ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

woke up early and saw the Kentucky game is on so i decided to tune it. Am I missing something with the way Tamika Catchings talks?

BTW HTF does someone leading the country in PPG, Assist and 3pt not be one of the best 15 players in the country?
Catchings is hard of hearing.

They would probably say Clark has too many TOs and her defense is suspect (especially at the beginning of the year) -- fair. Not fair -- she plays for a team that finished sixth in their conference. And her numbers are a reflection of what she's asked to do for her team vs other players in the Top 15.

woke up early and saw the Kentucky game is on so i decided to tune it. Am I missing something with the way Tamika Catchings talks?

BTW HTF does someone leading the country in PPG, Assist and 3pt not be one of the best 15 players in the country?
Isn’t she a 2nd Team All-American?

The SEC is overrated. Tennessee losing to Mich. I predict there will be other teams dropping as well. SC and GA are legit but the rest are posers. BIG is the best conference for WBB this year and the tourney will show that.

Bama gone tomorrow. Likely aTm too

Preface: Iowa is still a huge underdog against UConn and the most likely result is still a double-digit loss.

That said, the events of the last couple days might signal that UConn isn't necessarily the juggernaut we usually expect to see. First, it played a weak conference schedule. Marquette (a 10 seed) was the only other Big East team to make the NCAA Tournament, and it lost in the first round. In the non-conference, its only notable games were against South Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas (its only loss), and each of those was fairly close. Arkansas got upset in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, and Michigan destroyed Tennessee in the second round. South Carolina is the only opponent UConn faced that made the Sweet 16.

When Iowa lost to Maryland both times by 20 I just thought that was how this team would play against an NCAA Tournament 2 seed. I figured a game against UConn might be worse. But Maryland has absolutely steamrolled its competition so far, while other top teams (NC State, Louisville, and Texas A&M) have struggled. Maryland is playing like one of the best teams in the country right now, and both Indiana and Michigan also made the Sweet 16.

Maryland is also a terrible matchup for this Iowa team. The Terps play just as fast as Iowa does, play a high pressure defense meant to force turnovers, and their wings shoot the three incredibly well. Iowa has struggled this year with turnover-focused defenses, doesn't defend the three well, and usually uses pace to its advantage (which it can't against Maryland).

Outside of Bueckers, UConn doesn't actually shoot the three that well. Every other player is under 35%. UConn also prefers a slower pace--the highest scoring game it has played was the one it lost to Arkansas. And the Huskies don't press like Maryland does.

The one way Maryland and UConn are similar is that UConn also has taller, more athletic players that rebound well. That killed Iowa against Maryland, and could well kill Iowa again in this game.

If Iowa is going to keep this one close, Clark will have to play one of her best games. Czinano will have to score against bigger defenders. And Iowa will have to have a great shooting night. Defensively, Iowa will have to force UConn into a bunch of jump shots, and hope that 1) those shots don't fall at a high rate, and 2) that the players can grab enough rebounds to get stops. All of those things happening in combination is fairly unlikely, but the chances are better than I thought they were a couple days ago. This UConn team isn't unbeatable.

Preface: Iowa is still a huge underdog against UConn and the most likely result is still a double-digit loss.

That said, the events of the last couple days might signal that UConn isn't necessarily the juggernaut we usually expect to see. First, it played a weak conference schedule. Marquette (a 10 seed) was the only other Big East team to make the NCAA Tournament, and it lost in the first round. In the non-conference, its only notable games were against South Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas (its only loss), and each of those was fairly close. Arkansas got upset in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, and Michigan destroyed Tennessee in the second round. South Carolina is the only opponent UConn faced that made the Sweet 16.

When Iowa lost to Maryland both times by 20 I just thought that was how this team would play against an NCAA Tournament 2 seed. I figured a game against UConn might be worse. But Maryland has absolutely steamrolled its competition so far, while other top teams (NC State, Louisville, and Texas A&M) have struggled. Maryland is playing like one of the best teams in the country right now, and both Indiana and Michigan also made the Sweet 16.

Maryland is also a terrible matchup for this Iowa team. The Terps play just as fast as Iowa does, play a high pressure defense meant to force turnovers, and their wings shoot the three incredibly well. Iowa has struggled this year with turnover-focused defenses, doesn't defend the three well, and usually uses pace to its advantage (which it can't against Maryland).

Outside of Bueckers, UConn doesn't actually shoot the three that well. Every other player is under 35%. UConn also prefers a slower pace--the highest scoring game it has played was the one it lost to Arkansas. And the Huskies don't press like Maryland does.

The one way Maryland and UConn are similar is that UConn also has taller, more athletic players that rebound well. That killed Iowa against Maryland, and could well kill Iowa again in this game.

If Iowa is going to keep this one close, Clark will have to play one of her best games. Czinano will have to score against bigger defenders. And Iowa will have to have a great shooting night. Defensively, Iowa will have to force UConn into a bunch of jump shots, and hope that 1) those shots don't fall at a high rate, and 2) that the players can grab enough rebounds to get stops. All of those things happening in combination is fairly unlikely, but the chances are better than I thought they were a couple days ago. This UConn team isn't unbeatable.
I think even if we lose we will compete. Iowa has played a very tough schedule and UConn plays in a weak conference. Uconn has all the talent but this Iowa team has the fight.

We will need our shots to fall and need to crash the boards hard and really take care of the ball.

It's a game that we have to keep in single digits but I think there is a path if a lot of things come together.

It would be a shock to the BB world if it happens.

I think Baylor will be the FF team for the region but it would be great to upset UConn even if Baylor were to destroy us..

I think Baylor would beat UConn by double digits. They haven't been in a FF in a few seasons now.

Rebecca Lobo said if recent history is any indication Geno will have UCONN shut down everyone else except Caitlin and make her try to do it all herself. I think most teams lose the game the second they see UCONN on the jersey, Caitlin won't be intimidated so hopefully her teammates follow her lead and go for broke.

I think even if we lose we will compete. Iowa has played a very tough schedule and UConn plays in a weak conference. Uconn has all the talent but this Iowa team has the fight.

We will need our shots to fall and need to crash the boards hard and really take care of the ball.

It's a game that we have to keep in single digits but I think there is a path if a lot of things come together.

It would be a shock to the BB world if it happens.

I think Baylor will be the FF team for the region but it would be great to upset UConn even if Baylor were to destroy us..

I think Baylor would beat UConn by double digits. They haven't been in a FF in a few seasons now.
If we somehow pull off the miracle of beating the mighty UConn that would be the best win in Iowa Women's Basketball program history.

For the critics, as Braydon wrote getting to the sweet 16 is hard. Indiana and Michigan are going for the 1st time. Both are in areas that produce more prep talent than Iowa.

This is correct. Making the Sweet 16 in either the men's or women's tournaments is a great acocmplishment.

If we somehow pull off the miracle of beating the mighty UConn that would be the best win in Iowa Women's Basketball program history.
Make it even better by beating Baylor next. Or maybe Michigan can beat Baylor. Imagine that happening, Iowa over UConn and Michigan over Baylor! Obviously I don't like the chances.

Do any of the great Women's basketball posters know what happened to Michigan All-American looker Amy Dilk? She was noticeably absent from their first two tournament games.

Do any of the great Women's basketball posters know what happened to Michigan All-American looker Amy Dilk? She was noticeably absent from their first two tournament games.
All I read she didn't travel to San Antonio due to a "Medical Issue" and no further information would be forthcoming from the school.

Reactions: hagarwood
All I read she didn't travel to San Antonio due to a "Medical Issue" and no further information would be forthcoming from the school.
She was not the same player all year as she was last year. Second team all-Big Ten then to not even honorable mention this year. Maybe it was a lingering issue.

Alright, what's everyone's score predictions for tomorrow? Mine is 90-60 UCONN.
Bluder has lost 4 times in the tourney to a # 1 seed, with half-time deficits of 14 (UCONN '02), 27 (Stanford '10), 12 (ND '13) and 14 (Baylor '19), and with final score deficits of 38, 29, 17 and 32. Average margin of defeat has been 29. So your prediction of 90-60 is pretty spot on, from a historical perspective. With the current team being perhaps Bluder's worst defensive team (though it has been better lately), 90-60 is a reasonable margin. Still, Iowa can score, so I will go with 97-74 UCONN. Would be good if it was a single digit game at half-time.

Last edited:
Alright, what's everyone's score predictions for tomorrow? Mine is 90-60 UCONN.
85-79 Uconn. Uconn wins but Clark will keep it close. No way Iowa loses by 30 or is held to 60. We dropped 90 on MD and not even NW held us to 60. Clark with 23 7 and 7. Uconn not a perimeter team but they will control the paint. Cook and Wettering need 5 minutes each to protect Czinano and Goodman

I could see this being much like the Maryland game if UConn decides to get out and run--UConn leads consistently by 10-20 points with Iowa never being fully out of it, but also not close enough to make the result feel in question. I'll go 94-77 UConn.

I really do not give Iowa much of a chance given the complimentary players to Clark versus UConn the complimentary players to Bueckers. I am just hoping Iowa plays decent and Clark has a very good game to keep it relatively close/entertaining. This could be a major positive for Iowa recruiting in the future IMO.

Reactions: brfhilltop
Hopefully Warnock and Marshall carry the momentum over to the next season. They both played very well against UConn and should have full confidence. Czinano played fine too. Martin was a little jittery late in the game and had the ball slip out of her hands twice, but overall it didn't feel any Iowa player was completely outmatched. Iowa actually had its chances in the fourth quarter, but UConn was just a little better in most aspects and Iowa played far from a perfect game.

Michigan took Baylor to over time and had the lead late. Baylor had been beating the other teams in the tournament by 40+ points. Maybe the Big Ten is really good this season. Maryland can definitely win it all.

overall it didn't feel any Iowa player was completely outmatched. Iowa actually had its chances in the fourth quarter, but UConn was just a little better in most aspects
This strikes me as too kind. I thought the Iowa starters competed hard today. They improved greatly as the season went on in terms of grit and toughness. Though she didn’t show it today, Taiwo also made big strides in the tournament. But in terms of athleticism and the ability to play defense, rebound or drive the ball somewhere good, saying Iowa’s players weren’t completely overmatched is, at best, damning with feint praise.

UConn shot above its season averages from the floor and 3, and out rebounded Iowa by 17. The athleticism deficits with the current roster were on full display today. Unless partially cured by the ‘21 recruits, those deficits will continue to be a big challenge next season.

Reactions: littlez
Hopefully Warnock and Marshall carry the momentum over to the next season. They both played very well against UConn and should have full confidence. Czinano played fine too. Martin was a little jittery late in the game and had the ball slip out of her hands twice, but overall it didn't feel any Iowa player was completely outmatched. Iowa actually had its chances in the fourth quarter, but UConn was just a little better in most aspects and Iowa played far from a perfect game.

Michigan took Baylor to over time and had the lead late. Baylor had been beating the other teams in the tournament by 40+ points. Maybe the Big Ten is really good this season. Maryland can definitely win it all.

Warnock & Marshall are both going to be very important if Iowa hopes to make improvement. Both have major flaws in their game on the defensive side and both are limited to on offense as well. Both are elite 3pt shooters, but it's tough to have both on the court togther when they are so one dementional. This season their really wasn't a better option and because they shoot it so well, it worked well enough to get to Sweet 16.

The good news is that they are just finishing up their soph year and should be able to have summer workouts to develop their game (something they didn't really have this past summer). It will be fun to see what happens, and I look forward to being back in Carver next season to witness.

This strikes me as too kind. I thought the Iowa starters competed hard today. They improved greatly as the season went on in terms of grit and toughness. Though she didn’t show it today, Taiwo also made big strides in the tournament. But in terms of athleticism and the ability to play defense, rebound or drive the ball somewhere good, saying Iowa’s players weren’t completely overmatched is, at best, damning with feint praise.

UConn shot above its season averages from the floor and 3, and out rebounded Iowa by 17. The athleticism deficits with the current roster were on full display today. Unless partially cured by the ‘21 recruits, those deficits will continue to be a big challenge next season.
Warnock and Marshall both scored over their season average against UConn. Did UConn just let them score? I will call that not being overmatched.

Iowa lost to the #1 team in the country by 20 points. We trailed by 11 POINTS heading into the final 10 minutes of the game.

To beat elite teams and NOT LOSE BY 20 POINTS, you have to :

1. Rebound. Iowa was MINUS 17 (42 UConn-25 Iowa)

2. Minimize 2nd chance points (Iowa gave up 14 second chance pts)

3. Minimize turnovers (15 Iowa Turnovers LED TO 25 UConn POINTS)

4.Not be DEAD LAST IN THE NATION in PPG ALLOWED. Iowa gave up 92 points. Their so called high power offense was simply not even close to enough, only mustering up 72 points..

The Ugly Stats are Here:

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhawk56
Iowa lost to the #1 team in the country by 20.

To beat elite teams, you have to:

1. Rebound. Iowa was MINUS 17 (42 UConn-25 Iowa)

2. Minimize 2nd chance points (Iowa gave up 14 second chance pts)

3. Minimize turnovers (15 Turnovers for Iowa LED TO 25 UConn POINTS)

4.Not be DEAD LAST IN THE NATION in PPG ALLOWED. Iowa gave up 92 today.

The Stats:

They have a couple 6’5” girls s and cherry pick athletes from across the country

They have a couple 6’5” girls s and cherry pick athletes from across the country
Don’t even understand comments like this. Why can Iowa not recruit on a national basis? We are 2 years removed from an elite 8, correct? We have a top 5 Freshman in the country, arguably a top 5 player in the country, why can we not surround her with 2-3 other star players?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT