ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes at U20/23's

1. Insight, fact
2. Insight, fact
3. Insight, fact
4. Opinion, and will concede probably biased but it definitely wasn't easy. 3 National champs in the bracket - Starocci, Griffith, and Lewis...oh and a P4P top 10 freshman
5. Senior moment, admitted and corrected.
6. True, and not sure how you see any sort of excuse here. And I only admitted to 1 bad match.
7. Opinion, again, in what world is this an excuse.
8. Insight, fact.

I guess you did all the work for me here and proved yourself wrong.

Your arguments: He was a P4P top 10, HS recruit. He had 2 nice wins this year.

Love PK and Gabe. Total opposites...PK has great offense and Gabe defense. My concern with PK is that he shoots himself out of close matches and has nothing left for the stretch run to either defend or get the TD. Also, he can't ride or turn. This isn't just him at Iowa...it's quite a few guys on our team right now. People give the Bull a lot of crap because he largely underperformed at NCAAs...fair enough. But Bull was a consistent AA and won some tough matches because he did learn to ride. But this is why PK is so good at freestyle...guys can't get super defensive and run and hide from him like they do in folk. I think PK would have been great in the Gable years when they did call stalling on a regular basis.

With Gabe, the question as to whether he wins titles will come down to him being able to score on the top echelon guys. Getting that first period TD will be crucial to his success because guys will have to shoot on him later on and he can widen the gap. Gabe just has better reaction times on his feet compared to PK. So its not whether PK can beat Gabe in practice...it's who is going to be the one that can beat a guy like Rocco Welsh.

Except Kennedy was also a top 10 pfp...so how did we get here.
Because one of the guys has already shit the bed for about four seasons. I was super excited about Kennedy, but there’s no way to ignore the results of the last four years. I really hope he finishes very strong and has a chance to do that this year. Gabe has not disappointed yet.

Nelson beats both handily

Last time I checked 184 was the next weight class up from 174. And Nelson probably could still make 174.

Because one of the guys has already shit the bed for about four seasons. I was super excited about Kennedy, but there’s no way to ignore the results of the last four years. I really hope he finishes very strong and has a chance to do that this year. Gabe has not disappointed yet.

Shit the bed for 4 seasons?
20-21: Non- starter, Redshirted behind Marnelli
21-22: Non-starter, Covid Year behind Marinelli - went 17-2 losing to Marinelli and Payton Hall
22-23: #6 seed at Nationals but DNP. Impressive regular season to get the 6 seed. NCAA loses to Amine and Ramirez (who he just 10 pointed twice)
23-24: up to 174 had 8 loses, 6 of them to HIGH AAs - #7 seed at Nationals, one match away from AA
24-25: TBD
25-26: TBD
His career is only half over. Not sure how he had 4 years of shitting the bed.
Seems to me he "may" have had 1 year of shitting the bed.
People may be confusing his history with Marinelli or Assad

Give Gabe 60 varsity matches before you say whether he's disappointed or not.

That said, I was disappointed he stepped out twice in his 2nd match against Ryder and handed him the National Team spot!

Last edited:
After losing to DeAugustino in his first match and then Braden Davis winning the B10s, I didn’t have a lot of faith that Drake was a favorite to make the National finals. I was happy to be wrong.

I picked him to win it. Deaugustino gave him issues and was hoping they wouldn’t meet up. Was not surprised to see ASU there as well. Both kids were the studs of the little guys coming out of school. Each had some hiccups along the way.

After losing to DeAugustino in his first match and then Braden Davis winning the B10s, I didn’t have a lot of faith that Drake was a favorite to make the National finals. I was happy to be wrong.
I was hoping Davis would make a run, but even with the top seed there wasn't any level of certainty. Davis won the Big10 title with toughness, but his skill level wasn't superior to any of the other top 15. Ayala also wins with a toughness, and going into the nationals I had no sense of "these guys" are most likely going to be in the finals at 125. The weight was as an open weight as I can remember. With all that said Figueroa surprised me but Ayala not so much.

Reactions: sdvike
Funny, and again I want what's best for the team and Iowa. If you don't think Kennedy is a legit D1 wrestler with high AA talent then there is nothing I can say that will change that. Bottom line is that he has consistently beaten or been close with AAs. He's up a weight. I have no doubt he would have also AA'd at 165. He had beaten Facundo, Ruth, Conigliaro, and on and on. He lost this season to a national finalist in OT 2 weeks before NCAAs. He just won U23 Nationals. I have no doubt he is on the cusp of reaching High AA. He had 1, I'll repeat 1, bad match last season. Yes, at the wrong time. But he is a true 165lber and I think he had a he'll of a season.

I'm done debating opinion. The good news is that it will all work itself out and if Gabe wins the spot, I'll still think we have a high AA in our lineup at 174.

I still talk to many still in the room and I'm happy to report they have the same opinion as me on Kennedy.

I think many of you still think we're talking about Marinelli.

Kennedy last year was far better than the year before, and he was up a weight.
Good points. However gabe is better!!

Yeah but no one is likely to ever do that. They just see your post and figure you’re a bird of the feather.

But since you asked this time, I decided to do just that. Here are few just from page one of the search. I don’t think coming here to tell us we don’t have good coaches and that you hate us is being the good guest you claim to be. Either be better or don’t piss on our legs and say it’s raining. Make a choice.
Just getting back around here because I don’t camp out on my own board let anlon anyone else’s.

All but the last posts are legit critiques of the staff and status of the program. Can disagree with them but they’re just talking dumps.

The last one, if anyone takes that as dumping, y’all lost.
Yeah but no one is likely to ever do that. They just see your post and figure you’re a bird of the feather.

But since you asked this time, I decided to do just that. Here are few just from page one of the search. I don’t think coming here to tell us we don’t have good coaches and that you hate us is being the good guest you claim to be. Either be better or don’t piss on our legs and say it’s raining. Make a choice.
Since I don’t get back to my own board, let alone yours, that often this time of year, just seeing this.

Any reason you didn’t go back and read the whole posts, and post them, or is context not your thing?

Someone is pissing on legs but it’s not me.

Just getting back around here because I don’t camp out on my own board let anlon anyone else’s.

All but the last posts are legit critiques of the staff and status of the program. Can disagree with them but they’re just talking dumps.

Since I don’t get back to my own board, let alone yours, that often this time of year, just seeing this.

Any reason you didn’t go back and read the whole posts, and post them, or is context not your thing?

Vine Ok GIF

Do you ever preview your post before clicking reply?

Reactions: T8KUDWN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT