ADVERTISEMENT

Here We Go...Next Coach choices?

I highly doubt any of those guys would come to Iowa City. It is going to have to be another mid-major darling coach. Iowa is not a top 8 gig in the Big Ten, so why would any of those coaches leave their current situations to come to Iowa City??

I hate to say it as long as Barta is our AD, we are stuck with Fran. Barta won't care, as long as the Big Ten $$ is coming in and the donors are still donating, they could care less about W/L's.
NIKO MEDVED (Drake) Has mentioned as a rising star in coaching circles.

Reactions: And1Hawk
You think Iowa can poach Mike White from Florida? Fran makes 1.1 million a year, Mike makes 2 with a 1 million dollar buyout. Not astronomical but that would be a backwards career move unless you wanna bump Mike up to 3 million a year.

Florida plays in the SEC where they are second to only Kentucky in basketball. He has a better recruiting base and a better program. I don't think you can poach Mike White from Florida.
If I had to guess, I'm thinking that he meant the Florida Gulf Coast coach since we were already talking about him, not the U of F guy.

Dean Oliver. Pluck him from Wisconsin.
I can't believe I forgot that Deano was at Wiscy. He would be my pick. He already has a relationship with DJ Carton and was a pretty nice PG in his own right. I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but maybe he's learned a little something over the years.

I just read something that shocked me. Thad Matta is 50! Watching him the last couple of years I thought he was 65.

Maybe you're right. Maybe a reboot could bring him back to where he was just a few years ago.

Matta has major health problems that will likely never go away. He was sapped of all his energy and his teams played like that. It also kept him from the tireless recruiting energy he used to have. He is a shell of his former self and rival coaches used that against him in recruiting.

I just read something that shocked me. Thad Matta is 50! Watching him the last couple of years I thought he was 65.

Maybe you're right. Maybe a reboot could bring him back to where he was just a few years ago.

When Matta was hired at tOSU in 2004 he looked like a 50 year old man. He’s always looked 15 years older than he really is. Hope his back health improves but he would be a poor poor choice for any P5 school at this time.

Iowa really needs a coach that can recruit. Iowa isn't going to recruit itself so I worry about Jacobson. The same can probably be said about Nagy and Forbes on the list below.

Dan Hurley - Rhode Island
Scott Nagy - Wright State, Previously South Dakota St
Eric Musselman - Nevada
Steve Forbes - East Tennessee St

Dan Hurley would be an excellent choice. Re-built a decimated URI program that hadn't been to the NCAA tourney in 12 years when he was hired. Had them in the NIT in his third year, NCAA tournament last year including being up on Oregon late in the second half for a Sweet 16 birth. He has them receiving votes for the Top 25, 14-3 overall including a win against Seton Hall and undefeated in the A10 so far this year.

He's been around hoops his entire life growing up and playing for his father; the legendary HS coach from New Jersey. I believe he played hoops at Seton Hall, for sure attended there. Was a very successful HS coach his first gig after college. He's an East coast guy though, would be hard to get him to the Midwest I think. He's passionate and fiery like Fran but more in control.

He has 3 PGs any one of them would be starting for IA this year - Garrett, Dowtin, and Russell (a jet quick freshman from Philly, Fran's home town). I actually watch a lot of URI hoops as that is my son's alma mater. They're quick and play fast although a bit undisciplined. He'd have to firm that aspect up.

All that being said; like many others, I think Fran is around for next year and maybe longer depending how next season goes.

BJ and deano as co coaches :cool:

If I had to choose a coach with no head coaching experience BJ would be at the top of my list. His NBA experience would be a huge leg up in recruiting. Has BJ ever mentioned a desire to get into coaching? Probably has a pretty good gig now as an agent.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Best part of a coaching search is the initial list of everyone, myself included, throwing stuff at the wall.

Phil Jackson

I might be in the minority, I might be in the majority; not sure right now, but I feel we need to go in another direction.

Who are your first choices for new coach?

Greg Marshall- throw the house at him
Will Wade- VCU- took over good situation but has continued it
Thad Matta- Knows the Big10 and recruits well. Undervalued.
Chris Mack- Xavier

There's a silent majority behind you. We all know why they are silent on HR. Sad.

Reactions: Mcbooger
You think Iowa can poach Mike White from Florida? Fran makes 1.1 million a year, Mike makes 2 with a 1 million dollar buyout. Not astronomical but that would be a backwards career move unless you wanna bump Mike up to 3 million a year.

Florida plays in the SEC where they are second to only Kentucky in basketball. He has a better recruiting base and a better program. I don't think you can poach Mike White from Florida.

Fake news

Thats an easy assessment on the outside looking in on Matta. Sometimes after 13 years in the same place you lose that fire. Dude can recruit and might have the fire to burn his old school and league for being let go with all he did at OSU.

Didnt say it was my #1 choice but it could be an interesting one.
I have heard Matta has some health issues, namely a very bad back. That can take the fire out of some people.

Same direction, next seaon changes everything. Whether you like it or not, Fran will be back so this is nothing but an exercise in futility.
agree. For some reason, I feel like next year is one where we'll be projected in the bottom 3rd of the B1G and compete for a title. Some player, possibly Connor, is going to step up and be a leader on the team, and it's going to make all the difference (along with the motivation of not getting their tails kicked again).

Mike Dunlap is the guy I wanted to replace Alford, then Lick. But he isn't doing so well at Loyola Marymount right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT