ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes at U20/23's

Frankly, because 174 is weak. I think both have limitations that prevent them from being sure-fire AAs. I have more faith in Gabe, as the younger guy, improving than PK in his 5th year.

This is a little silly at this point, you're right. I started this whole thing by saying PK/Gabe was going to be a very tight battle next year. And I was a big PK at 174 cheerleader this past year. I think it blew up because you described PK as a title contender and that's been so far from our experience with him for 4 years.

Not that my interpretation of a definition matters, but I would consider a "title contender" as anyone in the top 5-6. Let's be realistic, by the time the NCAA tournament rolls around and the grueling event that it is, anyone around that level can be considered a contender. I would say if he was called a "title favorite", that should be kept for the top 1-2. Who in most cases are fairly obvious. So, to me Kennedy is a title contender, he is not a title favorite.

I guess my comparison is this - was Drake a title contender this past year, yes. Was he a title favorite, probably not. Was Brooks a title favorite, pretty obvious yes.

FFS how many times are you going to post here HH? You love PK, we get it. Nobody else quite shares the same sentiment as you.
I'm replying to posts with many of my additions. And to think you speak for the whole board is interesting to say the least.

I get it now, everyone loves Gabe and everyone hates Kennedy. You see, I would never say that because there's so much space in between.

And because you're listening, I don't love Kennedy. I respect him, empathy with him for wrestling up a weight for the team (after an early season loss and for his gambling antics), and think he's right where he needs to be. I also think he's talented enough to be in the conversation with a stud freshman who hasn't yet stood the test of time.

And I said before, I'll gladly tip my hat to you when Gabe wins the spot. Will you do the same if reversed?

He will likely be ranked #3 preseason. That's too loose for you

It is when he's so obviously far behind the guy who will be #1. He's more likely to not place than finish 1st. That's not a title contender.

I'm more excited about Gabe than Kennedy too, not sure where that got lost.

Probably around the time you tried to say I didn't think Kennedy was a legit D1 wrestler. And certainly it was around when you took people who were disagreeing with you about his title hopes to mean they didn't think he could AA.

I think you had everyone onboard with the idea that he could very well win the 174 spot but then you couldn't help yourself and started to make kiddy fanboy comments which sent the thread off the rails.

This thing got derailed because I said the (preseason) #3 ranked kid in the nation was a title contender (with Starocci gone) after going to OT with the other finalist. I apologize, my bad.

You can claim all you want that he's the preseason #3 but that doesn't make it true. He wouldn't be ranked ahead of any of these guys if he was in preseason ranking.

O'Toole
Haines (or whomever PSU puts out there)
Welsh
Devos
Hamiti
Wolak

As I just said, he's more likely off the podium than a champ.

You can claim all you want that he's the preseason #3 but that doesn't make it true. He wouldn't be ranked ahead of any of these guys if he was in preseason ranking.

O'Toole
Haines (or whomever PSU puts out there)
Welsh
Devos
Hamiti
Wolak

As I just said, he's more likely off the podium than a champ.
Haiti to 174 (already stated, thats why OSU grabbed Fish and Amine), O'Toole is currently at 165. Haines currently at 157. Like i said, preseason. But again, some like to argue for the sake of arguing. And if he's preseason #4, my point remains.

Relax, guy.

But thanks for your insightful clarification.

Haiti to 174 (already stated, thats why OSU grabbed Fish and Amine), O'Toole is currently at 165. Haines currently at 157. Like i said, preseason. But again, some like to argue for the sake of arguing. And if he's preseason #4, my point remains.

Relax, guy.

And if everyone, and I mean everyone except Kennedy, leaves 174, he will be a title favorite.

And if Keenedy is not ranked #3/4 preseason, then neither will Gabe.

Relax, guy.

OSU put 165 on his announcement graphic today. I think it will be

157 Fish/Travis/Williams
165 Hamiti
174 Amine

Hamiti also has a redshirt i think.

it means if you look at their career wins, you’d be surprised how few PK has against AAs. he’s very competitive, but very rarely wins.
I'm well aware. I just think he wrestled very very well this year up a weight, and this summer. So I think he's finally where he needs to be.

I will say, I feel like I'm on a PSU board, it sucks to have to defend Kennedy this hard to his own fan base. Gabe is awesome but I'm sure he's realistic and knows his biggest test to date will be getting in the line-up without a shift. The talk of Caliendo to 157 is for his very reason - you have the ability to get 3 AAs out of 3 weight classes versus 2 (with Gabe/Kennedy on the bench)

But how many ranked kids has Gabe wrestled? Feldkamp who did not AA this year and Wittlake (meh). All of PK's losses this year were to High AAs except for one who was seeded #20. Just saying because it's implied Kennedy didn't do his job. He beat the #3 and #5 ranked kids in the country, and lost to High AAs. If Gabe beat High AAs this year (like Plott), I might be singing a slightly different tune

Last edited:

157 Fish/Travis/Williams
165 Hamiti
174 Amine

Hamiti then will have a similar Day 2 at Nationals as the years prior. I'm in IL, he's as good as they come but he has a really tough time making weight. $250k will change someone's mind I guess.

6 weeks back off an injury to wrestle and beat a well-conditioned attacker like Caliendo (in a tournament setting as the 4th maych of the day)....how is that NOT "coming off an injury"? If you recall, Kennedy looked like shit a few weeks earlier wrestling UPenn, ISU etc. He was clearly not yet in shape! His only other loses last year (other than Caliendo and UPenn) were basically Griffith, Starocci, M Lewis and Rocco Welch. The top 4 in the country. 4 of his 6 losses last year were to high AAs.

He had 2 bad losses all season. One off an injury, one at NCAAs. And again, not at his ideal weight.

And he lost in OT to a national finalist (Welch), by one point to Griffith (after getting majored earlier in the season).

Kennedy is a title contender next year any way you slice it. And he's having a great off season.
I hope you’re right…

All this back and forth for no reason.

157: Caliendo
165: Kennedy
174: Arnold
184: Brands

Let’s hope for high AA points from all 4
I think at this point our ideal lineup for next year would be:
125: Ayala
133: Petersen
141: Schriever
149: Parco
197: Glazier
285: Kueter

157 Fish/Travis/Williams
165 Hamiti
174 Amine

I am not sure how much stock we can put in that graphic being the weight class that Hamiti competes at. It is possible that he runs it back at 165 but he certainly looked to be bigger than Cam Amine last year.

All this back and forth for no reason.

Let’s hope for high AA points from all 4

I am not sure how much stock we can put in that graphic being the weight class that Hamiti competes at. It is possible that he runs it back at 165 but he certainly looked to be bigger than Cam Amine last year.
No way he's at 165. He is walking around at 192. Plus he just destroyed Plott in a live go to 50 pts. Beat him like 50 to 16. Being from IL I get some good Intel on him.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I think at this point our ideal lineup for next year would be:
125: Ayala
133: Petersen
141: Schriever
149: Parco
197: Glazier
285: Kueter
(Joking here) We are in big trouble, 6 of them have never AA'd before. And only one is a title contender (using the newly adopted definition above)!

It means GA has about as many quality wins in his short time with the program as PK has in his career as a Hawk.
There's no debate on that but not sure we were really ever talking about that. The question being debated is who would win the spot without a shuffle. If quality wins as a true freshman were the criteria you would score a point. But I never said otherwise. In fact I've extensively argued that this is not what will determine the lineup. Catch up

Reactions: el dub
It is when he's so obviously far behind the guy who will be #1. He's more likely to not place than finish 1st. That's not a title contender.

Probably around the time you tried to say I didn't think Kennedy was a legit D1 wrestler. And certainly it was around when you took people who were disagreeing with you about his title hopes to mean they didn't think he could AA.

I think you had everyone onboard with the idea that he could very well win the 174 spot but then you couldn't help yourself and started to make kiddy fanboy comments which sent the thread off the rails.
Never made fan boy comments. That's your spin. Fan boys are those hyping a true freshman. I'm on board with Gabe but I think you're underestimating Kennedy. They have similar styles, snap downs and go behinds. That's a hard way to best Kennedy.

Never made fan boy comments. That's your spin. Fan boys are those hyping a true freshman. I'm on board with Gabe but I think you're underestimating Kennedy. They have similar styles, snap downs and go behinds. That's a hard way to best Kennedy.

You've been beating the Kennedy drum, made excuses for him left and right, and then went to so far as to proclaim him a national title contender. I don't know any other way to term it.

There's no debate on that but not sure we were really ever talking about that. The question being debated is who would win the spot without a shuffle. If quality wins as a true freshman were the criteria you would score a point. But I never said otherwise. In fact I've extensively argued that this is not what will determine the lineup. Catch up
How about career quality wins? Gabe has as many/more as a true frosh than PK has in four seasons.

Btw, I prefer mustard.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
You've been beating the Kennedy drum, made excuses for him left and right, and then went to so far as to proclaim him a national title contender. I don't know any other way to
Hasn't that been happening on the other side too. Fact based. One match away from AA. Preseason top 5. Caliendo going down to make room. Why not just give Cobe the 157 spot. He has no quality wins either - so why drop him if the coaches don't agree with my point of view.

Hasn't that been happening on the other side too. Fact based. One match away from AA. Preseason top 5. Caliendo going down to make room. Why not just give Cobe the 157 spot. He has no quality wins either - so why drop him if the coaches don't agree with my point of view.

I don't know. Why don't you ask the people making those points? I continue to think it will be a good battle should both guys be at 174, but I'm not going to agree to a claim that Kennedy is a title contender. Neither guy is.

You keep trying to bait me with straw men. I'm not playing.

You've been beating the Kennedy drum, made excuses for him left and right, and then went to so far as to proclaim him a national title contender. I don't know any other way to term it.
Name one excuse I made. I simply said he was coming off an injury at the Salute.

U20 is always tougher than U23. I would say Gabe is a pretty substantial favorite to start over Kennedy. JMO.

Name one excuse I made. I simply said he was coming off an injury at the Salute.

We can’t expect a guy who’s been going full and live for 6 weeks to beat someone good.

But he had to wrestle 4 matches that day (1 was a pin and they were all cakewalks)

He’s wrestling up a weight

It was the toughest bracket (it wasn’t)

He wrestled O’Toole and the 4 seed close (both fake news) and has had some other close matches

He only had like 3 bad matches all year

He will be ranked 3rd (he won’t)

He was wrestling up a weight

Those are the greatest hits

I have heard from a guy on the team that Caliendo is going to make the cut to 157. If that is wrong then I will gladly say I was wrong…
Going to make the cut or can make the cut effectively and by choice. If TnT are pressuring him to cut down it will be a mismanagement of one of our best and most exciting wrestler.

We can’t expect a guy who’s been going full and live for 6 weeks to beat someone good.

But he had to wrestle 4 matches that day (1 was a pin and they were all cakewalks)

He’s wrestling up a weight

It was the toughest bracket (it wasn’t)

He wrestled O’Toole and the 4 seed close (both fake news) and has had some other close matches

He only had like 3 bad matches all year

He will be ranked 3rd (he won’t)

He was wrestling up a weight

Those are the greatest hits
1. Insight, fact
2. Insight, fact
3. Insight, fact
4. Opinion, and will concede probably biased but it definitely wasn't easy. 3 National champs in the bracket - Starocci, Griffith, and Lewis...oh and a P4P top 10 freshman
5. Senior moment, admitted and corrected.
6. True, and not sure how you see any sort of excuse here. And I only admitted to 1 bad match.
7. Opinion, again, in what world is this an excuse.
8. Insight, fact.

I guess you did all the work for me here and proved yourself wrong.

Your arguments: He was a P4P top 10, HS recruit. He had 2 nice wins this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT