ADVERTISEMENT

With no CC who is your starting 5 next year and first 3 off the bench?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
First question is do the hawks have a highly rated frosh center coming in this fall?

Guards - McCabe and Fuerbach

Forwards/SG - Affolter and Hannah

Center - the brand new freshwoman

First 3 off bench Gyamfi, O'Grady, another pt guard but who, Kenise Johnson

Are there other highly rated frosh or portal players coming in this year?

I highlighted my starters best guess just based on playing time this year

3 seniors - 2 juniors

JMWKYdb.jpg

Next year’s team has to be built around Stuelke and Affolter. Bluder builds around veterans, so game 1 starters are already here.

Predictions:

• Game 1 Starters: McCabe, Feuerbach, Affolter, Stuelke, and O’Grady.

• Starters by start of Big 10: A freshman steps into the starting line up. Heiden? Mallegni, moving Stuelke to center?

• Transfers: Someone moves on, maybe Johnson. Maybe we bring in a surprise transfer.

• Steps up: Someone uses her off season to make a big jump. I pick McCabe for rounding out her game to demand more minutes. Or Feuerbach keeps her shot going.

Now that Goodman has decided not to play next year, opening up another scholarship, I would guess Lisa will look for an experienced point guard in the portal.

Theres already a thread on this topic:

My thoughts below:

I actually follow a few evaluators for PGH / ESPN / etc on Twitter and one of them is very friendly, so I messaged them to see what they think about the lineup next year. They predicted that Stremlow, Levin and Kennise will all get a shot at the 1 but in their professional opinion, Stremlow will ultimately get the starting spot til Guyton heals — due to her court vision. They agree that Guyton is clearly the most talented and were hopeful she may be able to get back into the lineup after Christmas break.

Sounds like the gap between Guyton and Stremlow at PG might be large enough that it would be worth recalibrating mid-season even tho she’ll miss the whole summer. They do not see McCabe working out at the 1 and I’ve agreed with that since I started thinking about this topic.

Anyway, this person tends be very knowledgeable — as they should be since they get paid to do so. Therefore, I predict the following early:
  • PG: Stremlow -> Johnson
  • SG: McCabe -> Mallegni
  • SF: Feuerbach -> Gyamfi/Mallegni
  • PF: Affolter -> Gyamfi
  • C: Stuelke -> O’Grady/Goodman/Heiden
But ideally, it could ultimately turn into a rotation of the following:
  • PG: Guyton -> Stremlow
  • SG: McCabe / Feuerbach (not sure who would get the edge)
  • SF: Affolter -> Feuerbach / Mallegni
  • PF: Stuelke -> Gyamfi
  • C: Heiden -> O’Grady/Goodman
A couple months ago I was more bullish on Feuerbach but since she has kind of taken a step back, im less confident she will break thru as a starter in a fully healthy lineup.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I think Mallegni has a good shot at ultimately playing the PF (a la Warnock) but Bluder has said she prefers freshmen to either learn the 2/3 or 4/5 and I don’t see her expecting Mallegni, a guard, to focus on the 4/5.

I would guess that if a current hawk enters the portal, a veteran PG would be the #1 priority.
Most of this is unchanged but with Goodman leaving, Bluder absolutely needs an experienced PG from the portal.

Feuerbach has really come around lately as well and is playing like the player she was recruited to be. If this keeps up, it would cement competition for the 2/3 spot tho as McCabe/Feuerbach/Affolter are all deserving. Unless/until Heiden can work her way in (which I think is likely by January), then it’ll be guaranteed anyway.

I’ve however come around to the idea of Affolter perhaps getting minutes at PG if no portal help ultimately comes. McCabe needs to be catching and shooting. But I think someone will come — even if they’re more in the mold of Davis than Clark.

Last edited:

My thoughts below:

Most of this is unchanged but with Goodman leaving, Bluder absolutely needs an experienced PG from the portal. This would cement competition for the 2/3 spot tho as McCabe/Feuerbach/Affolter are all deserving. Unless/until Heiden can work her way in (which I think is likely by January), then it’ll be guaranteed anyway. I’ve however come around to the idea of Affolter perhaps getting minutes at PG if no help ultimately comes. McCabe needs to be catching and shooting. But I think someone will come — even if they’re more in the mold of Davis than Clark.

Im a huge fan of Affolter & her upside but I don’t see her at pg.

My thoughts below:

Most of this is unchanged but with Goodman leaving, Bluder absolutely needs an experienced PG from the portal. This would cement competition for the 2/3 spot tho as McCabe/Feuerbach/Affolter are all deserving. Unless/until Heiden can work her way in (which I think is likely by January), then it’ll be guaranteed anyway. I’ve however come around to the idea of Affolter perhaps getting minutes at PG if no help ultimately comes. McCabe needs to be catching and shooting. But I think someone will come — even if they’re more in the mold of Davis than Clark.

Should have read this deeper…yes on McCabe being a shooter and not a PG. I like her a lot, but I’m a little confused by the over the top fan love. She can shot, but she doesn’t always seem connected to the offense or defense. She is kind of a satellite orbiting around waiting for the ball..

A couple thoughts : I don’t see Affolter as big scorer and I’ve been told KJE has a long, long to ever see meaningfull playing time.

Han, Syd, KF, Mc and a freshman
Guyton is the only freshman (really, only player except Johnson) who would be a suitable candidate to start at PG. But she will miss all summer and perhaps not even play next year.

Starting Stremlow, Johnson or Levin would be a big gamble (listed from smallest to biggest gamble). Stremlow is likely the only one we can reasonably turn to, but I would expect a typical freshman season from her, which would be rough.

For that reason I think Affolter might need to be considered. Hopefully a PG will come from the portal and neither option will be necessary. Indiana and Maryland have turned to their veteran SFs time and again to fill the role and I can see why.

I don’t believe McCabe should be an option both bc she is too valuable to lose at the 2 and bc she is likely the least suitable to play 1.

Heiden will compete for minutes at the 5 and perhaps overtake the vets to earn a starting spot. If that happens or if Bluder is able to recruit a PG from the portal, only 2 of McCabe, Feuerbach and Affolter can start.

Last edited:
Next year’s team has to be built around Stuelke and Affolter. Bluder builds around veterans, so game 1 starters are already here.

Predictions:

• Game 1 Starters: McCabe, Feuerbach, Affolter, Stuelke, and O’Grady.

• Starters by start of Big 10: A freshman steps into the starting line up. Heiden? Mallegni, moving Stuelke to center?

• Transfers: Someone moves on, maybe Johnson. Maybe we bring in a surprise transfer.

• Steps up: Someone uses her off season to make a big jump. I pick McCabe for rounding out her game to demand more minutes. Or Feuerbach keeps her shot going.
If Heiden is in the lineup then Stuelke will NOT be the center....

An obvious rebuilding season. Hopefully getting to the big dance and make some noise.

Most of this is unchanged but with Goodman leaving, Bluder absolutely needs an experienced PG from the portal. Feuerbach has really come around lately as well and is playing like the player she was recruited to be.
Yup maybe they can get someone from a mid major like M Davis. You'd think Bluder's fast paced style would be attractive to PGs.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I wonder if Bluder will retire after this season. Next year's team is going to be rough
I have pondered this thought as well. Lisa has always talked about how hard the coaching profession is on the family life. It probably won't get any better than the last 2 years in the future and next year I see us being a fringe bubble team.

Maybe she hangs it up and let's Jan Jensen take the reigns. Jensen has long been acknowledged as a head coach type.

Reactions: Hawkhoops3
I know people like to talk about Jennie from OU but it’s absolutely Jan’s job if she wanted it if Lisa decided to leave, which I don’t believe she is quite ready to do.

I know people like to talk about Jennie from OU but it’s absolutely Jan’s job if she wanted it if Lisa decided to leave, which I don’t believe she is quite ready to do.

I’m not in a hurry for it, but I’m extremely intrigued by a Jan Jensen Iowa team🤷‍♂️ I think she’ll rock!

Question… If I’m not mistaken, we do have a top 10 recruiting class coming in, correct? On top of one that was pretty good from the year before, also correct?

Jan has been by Lisa’s side for 30+ years. If she really wanted to be a head coach, why hasn’t she done it already? I do think she could do it, but I don’t think she should just be given the job that I’m not entirely sure she wants. We absolutely should talk to Jennie when that day comes because the longer she stays at OU the harder it will be to steal her away. At this point Jennie has a better resume than Bluder did when we hired her in 2000. And if she gets the job, I’d be surprised if she didn’t ask Jan to stay on the staff.

Reactions: littlez
It would have almost been better if the Europe trip could’ve held off until this year. The group is going to need a lot of court time together to really gel with so many new faces playing together.

It would have almost been better if the Europe trip could’ve held off until this year. The group is going to need a lot of court time together to really gel with so many new faces playing together.

Yes but, that trip set the underpinnings of this offense. Look back at last years stats. Affolter, Martin, Davis, Stuelke, none of those girls played like this last year.

Marshall for all intents & purposes isn’t much down from last year. 6.2 to 5.2, she doesn’t throw the ball away…🤷‍♂️

And Feurbach was hurt right….she gets better and better….

And hell CC is better….

We rebound better….

This offense isn’t the same…

That trip helped!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT