ADVERTISEMENT

How do we compete this season?

HawkSTL

All-Conference
Jan 28, 2018
We’ve got to try to be competitive this year. So what do we do? I think we need to cut the rotation to 9. And we need to lean veteran. And let’s assume JBO plays.

So we start: JBO, Evelyn, Wieskamp, Kriener, Garza. That gives us 5 guys that have played a lot of basketball. Evelyn and JBO can take turns playing on and off ball. Evelyn can guard and make open shots (hopefully). We focus on interior play and we play deliberately.

CJF is the first guard off the bench and plays a lot. Pemsl is the first Big off the bench. He’s played a lot and hopefully it comes back.

McCaffrey and Toussaint compete for the the last guard spot. Nunge and PMac compete for the last big spot.

Your analysis kinda sucks. Eveylyn is really bad.

Your lack of analysis also sucks. If you care, the thought process is that we need at least one decent player off the bench and that is CJF. Evelyn can fit in with the starters, move the ball, play defense and let JBO play off ball some. CJF plays more minutes.

If JBO redshirts. Then just start Toussaint and CJF this year and take your lumps.

The guards spots need heavy minutes from JoBo/CJF/Toussant
Weezy
needs to play 30+ minutes, mostly at the 3
Kreiner and Garza should play 50+ minutes combined
Jury still out on Evelyn, maybe 10-12 minutes per game
PMac has potential but not feeling good about him playing against the MSU's, PUrdont, etc. - 10 minutes?
Connor should be a role player
Nunge should enter the transfer portal...ok that wasnt necessary, but he better step up and fast
Pemsl - great attitude but just not seeing much of a role

If Top 6 Guys in Bold are not logging big minutes we are in for some trouble

Reactions: StarHawk
I’ve said this several times I think this was a buzzsaw game. Just caught a really hot team, it happens. IMO JT, CJF, Weiskamp, Kreiner, Garza get minimum 30 MPG. Everybody else you go with the hot hand. JBo IMO needs the redshirt. Weiskamp will be back so you get the promising young guys minutes and lumps this year and prepare for the next.

Reactions: skydog0784
Evelyn showed almost nothing tonight. Nunge disappeared. Pemsl was tentative and rusty. Toussant looked awfully snarky at times, and out of control. Wieskamp did little. PMac is a reserve. It was a good game for Fredrick, Garza, and I don't think Connor played that bad. Kreiner looked very good when he didn't handle the ball. I mean, DePaul made us look like a JV team. They are picked 10th in the Big East, but I think they are a Top 20 team if they keep playing like this. We are not very good unless we play weak teams, it appears at this point..

Last edited:
Evelyn showed almost nothing tonight. Nunge disappeared. Pemsl was tentative. Toussant looked awfully snarky at times. Wieskamp did little. It was a good game for Fredrick, Garza, and I don't think Connor played that bad. Kreiner looked good when he didn't handle the ball. I mean, DePaul made us look like a JV team. They are picked 10th in the Big East, but I think they are a Top 20 team if they keep playing like this. We are not very good unless we play weak teams.

Evelyn was 0-2, 3 assists, 1 rebound and no turnovers.

Connor was 1-3, 3 assists, 0 rebounds and 2 turnovers.

From your perspective, Evelyn showed nothing but Connor did not play that bad?

I’ve said this several times I think this was a buzzsaw game. Just caught a really hot team, it happens. IMO JT, CJF, Weiskamp, Kreiner, Garza get minimum 30 MPG. Everybody else you go with the hot hand. JBo IMO needs the redshirt. Weiskamp will be back so you get the promising young guys minutes and lumps this year and prepare for the next.

Yes, and if it happens twice, it's called coincidence.

But when it happens over and over and over and over again...well, you know what they say: "If it walks like a duck..."

Iowa is slow, unathletic, and pigmentally challenged AF. They're going to face plenty of "hot" teams the rest of the season.

Next game I'd start Garza, Kriener, Joe, Fredrick and either Bohannon or Toussant. Why Nunge has been starting is a mystery. Sometimes a really bad game like tonight's is what can make a team work harder and become better.

All is lost! The Sky is falling!
76625216_10212337574073081_4024171343153987584_n.jpg

Reactions: GrayhoundHawk
I'd certainly like to see Toussaint get more minutes. He will probably make a lot of mistakes. But he at least has the athletic ability to be competitive against most of the other PGs he'll be facing. I also think he has some east coast city ball attitude that will serve him well.

I feel the same way. I’m not a Connor hater either, just don’t think he’s a starter / large minutes worthy player at this level of basketball. Off the bench in spot minutes is about right for him. Play Joe T

see UNI. that is how this team competes.
I was thinking as we were getting pounded by 28 points, I wonder if Jacobsen could win with this team.

It looks like a UNI team. A quick black PG, mostly white guys from Iowa, a center than can shoot the 3.

Jacobsen would just hammer defense in practice all season with a team like this & use most of the shot clock if Joe T couldn’t score on the initial transition.

The Hawkeyes had 19 turnovers against DePaul.
They had the quick and athletic guys on the floor.
Iowa had the slow guys playing basketball.

We’ve got to try to be competitive this year. So what do we do? I think we need to cut the rotation to 9. And we need to lean veteran. And let’s assume JBO plays.

So we start: JBO, Evelyn, Wieskamp, Kriener, Garza. That gives us 5 guys that have played a lot of basketball. Evelyn and JBO can take turns playing on and off ball. Evelyn can guard and make open shots (hopefully). We focus on interior play and we play deliberately.

CJF is the first guard off the bench and plays a lot. Pemsl is the first Big off the bench. He’s played a lot and hopefully it comes back.

McCaffrey and Toussaint compete for the the last guard spot. Nunge and PMac compete for the last big spot.

That lineup still slow and can't defend and can't score.

Reactions: Eternal Return
That lineup still slow and can't defend and can't score.

The problem is we have no good option at the 4. And I don’t think we can win with Toussiant in the short-term. He’s going to the turn the ball over a lot and take bad shots.

If the goal is to win this year, the only way is playing low mistake players, limiting turn-overs, and committing to defense.

If JBO redshirts then I’m fine with a full rebuild I guess this year. Just play the freshman a lot.

The problem is we have no good option at the 4. And I don’t think we can win with Toussiant in the short-term. He’s going to the turn the ball over a lot and take bad shots.

If the goal is to win this year, the only way is playing low mistake players, limiting turn-overs, and committing to defense.

If JBO redshirts then I’m fine with a full rebuild I guess this year. Just play the freshman a lot.

Joe T has more potential to be a good defender too. He along with C.J. can actually play man D. When Connor and others in we are in zone for sure because they can’t move their feet quick enough. So I disagree about the ‘committing’ to D. We have some guys who can’t at this level. Give me some mistakes with 30 minutes of juice.

Last edited:
Evelyn is not bad. I was hoping for more but he is playing out of position. A guy used to having the ball in his hands who now plays off the ball. Makes no sense. Let him run the point and see what he can do. He is at least capable of staying in the same zip code defensively which is more than I can say for CM.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Anyone projecting a lineup that includes JBO should stop. He needs to redshirt immediately, continue to rehab, and try to get back to some semblance of his former self in 2020-2021.

Very much agreed. He doesn't look right. He was literally walking around on some plays.

1. J-Bo needs to redshirt.
2. Nunge has shown nothing in competitive action. Right now he deserves 0 minutes.
3. Pat looks weak and is getting pushed around. I'm having visions of Michigan State forwards manhandling him. He should be a nominee for a redshirt.

There, that should shorten the rotation just enough to hopefully compete for the NIT.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
My opinion CJF JW LG need 30 plus minutes. Been very impressed with CJ defense. I know Conner didnt have his best night but not ready to pull him out of line up.
No way Luka can average 30 minutes a game, He gets gassed pretty easily.

You're going to bench our best or second best talent, CJ??? He is solid on offense and defense. Overall, he's a better and more complete player than Bohannon and Evelyn.

My opinion CJF JW LG need 30 plus minutes. Been very impressed with CJ defense. I know Conner didnt have his best night but not ready to pull him out of line up.

Connor at best can get to the free throw line on dribble penetration and then has no place to go. He isn't getting by anyone so he has to veer back out to the 3 point line or pick his dribble up and get smothered. The offense needs a guy who gets into the paint and breaks the defense down so somebody gets an open look...this is Touissant and IMO Evelyn.

Take the next few games and work JT and Evelyn in at point and slide Connor to other spots. To his credit, he is making some 3's and I think he will fare better off the ball. He provides no match up advantage on either end at PG but may as a 3 subbing for JW or even at a 4 if they go small. Get him moving / cutting and looking to distribute off this action vs. thinking he is going to break guys down off the bounce.

Nice job by the coaching staff last night getting completely clowned by DePaul. Once again Fran seems bewildered by the athleticism OTHER teams have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT