ADVERTISEMENT

How did the offense look to you?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Petras was much more accurate. He had a few drops and punch outs on a wet night. A couple of long balls that could have been hauled in. If he can continue to be that accurate that is all we can ask because his escapability is not going to improve much. And that leads to the Oline which was very iffy again as they gave up a lot of penetration, a lot of near unblocked, quick pass rush pressure, but had some good blocking also. The running backs can make some better cuts on the screen passes as GWilliams could have had a huge gain on one cutting back behind 3 blockers.

We have some very good running backs, period. It helped to have Ragaini back and KJohnson also but he looked rusty for sure.

Any observations?

The offense is not good. They have some playmakers in KJ2, but the OL is a huge concern. I cringe saying this, but some Greg Davis passing game may serve them well because they are going to struggle running the ball and with drop back passing all year.

Kirk is going to use this game as an “I told you so” and won’t mention the quality of competition. The OL is bad. It’s amazing how big a difference Linderbaum makes as the line is basically the same as last year minus him. It adds to how incredible he is. Was good to have some more WRs back. Kaleb Johnson looks good. Some drops. Thought Petras did look improved, but still not great. WRs had some drops. The TD to Bruce was almost disaster because he almost overthrew him when nobody was within 10 yds of him. A lot of balls were only slightly better than dead ducks (which may be attributed to it raining all game). But if those dead ducks are thrown against an actual defense they get picked or broken up if they’re even close to the receiver. I liked that they were more inventive with moving the pocket. Just wonder why it took til game 3 to do that when everyone in the world knew they needed to do that much earlier. I think it’s becoming more and more clear that, system be damned, the young guys with more talent need on the field.

Grading on a curve I'd give Petras a B- or a B. I only remember him being really off target on 1 short-medium throw. I know it's Nevada, but he was pretty good on his ball placement, decisive in his decision making, and was attacking down the field. Hopefully he can build on it, but I think he should still be on a short leash.

Oline is still the biggest concern.

Kaleb Johnson needs more time on the field. The offense as a whole is putrid - plain and simple. This is one of the worst defenses in the country and Iowa couldn't get anything going consistently. OLine is very bad at this point and would be my #1 concern. Petras looked better but he is sure anxious and has happy feet back in the pocket. I honestly dont blame him given how bad the OLine is.

Grading on a curve I'd give Petras a B- or a B. I only remember him being really off target on 1 short-medium throw. I know it's Nevada, but he was pretty good on his ball placement, decisive in his decision making, and was attacking down the field. Hopefully he can build on it, but I think he should still be on a short leash.

I'd give him a C. Having Ragaini back helps in the fact that a possession guy like that bailed him out a couple times on below average throws.

I was encouraged,

1. Spencer throws were almost all catchable balls.

2. Spenser actually ran a couple of times.

3. Play calling was less predictable at times.

4. whole team played thru adversity.

I am sure the QB club will disagree but what I saw makes me wanting to come back and see if there anything more there to see!

I was encouraged,

1. Spencer throws were almost all catchable balls.

2. Spenser actually ran a couple of times.

3. Play calling was less predictable at times.

4. whole team played thru adversity.

I am sure the QB club will disagree but what I saw makes me wanting to come back and see if there anything more there to see!
Tap the breaks a bit, little buckaroo. Nevada is a terrible team. This game showed, and proved nothing.

Petras was average, at best. Let’s see what happens the next couple of weeks.

Petras proved wrong all the doubters that said he would never play on Sundays.
That's one of the funniest lines I've heard all year. I needed that.

The objective truth is this: Were his head coach anyone other than Kirk Ferentz, Mr. Petras would be a third- or fourth-string QB at every other school in the country . . . well, except for maybe Nevada, one of the worst football teams ever to set foot in Kinnick Stadium.

Let's see how Petras does @ Rutgers, and then vs. Michigan, @ Ohio State, @ Minnesota, vs. Wisconsin, etc. Then let's revisit this Sunday thing you mentioned. LOL

The objective truth is this: Were his head coach anyone other than Kirk Ferentz, Mr. Petras would be a third- or fourth-string QB at every other school in the country . . . well, except for maybe Nevada, one of the worst football teams ever to set foot in Kinnick Stadium.

Let's see how Petras does @ Rutgers, and then vs. Michigan, @ Ohio State, @ Minnesota, vs. Wisconsin, etc. Then let's revisit this Sunday thing you mentioned. LOL
I believe he was referring to the fact the game ended on Sunday.

You missed the joke.

I'd give him a C. Having Ragaini back helps in the fact that a possession guy like that bailed him out a couple times on below average throws.
Nico has had a number of drops the past couple years, he is an upgrade from Wick for sure but he's had issues too.

Nevada is a terrible team. O-line still needs a TON of work. If they can get it together quickly, we can have a chance. Too many people coming untouched through the line. Get Kaleb Johnson past the line of scrimmage, and something good will happen. Gavin Williams looks slow, but I think he has to be dinged up. Getting some healthy receivers back will help too. O-line is the major problem.

Almost every deep ball was off. There were 2 easy TDs he overthrew. Brecht had a step on his man 2 or 3 times and the ball was under thrown. Even the TD to Bruce was a very bad throw to a wide open receiver…Bruce made a fantastic play to get to that ball.

I'm not Petras fan, but another thing that stands out when he makes halfway decent medium and long passes is how poor Iowa's WR talent actually is. Guys are stumbling around to make plays on balls that any competent college receiver should adjust to in mid air. Petras makes it harder than it has to be, yes, but we've got to do better than walkon success stories at WR.

Kirk is going to use this game as an “I told you so” and won’t mention the quality of competition. The OL is bad. It’s amazing how big a difference Linderbaum makes as the line is basically the same as last year minus him. It adds to how incredible he is. Was good to have some more WRs back. Kaleb Johnson looks good. Some drops. Thought Petras did look improved, but still not great. WRs had some drops. The TD to Bruce was almost disaster because he almost overthrew him when nobody was within 10 yds of him. A lot of balls were only slightly better than dead ducks (which may be attributed to it raining all game). But if those dead ducks are thrown against an actual defense they get picked or broken up if they’re even close to the receiver. I liked that they were more inventive with moving the pocket. Just wonder why it took til game 3 to do that when everyone in the world knew they needed to do that much earlier. I think it’s becoming more and more clear that, system be damned, the young guys with more talent need on the field.
Ok. Ya might have typed some good observations, but most scroll past bc of your allusions to what Iowa’s line was last year.

It was putrid.

Ok. Ya might have typed some good observations, but most scroll back with your allusions to what Iowa’s line was last year.
It was putrid.
It was bad last year, but the offense was clearly more functional. How many times do we see Jones looking back not blocking anyone while the RB or Petras is running away or getting tackled. Linderbaum missed maybe 2 blocks all year last year. Plus against Iowa State why did we not sneak on the goal line? Because they don’t trust Jones to move his man in front of him. With Linderbaum we could sneak whenever we wanted.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I need to watch the game again, but Petras was late on almost all of his throws. WRs were actually open last night, which may have been a surprise to him. That duo of RBs from last years class could be absolutely ridiculous in years to come though. Kaleb has the quickness and the moves and Patterson appears to be a battering ram that Iowa has desperately needed.

It was bad last year, but the offense was clearly more functional. How many times do we see Jones looking back not blocking anyone while the RB or Petras is running away or getting tackled. Linderbaum missed maybe 2 blocks all year last year. Plus against Iowa State why did we not sneak on the goal line? Because they don’t trust Jones to move his man in front of him. With Linderbaum we could sneak whenever we wanted.
Im not going to argue with you on the difference, or sameness of bad- which you call functional.

Nevada was terrible thanks to Iowa’s suffocating D and Iowa’s offense was still a mess but not as train wreck as it’s been. Lot of film study needs to occur this week asking linemen why are you letting the first level go w/o touching and blowing up the play constantly.

Reactions: KatoHawk
Im not going to argue with you on the difference, or sameness of bad- which you call functional.
What is there to argue? True or false: the offense (while still bad) was better last year. The answer is absolutely true. If I had 2 radios and 1 never picked up a signal no matter what and the other picked up a signal occasionally when the conditions were right, the one that worked occasionally would be objectively more functional than the one that didn’t work even if it’s still bad.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT