ADVERTISEMENT

how do republicans continue

There is no concerted effort to dismantle the nuclear family. The origins of such beliefs can be traced to a misinterpretation of information, often fueled by right-wing media, which tends to sensationalize and instill a sense of panic. It's crucial to recognize that not all liberal perspectives are against fundamental values. Let's strive for a more nuanced understanding and open dialogue to bridge gaps in perception.
Starting with LBJs great society we began to incentivize mothers having children out of wedlock with welfare and benefits aimed directly at those areas. Those initial programs are now on steroids and the American father has now been replaced by the government as who you look to for support. You can say there wasn't an effort to dismantle, or you could say there was an effort to incentivize. Either way you are getting the same results and situation however you want to label it.

So, would you or most Dems be FOR incentivizing couples with children to stay married and live together through tax credits? I started a thread about that and didn't get any responses. I'll have to go bump it. Maybe you can respond.

This would be a great way to reverse the trend. Every financial and social metric shows that families that stay together are much more successful financially and socially, including children raised in those homes.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Starting with LBJs great society we began to incentivize mothers having children out of wedlock with welfare and benefits aimed directly at those areas. Those initial programs are now on steroids and the American father has now been replaced by the government as who you look to for support. You can say there wasn't an effort to dismantle, or you could say there was an effort to incentivize. Either way you are getting the same results and situation however you want to label it.
Welfare was established to support single parents without partners, prioritizing assistance for those in need rather than promoting any anti-fatherhood agenda. While some individuals may misuse welfare, the crucial difference lies in the essential support required by single mothers. In comparison, when considering farm subsidies, concerns about misuse also arise. The question remains: do you share similar apprehensions regarding the allocation of agricultural subsidies?

Last edited:
Welfare was established to support single parents without partners, prioritizing assistance for those in need rather than promoting any anti-fatherhood agenda. While some individuals may misuse welfare, the crucial difference lies in the essential support required by single mothers. In comparison, when considering farm subsidies, concerns about misuse also arise. The question remains: do you share similar apprehensions regarding the allocation of agricultural subsidies?
The fear is that welfare and programs like it have created a generation that see that as the norm and not the exception.

I have apprehensions about any government run program / agency. Where there is bureaucracy, there is bound to be fraud. I think a bigger question is to what extent and who are the biggest culprits.

The fear is that welfare and programs like it have created a generation that see that as the norm and not the exception.

I have apprehensions about any government run program / agency. Where there is bureaucracy, there is bound to be fraud. I think a bigger question is to what extent and who are the biggest culprits.
I’m tired of opposing programs due to fear.

People are involved, of course there’s people who take advantage. The trick is to keep it to a minimum. That doesn’t mean the program itself is flawed.

I’m tired of opposing programs due to fear.

People are involved, of course there’s people who take advantage. The trick is to keep it to a minimum. That doesn’t mean the program itself is flawed.
No fear. I feel like it has been proven that the less the government is involved, the more efficient the program runs and more people helped.

Lets say we cut everyone's taxes by 75%. Do you think more people would donate their money and do you think where they donated their money would work better for the people that need it?

No fear. I feel like it has been proven that the less the government is involved, the more efficient the program runs and more people helped.

Let’s say we cut everyone's taxes by 75%. Do you think more people would donate their money and do you think where they donated their money would work better for the people that need it?
Where has it been proven that less government is better?

The problem with charity is that it’s at its best when times are good and demand for their services is low, but they’re at their worst when times are bad and demand for their services are high. It’s a lesson we learned in the Great Depression.

Starting in the 80s republicans sold the fiction that government involvement is bad, always. This despite the fact that we have countless examples where businesses left to their own devices will prioritize profits over everything else. See Love Canal, train wreck in East Palestine Ohio last year, etc.

Where has it been proven that less government is better?

The problem with charity is that it’s at its best when times are good and demand for their services is low, but they’re at their worst when times are bad and demand for their services are high. It’s a lesson we learned in the Great Depression.

Starting in the 80s republicans sold the fiction that government involvement is bad, always. This despite the fact that we have countless examples where businesses left to their own devices will prioritize profits over everything else. See Love Canal, train wreck in East Palestine Ohio last year, etc.
I think you and I are arguing with the same idea in mind; it is just the means to get there.

I am pro government services as I do think there needs to be a degree of a safety net for our most vulnerable. I also believe that it should be a stop gap of services instead of a lifestyle that turns generational.

I think you and I are arguing with the same idea in mind; it is just the means to get there.

I am pro government services as I do think there needs to be a degree of a safety net for our most vulnerable. I also believe that it should be a stop gap of services instead of a lifestyle that turns generational.
I can understand some of the complaints around government services - tho I disagree that it is seen as a lifestyle by people who use it.
The problem, or at least in part, imo is that there seems to be fewer options available to people who are trying to get off of a program like food stamps. It’s been discussed elsewhere but I mean in terms of wages not really keeping pace with cost of living expenses, which then makes apply for food stamps essential.

Couple of examples from my own experiences. 11 years ago I started with Wells Fargo as a managed resource; got paid ~$13/hour, no insurance. When working 40 hours a week, that was fine for just me; but wouldn’t have worked if I was supporting a family. During the winter when work slowed, we were often sent home early and often worked just 20-30 hours per week. I actually could have qualified for unemployment based on how little I was working a couple times. When I got hired full-time I got insurance, paid time off but actually got paid less. Without overtime pay I had a difficult time finding an apt I could afford.

Doing better now, but as a result I’m more sympathetic to people who rely on government services. Many of the posters here who complain about them have no personal experience with them and rely on statistics which don’t always tell the whole story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT