ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks add RB grad transfer from Nevada.

It is arguable.

They even won an award for it last year.

How was your line? (Wait until i am done laughing to answer)
Do you really think we had the best line in the country? Cuz Alabama would beg the differ. Nice Consolation prize though.

Reactions: beau funston
Had? No. "Have" in 2017? Possible.

Hence my wording.

But, we did, inarguably win an award saying such...
But we won an award for the best o line last year...but as the drafts past and present show, we do not.

Stack the box and stop the run. Iowa has no skill threats on the outside. Will be pretty easy to gameplan Iowa this year, Bethard was a huge loss for the hawks.
Not really too much different than other years with ferentz. There are no real Mysteries generally. However, having a young new offenseive coordinator will certainly make it more difficult than last year to prepare for Iowa. Make no mistake about that

Stack the box and stop the run. Iowa has no skill threats on the outside. Will be pretty easy to gameplan Iowa this yea

Wow, you're a genius. Finally, someone knows how to game plan for Iowa. It's a good thing no opposing coach has thought of this before. But now that the secret is out to load the box and stop the run, Iowa might as well forfeit the season.

Does it hurt knowing Iowa is going to destroy you at the LOS again this year? How many years have we had a 50+ yard run on nubby? 3 I believe. But it only took 2 scores in the 1st quarter to put u away last year

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
coming to Iowa where we have the Best Offensive Line in the country is a smart move for this young man..

we are contenders for a Big Ten Championship this season.

Hopefully he doesn't split carries with Akrum. Split should be 90-10 Akrum
That seems rather foolish before seeing how he does at Iowa. Akrum is smallish and injury prone. Fewer carries may get him to the end of the season.

What do they base that award on? Iowa was 67th as a team in rushing last year. Award sounds like a joke to me
There are historically lots of mythical awards given to teams that probably didnt earn it. But you, being a UN fan, knew that, right?

How many yards did iowa have against nebraska? What was the score last year, i cant recall.

Last edited:
You think the Iowa offense will be any different than it has been in the past 17 years? LOL. KF is still running the show son. Just cause BF is the OC doesn't mean anything.
You, nor i know that. I will still wager Iowa destroys UN again this season. You guys sure seem to struggle with that Kirk Ferentz offense. It doesn't appear you have any more answers coming in this year than you did last year so prepare your anus

Stack the box and stop the run. Iowa has no skill threats on the outside. Will be pretty easy to gameplan Iowa this year, Bethard was a huge loss for the hawks.
Really, Didn't help Mighty Michigan defeat the Hawks. Or for that matter little Neb who the Hawks went thru like crap through a goose. Keep trying though. :p

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Good point, CJ had an awesome year last year, oh wait.....

Reactions: hawk224
Such an easy excuse. Pretty sure Akrum would want the carries and he could handle it. Darren Sproles is still doing ok. It's like how they handcuff baseball pitchers nowadays with limited innings/pitch count...guys are still having Tommy John surgery. I say go away with the pitch count and let them go until they aren't effective in the game. #truth

Horrendous example....Sproles is about 5'6" and built like a tank, Akrum is 5'10 and very lithe.

1. Gary Dolphin‏@GaryDolphin 6h6 hours ago
    Butler was All Mt West. Wolfpack MVP. Will remind you of Fred Russell, Jewell Hampton or former Badger James White! Powerful at 5'9, 210!

2 replies17 retweets91 likes
  2. Marc Morehouse Retweeted
    Mike Hlas‏@Hlas 7h7 hours ago
    New Iowa RB James Butler had 244 total yards and 4 TDs in Nevada's final game of 2016, a 45-10 win over UNLV to reclaim the Fremont Cannon.

2 replies8 retweets43 likes
  3. Marc Morehouse Retweeted
    Gary Dolphin‏@GaryDolphin 7h7 hours ago
    .@HawkeyeFootball with the fireworks! Welcome grad transfer James Butler. 1300+ yds at Nevada last season. What a compliment to Wadley!

0 replies20 retweets154 likes

I guess this doesnt do much in my mind. They have a very good RB and some promising younger backs. They need WR's!!!! Period!!! Until they show they can beat someone on the outside, at least sometimes, teams will have 9 in the box and Barry Sanders himself would have a hard time.

I guess this doesnt do much in my mind. They have a very good RB and some promising younger backs. They need WR's!!!! Period!!! Until they show they can beat someone on the outside, at least sometimes, teams will have 9 in the box and Barry Sanders himself would have a hard time.
Who knows? Maybe they'll flex Wadley out more to get him the ball in space? Butler is a proven commodity receiving the ball too.

They have versatile TEs like Fant, Beyer, and Cook ... guys who can be tough match-ups for either LBs or Ss.

A few younger Hawk players are on record saying that elements of Iowa's O have similarities to NDSU's O. NDSU was a pragmatic O ... willing to line up 2 RBs in the same backfield.

On top of all the above, VandeBerg is a talented and experienced WR.

The aforementioned points being that the coaches have enough versatile personnel on the offensive roster to create mismatches if they're willing to be a little on the pragmatic side.

IF the QBs can get down the timing with their targets ... the Iowa passing game could be better than we fear. If the timing remains off ... it could be every bit as bad as we fear.

Who knows? Maybe they'll flex Wadley out more to get him the ball in space? Butler is a proven commodity receiving the ball too.

They have versatile TEs like Fant, Beyer, and Cook ... guys who can be tough match-ups for either LBs or Ss.

A few younger Hawk players are on record saying that elements of Iowa's O have similarities to NDSU's O. NDSU was a pragmatic O ... willing to line up 2 RBs in the same backfield.

On top of all the above, VandeBerg is a talented and experienced WR.

The aforementioned points being that the coaches have enough versatile personnel on the offensive roster to create mismatches if they're willing to be a little on the pragmatic side.

IF the QBs can get down the timing with their targets ... the Iowa passing game could be better than we fear. If the timing remains off ... it could be every bit as bad as we fear.

Well...I will believe it when I see it. The conservative strains run deep....

Reactions: 24 so far
Okay, wow. Just watched the video posted earlier in this thread. JB is a home run waiting to happen. His moves are different than Wadley's, but every bit as uncanny. I know he was playing against defenses from a much weaker conference and some of those long TD runs would have been limited to big gains (but still, a lot of those gains would still be around 20 or 30 yards or more), but he just has the look. He has Wadley-like speed, fluid and unpredictable moves as opposed to Wadleys wild gyrations and jump cuts, better than Wadley at putting guys on their heels as he runs downhill because it's clear they are cautious because he can easily outmaneuver any aggressive straight-line approach and it's ultimately why he is better at breaking tackles than Wadley. But part of the reason for the latter is because he also possesses Dalvin Cook-like vision, patience, and explosion. I'm not saying he's Dalvin Cook at all. I'm just saying he possesses a lot of similar traits as Wadley and Cook.

Whether that will translate to the B1G, we'll see. But I honestly think he and Wadley will share time like Wadley did with Daniels last year. That's not a bad thing at all if JB plays in a way worthy of splitting time. Hopefully, B. Ferentz has the type of mind who can manage to get two playmakers like that on the field at the same time, especially since Iowa is hurting at WR. And I hope K.O.K has learned a few good things since he was last with Iowa (not a jab, I just hope he can be more effectively creative).

If the offensive minds were willing and could manage to create roles for Wadley and Bradley (provided he's as good as I think he is) similar to that of Curtis Samuel or Christian McCaffery then I'd ... well, I'd cry. I'm not ashamed to admit it. If I saw two Mini-McCafferys on the field at the same time doing crazy Christian McCaffery-type things, I'd bawl. I would have to go back to the mid-80s Hayden Fry days to find an Iowa playbook that used its weapons in ways that kept the defenses constantly guessing. I know, it would be a miracle to see B.F. be a contemporary version of Bill Snyder as O.C.

But they gotta figure out as many ways as possible to use their weapons. They have some weapons, too: Wadley, MVB, Fant, and hopefully Butler. In fact, the reports are that they have quality receiver depth at TE. Get them on the field if Devonte Young or Adrian Falconer aren't cutting it. Even if they do well, you'd think that they'd add a multitude of sets with 2 and 3 TE. Heck, even 4 on the field to throw wrinkles into game plans, using sets of plays and personnel that hadn't been used against earlier opponents to prevent opposing teams from easily predicting the play before the ball snapped (cough, GD, cough).

If, in addition, B.F. could be Snyder-like and call plays in sequence that keeps the opponent off balance and playing below their talent level then I will commit myself to believing in unicorns and fairy tales. For the sake of making a radical change from my typical position on this subject, I shall allow myself to imagine that B. Ferentz will blow my mind. It's preposterous, yes, but I shall wait until halftime of the Wyoming game to completely rip him to shreds for failing miserably.

But, no, I'm going to choose to believe--through conscious self-deception--that JB is a an All-B10 level stud and that B.F. will prove to be THE best offensive coordinator in the nation through an internalization of an inspired and extraordinarily complex cross-pollination of many of the best offensive minds: {Bill Walsh x Pete Carroll x Kyle Shanahan} x {Todd, Haley x Don Shula} x {Brian Billick x Don Coryell x Mike Holmgren}.

I'm basically saying that Brian Ferentz is the smartest man alive. Yes, an offensive genius on an unparalleled level, the first human to create an offensive playbook more complex and beautiful than spacetime quantum fractals, but he derives all of his knowledge not through studying film, reading published strategies and philosophies of other coaches, or collaborating with fellow coaches, but through his skin as the surrounding molecules made up of various elements penetrating his veins and arteries and then interacting with his red blood cells, information is delivered in a mathematically perfect manner through the nervous system and the brain, making Brian the first such person to utilize the physical compounds of the air that envelopes him and every other human being as a means to become a genius beyond genius, the Proto-Genius, The On-HighNess of Playbooksberg, the To Become beyond our feeble minds' ability to fathom, the Ongoing Ongoing, the Mystical Poop Sack, The Jelly Roll Donut, the Master of Everything You Thought Could Not Be Mastered, The Living Kind, The Legally Blind, and The Insane Badass Knick Knack.

Another thread hijacked by Debby trolls and thin skin Hawk fans...smh Glad Butler is joining the team, will be great to see him in Gold & Black !

Reclaimed the thread for you with this post. :D

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, if JB performs in a manner very similar to what I've written above, regardless of the play calling by the end of the seventh week (NW game), then I think all of you should chip in and pay the highest level premium package for me for the next year. ;-)

No ... but seriously. lol

In fact, if JB performs like that through the seventh week then I should be allowed to write a premium article on an Iowa football-related subject of my choice. !!! Indeed.

:D

Greg Purnell former Linn-Mar coach was his high school coach at Wheaton Catholic..Greg and Reese Morgan go way back ..Greg has told me that this kid is a quality person and athlete...He says his mother has sacrificed a lot for this youngman so I'm sure he wanted to play closer to home for her.

Okay, wow. Just watched the video posted earlier in this thread. JB is a home run waiting to happen. His moves are different than Wadley's, but every bit as uncanny. I know he was playing against defenses from a much weaker conference and some of those long TD runs would have been limited to big gains (but still, a lot of those gains would still be around 20 or 30 yards or more), but he just has the look. He has Wadley-like speed, fluid and unpredictable moves as opposed to Wadleys wild gyrations and jump cuts, better than Wadley at putting guys on their heels as he runs downhill because it's clear they are cautious because he can easily outmaneuver any aggressive straight-line approach and it's ultimately why he is better at breaking tackles than Wadley. But part of the reason for the latter is because he also possesses Dalvin Cook-like vision, patience, and explosion. I'm not saying he's Dalvin Cook at all. I'm just saying he possesses a lot of similar traits as Wadley and Cook.

Whether that will translate to the B1G, we'll see. But I honestly think he and Wadley will share time like Wadley did with Daniels last year. That's not a bad thing at all if JB plays in a way worthy of splitting time. Hopefully, B. Ferentz has the type of mind who can manage to get two playmakers like that on the field at the same time, especially since Iowa is hurting at WR. And I hope K.O.K has learned a few good things since he was last with Iowa (not a jab, I just hope he can be more effectively creative).

If the offensive minds were willing and could manage to create roles for Wadley and Bradley (provided he's as good as I think he is) similar to that of Curtis Samuel or Christian McCaffery then I'd ... well, I'd cry. I'm not ashamed to admit it. If I saw two Mini-McCafferys on the field at the same time doing crazy Christian McCaffery-type things, I'd bawl. I would have to go back to the mid-80s Hayden Fry days to find an Iowa playbook that used its weapons in ways that kept the defenses constantly guessing. I know, it would be a miracle to see B.F. be a contemporary version of Bill Snyder as O.C.

But they gotta figure out as many ways as possible to use their weapons. They have some weapons, too: Wadley, MVB, Fant, and hopefully Butler. In fact, the reports are that they have quality receiver depth at TE. Get them on the field if Devonte Young or Adrian Falconer aren't cutting it. Even if they do well, you'd think that they'd add a multitude of sets with 2 and 3 TE. Heck, even 4 on the field to throw wrinkles into game plans, using sets of plays and personnel that hadn't been used against earlier opponents to prevent opposing teams from easily predicting the play before the ball snapped (cough, GD, cough).

If, in addition, B.F. could be Snyder-like and call plays in sequence that keeps the opponent off balance and playing below their talent level then I will commit myself to believing in unicorns and fairy tales. For the sake of making a radical change from my typical position on this subject, I shall allow myself to imagine that B. Ferentz will blow my mind. It's preposterous, yes, but I shall wait until halftime of the Wyoming game to completely rip him to shreds for failing miserably.

But, no, I'm going to choose to believe--through conscious self-deception--that JB is a an All-B10 level stud and that B.F. will prove to be THE best offensive coordinator in the nation through an internalization of an inspired and extraordinarily complex cross-pollination of many of the best offensive minds: {Bill Walsh x Pete Carroll x Kyle Shanahan} x {Todd, Haley x Don Shula} x {Brian Billick x Don Coryell x Mike Holmgren}.

I'm basically saying that Brian Ferentz is the smartest man alive. Yes, an offensive genius on an unparalleled level, the first human to create an offensive playbook more complex and beautiful than spacetime quantum fractals, but he derives all of his knowledge not through studying film, reading published strategies and philosophies of other coaches, or collaborating with fellow coaches, but through his skin as the surrounding molecules made up of various elements penetrating his veins and arteries and then interacting with his red blood cells, information is delivered in a mathematically perfect manner through the nervous system and the brain, making Brian the first such person to utilize the physical compounds of the air that envelopes him and every other human being as a means to become a genius beyond genius, the Proto-Genius, The On-HighNess of Playbooksberg, the To Become beyond our feeble minds' ability to fathom, the Ongoing Ongoing, the Mystical Poop Sack, The Jelly Roll Donut, the Master of Everything You Thought Could Not Be Mastered, The Living Kind, The Legally Blind, and The Insane Badass Knick Knack.

Reclaimed the thread for you with this post. :D

Agree in principle here. Iowa got better for 2017 with Butler. It will be great to have two very good backs to go to. We "think" the backups behind Wadley will be good, but don't know that. With Butler, we know. It doesn't mean that Iowa thinks any less of Wadley, but what are the chances that Iowa makes it through 12+ games with Wadley having 30+ touches every game with no injury? I would say almost zero. There will be a game or games this year where Wadley isn't 100% and Butler will have to step in. Or games where Wadley gets 25 touches but it's good to have a guy like Butler to soak up another 10-15. No matter who is in the game, Iowa will have a home-run threat. That's big.

With these two of the backfield this will be a nightmare for opposing defenses it'll be fun to watch linebackers trying cover these guys

Great pick up and will only promote competition for touches. BF has another wrinkle and since all backs are working with a new offense it will be interesting to see who responds to the challenge.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT