ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

Watching Maryland - Indiana now, and watched Michigan-Northwestern yesterday. Maryland and Michigan look great, and Indiana is darn good as well. Not sure the Hawks match up very well with these three. Probably a good thing that Iowa only plays Maryland and Michigan once.

Reactions: LinusPF
Thursday's UConn @ Baylor cancelled. Iowa's chance at holding the national longest home winning streak takes a big hit.

I felt Warnock should had more touch's the last two games. Incredibly good from the 3

Lack of athleticism a big problem tonight. For all the progress in recruiting, still lacking in athleticism. Hoping Affolter can help in this regard.

92-79 Iowa. Clark with 37 points. Iowa played much better defense in the 2nd half and attachked the glass. Megan Meyer played a lot of minutes in the 2nd half and provided a huge spark. Her defense was close to lockdown. Czinano finally got going also,

Iowa played at a faster pace to start the second half and Minnesota didn't have the legs to keep up the tough defense. It certainly didn't hurt Caitlin Clark went crazy either, she was also named to this seasons Wooden Top 25 group of candidates right before the game. From Lisa's post game on the radio app sounds like Megan Meyer might be in line for more playing time.

Tru dat. Didn’t know she could play that kind of defense.

Megan really showed the player she could become tonight. Shades of Doyle with her D at the top of the zone. She was really glued to the player on the perimeter. She also flashed some shades of her sister cutting to the basket. Bluder and Coach Emmert mentioned her play in practice as the backup point and that her ball handling has improved. I think she needs to see approx 20 minutes a night going forward. Early in the year, I think she struggled some, especially since Iowa was playing more player defense. But now that Iowa has settled into the 2-3 zone, Megan is really coming on. In addition to her D she had 8 points and four assists. I really hope Megan decides to play a fifth year because her best basketball is in front of her.

I hate to say it because she's had a good career and hits big shots, but Alexis Sevillian hasn't been good this year. I think Meyer being the first guard off the bench could improve the team's defense and ball handling at a minimum. Sevillian still has a role, but I hope Coach Bluder isn't afraid to diminish it somewhat.

The team was sleepwalking the first half. At one time after a jump ball, the Iowa players all started to walk away to their half, feeling defeated, when in fact it's Iowa ball. The third quarter was a completely different story.

Minnesota has had its share of epic collapses under Lindsay Whalen, last year at home against Iowa, and the year before at home against Maryland which possibly cost Iowa's Big Ten regular season championship.

I hate to say it because she's had a good career and hits big shots, but Alexis Sevillian hasn't been good this year. I think Meyer being the first guard off the bench could improve the team's defense and ball handling at a minimum. Sevillian still has a role, but I hope Coach Bluder isn't afraid to diminish it somewhat.

Sevillian has been recovering from a foot injury and hasn't found her groove. It happened prior to the start of the season. I haven't heard any specifics but it's been mentioned a few times during the broadcast. I still think she needs 10-15 minutes because of her leadership but she hasn't found her shot this year and the injury has cost her a step and may be affecting her ability to drive. She can still be effective on D and as a spot up shooter. She also doesn't seem quite as crisp on her cuts. But I expect to see the old Lexi back by the end of the season as she continues to get healthy.

I agree Braydon. Lexi can bring plenty of experience in certain situations but they cannot expect too much from her anymore. I think Lauren Jensen and Megan Meyer will continue to see more minutes and have a higher talent ceiling than Lexi too. She has always been turnover prone forcing passes or not valuing the basketball but tonight she made mistakes late someone with her experience shouldn't be making.

. . . I think it's time to start mentioning Clark as the potential Big Ten and National Player of the Year. It doesn't matter that she's a freshman. She's been that good. . . .

I would pump the brakes on National POY talk. As good as Clark has been, she has yet to play any team currently in the top 20. She also has a ways to go overcome the anti-BIG sentiment that exists in WBB. Further, Iowa’s 4 BIG victories are over bottom-feeders Illinois and Wisconsin, near bottom-feeder Minnesota, and second division Rutgers. Hopefully, Clark will do as well against the top half of the BIG. Until then, POY discussions seem a little premature.

Reactions: LinusPF
I would pump the brakes on National POY talk. As good as Clark has been, she has yet to play any team currently in the top 20. She also has a ways to go overcome the anti-BIG sentiment that exists in WBB. Further, Iowa’s 4 BIG victories are over bottom-feeders Illinois and Wisconsin, near bottom-feeder Minnesota, and second division Rutgers. Hopefully, Clark will do as well against the top half of the BIG. Until then, POY discussions seem a little premature.
She put up over 30 against mich state

Here's my recap of the Minnesota win. Along with mentioning Meyer's contributions, I think it's time to start mentioning Clark as the potential Big Ten and National Player of the Year. It doesn't matter that she's a freshman. She's been that good.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...sota-79-start-the-player-of-the-year-campaign
After the B1G preseason consensus FOY was sidelined early in the year with an injury, Caitlin now is the overwhelming favorite for that award. It’s possible that with the numbers that she is averaging that even a healthy Angel Reese might not match her. Furthermore, I think Caitlin is making a good case for B1G POY and national FOY and, if she can continue to produce at her current level, national POY is not an absurd thought. A lot will depend on how the season plays out for the team. The Hawkeyes need to finish high in the conference and at least make the final in the B1G tournament as well as an impressive run in the national tournament for her to be national POY. There is still too much uncertainty left in the season for that bold prediction.

Reactions: jockos
She is definitely POY material. She will get better as the year goes. Last game was a good example of her slowing the game down and getting more comfortable. Don't care if they try and triple team her she can get her shot off from anywhere. If this teams plays defense like they did in the last half they can beat about anyone. I wished they would of played Michigan state a little later for the 1st time. This team is still getting going. She is going to win FOW and POW again. 37 points is incredible. BTW Minnesota is going to be dangerous in a week or two now that they have all of their players back.

I have not watched much of any of the recent games but can anyone speak to why Iowa seems to often play sluggishly in the first half of games? Credit to the team for fighting back against Drake, ISU, Minnesota, but it puts the team at a disadvantage where they have to overperform to overcome the deficit they put themselves in. These comebacks will be harder to come by against the top Big 10 teams.

With POY question, Big Ten is a smaller fish compared to the other major conferences. Clark's numbers should get her the B10 POY award but for NPOY the team's success matters a great deal. Iowa is already at a disadvantage because they're far from a blue blood program like UConn, South Carolina, or Baylor, whose star players will get more recognition on name alone.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Two more weekday games at around 3? Is that the sacrifice we need to make to put the games on BTN? I guess the night time is reserved for the men's games.

It will not affect the players since they will still be in the winter break. But,

I have not watched much of any of the recent games but can anyone speak to why Iowa seems to often play sluggishly in the first half of games? Credit to the team for fighting back against Drake, ISU, Minnesota, but it puts the team at a disadvantage where they have to overperform to overcome the deficit they put themselves in. These comebacks will be harder to come by against the top Big 10 teams.

With POY question, Big Ten is a smaller fish compared to the other major conferences. Clark's numbers should get her the B10 POY award but for NPOY the team's success matters a great deal. Iowa is already at a disadvantage because they're far from a blue blood program like UConn, South Carolina, or Baylor, whose star players will get more recognition on name alone.

I don't think they look inside to Monika Czinano enough early in many games, she's shooting 67% from the floor which can help get the team off to a good start. Creating double teams will open up the long ball too with usually 4 shooters on the floor at once. Also, they need to focus in on the defensive side a little more which is something they can control if their shots aren't falling. They will never be a lock-down defensive team but they have proven they can play solid defense.

NPOY can be done in the BIG, Megan Gustafson won nearly every award recently except one I think. Caitlin has the ability to potentially lead this program to new heights, especially with the next two recruiting classes coming in. Some of those other teams (UConn, S. Carolina, Baylor, etc.) will have more blue-chip talent on the roster which is one of the reasons I think Megan got all the attention she did (she deserved all of it though).

Reactions: cyberhawk
Two more weekday games at around 3? Is that the sacrifice we need to make to put the games on BTN? I guess the night time is reserved for the men's games.

It will not affect the players since they will still be in the winter break. But,

There are no fans other than family allowed in at most venues. Playing afternoon games mid-week is a great idea, get more women's games on regular TV so more people can view them.

To answer your question, yes most of the evening slots go to the men's games, as they will as the ratings are much higher and they can get more ad revenue.

Reactions: mphawk

She's not winning NPOY or coming close this year. Iowa just isn't in the same stratosphere as the top teams, and the POY will come from those teams. In subsequent years, if Iowa is winning Big 10 titles and going deeper in the tournament, she will be under consideration for national POY. Like it or not, the national media views Big 10 women's basketball as a level below the Big 12, SEC, ACC , Pac-12 and UConn. To even be considered, a player from a Big 10 team has to have their team dominating in the Big 10.

Reactions: AMAYS
She's not winning NPOY or coming close this year. Iowa just isn't in the same stratosphere as the top teams, and the POY will come from those teams. In subsequent years, if Iowa is winning Big 10 titles and going deeper in the tournament, she will be under consideration for national POY. Like it or not, the national media views Big 10 women's basketball as a level below the Big 12, SEC, ACC , Pac-12 and UConn. To even be considered, a player from a Big 10 team has to have their team dominating in the Big 10.

I wish some of this was not true, but this analysis is spot on.

There are no fans other than family allowed in at most venues. Playing afternoon games mid-week is a great idea, get more women's games on regular TV so more people can view them.

To answer your question, yes most of the evening slots go to the men's games, as they will as the ratings are much higher and they can get more ad revenue.
Ah, I see I didn't finish my sentence. I have no problem watching the games on BTN+ at night, but I have to work during the day. Not all fans are college students or retired.

"Wooden Award midseason top 25 list features Iowa's Caitlin Clark, 3 UConn stars"

Gustafson won NPOY without winning a Big Ten Title on a team ranked between 10-20 all season. It's not absurd at all to think Clark could at least have a chance if she keeps up this pace and Iowa keeps winning. I also follow a lot of national women's hoops accounts on twitter and non-Iowa message boards, and they absolutely know who she is and what she has done thus far.

Ah, I see I didn't finish my sentence. I have no problem watching the games on BTN+ at night, but I have to work during the day. Not all fans are college students or retired.

Yeah didn't mean to imply anything by it, just trying to explain why more afternoon games for the women. Totally understand people that can't watch in the afternoon (me included).

Play by play guy said last night Clark leads the country in TOs. I don't think she'll finish there...but yes, need to tap the breaks on the NPOY talk.

Play by play guy said last night Clark leads the country in TOs. I don't think she'll finish there...but yes, need to tap the breaks on the NPOY talk.
I would agree that she is unlikely to be in NPOY talks unless we win the conference, and I do not consider that likely. I am pretty sure, however, that last year's Big 10 POY led the conference in turnovers.

Here's the Twitter thread that sparked my call to begin the Caitlin Clark POY campaign. I couldn't find it again last night to include it in my recap. I agree with many here that her winning National POY is highly unlikely. That said, she's already considered amongst the Top 25 players in the country, and campaigning for POY honors can make a difference as the thread discusses.

Right now Clark's season is similar to the one Megan had as a senior. She's putting up numbers that are significantly better as a whole than most if not every other top player. Her teammates right now aren't quite as good as Megan's were that year, though, and this team's ceiling is a bit lower. That will probably kill her chances as others have said. Still, I think it's worth raising awareness about how good her season has been. Many in the national media are probably aware of Clark, but I'm not sure many are aware just how good she's been.

All this isn't to say Clark is a perfect player. She's not. She turns it over too much. She takes several shots per game that I wish she'd pass up. And her defensive positioning and movement at times is just plain bad. It's scary that, as good as she's been, she can still get significantly better.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Anybody know why Warnock did not start the second half and didn't come in until the 3:30 mark against Minnesota?

First major road test against #22 Northwestern tonight, 6PM CT on BTN.
Tough matchup for the Hawkeyes. Will be interesting to see if Meyer can help on the perimeter tonight. Huge athletic mismatch, but NW doesn’t have much size. Need the inside game and to rebound the ball. OTOH, the degree to which the Hawkeyes have owned NW is astounding. Something like 30-5 over last 35 games.

I never complain about officiating but my goodness is there any reason why officiating in women's basketball games are astronomically worse than men's? Phantom foul calls and no-calls on clear hacks is the norm. No surprise Iowa starting off sloppy and slow but they're keeping it within striking distance.

Can sure tell when Caitlin gets her first foul in the first quarter and she's been told not to get another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT