ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

A lot went wrong today, but the easiest by far to control is effort on the defensive end. For a second straight game it looked like most the players just didn't want to compete on defense until they were down big in the second half. When the players actually commit to hustling defensively, the defense is alright. Not great, but passable. But in the first half of the last two games, it's just been atrocious.

A lot went wrong today, but the easiest by far to control is effort on the defensive end. For a second straight game it looked like most the players just didn't want to compete on defense until they were down big in the second half. When the players actually commit to hustling defensively, the defense is alright. Not great, but passable. But in the first half of the last two games, it's just been atrocious.

This is spot on Braydon. What is so frustrating is they have proven they can play good defense, look at Drake & Iowa State in Q4 of each game. If Bluder doesn't get this trend fixed fast, the next game at Ohio State is going to be a real eye opener for this young team.

yep

Three weeks in and I really don't know what to expect from this team. Three quarters against Iowa State and a full half against MSU makes you wonder about the possible down side... then, the balance of those games suggest some very good results! Team is so young, but Clark can be the best player on the court in any game to be played. We have gotten accustom to success as fans. My guess is we will find some disappointments- like yesterday. However, the future looks bright. How soon is the issue. Solid "b"" so far.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I think Iowa will finish the Big season with a record of somewhere between 13-7, and 15-5, if they play all the games scheduled, which is not bad. I just hope they can stay within 20 points Saturday at Ohio State. Hopefully thinks will start to click by the Big Ten Tourney, if there is one. Maybe by then things will slow down for Sharon and Clark will learn when to attack the basket or set up and run the offence. The bench is going to need to score more than the 6 points that they scored at MSU.

Clark is the ESPNW Player of the Week.

Weekly superlatives

Player of the week: Caitlin Clark, Iowa

The freshman guard had a big week, including a win over an in-state rival (more on that below). Clark had 34 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists in beating Iowa State, and then she had 35 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists in a loss to Michigan State.

Just Dandy! The Big just scheduled the womans game at Ohio State on Saturday the same time as the mens 11 a.m. Guess I will have the mens game on tv and womens on computer and try to watch both games at once.

Coach Bluder & Jensen both appeared on Hawk Talk tonight. Here is the YouTube link...

Just Dandy! The Big just scheduled the womans game at Ohio State on Saturday the same time as the mens 11 a.m. Guess I will have the mens game on tv and womens on computer and try to watch both games at once.
And same time as OSU and NW.

They are struggling rebounding and turning the ball over. Hopefully everyone figures out their roles. The good thing offensively they are clicking.

Kathleen Doyle is leaving her team in Poland. Hoping my link is to a site in English. If not, you can figure it out when you get there.

Kathleen Doyle is leaving her team in Poland. Hoping my link is to a site in English. If not, you can figure it out when you get there.
It says it's for her own personal reasons. I wonder why?

It says it's for her own personal reasons. I wonder why?
No idea. But, first she was in the WNBA bubble, and then her team over there has had some games canceled due to the virus. At some point, it might not be all that fun.

No idea. But, first she was in the WNBA bubble, and then her team over there has had some games canceled due to the virus. At some point, it might not be all that fun.

Could also be a culture shock to live that far away. I thought having Megan would help.

KeDK05JCOJ6y41nIjQymN5LHD-SYHCFvnVGPenD9ukI.jpg

Btn plus having problems Iowa 41 wiu 29 at half sloppy game. Subs getting a lot of minutes

Second half was much better. Clark had a grinder day shooting. But made some big passes for good shots and a good rebounding day.

Cook played 20+ minutes and almost had a double double. 12 points 9 rebounds. Her game is the closest to what we lost in Amanda. I know Logan and Amanda put in tons of time together in the practice gym similar to Megan and Monica. Cook is a legit post presence and if she plays within herself and under control she can have a big impact on the success of the team this year.

Cook played 20+ minutes and almost had a double double. 12 points 9 rebounds. Her game is the closest to what we lost in Amanda. I know Logan and Amanda put in tons of time together in the practice gym similar to Megan and Monica. Cook is a legit post presence and if she plays within herself and under control she can have a big impact on the success of the team this year.
agree, she is starting to have confidence in her ability.

Reactions: brfhilltop
Things started to click for Sharon G. in the 3rd period. Hope she can continue to build off of it.

Sharon keeps getting more comfortable game by game which is encouraging to see. Hopefully it will start to translate over to BIG games from the level of competition Western Illinois brought. Her size & rebounding will be much needed, as will McKenna Warnock returning to the lineup.

Here's my recap of the Illinois blowout. It was good to finally see a game that was over in the first quarter. Also good to get the backups more game experience.

Kate Martin has been really good in the last couple games. Bringing energy on both ends. Attacking the glass. And scoring when she has the opportunity. That's exactly what Iowa needs when they start playing the better teams in the conference.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-womens-basketball/2021/01/5106/iowa-107-illinois-68

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT