ADVERTISEMENT

House Republicans overwhelmingly vote to support a Confederate monument at Arlington National Cemetery

Riley and Torbee are intellectual heavyweights.

- Said no one ever
No, we're not. Don't claim to be. We are, however, much smarter than your dumb ass.

Good to know you believe confederates are traitors. Hard to understand why you want traitors to be honored. And it's obvious why you won't answer the questions posed to you.

Reactions: nelly02
Service and allegiance to state was far more important during that time. Pick up a book.
It was about keeping and maintaining their culture. Which slavery and the subjugation of human beings was a foundation of.
This needs to be treaded on carefully. Easy to interpret monuments of Confederates as a celebration of slavery , share cropping, lynching, etc.

Returning from Nashville last week, we noticed a huge Confederate flag damn near flying over I 24 near Paducah, Kentucky.
DjtZHdoUwAAT3Hj

Also right across from the flag was a water tower with this painted upon it...
6021ef72c6021.image.jpg

So went I got back home I investigated and found this:

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Whether or not a southerner owned slaves, slavery itself was central to nearly every aspect of southern society and economy. It was overwhelmingly why the South lagged badly behind the North in industrialization, which made them more and more reliant on agriculture, which in turn made them more reliant of slavery for a cheap labor force. To be somebody in Southern society, it was nearly impossible to be somebody if you didn't own slaves - if only for appearances.

If not for slavery, most of the things that distinguished the South from the North would have been far less of note. Northern states were as passionate about state's rights as southern ones.
Yes but a lot of TN, Virginua, KY, and MO were decidedly not in support of the Confederacy and were not supportive of it.

Ironically today cheap labor come in the form of open borders.

Yes but a lot of TN, Virginua, KY, and MO were decidedly not in support of the Confederacy and were not supportive of it.

That cheap labor has been coming in for decades. Same with the outsourcing of jobs to countries that essentially use slave labor. None of what you’re pointing out is new.

Not coincidentally, in virginias case that’s how we ended up with West Virginia. Kentucky and Missouri were border states that had more contact with the north. The portion of Tennessee that wasn’t strongly pro-confederacy was also the portion that wasn’t great cotton-growing country so slavery did not have deep roots in that area.

Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
Returning from Nashville last week, we noticed a huge Confederate flag damn near flying over I 24 near Paducah, Kentucky.
DjtZHdoUwAAT3Hj

6021ef72c6021.image.jpg

Kinda sad really, the least surprising part being that it’s Paducah KY.

DjtZHdoUwAAT3Hj

6021ef72c6021.image.jpg

Paducah. Isn't that where the Hawk tuah chick is from? Lol

So, Northen really did spend all day long celebrating the Confederacy and slavery?
He's so clever to have owned you Libs.

Reactions: nelly02
Let’s remember the Democrats were the slave owners of the south.

The problem if you let them tear down any statues of history the woke mob won’t stop until they tear down all statues of history. They probably already have their eyes on the Washington monument and the Statue of Liberty.

Remember once the progressive woke mob is done devouring something you agree with they will eventually come to devour you as well.
Jesus ****ing Christ. How many got damn times does this have to be explained to you morons. The democrats of those days would be Republicans today. Why do you think Republicans are the ones trying to get a monument there? Are you really this ****ing stupid?

How do you feel about our founding fathers and the patriots that rebelled against the King?
Is it really this difficult for you Northern? The cause they were fighting for was noble. They were fighting for the freedom to govern themselves. I think that deserves to be celebrated.

The confederacy? Yeah not so much... turns out fighting to continue slavery isn't all that noble. Who knew 🤷

I never said they committed treason against the United States. Learn to read. They did commit treason (against Britain). That is a universally acknowledged fact. That is the ONLY "point" I am making. But I'm not surprised there are posters who choose to go off on a tangent.
Says others are going off on a tangent, tried to derail thread with bad analogy involving the Revolutionary War.

The irony is so thick Northern would never see it.

Is it really this difficult for you Northern? The cause they were fighting for was noble. They were fighting for the freedom to govern themselves. I think that deserves to be celebrated.

The confederacy? Yeah not so much... turns out fighting to continue slavery isn't all that noble. Who knew 🤷
The Confederacy was fighting for the freedom to govern themselves. Slavery was going to be finished in the south regardless of how that war turned out.

How do you feel about our founding fathers and the patriots that rebelled against the King?
You mean the ones who rebelled because they were being unfairly treated by an oppressive government without representation in its governing body? As opposed to the ones who rebelled because they weren’t allowed to own and horribly mistreat other humans anymore?

The Confederacy was fighting for the freedom to govern themselves. Slavery was going to be finished in the south regardless of how that war turned out.
Yeah. They were totally gonna get rid of that free labor for the only source of income in the entire region. That’s why they flooded Kansas to vote FOR slavery. Because they wanted to be able to end it there once they started it.

I can't imagine how stupid or hateful someone would have to be to continue to fight for The Lost Cause in 2024.
A.K.A. as “the noble cause” in a some quarters of this nation. I guess if one believes SLAVERY was a “noble cause” worth fighting for and dying for, this nation has a lot of education and self-examination to undergo.

Make no mistake, the “War Between the States” was fought primarily over slavery and “the Southern states” desire to expand slavery into the western frontier.

Slavery is also the primary reason Texas went to war with Mexico back in its early “Republic” days. Mexico, the legal owners of Texas had outlawed slavery in Mexico and its holdings…Texas was trying to settle its land with immigrants who were plantation owners/slave owners from the southern United States. This issue became the chief issue of friction between Texas and Mexico leading to the Texas war of (ironically) “independence”.

Last edited:

If that were the case then the people of the south really were stupid. I guess the war was good for one thing, thinning the herd of those idiots.

Are you aware that many of the revolutionary men enslaved other people? Are you aware that they fought against the ruling government who offered freedom to enslaved people if they joined the fight against the rebellion?

You mean the ones who rebelled because they were being unfairly treated by an oppressive government without representation in its governing body? As opposed to the ones who rebelled because they weren’t allowed to own and horribly mistreat other humans anymore?

See post 146. I'm just trying to see if any of you are capable of seeing the full measure of this.

Are you aware that many of the revolutionary men enslaved other people? Are you aware that they fought against the ruling government who offered freedom to enslaved people if they joined the fight against the rebellion?
Yes and yes. Are you aware that slavery was not the reason for the Revolutionary War but it was in the Civil War?

Do you believe the confederates fought for a noble cause?

Preparing for another deflection.

Yes and yes. Are you aware that slavery was not the reason for the Revolutionary War but it was in the Civil War?

Do you believe the confederates fought for a noble cause?

Preparing for another deflection.
There were many reasons for the Revolution and one not talked about in US history classes is the higher court ruling in England in 1772 that Common Law did not support slavery. The movement toward abolition was well on its way and in the early 1800s the trade was abolished and in I think 1833 slavery was abolished.

Was it a main reason? No the main reason was economic and slavery of course was an economic issue.

There is a whole lot about slavery and racism that gets covered up in US history. So, it was not THE REASON, but it certainly was a motivation in part by some leaders.

There were many reasons for the Revolution and one not talked about in US history classes is the higher court ruling in England in 1772 that Common Law did not support slavery. The movement toward abolition was well on its way and in the early 1800s the trade was abolished and in I think 1833 slavery was abolished.

Was it a main reason? No the main reason was economic and slavery of course was an economic issue.

There is a whole lot about slavery and racism that gets covered up in US history. So, it was not THE REASON, but it certainly was a motivation in part by some leaders.
I’ve never once read that slavery was a motivating factor for the revolutionary war on any level.

It was a minor factor, if that, in the Revolutionary War. It was THE factor in the Civil War. That's the point. The rest is just drivel from those trying to justify honoring confederate traitors.
I agree that it WAS the factor in the Civil War. The Rev was mostly about money and rich people protecting themselves. Not in it's entirety.

A number of the communist leaders in the Soviet Union were about control and money and they had their rich people.

Control of money is at the source of most conflicts

I agree that it WAS the factor in the Civil War. The Rev was mostly about money and rich people protecting themselves. Not in it's entirety.

A number of the communist leaders in the Soviet Union were about control and money and they had their rich people.

Control of money is at the source of most conflicts
It was about controlling the Colonies and taxing them without giving them any representation. It was not about slavery as the Civil War was which is the whole point of this discussion.

There are several who are trying to both sides the issue of honoring confederates with a claim that the Founding Fathers are equally traitorous. That's absurd and desperate. Which is common among those posters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT