ADVERTISEMENT

Hillary Clinton DEMANDS We End Electoral College

Hillary won the popular vote in California and New York
by a majority. Fortunately, the Electoral College prevents
those two states from having the final say on who is
elected President. It is an oversight to neglect Michigan
Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

We have it for that exact reason.

The fact that she and her handlers were too stupid to figure out you have to campaign in swing states that actually decide the election is why she lost.

They failed miserably at doing their job. Their reason to existence it to prevent unqualified and unfit candidates like Trump from being elected. If they are not going to do their job, why have them? Not to mention that it's undemocratic in that it allows some peoples' votes to count for more than other peoples' votes.

Electoral college is dumb and outdated. Should have been abolished decades ago.
This wouldn't even be a whispered mouse fart in a hay field had Clinton won.

The last I heard - "our elections can't be rigged" was the gospel of the Left.

We should abolish it because it was designed to prevent a populist demagogue who's in over his head from becoming president. Instead it did exactly the opposite of that and made that person president when he otherwise wouldn't have.

The other thing we have to remember is the idea of electors being selected by the popular vote wasn't the origional idea. A lot of electors where selected by the state legislatures early on. The reason the House of Representatives is known as the "The People's House" is because it was the only federal office in which it's members where selected via popular vote in all of the states.

Want the electoral college eliminated? Wait until a large purple state that is trending towards blue in demographics - think AZ or similar -- implements a proportion system for its electoral votes.

That will get the GOP to end the electoral college fast.

In a perfect world, I don't think an electoral college is appropriate - why should 1 vote for President in North Dakota mean so much more than a vote in New York? But that being said, it's here now, so no big deal - just live with and adapt to its inequities.

Reactions: MitchL

Umm the left has been talking about getting rid of the electorial college for a long time. They didn't forget that Bush Jr. also lost the popular vote in his first election. You can't pretend like getting rid of it is this brand new idea just because Clinton lost.

What does rigging have to do with the conversation? It's a question of balance, and right now rural votes carry much more weight than urban votes. That wasn't the original intention of the Electoral College no matter how many people want to revise history.

What does rigging have to do with the conversation? It's a question of balance, and right now rural votes carry much more weight than urban votes. That wasn't the original intention of the Electoral College no matter how many people want to revise history.
maybe because all MSM calls the EC "rigged" as HC was losing and lost. Examples below:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...-rigged-the-election-for-donald-trump-129259/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/10/18/electoral-college/92324036/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-college-vote-may-be-rigged-for-donald-trump/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-manipulated-donald-trump-swing-a7433091.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ectoral-college-president-20170606-story.html

I did notice you didn't refute the fact that EC wouldn't even be mentioned had HC won.

Having the EC means anyone who is not an elector of a state doesn't vote for the president.

Since the electors rarely, if ever, cast their votes differently from the popular vote in their state, then they are not necessary.

People who complain that NY and California will elect the president are incorrect. That's like claiming that every state governor is elected by the people in the largest cities of the state. Every vote is equal and counted.

The electoral college helps to maintain some balance between the interests of urban/populated states and rural states. The irony is that it was originally devised as a way to give urban voters a voice because at its founding the United States was a rural/ag nation. The principle is the same, however, to maintain balance.

The Electoral College is working as it was intended.

Want the electoral college eliminated? Wait until a large purple state that is trending towards blue in demographics - think AZ or similar -- implements a proportion system for its electoral votes.

That will get the GOP to end the electoral college fast.

In a perfect world, I don't think an electoral college is appropriate - why should 1 vote for President in North Dakota mean so much more than a vote in New York? But that being said, it's here now, so no big deal - just live with and adapt to its inequities.

Because states rights matter.

The founders were well aware of the dangers of direct democracy, and the electoral college was one way to dampen that down a bit.

When will there be cries to change the senate structure? Isn't that the logical next step?
Anything to facilitate the destruction of our free society. If folks want to be 100% controlled by your government, there are other countries you can go to. IIRC that is why the USA was founded...

Umm, actually it was, except in the opposite direction. It was set up so that urban voters had a voice as the country was predominantly rural. That the system also works in the opposite is the beauty of its design.

Reactions: cigaretteman
All it will do is lead to MORE 'Donald Trump's', not LESS.
Outside of DT not being able to form sentences, are you really upset with how the country is doing as a whole? Our economy is booming, workers are actually at a premium, we are in fewer conflicts across the globe, etc.

People claiming that the electoral college is intended to protect rural voters are still not acknowledging what the electoral college is intended to do.

The electoral college is comprised of ELECTORS, a specific group of people for each state, who actually elect the president. Our votes, as individuals, were never supposed to be counted or considered.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I disagree, the original intent of the EC in use today was to give slave states more power. So the rural bias was built in.

http://time.com/4558510/electoral-college-history-slavery/
Ah so the "electoral college" was footheld by the democrats during the slavery days to keep the blacks down... wow, the hatred of blacks is sewn deep into the Dems' history.

James Madison responded that such a system would prove unacceptable to the South: “The right of suffrage was much more diffusive [i.e., extensive] in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes.” In other words, in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.

It was created as a mechanism to make sure that qualified citizens had a way to supersede the whims of the uneducated.
Thank you.

And, they simply vote the way the uneducated people vote. It's broken and backwards. If the electors would vote in opposition to popular votes (which are irrelevant), then the EC would be valid. They never do that and thus devalue the votes being cast and considered in popular votes.

Ah so the "electoral college" was footheld by the democrats during the slavery days to keep the blacks down... wow, the hatred of blacks is sewn deep into the Dems' history.

James Madison responded that such a system would prove unacceptable to the South: “The right of suffrage was much more diffusive [i.e., extensive] in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes.” In other words, in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.
No one with any ability to read history denies that the Ds, who at the time were called Republicans ironically, used to be the bad conservative party that trampled individual rights. We collectively fixed that problem, now hating minorities is a GOP problem.

I'm impressed you read the article. Do you agree with Madison that the EC is there to deal with the "Negroes"?

Thank you for illustrating an even more important reason as to why the electoral college was created and is now archaic.

Hillary won the popular vote in California and New York
by a majority. Fortunately, the Electoral College prevents
those two states from having the final say on who is
elected President. It is an oversight to neglect Michigan
Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
This, exactly.

If you think "flyover" country gets the short end of the stick now, just wait until there is no electoral college.

Sour grapes - That's the ONLY reason anyone wants it abolished, even if they took two years to come up with a justification they felt was good enough to pedal to the public.

Reactions: hawkland14

I've been calling for the abolishment of the electoral college for decades. It's antiquated and not necessary. It makes votes unequal in their value.

This, exactly.

If you think "flyover" country gets the short end of the stick now, just wait until there is no electoral college.

Sour grapes - That's the ONLY reason anyone wants it abolished, even if they took two years to come up with a justification they felt was good enough to pedal to the public.
They don't care about the 'flyover states' anyway. It wouldn't be any worse than it is now.

Reactions: cigaretteman

Actually, had Clinton won the EC vote and Trump the popular vote, I would expect, and hope, that this issue became front and center. I think it's fair to assume the Right would have been on it, rightfully.

The EC is flawed and outdated. This, gerrymandering, and dark money are aspects of our system that can, and should, be addressed.

Outside of DT not being able to form sentences, are you really upset with how the country is doing as a whole? Our economy is booming, workers are actually at a premium, we are in fewer conflicts across the globe, etc.
Hell yes. I hate what he's done to the country. He's a veritable canker sore on everything good about our country. If he dropped off the face of the earth everyone would immediately be better for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT