ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

Featured article on McKenna...

TBT to 10/18/17 - A previously posted feature article on McKenna from her prep career...

I remember thinking that McKenna might actually be a better fit for Iowa than Brea Beal.

Last edited:
Iowa is missing last year’s seniors more on the defensive end than offensive — Doyle, Meyer and Ollinger. This young bunch has a lot to learn but they will get better.

As great as Doyle and Meyer are, I think losing Ollinger really hurt the most last night vs Drake. It's the little things, particular the spacing on offense/defense and setting and reacting to screens that she did so well. Without Ollinger, Drake was able to drive in the lane almost at will and Czinano was smothered by defenders when posting up. Several times she saw three players collapse on her the moment she rec'd the ball or had passes intended for her in the post intercepted.

Some of this might be Iowa's line-up. Both Martin and Warnock are natuarlly SF. Warnock is a mismatch at the 3 but struggled in the 4 position until the fourth quarter when Drake was overplaying Clark. Iowa did get more creative by having Czinano faint the screen for Clark then break off the screen for the pass to the high post.

Cook is most effective playing the 4 position but she doesn't have the shooting range that Warnock/Martin have. Martin has the size to be a stretch 4 but she might need to add strength to truly be effective and she needs to focus on playing in the paint, particularly on the defensive side of things.

I think Iowa would be most effective with Cook starting. Cook is excellent in the low post and one of the best post defenders on the team. I haven't seen the same defensive focus/intensity from Warnock or Martin at this point. If Martin/Warnock can't up that intensity, it can't hurt to give Cook a shot and see what she can do. Coach Rena and Bluder both praised her effort last night and Bluder commented that Cook's efficiency was +12 for the 8 minutes she played last night.

PG Clark
SG Marshall
SF Warnock
PF Cook
C Czinano

The advantage also is that Martin can play 1-4 and would be able to sub all four positions. It would give Iowa more flexibility on offense and with their rotation. I'd also like to see CZinano and Goodman on the floor for at least one minute per quarter. I think Iowa could create tons of mismatches similar to when we had Megan and Hannah. I really enjoyed Iowa's teams playing the triangle and 2 as opposed to Bluder's other offenses. Plus I think given the loss of Doyle/Meyer this team is forward heavy and the triangle and two gives us the best chance to win.

I read where someone said she was terrible, at least early in the game last night. Always someone jumps the gun.

I read where someone said she was terrible, at least early in the game last night. Always someone jumps the gun.

I think it's been hard to evaluate Cook given the limited minutes she played. {eople assume she is terrible based on past play. But she is clearly much improved from last season and when she was in I noticed an instant improvement in post defense. She uses her length well and was glued to the player she was guarding. She also had a few scores in the post but she did miss a free throw. Cook can at times be overly aggressive but when she's patient, she is very effective. I think the flow of the offense and in particular the defense was much better when she was in the game. She uses her length well and sets nice screens and reacts quickly to screens on defense. Drake was driving in the paint a lot last night and Cook shut the paint down by staying in front of the drive and using her length to misdirect players which led to more contested shots. She also is active on the glass and doesn't allow herself to get blocked out. Whereas in the past she would lose focus and be out of position, last night she was really dialed in. I think her experience and maturity playing the post are her best assets.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Gabe is a lot higher on Cook than I am. She played well last night, and held her own on defense, but she also played less than 9 minutes compared to Warnock's nearly 31. I'm sure I could go find 4-5 minute stretches where Warnock didn't allow a basket defensively.

I also don't think Warnock is much of a fit at the 3 on this team. At least not if Bluder is committed to playing man defense this year. Warnock's defensive effectiveness goes down the further she gets from the basket. I really don't want to see her chasing a guard around for any significant length of time. A 2-3 zone would mitigate that somewhat, but Iowa hasn't played much of it so far. I also don't think we've seen Warnock handle bringing the ball up court so far in college, and Iowa's 3s need to be able to do that at least some of the time.

Iowa does have a problem at the 3, though. Neither Martin nor Taiwo have added a whole lot so far. That's somewhat understandable on offense, because Clark, Warnock, and Czinano are going to take most of the team's shots. But if they're not contributing a lot on offense, we need to see more defensively or on the glass.

Reactions: jockos and mphawk
Gabe is a lot higher on Cook than I am. She played well last night, and held her own on defense, but she also played less than 9 minutes compared to Warnock's nearly 31. I'm sure I could go find 4-5 minute stretches where Warnock didn't allow a basket defensively.

I also don't think Warnock is much of a fit at the 3 on this team. At least not if Bluder is committed to playing man defense this year. Warnock's defensive effectiveness goes down the further she gets from the basket. I really don't want to see her chasing a guard around for any significant length of time. A 2-3 zone would mitigate that somewhat, but Iowa hasn't played much of it so far. I also don't think we've seen Warnock handle bringing the ball up court so far in college, and Iowa's 3s need to be able to do that at least some of the time.

Iowa does have a problem at the 3, though. Neither Martin nor Taiwo have added a whole lot so far. That's somewhat understandable on offense, because Clark, Warnock, and Czinano are going to take most of the team's shots. But if they're not contributing a lot on offense, we need to see more defensively or on the glass.

I'm not sure how you can say Warnock is not a fit at the three when she played SF the 2nd half of the season last year . Warnock rotated between the 3 and four all season and started at the three with Olinger in and slid to the four when Olinger was out of the game. Warnock does not need to be a primary ball handler, but I disagree that she can't be effective. We know she can pass and drive based on last year. I haven't seen enough of Warnock defensively to really judge her ability to guard in man defense. I'd have to go back and watch the tape closer to assess. I base my assessments more on the flow of the game and how the team is playing and also if I notice players standing out within that flow. Last night, Cook's defense stood out and I think she deserves more minutes based on her effectiveness thus far.

I agree that Martin/Taiwo have not been effective at the three. Although I think I Taiwo looked better at the three defensively last night. Kate does not seem to be playing with confidence at the moment. She plays out of control and I wonder if some of that is a confidence issue with the knee. She did lose her footing with one of the two charges she had last night (the other I though was a bad call as I don't believe the defender had her feet set on the charge) . I also worry about Martin's focus, and again I think she is lacks confidence and is overthinking instead of reacting. I know she has talent and isn't close to tapping her potential. I want so bad to see the light bulb go on for her. But until it does, Bluder needs to think about shuffling up the lineup and spreading the minutes around.

You're absolutely right that Iowa is going to score a lot this year with Clark, Warnock and Czinano but once the Big season rolls around, we're going to lose games if we can't defend. I'm not a fan of Iowa's zone, but I'd take it over that miserable performance last night. If I'm Bluder, I'd start thinking about adopting a 1-2-2 zone press as both Gabby and Clark have quick hands and good reach to create turnovers. And Iowa needs to work on limiting turnovers. I know Bluder likes to play quick, but with such a young team the pace really needs to slow down. The offense will only carry them so far. Last night, Iowa proved it can play defense in the fourth quarter but I want to see that same intensity throughout all four quarters.

I'm not sure how you can say Warnock is not a fit at the three when she played SF the 2nd half of the season last year . Warnock rotated between the 3 and four all season and started at the three with Olinger in and slid to the four when Olinger was out of the game. Warnock does not need to be a primary ball handler, but I disagree that she can't be effective. We know she can pass and drive based on last year. I haven't seen enough of Warnock defensively to really judge her ability to guard in man defense. I'd have to go back and watch the tape closer to assess. I base my assessments more on the flow of the game and how the team is playing and also if I notice players standing out within that flow. Last night, Cook's defense stood out and I think she deserves more minutes based on her effectiveness thus far.

I agree that Martin/Taiwo have not been effective at the three. Although I think I Taiwo looked better at the three defensively last night. Kate does not seem to be playing with confidence at the moment. She plays out of control and I wonder if some of that is a confidence issue with the knee. She did lose her footing with one of the two charges she had last night (the other I though was a bad call as I don't believe the defender had her feet set on the charge) . I also worry about Martin's focus, and again I think she is lacks confidence and is overthinking instead of reacting. I know she has talent and isn't close to tapping her potential. I want so bad to see the light bulb go on for her. But until it does, Bluder needs to think about shuffling up the lineup and spreading the minutes around.

You're absolutely right that Iowa is going to score a lot this year with Clark, Warnock and Czinano but once the Big season rolls around, we're going to lose games if we can't defend. I'm not a fan of Iowa's zone, but I'd take it over that miserable performance last night. If I'm Bluder, I'd start thinking about adopting a 1-2-2 zone press as both Gabby and Clark have quick hands and good reach to create turnovers. And Iowa needs to work on limiting turnovers. I know Bluder likes to play quick, but with such a young team the pace really needs to slow down. The offense will only carry them so far. Last night, Iowa proved it can play defense in the fourth quarter but I want to see that same intensity throughout all four quarters.

I don't think Warnock ever played the 3 last year. Meyer was the team's primary 3 for the entire season. Doyle was the 1, and Sevillian/Marshall were the 2. Warnock either subbed on for Ollinger and played the 4, or played 4 when Ollinger shifted to the 5 to spell Monika.

Warnock could theoretically play the 3 in a 2-3 zone because her defensive responsibility wouldn't be any different at the 3 or 4. Warnock at the 3 isn't as difficult to do on offense. I just don't think man would be an option with her at the 3. At least not an effective option. I agree on wanting to see Goodman and Monika on the floor together at some point.

Honestly I have no idea why we aren't playing more 2-3 zone. It was the team's best defense last year. It helps Monika a lot because she can just focus on defending the paint and isn't drawn out the the perimeter. It would also allow Clark and Marshall to gamble a little more in passing lanes knowing they have help behind them if they miss. Maybe Bluder is just saving that for conference play?

I agree with much of what Braydon wrote. McKenna isn't the best option at the 3 in Iowa's system as it is right now at least. She hasn't been asked to advance the ball yet, but she is good off the dribble as you may recall the Michigan St. game last year in the 4th quarter she basically won the game with her drives. McKenna also has only played the 4 since arriving at Iowa, she backed up Ollinger when she slid over to spell Czinano in the post. Makenzie Meyer had started the last several seasons at the 3 guard.

I don't think anyone's defense stood out in the Drake game last night, especially in the first half. Caitlin came to play the entire game, Tomi was aggressive, & Gabbie obviously stepped it up in the second half. Drake basically got whatever they wanted inside until late in the game, not Monika, McKenna, or Logan did much to contest anything. The 2-3 zone should be Iowa's main defense with this team, the guards will pick up full court some but they won't become a pressing team - I think its clear they need to focus on their base defense. They played the man against Drake to limit their 3 point shooting, but it failed. Lisa needs to find an answer at the 3 this season, so far it isn't Kate Martin. Maybe Taiwo based on her minutes at Drake?

In regards to Logan, she probably played her best game as a Hawkeye last night. I liked how she competed & ran the court which gives hope for what will likely be a unique season. She does some things well, but nothing stands out about her game unlike Warnock who is more complete offensively & rebounds better. The coaches may be partly to blame as they kept moving her between the 3-4 her first year hurting her development. This is her year to be a contributor & earn minutes, next year an outstanding PF (AJ Ediger) is arriving on campus & another good post adding to the front court depth.

Last edited:
Angel Reese the other super frosh from Maryland broke a bone in her foot. Looks to be out 3 months, shared freshman of the week with Clark first week

Will Clark be matched up against Joens when the Hawks play ISU? How do their games compare? TIA

Ashley Joens is far too strong and scores a ton in close to the basket. Caitlin will most likely never be known as a defensive stopper during her career at Iowa and she will not be guarding Ashley. Iowa will play a ton of zone and hopefully have extra eyes on Joens. She had no problem scoring against a top 5 South Carolina team yesterday. You have to limit her touches, try not to foul her as she scores an insane amount from the line, and make the 3 ISU freshman wing players uncomfortable.

I would look for Caitlin to have another big game as I'm guessing she has had this game circled on her calendar since she decided to play for the Hawks. She is a scoring machine!

I don't believe Joens plays the point, but is their best player. Coach's often don't want key players to go head to head. Guarding great players takes a lot of energy and leads to foul trouble

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL / DECEMBER 7, 2020
FROM WALK-ON TO CAPTAIN
by DARREN MILLER

“The fact my teammates look at me as someone who is a captain and leader for this team is awesome and incredible,” Sanders said.

I will be happy with a close game tomorrow. ISU is very good.

Hawks getting some recognition though. They appear in this week's ESPN bracket.
Not much room to spare however!

Last Team In

Joens is excellent but the team is over rated as 3 or 4 freshman start, none of which are in the same league as Clark. With that said it should be a good game.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Deja Vu again for Ashley Joens. Two years ago she missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer to tie the game. This time, her attempt under the basket again missed the target, well defended by Kate Martin.

Does anyone know if you have to watch them live on BTN+? Or does it have a link to a replay later? I don't see such a thing for other previous games.

You need to go to "Full Schedule," and then make sure to use a date range that includes the game you want. I assume that you could watch the MSU game tonight if that is what you are going for, but not sure.

Reactions: mphawk
Does anyone know if you have to watch them live on BTN+? Or does it have a link to a replay later? I don't see such a thing for other previous games.
mphawk if your not watching this game you might want to check the score before watching. It's worse than the Ia State game. Iowa down 16 at half. Czinano is terrible and there is a big drop off to Goodman. Meyer has got several minutes in the second quarter, Hope Clark starts hitting shots in the second half.

mphawk if your not watching this game you might want to check the score before watching. It's worse than the Ia State game. Iowa down 16 at half. Czinano is terrible and there is a big drop off to Goodman. Meyer has got several minutes in the second quarter, Hope Clark starts hitting shots in the second half.
13 turnovers in the 1st half and calling out the center? Just following online, but wouldn't have thought the center would be our biggest problem.

Iowa couldn't catch a break on shooting tonight, lots of shots that normally go in were rolling out. The foul calling was seemed to favor MSU, they didn't call anything on MSU down low. Regardless they always seem to have a chance and Caitlin Clark is going to win several Big Ten Player/Big Ten Freshman of the week awards.

Marshall and Warnock both had an off game. Marshall only attempted two shots. From the sound of it, Again Michigan State had a ton of offensive rebounds, but Iowa actually out-rebounded them by 1. Warnock did have 12 rebounds. I think Clark will be Player of the Week again, with her 69 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists from two games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT