ADVERTISEMENT

Hey guys... How the Dow doing this week?

Just remember corporate insiders are selling their stock at something like $600 MILLION A DAY!

"August is on track to be the fifth month of the year in which insider selling tops $10 billion. The only other times that has happened was 2006 and 2007, the period before the last bear market in stocks, TrimTabs said."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/26/investing/stock-market-insider-selling/index.html

Conservative media seems to be really struggling to find business experts feeling good about trade negotiations.

Most seem to be acknowledging that a hasty deal to save the U.S. economy will end of worse than what we had a year ago.

Can't they just rename something, ala NAFTA/USMCA, and claim success?

It was around 7,550 when Obama took office and about 19,800 when Trump took office. Now I'm no math expert, but that rounds out to about a 162% increase. Those were sure rough days.
I wonder if that increase had anything to with 0% interest rates and the Fed pushing people to invest in the stock market.
Obviously, it is great that the market recovered from 2008, but, this is lazy analysis

I wonder if that increase had anything to with 0% interest rates and the Fed pushing people to invest in the stock market.
Obviously, it is great that the market recovered from 2008, but, this is lazy analysis

Just cherry picking numbers like the OP. We just had a completely unnecessary tax cut for the rich, interest rates appear headed down again and the market has been essentially flat for the past year. I will be eager to check the stats again in another year. The next downturn is not far away.

Reactions: lucas80 and MitchLL
I must be the only person on here who really doesn't care about the economy. Through all the ups and downs my life has never really been affected. We just pay more and more for everything. Stock goes up, my money buys less. Stocks go down, my money buys more. Economics isn't really my expertise so I never understand why people who really aren't rich tout great economies. My life doesn't change really whether it's bad or good.

I must be the only person on here who really doesn't care about the economy. Through all the ups and downs my life has never really been affected. We just pay more and more for everything. Stock goes up, my money buys less. Stocks go down, my money buys more. Economics isn't really my expertise so I never understand why people who really aren't rich tout great economies. My life doesn't change really whether it's bad or good.

Then you’re fortunate.

From November 2008 to January 2009, revenue declined 50% at the company I worked at. Companies simply put off buying furniture. So, in the span of three months, the company went from being modestly profitable to having operating losses. It was up against the wall on all bank covenants related to debt. We laid off 25% of our workers and those that remained took 10% pay cuts. Those pay cuts weren’t reversed for another four years after that until the business recovered sufficiently. I learned a lot from that experience. The people that were laid off all lived check to check.

I am lucky now because the company I am with could lose 50% of it’s business and still be a break-even. That’s without pulling any levers. We will be much better positioned to absorb any downturn without having it affect our people.

And I'm the opposite, as all I care about is the economy. All the social justice warriors stuff never affects me. Tranny bathrooms, gun control, fake white supremacy, racism, the 1%er, the poor, abortion, the wall, immigration are all wedge issues to rile the bases. A great economy makes opportunities for all to overcome the wedge issues but the two parties will never let them go...

And I'm the opposite, as all I care about is the economy. All the social justice warriors stuff never affects me. Tranny bathrooms, gun control, fake white supremacy, racism, the 1%er, the poor, abortion, the wall, immigration are all wedge issues to rile the bases. A great economy makes opportunities for all to overcome the wedge issues but the two parties will never let them go...
That’s okay. I do all the caring about the important stuff for you.

I hope the Dow is doing better than OP’s grammar.

I guess that means I'm only down 7% for the year.

giphy.gif

The benefits of working in the public sector...
unless your retirement is tied to the stock market of course.

Reactions: jasonrann
The benefits of working in the public sector...
unless your retirement is tied to the stock market of course.
I have money in the market but I don't stress when the market goes down because I believe I am buying more stock. When the market goes back up my stock is worth more, from what I have always been able to see. Now if it collapses at retirement I might be a little nervous but for now I don't sweat the economy ever.

I have money in the market but I don't stress when the market goes down because I believe I am buying more stock. When the market goes back up my stock is worth more, from what I have always been able to see. Now if it collapses at retirement I might be a little nervous but for now I don't sweat the economy ever.
This is correct, and by the time you are ready to retire you should have everything moved over to safer investments anyway. I have been in the market for over 40 years. I retired about 5 months ago and have about 5 years worth of expenses in cash/money market/CD's and I'm not losing any sleep over what the market is doing over the next year or so.

It's up 25% since the day he took office... but I'm the idiot.
There is a new record for the number of people who have hit $1,000,000 or more in their 401k’s and IRA’s during the Trump economy. These are middle class folks that will have a great retirement. Record number of people working! 7,000,000 less people on food stamps! Record low unemployment rates for blacks and Hispanics. 50 year record low for women. Yeah, the Trump economy sucks.

There is a new record for the number of people who have hit $1,000,000 or more in their 401k’s and IRA’s during the Trump economy. These are middle class folks that will have a great retirement. Record number of people working! 7,000,000 less people on food stamps! Record low unemployment rates for blacks and Hispanics. 50 year record low for women. Yeah, the Trump economy sucks.
This turn around didn’t begin under Obama, who inherited the worst recession since the Great Depression. Could give credit both ways.

Math is hard

https://www.macrotrends.net/2482/sp500-performance-by-president

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT