ADVERTISEMENT

How can we not pass to the post

goodbyebobby

HR Legend
Mar 27, 2002
There were at least two passes last night where someone tried to feed the post and the angles were absolutely retarded. One went straight out of bounds and the other pass was to CP but he had no chance to catch the ball.

This skill should not be lost on a D- player, period. It should not require extensive coaching to see where the open hand of the post player is located and get the ball to an area where it can be caught with little to no movement by the post player.

I am stunned how our team sometimes, most times this season, look like a poor junior high team.

And why Garza didn't drop that dude when he tomahawked that dunk is beyond me.

The commentators talked about it last night. Shon Morris gave some interesting explanations before saying what I expected. Its a lost art because few teams play that way anymore.

There were at least two passes last night where someone tried to feed the post and the angles were absolutely retarded. One went straight out of bounds and the other pass was to CP but he had no chance to catch the ball.

This skill should not be lost on a D- player, period. It should not require extensive coaching to see where the open hand of the post player is located and get the ball to an area where it can be caught with little to no movement by the post player.

I am stunned how our team sometimes, most times this season, look like a poor junior high team.

I noticed the post passes too, good lord. We learned that in HS for Christ sake. My coach would have had us running lines the whole practice if we did that in a game. One of the passes by Dailey was so bad our guy couldn't even get a hand on it. That first half wasn't exactly a clinic on fundamentals.

post entries from the top of the circle don't work. It's not that hard to get a d1 college player to get the the free throw line extended and use a little english when necessary.

Just catching up with things, but I thought not passing in to the post was our biggest deficit! We needed to get it in more to Cook, Pemsl and Garza. I think that's where we miss Connor Mac. I wish Cordell would spend more time trying to get open and less time running around setting screens for Bohannon, etc. That substitution in the first half, when we were doing well, and then Fran taking all the starters out, that was a head-scratcher. Why not try to build on a lead? I do think our players are doing what they are told, but I seriously wonder about the coaching of this team.

Just catching up with things, but I thought not passing in to the post was our biggest deficit! We needed to get it in more to Cook, Pemsl and Garza. I think that's where we miss Connor Mac. I wish Cordell would spend more time trying to get open and less time running around setting screens for Bohannon, etc. That substitution in the first half, when we were doing well, and then Fran taking all the starters out, that was a head-scratcher. Why not try to build on a lead? I do think our players are doing what they are told, but I seriously wonder about the coaching of this team.

They look scared to pass it in the post, when they're not making a piss poor entry pass to start. Nunge missed 2-3 feeds in the 2nd half last night when Cook? was wide open asking for the ball.
For all of Fran's formal education, and hoops experience, the lack of basketball IQ on this team is truly shocking.

I am getting tired of watching Garza miss 3's, especially three in the first few minutes of game time. Keep him on the block.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I think the guards don't like passing in there for they feel they aren't gonna get it back. Every time I see Moss or Bohannon take a look at an entry feed and not pass it my first thought is they are being selfish. That's losing basketball.

Our guards are just plain bad. Except for Cook (and maybe Nunge who never seems to be inside) our post players are SLOW. If the pass isn't on the money, it is a turnover...

Why does Iowa struggle with post entry? Same reason one of Iowa's most athletic guards can't seem to get into a damn defensive stance and guard anybody. They're poorly taught/drilled/coached. And there isn't much accountability as far as I can tell.

Iowa looks like a team that spends most of its practice time running 5-on-0 offense. I know this isn't the case, but it sure looks like it.

There are so many passes Iowa tries (unsuccessfully) to make where I think "that pass only works in 5-on-0."

I think the guards don't like passing in there for they feel they aren't gonna get it back. Every time I see Moss or Bohannon take a look at an entry feed and not pass it my first thought is they are being selfish. That's losing basketball.
I think there might be a little to this. Garza and Cook are both black holes. I sense a little selfishness, ego and entitlement from a couple of the "star" players.

Why does Iowa struggle with post entry? Same reason one of Iowa's most athletic guards can't seem to get into a damn defensive stance and guard anybody. They're poorly taught/drilled/coached. And there isn't much accountability as far as I can tell.

Iowa looks like a team that spends most of its practice time running 5-on-0 offense. I know this isn't the case, but it sure looks like it.

There are so many passes Iowa tries (unsuccessfully) to make where I think "that pass only works in 5-on-0."
Was that stuff drilled to you guys regularly? And what did the coaches do to drill in that accountability?

We arent good enough at guard to get around gaurds to pass or make the play on the perimeter fast enough to pass it down low. Simple as that. We are posting just fine for a Soph and True Frosh doing most of the posting, we just cant get it to them.

AND cook never does pass it back out even if he has 3 guys hanging on him and he throws up a prayer

Reactions: jaffarosenfels
Tom Davis knows how to pass to the post. He was brilliant in teaching that skill, along with blocking out when rebounding, two of the most egregious of the many deficiencies in this Iowa team's fundamentals. Fran should have invited Tom over to teach him how to teach those skills about, oh, eight years ago.

Reactions: Mcbooger
Tom Davis knows how to pass to the post. He was brilliant in teaching that skill, along with blocking out when rebounding, two of the most egregious of the many deficiencies in this Iowa team's fundamentals. Fran should have invited Tom over to teach him how to teach those skills about, oh, eight years ago.

He could invite my high school coach over too.

I was just strolling through and checking to make sure no one posted this exact thing. There are so many fundamental issues with this team this area shouldn't come as a surprise.

AND cook never does pass it back out even if he has 3 guys hanging on him and he throws up a prayer

That too needs to be taught. That comes from experience and having a plan. Right now, when Cook gets the ball down low, he loses sight of his team and has tunnel vision.

We arent good enough at guard to get around gaurds to pass or make the play on the perimeter fast enough to pass it down low. Simple as that. We are posting just fine for a Soph and True Frosh doing most of the posting, we just cant get it to them.

This is exactly what's happening. JB has to pass straight from his dribble or he'll be smothered. Last game Uhl had someone small guarding him so he should have been passing the ball inside.

Uhl is an average player but there are ways to utilize him. He had a small guard guarding him but yet they never posted him up. Crazy. The other option is for Uhl to pass inside and then break to the basket for a pass. There's no way a guard should be able to handle him down low. It's terrible coaching when you have 4 bigs in the game and the other team has only 2, and you refuse to take advantage of the height.

Every time I see Dailey make that lazy telegraphed left handed bounce pass, I assume it's a TO. I have to laugh when posters here demand he plays the point.

I honestly don't believe Iowa has a single quality passer in the bunch. Part of it is they really don't have guys that move well off the ball, or post guys who know how to get good positioning to where they can give an easier target to feed.

Just plain a decided lack of fundamentals on this team...almost like they don't practice them. Ever.

Every time I see Dailey make that lazy telegraphed left handed bounce pass, I assume it's a TO. I have to laugh when posters here demand he plays the point.

I honestly don't believe Iowa has a single quality passer in the bunch. Part of it is they really don't have guys that move well off the ball, or post guys who know how to get good positioning to where they can give an easier target to feed.

Just plain a decided lack of fundamentals on this team...almost like they don't practice them. Ever.
Fully admit I was one of those on the Dailey bandwagon. It's not THAT hard to throw a pass at a decent angle so someone can catch it cleanly. It's like an SNL skit at times, a bad one.

Fully admit I was one of those on the Dailey bandwagon. It's not THAT hard to throw a pass at a decent angle so someone can catch it cleanly. It's like an SNL skit at times, a bad one.

I dont know how many times in the Fran era (too many to count) our player on the perimeter try to pass to the post from a spot closer to the top of the key than the wing...ie, an awful angle. Most of the time they are being semi-fronted by the defensive player and neither even get a hand on it and it goes out of bounds. Infuriating.

Dribble to create a better angle or pass it to the corner for that player to pass it in at a good angle. Its basic basketball that we fail at sometimes.

I still like Dailey at the point although he needs to cut down on the turnovers but he's hardly alone in that area. He's actually a very good passer but I think he does better in transition. Would have been nice to get him some quality minutes last year.

Thank you Bobby! I have been bitching about this for 8 fuggin Years!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT