ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

There's a fine line between being aggressive on offense and being reckless, and IMHO I feel Ashley Joens crosses this line way too much...to the detriment of her team's performance. If they kept a stat for number of shots getting blocked by an opponent, she'd be in the Top 5 nationally. No way she's 1st team All-American; she peaked 2 seasons ago. I'd love her on my team but she needs to know when to say when on driving and shooting.

Not sure what AP voters will do with UConn if it loses on Sunday against South Carolina or with LSU after looking shaky at home to an unranked team, but it seems like there's a decent chance next Thursday's game against Indiana is a Top 5 matchup. And if Iowa were to win that, it probably enters the conversation for a #1 seed.

Not sure what AP voters will do with UConn if it loses on Sunday against South Carolina or with LSU after looking shaky at home to an unranked team, but it seems like there's a decent chance next Thursday's game against Indiana is a Top 5 matchup. And if Iowa were to win that, it probably enters the conversation for a #1 seed.
I doubt if much will change in the AP with UConn, SC, LSU. If UConn beats SC, Standford may move back into the #1 spot.
What is interesting is Indiana plays at Purdue Sunday. Was Purdue's win over OSU a fluke or are they for real? Indiana may have another lose when Iowa faces them.

Reactions: mphawk
my two cents on the Maryland game. We cheer for our big plays and criticize our defense when Maryland make’s theirs. It’s the emotion of the moment. Miller and Sellers are loads, big, quick, and talented. Gabbie, Molly, Martin, Warnock and Syd are all good players but at a real disadvantage guarding those two. At the same time, Maryland could not guard Clark, Monica or Stuelke much the same way. One fun moment for me , after a runout by Stuelke for a layup. Brenda calls a timeout, hot about those runouts. It was either the next possession or close to it, Clark to Stuelke for a layup again.

my two cents on the Maryland game. We cheer for our big plays and criticize our defense when Maryland make’s theirs. It’s the emotion of the moment. Miller and Sellers are loads, big, quick, and talented. Gabbie, Molly, Martin, Warnock and Syd are all good players but at a real disadvantage guarding those two. At the same time, Maryland could not guard Clark, Monica or Stuelke much the same way. One fun moment for me , after a runout by Stuelke for a layup. Brenda calls a timeout, hot about those runouts. It was either the next possession or close to it, Clark to Stuelke for a layup again.
It's not the athleticism gap that concerns me. Maryland was always going to get to the basket a lot and score in transition. I'm more concerned that some of Iowa's lapses last night were mental. There were a few times in the first half when no one stopped the ball in transition. That's job #1 for a transition defense.

Maryland also got a few rebounds on free throw misses due to box out failures. That should never happen (absent a funky bounce) with the numbers advantage we have on those plays. In general the rebounding effort was lackluster.

It didn't matter last night because the offense was about as good as it can be, but it will matter in games where the offense isn't firing at 100%. Iowa still beat the #8 team in the national fairly easily last night, but it could've easily been a 20 or 30 point game with better defensive and rebounding focus.

It's not the athleticism gap that concerns me. Maryland was always going to get to the basket a lot and score in transition. I'm more concerned that some of Iowa's lapses last night were mental. There were a few times in the first half when no one stopped the ball in transition. That's job #1 for a transition defense.

Maryland also got a few rebounds on free throw misses due to box out failures. That should never happen (absent a funky bounce) with the numbers advantage we have on those plays. In general the rebounding effort was lackluster.

It didn't matter last night because the offense was about as good as it can be, but it will matter in games where the offense isn't firing at 100%. Iowa still beat the #8 team in the national fairly easily last night, but it could've easily been a 20 or 30 point game with better defensive and rebounding focus.
Bolded: Several times this reminded me of the pic that came out after the IA v NE football game w/ one of our OLineman "blocking air" while the defender ran around him for a sack. It's almost like our girls were coached not to come off their assignment w/ complete disregard for what was actually happening. I remember one in particular i think Clark(?) was at the free throw line and the MD player went to the Iowa-bench side down the lane for a layup. I'm like "what are we doing?" That's 7th grade b-ball defensive lapse that we've seen 20? 30? times this year.......ooof...

Reactions: hawkod
Maybe this is my Iowa bias showing, but Iowa should really be ranked above LSU tomorrow. They went to overtime at home with a not great Georgia team and are now struggling with 6-14 Texas A&M.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Maybe this is my Iowa bias showing, but Iowa should really be ranked above LSU tomorrow. They went to overtime at home with a not great Georgia team and are now struggling with 6-14 Texas A&M.
I think your bias is showing. Next Sunday will tell more where LSU is at, as they play South Carolina.

I think your bias is showing. Next Sunday will tell more where LSU is at, as they play South Carolina.
Before this week, I would've had LSU ahead, but much of our perception of LSU is the eye test with their weak schedule, and they failed the eye test this week. I still can't believe they've played 23 games and not one has been against a ranked team.

Before this week, I would've had LSU ahead, but much of our perception of LSU is the eye test with their weak schedule, and they failed the eye test this week. I still can't believe they've played 23 games and not one has been against a ranked team.
This may be so, but they are undefeated. Unfortunately to many of the voters just look at the win-loss record. Look at Ohio State they were ranked #2 until they played a ranked team. Now they are headed for their 4th straight loss, with one being at home with a unranked Purdue team. Thats why I don't pay a lot of attention with polls.

Maryland took out Ohio State after their beat down by Iowa. I checked Maryland's schedule. I think Ohio State will be in trouble again the next time they play Maryland ;)

I also noticed Indiana will play Ohio State after the Iowa game this Thursday.

So assuming Kate's answer is Yes, she is returning, obviously that affects people behind her, most notably Affolter. The thing you hate about COVID year "super seniors" is the possibility of players behind them transferring, especially young ones. If Warnock stays (I don't think people anticipate that happening) that affects players greatly too, although one could argue Warnock is more needed for next year than Martin due to losing scoring with Czinano departure. Interesting all around.

So assuming Kate's answer is Yes, she is returning, obviously that affects people behind her, most notably Affolter. The thing you hate about COVID year "super seniors" is the possibility of players behind them transferring, especially young ones. If Warnock stays (I don't think people anticipate that happening) that affects players greatly too, although one could argue Warnock is more needed for next year than Martin due to losing scoring with Czinano departure. Interesting all around.
I’m most worried about O’Grady and Edigar leaving. But tbh if they’re never gonna crack the rotation, I can’t blame them and maybe it makes sense for us to try to find players who better fit the system.

I’m not as worried about Affolter leaving since she has cracked the rotation and I think she has reason to believe she will continue to, but she had a lot of offers along the same level as Iowa so she very likely could leave for more playing time at a similar school. For example, did she have an offer from DePaul? A school like that could be enticing.

Tho to be absolutely brutally honest, if we want to make up for Czinano (and Warnock’s departure) + continue to vie for a 1 or 2 seed, letting any of these players transfer *might* be for the best, since we don’t otherwise have any spots to look to the portal for, and our need for elusive “elite athletes” is as strong as ever. To be totally clear I am hopeful everyone stays; but I cant be the only fan thinking about calculus for the coming years...especially if Clark wins NPOY this year.

Last edited:
I’m most worried about O’Grady and Edigar leaving. But tbh if they’re never gonna crack the rotation, I can’t blame them and maybe it makes sense for us to try to find players who better fit the system.

I’m not as worried about Affolter leaving since she has cracked the rotation and I think she has reason to believe she will continue to, but she had a lot of offers along the same level as Iowa so she very likely could leave for more playing time at a similar school. For example, did she have an offer from DePaul? A school like that could be enticing.

Tho to be absolutely brutally honest, if we want to make up for Czinano (and Warnock’s departure) + continue to vie for a 1 or 2 seed, letting any of these players transfer *might* be for the best, since we don’t otherwise have any spots to look to the portal for, and our need for elusive “elite athletes” is as strong as ever. To be totally clear I am hopeful everyone stays; but I cant be the only fan thinking about calculus for the coming years...especially if Clark wins NPOY this year.
Couldn’t agree more. The portal and NIL is not what I and maybe Lisa are totally happy with, but is what it is. OSU, Maryland, and Indiana have shown , the portal is the quickest way to replace loss of talent. Part of how I rate players is flat out effort you see on the court. Both Stuelke and Affolter give effort. If you can’t gain meaningful minutes after 2 years in this era. Either stay for the degree or move on.

In today's college experience for the players there is something to be said of the culture and how happy a player is at the college they picked. I believe Bluder has built a genuine family atmosphere here at Iowa. Case in point keeping the scholarship offer for the gal who got injured, sorry can't remember her name at the moment.

I can see Ediger or O'Grady transferring, although I hope not. I'm sure they both understand the Cziano will be gone and that there will be minutes to be had.

I think Afolter also realizes that next year her playing time will most likely drastically increase.

My prediction for starters next year:

Clark
Martin
Stuelke
Afolter
Possibly O'Grady depending on where Bluder decides to play Stuelke.

I would imagine Feuerbach and Davis are going to get a lot of minutes, and McCabe shooting the ball well is also possible.

I believe Bluder has built a genuine family atmosphere here at Iowa. Case in point keeping the scholarship offer for the gal who got injured, sorry can't remember her name at the moment.
I think you’re right and I believe culture / fit might be the #1 thing keeping Edigar here outside of Ws. I know less about O’Grady but Edigar for sure loves her major (DEI?) and the coaches + what they stand for.

But can I just ask, who the hell really thinks there’s a universe where Bluder (or any other B1G WBB coach) doesn’t honor Ava Jones’ scholarship? I keep reading about it being a class act lol which Bluder always is obviously but c’mon isn’t it more just a basic act of human decency lmao

I would imagine Feuerbach and Davis are going to get a lot of minutes, and McCabe shooting the ball well is also possible.

If Feuerbach’s recovery allows her to play lots of minutes, I can’t see her not starting over Affolter tbh. It’s of course possible that it slows her down for awhile but if she recovers well, I don’t see how she doesn’t find herself in the starting lineup.

In today's college experience for the players there is something to be said of the culture and how happy a player is at the college they picked. I believe Bluder has built a genuine family atmosphere here at Iowa. Case in point keeping the scholarship offer for the gal who got injured, sorry can't remember her name at the moment.

I can see Ediger or O'Grady transferring, although I hope not. I'm sure they both understand the Cziano will be gone and that there will be minutes to be had.

I think Afolter also realizes that next year her playing time will most likely drastically increase.

My prediction for starters next year:

Clark
Martin
Stuelke
Afolter
Possibly O'Grady depending on where Bluder decides to play Stuelke.

I also could see bringing in a one-year transfer at center next year, since Iowa has one of the best post players in the nation coming in the following year. Ava Heiden could be a four-year starter beginning in 2024-25.

Reactions: HIWILLE
In Charlie Creme’s latest bracketology update, he said choosing the final 1 seed between Stanford, LSU, and Iowa might be the toughest call he’s ever made in this job (hyperbole I’m sure but hey).

Stanford gets it by a sliver (lol) but he seems rather adamant that LSU’s weak schedule is likely to be a problem for them. Good to see we’re right back at the top. A W over IU would go a long way in the next iteration, it seems.

I also could see bringing in a one-year transfer at center next year, since Iowa has one of the best post players in the nation coming in the following year. Ava Heiden could be a four-year starter beginning in 2024-25.
Yep, I believe any center transfer would be VERY intrigued by playing with Iowa big time, with Caitlin Clark as a point guard for that possible center, surrounding players and huge fan base, Oh yeah, I think we could Land a VERY GOOD ONE if coach Bluder choose that route. With MC graduating I would be shocked if O’Grady bolted.

Reactions: mphawk
Sometimes juniors and seniors really blossom as they mature and I see that possibility in all of our under class women. I hope they all stay, because Lisa runs her program the way I believe they're supposed to be. I don't want to see AJ or Addie succeeding somewhere else. I don't mind a transfer in every year or so, but when they become like OSU or Maryland or LSU or any other number of teams, that's when I'm done.

Reactions: cyberhawk
In Charlie Creme’s latest bracketology update, he said choosing the final 1 seed between Stanford, LSU, and Iowa might be the toughest call he’s ever made in this job (hyperbole I’m sure but hey).

Stanford gets it by a sliver (lol) but he seems rather adamant that LSU’s weak schedule is likely to be a problem for them. Good to see we’re right back at the top. A W over IU would go a long way in the next iteration, it seems.
Analyzing bracketology is fun right now, but it will all likely sort itself out. South Carolina is virtually a lock for a 1 seed. UConn is too unless it gets upset (probably multiple times) before the end of the year.

LSU will likely play South Carolina twice before the NCAA Tournament. If LSU doesn't win one of those games or keep one/both extremely close, I can't see them getting a 1 seed.

Whoever looks best between Iowa and Indiana will likely get a 1.

The last 1 seed will probably go to Stanford or Utah unless both lose multiple times before season end. Then another Big Ten team could slide in.

Stanford gets it by a sliver (lol) but he seems rather adamant that LSU’s weak schedule is likely to be a problem for them.
Will be interesting to see if the Committee has similar skepticism toward LSU, or if the Committee will mimic the skepticism that the coaches poll voters have toward the Big 10, with the coaches both placing IU and Iowa 1 spot lower than in the AP poll. In the coaches poll, LSU is a clear # 2, 46 points behind South Carolina, and 50 points ahead of IU. The coaches likewise have Stanford solidly ahead of Iowa for the 5 spot (by 21 points), with Iowa 29 points ahead of Utah.

Does anyone else really hope we have to face Stanford over SC/UConn?
South Carolina is the clear best team. To me UConn with Fudd is #2. Without Fudd they're still very good, but I think we can beat them.

From there, I think it's a crapshoot. Stanford and LSU could dominate us on the boards, but I think we can beat either of them. We'll see how we matchup with Indiana, but I doubt we end up in the same region.

I don't know much about Utah. At a glance, they look fairly similar to us (offense over defense, not great at generating steals or offensive rebounds). We usually matchup fairly well against teams that look like us.

If I had to pick an Elite 8 opponent (if we got that far and assuming no upsets) it would be LSU or Utah.

Reactions: Lostgirl57
South Carolina is the clear best team. To me UConn with Fudd is #2. Without Fudd they're still very good, but I think we can beat them.

From there, I think it's a crapshoot. Stanford and LSU could dominate us on the boards, but I think we can beat either of them. We'll see how we matchup with Indiana, but I doubt we end up in the same region.

I don't know much about Utah. At a glance, they look fairly similar to us (offense over defense, not great at generating steals or offensive rebounds). We usually matchup fairly well against teams that look like us.

If I had to pick an Elite 8 opponent (if we got that far and assuming no upsets) it would be LSU or Utah.
An ideal (or even only?) path to a deep tourney run might be something like Oklahoma/Iowa State in the Sweet 16, then Utah in the Elite 8, Stanford in Final 4.

I shudder at the thought of Angel Reese and LSU tbh.

Last edited:
no one in the Big so far has been able to defend the law firm. If the really good bigs can guard Monica or get her in foul trouble , could well be our exit.

Reactions: shikreto
Coach Bluder will still remember in 2001, her first year here, #4 seed Iowa was unable to host the opening rounds (due to the NCAA wrestling championship I think), and had to travel to #5 Utah. Iowa lost to them in the second round. It would be another 14 years before she finally took Iowa to the Sweet Sixteen.

Reactions: undersized_post
An ideal (or even only?) path to a deep tourney run might be something like Oklahoma/Iowa State in the Sweet 16, then Utah in the Elite 8, Stanford in Final 4.

I shudder at the thought of Angel Reese and LSU tbh.
For those who haven't seen it before, below is a link to LSU's schedule that shows the NET ranking of all of their opponents. I didn't fully comprehend how bad their schedule was until I viewed it in this context.

The best team they played in the entire month of November had an NET ranking of 169. 5 of their opponents had a ranking of 285 or higher.

For more context, Nebraska (39th in NET) would the 4th best team LSU has played thus far. Nebraska is the 8th best team Iowa has played thus far, and they'll be 9th after Thursday. Purdue (41st) and Michigan State (49th) also aren't that far behind Nebraska.

I pick LSU from that group because they're easily the least proven team in the nation. Maybe they really are a 1 or 2 seed in true talent. But it's also possible they're a 4th or 5th seed in talent propped up by their undefeated record.

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketballw/2023/schedule/LSU

For those who haven't seen it before, below is a link to LSU's schedule that shows the NET ranking of all of their opponents. I didn't fully comprehend how bad their schedule was until I viewed it in this context.

The best team they played in the entire month of November had an NET ranking of 169. 5 of their opponents had a ranking of 285 or higher.

For more context, Nebraska (39th in NET) would the 4th best team LSU has played thus far. Nebraska is the 8th best team Iowa has played thus far, and they'll be 9th after Thursday. Purdue (41st) and Michigan State (49th) also aren't that far behind Nebraska.

I pick LSU from that group because they're easily the least proven team in the nation. Maybe they really are a 1 or 2 seed in true talent. But it's also possible they're a 4th or 5th seed in talent propped up by their undefeated record.

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketballw/2023/schedule/LSU
Totally spot on but I still don’t wanna play Angel Reese ever again.

Maybe they really are a 1 or 2 seed in true talent. But it's also possible they're a 4th or 5th seed in talent propped up by their undefeated record.
Good analysis of LSU’s weak schedule. Advanced metrics, which try to adjust for strength of schedule, also really like LSU. Their Her Hoop Stats (HHS) offensive rating, which is an estimate of the offensive efficiency (points scored per 100 possessions) they would have against the average D-I defense, places them 6th in the country (Iowa is 3rd). Their similar HHS defensive rating places them 4th in the country (Iowa is improved but considerably lower). Their net HHS rating places them 4th in the country (Iowa is 7th).

ADVERTISEMENT