fallen under the radar but Kennise has confirmed on TikTok that she tore her ACL. That means she certainly won’t play next season and BOTH our true PG options for next year will be unavailable at least most of the year and probably all of it. We absolutely need a PG from the portal. I hope Bluder has reached out to Chen from Princeton.
It's kind of incredible how many injuries the program (I'm including recruits in this definition) has suffered this year while the rotation itself has largely stayed healthy. Hannah missed a few games, Molly is missing time now, but that's basically it.

3 of 8 top seeds lost at home yesterday. 2 others trailed by multiple possessions at some point in the second half. 1 got taken to OT. Seeds mean nothing at this point.

3 of 8 top seeds lost at home yesterday. 2 others trailed by multiple possessions at some point in the second half. 1 got taken to OT. Seeds mean nothing at this point.
I think it's more that people in general don't understand that favorite doesn't mean sure thing. Iowa-West Virginia feels like an 80/20 game. Iowa should win, but if Iowa plays poorly, West Virginia plays really well, or some combination, West Virginia could certainly win.

Stanford-Iowa State was probably an 80/20 game also. The 20% almost hit because Iowa State shot 63% from three in the game.

And while 3 of 8 higher seeds did lose yesterday, I think Baylor was probably the favorite over Virginia Tech without Kitley, and Colorado-K-State was close to 50/50.

Can we talk about Edigar for a minute? Someone raised a good point on another thread that some minutes from a veteran, even just to hold down the fort, would have been welcome today. It got me thinking that I’ve never rly seen a good explanation of her situation. She was ranked right around where Stuelke was in HS — higher than both O’Grady and Syd actually (just per ESPN anyway) — but is clearly last off the bench at the 4 and 5.

I get that she probably wasn’t a great matchup for Cardoso lol so I’m not gonna worry about today. But really…why has she not been able to get any regular, quality minutes at all? Was it that her ranking was truly overblown? What skills, traits etc led to her achieving such a high rank, regardless of where she is now? What would have to happen (for her, or for the team) for her to get meaningful minutes next year?

She seems to be quick and have a nice jumpshot — something even Stuelke doesn’t have…I’ve heard others says she can shoot the 3 well. Is she truly just not a good fit for the 4 or 5 in Bluders system? If so, why not? Is her presence on the court really that much of a liability? Do we think Bluder has made the right call in leaving her on the bench for so long? Might next year be different? Genuinely curious, esp as it relates to thinking about next year’s roster. Could she thrive in another program if she transfered?

Last edited:
Can we talk about Edigar for a minute? Someone raised a good point on another thread that some minutes from a veteran, even just to hold down the fort, would have been welcome today. It got me thinking that I’ve never rly seen a good explanation of her situation. She was ranked right around where Stuelke was in HS — higher than both O’Grady and Syd actually (just per ESPN anyway) — but is clearly last off the bench at the 4 and 5.

I get that she probably wasn’t a great matchup for Cardoso lol so I’m not gonna worry about today. But really…why has she not been able to get any regular, quality minutes at all? Was it that her ranking was truly overblown? What skills, traits etc led to her achieving such a high rank, regardless of where she is now? What would have to happen (for her, or for the team) for her to get meaningful minutes next year?

She seems to be quick and have a nice jumpshot — something even Stuelke doesn’t have…I’ve heard others says she can shoot the 3 well. Is she truly just not a good fit for the 4 or 5 in Bluders system? If so, why not? Is her presence on the court really that much of a liability? Do we think Bluder has made the right call in leaving her on the bench for so long? Might next year be different? Genuinely curious, esp as it relates to thinking about next year’s roster. Could she thrive in another program if she transfered?
When I watched her high school tape I was intrigued because I thought she was good around the basket and also could shoot from the perimeter.

The issue in hindsight is that she's not quite tall or big enough to play as a 5 in Iowa's system and she's not athletic enough to play the 4. If we could turn back time, I think her career might've played out differently at a school like Creighton in a 5 out system.

Otherwise, she was probably overrated at the time. I also don't think she's developed a ton, but frankly it's hard to develop when you don't have a natural position fit.

In general I'd say top prospect lists miss all the time for a variety of reasons. The 2020 class is one of the best ever. Most of the Top 12 in the class range from very good to All-Time great. Yet the #9 player in the class was Priscilla Williams, who hasn't really had an impact at three different schools (if there's a reason for that beyond basketball, I don't know).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT