ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

So I mention this a bit in my preview (link below) but Northwestern is the team Iowa struggles with the most relative to a team's actual talent. Iowa might well win and even win comfortably, but I wouldn't count on the deep bench seeing a ton of time tonight.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/preview-iowa-wbb-vs-northwestern

I asked in the Ava Jones thread. Why isn't O'Grady playing, just her poor performance so far this year? Also, how is Kylie Feuerbach doing with her rehab? Any chance you or someone could get an interview with her? Thanks.

I asked in the Ava Jones thread. Why isn't O'Grady playing, just her poor performance so far this year? Also, how is Kylie Feuerbach doing with her rehab? Any chance you or someone could get an interview with her? Thanks.
I think the answer on O'Grady has a couple parts. 1) I think the coaches are frustrated with her development. They don't think she's being aggressive enough, and she prefers to shoot around the basket rather than developing a low post game like Gustafson and Czinano, 2) She hasn't played well this year, though I think objectively she doesn't get in long enough in most games to give a great evaluation, and 3) Stuelke needs to play and right now the backup 5 is one of the best spots to get her minutes.

For Feuerbach, I don't think now is the right time to ask about her injury. Iowa said she would miss the entire season, and we've heard nothing to believe otherwise. I think it would be better to ask how she's feeling and how her recovery went during media day next season.

A large part of my answer on Feuerbach is about balancing public interest vs. privacy. Since she isn't expected to play this year, I think her expectation of privacy outweighs the public interest in knowing how she's doing. She can always give an update if she wants to. Next year when she's expected back, the public interest is higher and I think the question is fair. She doesn't have to answer or elaborate even if it's asked.

Reactions: shikreto and BGHAWK
I think the answer on O'Grady has a couple parts. 1) I think the coaches are frustrated with her development. They don't think she's being aggressive enough, and she prefers to shoot around the basket rather than developing a low post game like Gustafson and Czinano, 2) She hasn't played well this year, though I think objectively she doesn't get in long enough in most games to give a great evaluation, and 3) Stuelke needs to play and right now the backup 5 is one of the best spots to get her minutes.

For Feuerbach, I don't think now is the right time to ask about her injury. Iowa said she would miss the entire season, and we've heard nothing to believe otherwise. I think it would be better to ask how she's feeling and how her recovery went during media day next season.

A large part of my answer on Feuerbach is about balancing public interest vs. privacy. Since she isn't expected to play this year, I think her expectation of privacy outweighs the public interest in knowing how she's doing. She can always give an update if she wants to. Next year when she's expected back, the public interest is higher and I think the question is fair. She doesn't have to answer or elaborate even if it's asked.
I agree with that entire paragraph

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5

Thank you.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5

The thing I get most frustrated with O' Grady is that she doesn't use her height when she receives the ball on the block. Frequently she will hold the ball at waist level when she is looking to pass and because she is not strong with the ball, she gets it knocked away and then falls to the floor to try and recover it. If she utilized her height and kept the ball high she wouldn't be so prone to turnovers.

what you saw with Hannah as a backup 5, was effort to get in position to affect the game both ends and she did
Hannah needs more minutes. No one on the team as productive as she is. I'd love to see her get 20+ min a game. She changes things at both ends.

Clark finally got a technical - Has she ever had one before? If not, I'm not sure how she's gone this long. She throws up her hands every time she gets bumped. Some were saying she was mad at herself on the play she got the T on, but hard for a referee to know what she's mad at as often as she complains. She hurts the team by not getting up and getting back on defense. Not a good look. Love her game, but think she could dial in the poor body language every time down the court. Bluder lets her get away w/ a lot more than anyone else would.......

Reactions: Bishop1971
I agree she isn't helping herself with the refs with her antics or whatever you wish to call them, but I thought she got hammered pretty hard on that play. Still no excuse.

I agree she isn't helping herself with the refs with her antics or whatever you wish to call them, but I thought she got hammered pretty hard on that play. Still no excuse.
I was right by where she said that. She was made at herself.

Reactions: intrepodor
She was noticeably better at the beginning of the year vs 1st 2 years; old habits hard to squelch. Was worse in high school. She's getting there.

I think she is the biggest risk we have of losing someone to the portal. She wants to play the 4, but Bluder wants her at the 5 (so do we lol). It’s frustrating to watch when we know how good she could be.
Iowa's future at the 5 is interesting. A lineup with Stuelke at the 4 and O'Grady at the 5 has huge potential. But like you said, O'Grady is a big transfer risk with the way the season has gone, and it's far from certain that she reaches her potential even if she stays.

The possibility of Warnock returning next year also complicates things. If that happens, Stuelke probably gets most of her minutes at the 5. I think she can play the 5 just fine, but we probably get the best competitive advantage with her size and athleticism if she plays the 4.

And what happens with Ediger and Goodman? Goodman hasn't looked the same since returning from injury, but maybe time helps that. Ediger plays hard, but I'm still not sure what her potential is at the 5.

There aren't enough minutes to go around. I like Stuelke at the 4 as it gives her room to move, but she is a serviceable 5....I just wouldn't make the 5 her primary spot. I was high on Ogrady last year and really excited to see what should was capable of. Monica coming back really hurt her development this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see ogrady, wetering, (heck almost any of the bench players) to look for another opportunity. It worked well for Tomi Taiwo...

Reactions: shikreto
There aren't enough minutes to go around. I like Stuelke at the 4 as it gives her room to move, but she is a serviceable 5....I just wouldn't make the 5 her primary spot. I was high on Ogrady last year and really excited to see what should was capable of. Monica coming back really hurt her development this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see ogrady, wetering, (heck almost any of the bench players) to look for another opportunity. It worked well for Tomi Taiwo...
I was thinking the same thing this morning. Even in a blowout win alot of these bench players only got 1,2,4 minutes. With the portal available i see a few girls leaving.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Even in a blowout win alot of these bench players only got 1,2,4 minutes. With the portal available i see a few girls leaving.
We all thought the same thing last year tho and it didn’t happen. But that doesn’t mean it won’t be different this time around. What will be different is that next year there should be 2-4 starting spots up for grabs, whereas at the end of last year, there were 0.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Warnock will not be returning next year as she has applied to several dental schools.
If Warnock attended dental school at Iowa would that preclude her from playing basketball? I believe Kathryn Reynolds attended law school at Iowa during her senior season. I realize dentistry and law aren't the same, but it seems like most players can make graduate school and sports work.

We all thought the same thing last year tho and it didn’t happen. But that doesn’t mean it won’t be different this time around. What will be different is that next year there should be 2-4 starting spots up for grabs, whereas at the end of last year, there were 0.

Plus, pretty much all of the girls that come to Iowa, come because of the coaches and other players and the culture. Some may be happy to be part of a team and get the minutes they get.

Hannah needs more minutes. No one on the team as productive as she is. I'd love to see her get 20+ min a game. She changes things at both ends.

Clark finally got a technical - Has she ever had one before? If not, I'm not sure how she's gone this long. She throws up her hands every time she gets bumped. Some were saying she was mad at herself on the play she got the T on, but hard for a referee to know what she's mad at as often as she complains. She hurts the team by not getting up and getting back on defense. Not a good look. Love her game, but think she could dial in the poor body language every time down the court. Bluder lets her get away w/ a lot more than anyone else would.......
I am glad you posted this. She has some drama queen to her.

I am glad you posted this. She has some drama queen to her.
And the same can be said for dozens of other players. She was mad at herself and and cursed which is why she got the T. Caitlin does draw attention to herself at times. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's a distraction. Don't diss the girl for having personality. She's actually quite toned down compared to her freshman season. And most of the time her "antics" pump up the crowd or pump up the team.

We are lucky to have her and she's in the process of re-writing every record in the book. She makes unbelievable shots and passes and has made the team better. And the scary thing is she's still improving.

Personally, I like that she has attitude. It's not like she's being disrespectful to other players or the refs. And she's not a dirty player.

Clark is an AA and a POY candidate. She deserves to be able to have a personality. She's also the main reason the stands are fuller than they've ever been before. She's putting on a show each and every night so who give a flying if she showboats a little on top of that.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder how much Stuelke's development next year could influence Clark's decision to return for a super senior season.

Czinano has obviously been a great option for Clark offensively during her time at Iowa, but her ceiling is limited significantly by her physical capabilities. Stuelke's athleticism is obviously far superior.

I don't expect Stuelke to get particularly close to her ceiling by next year, but if she starts taking over games more like she has against Purdue and Northwestern, the signs will be there. She can certainly be the next great Iowa player.

A super senior Clark and a junior Stuelke that is realizing her huge potential could easily be the best duo in college basketball.

And the same can be said for dozens of other players. She was mad at herself and and cursed which is why she got the T. Caitlin does draw attention to herself at times. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's a distraction. Don't diss the girl for having personality. She's actually quite toned down compared to her freshman season. And most of the time her "antics" pump up the crowd or pump up the team.

We are lucky to have her and she's in the process of re-writing every record in the book. She makes unbelievable shots and passes and has made the team better. And the scary thing is she's still improving.

Personally, I like that she has attitude. It's not like she's being disrespectful to other players or the refs. And she's not a dirty player.

Clark is an AA and a POY candidate. She deserves to be able to have a personality. She's also the main reason the stands are fuller than they've ever been before. She's putting on a show each and every night so who give a flying if she showboats a little on top of that.

You don’t think calling another player a “dumb bitch” is disrespectful?

And Bluder (and staff) are constant telling her that her actions about calls are disrespectful and showing up the refs.

And Bluder (and staff) are constant telling her that her actions about calls are disrespectful and showing up the refs.
Complete mischaracterization of what Bluder has said to Clark. Bluder has told Clark to let her worry about the refs because it's her job. Bluder has only had discussions with Clark because she doesn't want Clark to get a T because Clark is valuable on the floor. Bluder has always publicly defended Clark when people say she is disrespectful saying that those that say that cannot be further from the truth.

As for calling another player a dumb bitch -- where is your proof? This is the first I've ever heard of it. At the NW game she swore at herself. It was not directed a player. She wasn't anywhere near another player but was within earshot of the ref. The announcers confirmed it was directed at herself. She has been known to do this as well as slap her wrist or the back of her head when she knows she makes a mistake.

That is disrespectful if she said that. Some on here have a history of doing the same type of things, which is also disrespectful.

David Eickholt says Clark was given the T for saying "damn it". Given the Clark was running away from everyone when she said what earned her the T and her body language certainly suggested she was mad at herself I don't think "dumb bitch" makes much sense.

Are you alleging that's what Clark said to get the T against Northwestern or some other incident?

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder how much Stuelke's development next year could influence Clark's decision to return for a super senior season.

Czinano has obviously been a great option for Clark offensively during her time at Iowa, but her ceiling is limited significantly by her physical capabilities. Stuelke's athleticism is obviously far superior.

I don't expect Stuelke to get particularly close to her ceiling by next year, but if she starts taking over games more like she has against Purdue and Northwestern, the signs will be there. She can certainly be the next great Iowa player.

A super senior Clark and a junior Stuelke that is realizing her huge potential could easily be the best duo in college basketball.
I think she does come back for a 5th. She was shown on last night's men's game broadcast sitting with McCabe, and this is the 3rd time those 2 have been together at men's games recently. Seems to be buddying up with the freshmen.

I too would like some details on this 'dumb bitch' accusation. What game? Directed at who? I could see anyone letting something like that slip if they were the victim of a dirty play. However, I've been watching her play in person since she was in 9th grade and have seen NO disrespectful comments come out of her mouth. Lots of complaints and demonstrations against perceived bad calls, but nothing against her opponents.

Reactions: HIWILLE

I'd be surprised if she didn't come back for a 5th year. She has said the following to the media:
  • I love playing for Bluder and want to win as many games as I can for her
  • I never want to leave Iowa City / Iowa
  • I *might* return for a 5th year
  • I can't wait for the next 2, maybe even 3, seasons
Unless the team totally craters next year and everyone leaves in a mass transfer exodus (or maybe if Bluder retires? -- something crazy like that)...I'd be surprised if she didn't take it.

I also think she understands that value of the "will she or won't she" narrative and plans to juice it. It is certainly the kind of storyline that writes itself. Not to mention her seven figure payday which may not stay the same once she leaves Iowa.

Last edited:

David Eickholt says Clark was given the T for saying "damn it". Given the Clark was running away from everyone when she said what earned her the T and her body language certainly suggested she was mad at herself I don't think "dumb bitch" makes much sense.

Are you alleging that's what Clark said to get the T against Northwestern or some other incident?

No, I thought the T the other night was a pretty weak call. She wasn't directing it at anyone else and it wasn't all that bad of a word, all things considered. The refs must have told her multiple times to stay quiet for them to T her up like that, but still was a bad call IMO as it was in frustration with herself.

No, I thought the T the other night was a pretty weak call. She wasn't directing it at anyone else and it wasn't all that bad of a word, all things considered. The refs must have told her multiple times to stay quiet for them to T her up like that, but still was a bad call IMO as it was in frustration with herself.
Or the refs just suck..

It's probably a bit early to dig too deep into Bracketology, but I think it's noteworthy that 5 of Iowa's next 6 games are Quad 1 as of now. The only exception is Iowa's home game against Nebraska, and that's Quad 2. Iowa has a lot of opportunity to add quality wins in the next few weeks.

Reactions: shikreto
It's probably a bit early to dig too deep into Bracketology, but I think it's noteworthy that 5 of Iowa's next 6 games are Quad 1 as of now. The only exception is Iowa's home game against Nebraska, and that's Quad 2. Iowa has a lot of opportunity to add quality wins in the next few weeks.
A 1 or 2 seed is certainly within reach still. We will have to be firing on all cylinders to beat OSU, and I hate to say it but here’s hoping Sheldon needs another week to recover before coming back on the floor. OSU has so many elite athletes tho, it may not even matter who is out there. Thankfully we have been executing well as of late. We need EVERYONE to be contributing in order to space the floor. Marshall will have her work cut out for her guarding Mikesell. God I’ll be glad when we don’t have to play her again.

I like our chances against IU better, but they will be motivated as hell to exact revenge on us. That will be an emotional dog fight of a game.

And of course MSU is a classic trap game. Let’s not let what happened to IU happen to us.

Last edited:
Ohio State is another good example. The Buckeyes are #2 in the nation right now without their best player and with largely the same roster as last year. Iowa won't be favorites against Ohio State on Monday, but no one would be shocked if Iowa beats them
We will have to be firing on all cylinders to beat OSU, and I hate to say it but here’s hoping Sheldon needs another week to recover before coming back on the floor. OSU has so many elite athletes tho, it may not even matter who is out there. Thankfully we have been executing well as of late.

I hope to be shocked tomorrow with an Iowa victory. Bluder is 2-13 at Ohio State, and the victories came against OSU teams that finished with losing records. Caitlin, for her part, is 0-3 against OSU, and the two losses in Iowa City were heartbreakers that both featured late consequential turnovers by her. Hoping she and the Hawks can flip the script tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT