ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

I hope to be shocked tomorrow with an Iowa victory. Bluder is 2-13 at Ohio State, and the victories came against OSU teams that finished with losing records. Caitlin, for her part, is 0-3 against OSU, and the two losses in Iowa City were heartbreakers that both featured late consequential turnovers by her. Hoping she and the Hawks can flip the script tomorrow.
Seems unlikely that Warnock will play, making it even more difficult a task than it already was...

Reactions: oldhawk56
It was going be hard to win with Warnock. Need to limit turnovers as that is a big part of their offense, turning people over for easy scores. Their press destroyed Tennessee

Reactions: undersized_post
Can I just say I appreciate the input from the regulars who post on this thread. Man, there's a whole lot of stupid from part-time women's basketball fans on those game threads.
I have to admit it but I was previously just a passive fan of Iowa women's basketball. This has all changed the last two years and watching this team is now "must" TV. They're not only very good but also tremendously entertaining to watch.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how effective but also freaking ridiculous it was for us to have Caitlin and Molly face guarding Ohio State's Mikulasikova as part of our triangle and 2 defense? Seeing them fronting her on the block was just hilarious. 😂 I get why we did it -- she was their only 3 point thread outside of Mikesell and it alleviated Monika from having to step out and guard her on the perimeter -- but wow it was certainly unorthodox. I'm glad McGuff continued to let Ricki Harris brick three point attempts all game because it played right into our strategy.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how effective but also freaking ridiculous it was for us to have Caitlin and Molly face guarding Ohio State's Mikulasikova as part of our triangle and 2 defense? Seeing them fronting her on the block was just hilarious. 😂 I get why we did it -- she was their only 3 point thread outside of Mikesell and it alleviated Monika from having to step out and guard her on the perimeter -- but wow it was certainly unorthodox. I'm glad McGuff continued to let Ricki Harris brick three point attempts all game because it played right into our strategy.
Agree completely. I mentioned it in my breakdown, because I think every team will have to throw the triangle and two at them now at least for a bit. Mikulasikova was so ineffective that they just removed her for a large chunk of the second half.

I have never seen a triangle and two where it wasn’t two guards. It was brilliant, confusing and effective all at the same time.

Molly Davis can block shots, so it's not a complete mismatch against their center :D

I've been pretty critical of Marshall this season because of her struggles shooting the ball.

But boy, she played great defense against tOSU.

I was wrong, she can contribute other than scoring.

As I posted earlier, Gabby also shut down PSU's Makenna Marissa a couple games earlier for 12 points, and only 2 threes. She lit us up last year for 30+ as I recall in one game.

Reactions: blackett73
Tuned into the Hawk Talk radio show this evening and Coach Bluder said that Warnock still has not practiced after her injury. Hoping she is healing quickly because we’re going to need her this upcoming month

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
If we're still starting Molly in McKenna's absence, I'm struggling to see how we're going to defend Maryland. They run a 5 out style offense and are led in the scoring column by 3 versatile wings: 6'3'' Diamond Miller, 6'2'' Shyanne Sellers, and 6'0'' Abby Meyers.

If we play man defense, we'd probably put Kate on Miller, Molly on Sellers, and Gabbie on Meyers. But then we're giving up size and strength at every position. It would help tremendously match-up wise to put Caitlin on Sellers or Meyers instead of Molly, but we absolutely can't afford Caitlin picking up fouls trying to defend her. Even though Caitlin did guard Sellers last year, Sellers has taken a huge leap as a scorer and someone who can get to the FT line. So if we play man I feel like we'll need healthy doses of both Sydney and Hannah to give us more size on the wing.

I could see the triangle-and-2 working against Maryland's starting 5, as their only two shooters are Sellers and Meyers. But would this scheme be able to stop Miller from just driving to the basket at will? It worked well enough against OSU's McMahon who is a similar mold of player, but Miller is more mature and a craftier finisher. Another problem with the triangle-and-2 is they have a 46% 3 pointer shooter Brianne Alexander who comes off the bench and actually averages more minutes than their starting PG Elisa Pinzan, who isn't really a scoring threat.

All in all I think this is a game where we're gonna have to go to our 2-3 zone fairly early and hope for the best....

Curious to hear other thoughts on potential defensive schemes.

Reactions: shikreto
If we're still starting Molly in McKenna's absence, I'm struggling to see how we're going to defend Maryland. They run a 5 out style offense and are led in the scoring column by 3 versatile wings: 6'3'' Diamond Miller, 6'2'' Shyanne Sellers, and 6'0'' Abby Meyers.

If we play man defense, we'd probably put Kate on Miller, Molly on Sellers, and Gabbie on Meyers. But then we're giving up size and strength at every position. It would help tremendously match-up wise to put Caitlin on Sellers or Meyers instead of Molly, but we absolutely can't afford Caitlin picking up fouls trying to defend her. Even though Caitlin did guard Sellers last year, Sellers has taken a huge leap as a scorer and someone who can get to the FT line. So if we play man I feel like we'll need healthy doses of both Sydney and Hannah to give us more size on the wing.

I could see the triangle-and-2 working against Maryland's starting 5, as their only two shooters are Sellers and Meyers. But would this scheme be able to stop Miller from just driving to the basket at will? It worked well enough against OSU's McMahon who is a similar mold of player, but Miller is more mature and a craftier finisher. Another problem with the triangle-and-2 is they have a 46% 3 pointer shooter Brianne Alexander who comes off the bench and actually averages more minutes than their starting PG Elisa Pinzan, who isn't really a scoring threat.

All in all I think this is a game where we're gonna have to go to our 2-3 zone fairly early and hope for the best....

Curious to hear other thoughts on potential defensive schemes.
A few thoughts:

Davis is the starter, but Stuelke and Affolter have still combined for around 33 minutes in each of the Ohio State and Nebraska games. I agree that this game probably calls for a bigger lineup more often.

Maryland has a horrible defensive rebounding rate. This might be a game where Stuelke's presence on the offensive boards could be a huge boost. She has to stay out of foul trouble, though. That might be tough defending the 5 out.

I think the coaches' defensive philosophy will be trying to slow Maryland down however we can. The reality is that we're probably going to have to win a shootout. If the triangle-and-two slows them down for five or ten minutes until they figure it out, mission accomplished.

I expect the coaches to flip between defenses fairly often unless one happens to work really well. Anything that keeps Maryland a bit off balance could make the difference.

Tuned into the Hawk Talk radio show this evening and Coach Bluder said that Warnock still has not practiced after her injury. Hoping she is healing quickly because we’re going to need her this upcoming month
Is it broken ribs????

MTfDk4y.png

This table shows "Stats per 40 minutes in B1G conference play" of all freshmen playing at least 10mpg in conference play -- aka "key rotation players." Hannah leads all freshmen averaging 25.8 points per 40 minutes and 16.8 rebounds per 40 minutes. She's a beast. :cool:

Data courtesy of me playing around in Her Hoop Stats this morning.

Last edited:
O'Grady played a bit at the 5 last game. I think from a talent standpoint against tall teams with Warnock out would be start Satuelke at the 4, play O'Grady as the backup 5, and use Syd as the 3/4 backup. Possible sub minutes for Shateah for size if foul trouble? I dont know if you could use AJ/Ogrady at the 4 if foul trouble?

O'Grady played a bit at the 5 last game. I think from a talent standpoint against tall teams with Warnock out would be start Satuelke at the 4, play O'Grady as the backup 5, and use Syd as the 3/4 backup. Possible sub minutes for Shateah for size if foul trouble? I dont know if you could use AJ/Ogrady at the 4 if foul trouble?
Depends on the team. Using O'Grady as the backup 4 against Maryland would be disastrous, but you could probably make it work against Michigan. It really depends on the other team's personnel.

Some Maryland thoughts:

CC motivation high. Only BIG CC has yet to beat, and CC played really poor against MD last year in Carver.

Czinano needs to avoid foul trouble.

Warnock missed MD game last year, and Taiwo played 37 minutes. Didn’t work. Disaster game on boards. Learn from experience and play big more, as BraydonRoberts5 suggests?

But, this year’s MD different. More perimeter oriented. A poor defensive rebounding team, and a mediocre offensive rebounding team. Since joining BIG, MD top 20 offensive rebounding team every year, but # 164 this year.

Captain obvious point: turnovers key. MD # 1 in conference play in TO%, and # 1 in opponent TO%.

Some Maryland thoughts:

CC motivation high. Only BIG CC has yet to beat, and CC played really poor against MD last year in Carver.

Warnock missed MD game last year, and Taiwo played 37 minutes. Didn’t work. Disaster game on boards. Learn from experience and play big more, as BraydonRoberts5 suggests?

But, this year’s MD different. More perimeter oriented. A poor defensive rebounding team, and a mediocre offensive rebounding team. Since joining BIG, MD top 20 offensive rebounding team every year, but # 164 this year.

Captain obvious point: turnovers key. MD # 1 in conference play in TO%, and # 1 in opponent TO%.
How many minutes into the game does someone complain about Iowa's relative lack of athleticism?

Some Maryland thoughts:

I think the good news this year is that we've been pretty good against the press other than that brief stretch against Ohio State in the third quarter. As long as that trend continues, I think we're in a good spot.

I keep thinking that Stuelke could be a huge X-factor in this game. With how poorly Maryland rebounds, she should have opportunities to get more offensive rebounds than our offense is used to.

I think the good news this year is that we've been pretty good against the press other than that brief stretch against Ohio State in the third quarter. As long as that trend continues, I think we're in a good spot.
I'm less worried about Maryland's trapping press and more worried about their ball pressure and length on the perimeter in the half court.

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT