ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks add RB grad transfer from Nevada.

For KF to accept him for only one year, he must be very good indeed.

So, would it kill the football gods to have a WR transfer in? ;)

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Okay, wow. Just watched the video posted earlier in this thread. JB is a home run waiting to happen. His moves are different than Wadley's, but every bit as uncanny. I know he was playing against defenses from a much weaker conference and some of those long TD runs would have been limited to big gains (but still, a lot of those gains would still be around 20 or 30 yards or more), but he just has the look. He has Wadley-like speed, fluid and unpredictable moves as opposed to Wadleys wild gyrations and jump cuts, better than Wadley at putting guys on their heels as he runs downhill because it's clear they are cautious because he can easily outmaneuver any aggressive straight-line approach and it's ultimately why he is better at breaking tackles than Wadley. But part of the reason for the latter is because he also possesses Dalvin Cook-like vision, patience, and explosion. I'm not saying he's Dalvin Cook at all. I'm just saying he possesses a lot of similar traits as Wadley and Cook.

Whether that will translate to the B1G, we'll see. But I honestly think he and Wadley will share time like Wadley did with Daniels last year. That's not a bad thing at all if JB plays in a way worthy of splitting time. Hopefully, B. Ferentz has the type of mind who can manage to get two playmakers like that on the field at the same time, especially since Iowa is hurting at WR. And I hope K.O.K has learned a few good things since he was last with Iowa (not a jab, I just hope he can be more effectively creative).

If the offensive minds were willing and could manage to create roles for Wadley and Bradley (provided he's as good as I think he is) similar to that of Curtis Samuel or Christian McCaffery then I'd ... well, I'd cry. I'm not ashamed to admit it. If I saw two Mini-McCafferys on the field at the same time doing crazy Christian McCaffery-type things, I'd bawl. I would have to go back to the mid-80s Hayden Fry days to find an Iowa playbook that used its weapons in ways that kept the defenses constantly guessing. I know, it would be a miracle to see B.F. be a contemporary version of Bill Snyder as O.C.

But they gotta figure out as many ways as possible to use their weapons. They have some weapons, too: Wadley, MVB, Fant, and hopefully Butler. In fact, the reports are that they have quality receiver depth at TE. Get them on the field if Devonte Young or Adrian Falconer aren't cutting it. Even if they do well, you'd think that they'd add a multitude of sets with 2 and 3 TE. Heck, even 4 on the field to throw wrinkles into game plans, using sets of plays and personnel that hadn't been used against earlier opponents to prevent opposing teams from easily predicting the play before the ball snapped (cough, GD, cough).

If, in addition, B.F. could be Snyder-like and call plays in sequence that keeps the opponent off balance and playing below their talent level then I will commit myself to believing in unicorns and fairy tales. For the sake of making a radical change from my typical position on this subject, I shall allow myself to imagine that B. Ferentz will blow my mind. It's preposterous, yes, but I shall wait until halftime of the Wyoming game to completely rip him to shreds for failing miserably.

But, no, I'm going to choose to believe--through conscious self-deception--that JB is a an All-B10 level stud and that B.F. will prove to be THE best offensive coordinator in the nation through an internalization of an inspired and extraordinarily complex cross-pollination of many of the best offensive minds: {Bill Walsh x Pete Carroll x Kyle Shanahan} x {Todd, Haley x Don Shula} x {Brian Billick x Don Coryell x Mike Holmgren}.

I'm basically saying that Brian Ferentz is the smartest man alive. Yes, an offensive genius on an unparalleled level, the first human to create an offensive playbook more complex and beautiful than spacetime quantum fractals, but he derives all of his knowledge not through studying film, reading published strategies and philosophies of other coaches, or collaborating with fellow coaches, but through his skin as the surrounding molecules made up of various elements penetrating his veins and arteries and then interacting with his red blood cells, information is delivered in a mathematically perfect manner through the nervous system and the brain, making Brian the first such person to utilize the physical compounds of the air that envelopes him and every other human being as a means to become a genius beyond genius, the Proto-Genius, The On-HighNess of Playbooksberg, the To Become beyond our feeble minds' ability to fathom, the Ongoing Ongoing, the Mystical Poop Sack, The Jelly Roll Donut, the Master of Everything You Thought Could Not Be Mastered, The Living Kind, The Legally Blind, and The Insane Badass Knick Knack.

Reclaimed the thread for you with this post. :D

Brian?

I think Mr Butler will have to beat out Toks and Toren before he is automatically given the ball. I did notice some Stone cold blocks when the defense blitzed, which is a great way to get on the field.

I suspect there is a little bit of AIRBHG influence here in that the coaches know that some years you have to go down to your 4th RB for critical minutes. They know that they have 3 guys, but it can really derail your season if you need that 4th guy and don't have him.

Again, the fact he can take on blitzing LBers and catch the ball out of the backfield may give him Derrick Mitchell's role at the very least. Let's hope he is good enough to handle even more.

Also agree with the comment about a WR grad transfer. Boy, what an opportunity for someone out there.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
What does our FB situation look like?
Fullback situation looks good. Kulick will be a senior - he's coming back from injury but he's a good, tough guy. He played a lot of quality snaps last year.

Ross is an up-and-comer, he played last year too. He'll just be a SO in '17 and will likely only continue to improve.

The point ... Iowa returns two guys who played last year at FB. Last year was their first year getting snaps ... so invariably some mistakes were made. However, they're only going to improve moving forward.

For a team that plays out of the "I" or the power "I" .... we're sitting well as it relates to our FB personnel.

But we won an award for the best o line last year...but as the drafts past and present show, we do not.

We didn't have nearly the skill players the other lines had playing with them, and Alabama's skilledz would make any OL look great. I'm sure the committee picking the Joe Moore Award recipient are a bunch of idiots and would have been better off deferring to your expertise. Also, a lot of hurries and sacks were on Beathard, he wasn't the same playing with the injury last year and his pocket presence was "not so great" as a result.

Also, lack of draft picks is hardly any evidence or support against Iowa's claim to the award, as nearly the entire starting OL were underclassmen.

We didn't have nearly the skill players the other lines had playing with them, and Alabama's skilledz would make any OL look great. I'm sure the committee picking the Joe Moore Award recipient are a bunch of idiots and would have been better off deferring to your expertise. Also, a lot of hurries and sacks were on Beathard, he wasn't the same playing with the injury last year and his pocket presence was "not so great" as a result.

Also, lack of draft picks is hardly any evidence or support against Iowa's claim to the award, as nearly the entire starting OL were underclassmen.
It's not like Alabama plays against better defenses either, but I'm not going to go back and watch film on both teams to give you examples. But go ahead and watch the North Dakota State game if you'd like, we did play 3 top tier defenses in Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn St. but got smoked by Penn St.
I realize there were some changes on the line throughout the year, and made some pretty good holes for Wadley to run through, but a lot of times they got no push and it was just Wadley making plays.
They will be better this year than last years award winner, I agree.

Well...I will believe it when I see it. The conservative strains run deep....
True, but its kind of nice that know what knows just what Iowa may roll out this year as the season unfolds. I'm pretty sure that our bread and butter will still be running the ball with our zone blocking scheme. I do think though, that BF will have some cards up his sleeve as the season progresses. Should be fun.

If you look at the numbers, if Wadley gets injured ... then Iowa's season ends up going very quickly on "red alert." You can win a lot of games with a strong D and a good running game.

Iowa is clearly trying to give themselves a little more "wiggle room" as it might relate to future injuries. Furthermore, it tells me that they're invested in trying to win NOW ... not just trying to build for subsequent seasons. If I were to guess ... I think that they (the coaches) know that the 2019 recruiting class could be REALLY nice for them .... but they need to show recruits that things are still looking up for the Hawks.

Yeah honestly I don't get it I'm not sure why anyone would think adding a 1300 yard rusher from the previous year would do anything for us at all.... it's not like the Mountain West conference has a ton of running backs in the NFL… Oh wait, I think they do....oopsss, still who cares…:D

Now, all jokes aside...Just interesting information to have, we're all fans of Hayden Fry and Bill Snyder and how awesome we think they we, and we always remember them as incredible offensive innovators.

And they were to a degree, but something I've been doing of late when I hear something is I go back and I check around to see if the Truth equals the belief.

Bill Snyder's last four years from 1985 to 1988 Iowa scored under 17 points or rather 17 and under 12 times. They were 6-4-3 his last year and we played 7 teams that were sub .500!

Under the current regime, our last four years we've scored 17 or under 15 times in three more games and last year we went 8-5 and played five teams under 500.

The moral of the story is the line between genius and idiocy is ever so slight and as awesome as Hayden and Bill Snyder were they didn't always have everybody on their heels like we like to remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
except the comment was Darren Sproles is still going in the NFL.
My bad Cougar guess I didn't catch all the posts. I've watched Darren play since his high school days in Olathe KS. Pretty remarkable at 5'6" and always the smallest guy on the field, he's made a big impact both in college and the league.

Reactions: Cougar63
My bad Cougar guess I didn't catch all the posts. I've watched Darren play since his high school days in Olathe KS. Pretty remarkable at 5'6" and always the smallest guy on the field, he's made a big impact both in college and the league.
Kceast do you still live in Olathe my son just took a job there and was wondering where the best place was to go and watch Hawk games

Kceast do you still live in Olathe my son just took a job there and was wondering where the best place was to go and watch Hawk games
No never lived on the Kansas side. I live east of KC on the Missouri side close to Blue Springs, home of hawk great Ladell Betts. Did see Sproles play on Metro sports when he was in high school though, and he was amazing!
There are a number of places in KC metro to watch hawk games. There are two places close to Olathe,Ks called "The Other Place". Nice sports bar run by a guy who has a bar by the same name I think up in Cedar Rapids or somewhere up there. There's also a place right off I435 and State line Rd called Ugly Joes, I think. It used to be called Fuzzy's South, but burned down. I think the same guy owns it. He's an Iowa grad, in fact I think he may have played at Iowa in the 60's. This used to be a great Hawk hangout. Haven't been there in years. Since the BIG network came online, it MUCH cheaper for me to record the games and watch them when I get home from work on Saturday. Fun atmosphere at the bars though. There's a lot of Hawk fans in the KC metro, so there's actually a Greater Kansas City chapter of the Hawk Club here.

Reactions: bigfridaynite
You take talent when you can get it. Could be a good returner too.
Possibly. But what I like even better is that now Iowa could utilize Wadley in the return game much more than they might have otherwise since they now have a known quantity as a security blanket

Reactions: cmhawks99
Really like our back ups that are young right now so this is a great addition for this year.

Think Toks and Young are going to be good but probably a year away from being real contributors.,

Reactions: David1979
Great idea with putting Akrum back there on PR and KR. Prior to this pick-up, he was just too valuable. I was really afraid last year when we kept putting Dez back there, but he stayed healthy and made a difference.

Akrum can sure make people miss!!

Yes, Brian Ferentz. I'm wearing four pairs of black-and-gold-colored glasses simultaneously. It helps enable me to see what appears to be an inner Bill Walsh mating with Kyle Shanahan to produce a spectacular playbook within Brian's brain.

Agree in principle here. Iowa got better for 2017 with Butler. It will be great to have two very good backs to go to. We "think" the backups behind Wadley will be good, but don't know that. With Butler, we know. It doesn't mean that Iowa thinks any less of Wadley, but what are the chances that Iowa makes it through 12+ games with Wadley having 30+ touches every game with no injury? I would say almost zero. There will be a game or games this year where Wadley isn't 100% and Butler will have to step in. Or games where Wadley gets 25 touches but it's good to have a guy like Butler to soak up another 10-15. No matter who is in the game, Iowa will have a home-run threat. That's big.

All we have to do is go back to 2015 to remember how critical it is to have depth at RB. He's a great get and it takes pressure off the younger guys who have almost no in-game experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT