ADVERTISEMENT

How many B1G games can Fran lose and keep his job?

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010
So far Iowa is 0-3 in the conference with 17 games left plus at least one game in the B1G tourney. Looking ahead, it's difficult to see a win the next two months.

Blow-out losses to Purdue, Iowa State, Michigan; lost lead, second half collapse at Wisconsin. Low fan support. Empty Carver Hawkeye. Disgruntled fans. Likely transfers. At what point does Beth Goetz pull the trigger?

Jan. 6 vs Rutgers
Jan. 12 vs Nebraska
Jan. 15 at Minnesota
Jan. 20 vs Purdue
Jan. 24 vs Maryland
Jan. 27 at Michigan
Jan. 30 at Indiana
Feb. 2 vs Ohio State
Feb. 8 at Penn State
Feb. 11 vs Minnesota
Feb. 14 at Maryland
Feb. 17 vs. Wisconsin
Feb. 20 at Michigan State
Feb. 24 at Illinois
Feb. 27 vs. Penn State
Mar. 2 at Northwestern
Mar. 10 vs Illinois
Mar. 13 BTT (Minneapolis)

So far Iowa is 0-3 in the conference with 17 games left plus at least one game in the B1G tourney. Looking ahead, it's difficult to see a win the next two months.

Blow-out losses to Purdue, Iowa State, Michigan; lost lead, second half collapse at Wisconsin. Low fan support. Empty Carver Hawkeye. Disgruntled fans. Likely transfers. At what point does Beth Goetz pull the trigger?

Jan. 6 vs Rutgers
Jan. 12 vs Nebraska
Jan. 15 at Minnesota
Jan. 20 vs Purdue
Jan. 24 vs Maryland
Jan. 27 at Michigan
Jan. 30 at Indiana
Feb. 2 vs Ohio State
Feb. 8 at Penn State
Feb. 11 vs Minnesota
Feb. 14 at Maryland
Feb. 17 vs. Wisconsin
Feb. 24 at Illinois
Feb. 27 vs. Penn State
Mar. 2 at Northwestern
Mar. 10 vs Illinois
What is his buyout. Roughly I am guessing 10M?

Probably all of them. Didn’t the last dipshit AD extend him before he left.
Doubt Iowa is going to want to pay Fran out for 4 years.
I think the only hope is that the fans harass him enough that he leaves after this year when Pat is done and Jack can go play his senior year of high school in a bigger market.

Jan. 6 vs Rutgers
Jan. 12 vs Nebraska
Jan. 15 at Minnesota
Jan. 20 vs Purdue
Jan. 24 vs Maryland
Jan. 27 at Michigan
Jan. 30 at Indiana
Feb. 2 vs Ohio State
Feb. 8 at Penn State
Feb. 11 vs Minnesota
Feb. 14 at Maryland
Feb. 17 vs. Wisconsin
Feb. 24 at Illinois
Feb. 27 vs. Penn State
Mar. 2 at Northwestern
Mar. 10 vs Illinois
I GUARANTEE multiple wins in the next 2 months.

He is slated to make 3.7 million in the 27-28 year alone according to the Athletic so I am guessing about 14 million for the buyout at this point. I don't see the buyout this year, but I could see it next year if we had back to back years with 4 or less wins in conference.

This is my 1st year since moving to Eastern Iowa 6 years ago without buying season tickets and I don't regret it. I have a feeling there are a lot more fans developing apathy like myself. I am hoping I see a reason to go back to Carver next year. Maybe it's the continued development of the freshman, maybe it's Cooper Koch.

I could see Fran hang it up after this year. If he does that would likely get me back as well. He can coach, but the results are getting tougher and tougher to stomach.

Last edited:
They need at least 2 wins in next three games.
If they go winless in that stretch we will be in serious jeopardy of a disastrous 2-18 or worse.
Honestly, if we go 0fer or 1-19 I still see no way Fran gets axed.
He has bought 2 bad years with his 5th or higher run over the last 8 years.
Plus I highly doubt Beth /Barbara Wilson want to be seen as cutthroat henchmen.

I still think Iowa ends up with 7-9 conference wins. How many times does any Iowa team go to Madison and win. Not many! The Michigan game is still our only bad loss. Im still on board and Freeman is a stud now and the future!

Reactions: CookyMonster
If they go winless in that stretch we will be in serious jeopardy of a disastrous 2-18 or worse.
If Fran goes 0-20 he should be fired on the spot IMO (see Prohm at ISU) but I fear you may be right. The previous doofus of an AD has saddled us with unfirable football and basketball coaches thanks to gargantuan buyouts.

That said, I think Iowa will find a way to win a handful of games. I'm going with at least 6, but we'll see. Even Lick's worst team still won 4 conference games.

Reactions: LukaDuka
They'll win a handful of games. I'd set the ceiling at 6 and the floor at 4. Fran stays one more year and retires after Jack graduates high school.

Last edited:
IMO, he is not going anywhere this year (unless he chooses to leave) even if they lose every BIG game. But if he follows up this year with a losing 24/25 season in addition to more fan apathy it may force Iowa to get rid of him. JMO

This could put him on a warm seat, but his record this year won't get him fired. Maybe he would opt out and go be with the family? He isn't going to sit Patrick, so a finish in the bottom 3 or 4 is a decent possibility. We haven't been close against a decent team yet.

If they lose the next three games, Fran could lose the locker room. Could trigger an overhaul of the lineup, good or bad.

he's about to become Iowa's all-time wins coach

it's going to take a lot more than one awful season for him to get on the hot seat
Dr. Tom says hello

Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Jan. 6 vs Rutgers
Jan. 12 vs Nebraska
Jan. 15 at Minnesota
Jan. 20 vs Purdue
Jan. 24 vs Maryland
Jan. 27 at Michigan
Jan. 30 at Indiana
Feb. 2 vs Ohio State
Feb. 8 at Penn State
Feb. 11 vs Minnesota
Feb. 14 at Maryland
Feb. 17 vs. Wisconsin
Feb. 24 at Illinois
Feb. 27 vs. Penn State
Mar. 2 at Northwestern
Mar. 10 vs Illinois
Seriously no wins in the next month? WTF?

He could lose the rest of the games including the first B1G tournament game, and would not be fired. The only way a firing could happen, is if he completely epically loses it, like wayy off the Fran-Con chart, during a game in extreme fashion. I hope that doesn't happen and that he quietly exits after this season.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
He could lose the rest of the games including the first B1G tournament game, and would not be fired. The only way a firing could happen, is if he completely epically loses it, like wayy off the Fran-Con chart, during a game in extreme fashion. I hope that doesn't happen and that he quietly exits after this season.
Don’t think so. He’ll be under .500 this year. no Sweet 16s in 14 years. Not much in the pipeline. Beth needs to show him the door.

I think he is done after this year. He is leaving. just a hunch.
Really don't think so. He's not retiring--he just signed a new agent. And there isn't a halfway decent job that would hire him. The only job that is even remotely possible is La Salle and I'm not sure if Dunphy even retires this year, he's only in year 2 of his "post-retirement" tour. No one in their right mind is giving up $3+ million contract to go coach for less than 500K in the Patriot League. If the guy got turned away from Temple LAST year, where is the off-ramp?

Reactions: hoythawk
Really don't think so. He's not retiring--he just signed a new agent. And there isn't a halfway decent job that would hire him. The only job that is even remotely possible is La Salle and I'm not sure if Dunphy even retires this year, he's only in year 2 of his "post-retirement" tour. No one in their right mind is giving up $3+ million contract to go coach for less than 500K in the Patriot League. If the guy got turned away from Temple LAST year, where is the off-ramp?
We will find out soon enough

Would be interesting to see his contract. Could he be fired for cause if he has another situation that ends up in a suspension? He won’t be fired with a payout after this season. An interim AD won’t have the power to put the university on the hook for that much money.. The only way he’s gone is either willingly or for cause.

He can lose them all if the freshmen keep improving. Although it is hard to believe they will lose them all if the freshmen keep improving.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
If he loses control of the team, and several of his underclassman decide to transfer, along with only winning a few games in the B1G, Fran will be on a very hot seat and might decide to go. The future looks pretty good, if the underclassmen stay and he adds the next recruiting class. If Perkins doesn't return, Fran definitely needs another guard next year, preferably an experience PG. I'm not sure how much he wants the money versus respect for what he has done.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
This could put him on a warm seat, but his record this year won't get him fired. Maybe he would opt out and go be with the family? He isn't going to sit Patrick, so a finish in the bottom 3 or 4 is a decent possibility. We haven't been close against a decent team yet.
Seton Hall is playing well and we beat.them

If Fran goes winless in Big Ten rest of year he’s gone. One way or the other no way he keeps his job. I’ll put one Ben Franklin on it.

Reactions: hoythawk
I’m going to say three maybe four and that’s not a strong feeling

If he loses control of the team, and several of his underclassman decide to transfer, along with only winning a few games in the B1G, Fran will be on a very hot seat and might decide to go. The future looks pretty good, if the underclassmen stay and he adds the next recruiting class. If Perkins doesn't return, Fran definitely needs another guard next year, preferably an experience PG. I'm not sure how much he wants the money versus respect for what he has done.
Fran has 1 true point guard and a few combo guards that can handle the position, he is not going to bring in another guard to play point.

We will need another Tony.
Strong big. athletic shooting guard who is better than Dix and Pryce.

Reactions: HawkLogic
I agree there is no chance he gets hired at any P5 conference so the only way he leaves is if Jack decides he would like to play at a lower level with his dad. Patrick and Perkins could follow Fran for next year. He could take some new team to the NCAA for a first round exit. Win Win for all parties.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Fran has 1 true point guard and a few combo guards that can handle the position, he is not going to bring in another guard to play point.
If Tony leaves, I think the team is definitely a guard short. Neither incoming recruit is a guard, and they should help solidify the 4 especially, leaving mostly Freeman and Dembele to play post. They both need to hit the weights in the off season. I keep hearing people whine about Bowen not being a PG, you in particular, yet you diss the idea of bringing in a guy who has successfully run a team at the college level. I didn't say he would push your favorite player to the bench, but it would be an open competition. I would argue Dix is more of a 2/3 than a 1/2. Bowen is a combo guard. With the limited money Iowa BB seems to be offer portal transfers, I wouldn't be expecting a star player from a power conference.

Fans talkin g about firing a coach who just made 5? (Counting the COVID year) NCAA tournaments in a row are delusional. Get a life.

Reactions: Ronman
If Tony leaves, I think the team is definitely a guard short. Neither incoming recruit is a guard, and they should help solidify the 4 especially, leaving mostly Freeman and Dembele to play post. They both need to hit the weights in the off season. I keep hearing people whine about Bowen not being a PG, you in particular, yet you diss the idea of bringing in a guy who has successfully run a team at the college level. I didn't say he would push your favorite player to the bench, but it would be an open competition. I would argue Dix is more of a 2/3 than a 1/2. Bowen is a combo guard. With the limited money Iowa BB seems to be offer portal transfers, I wouldn't be expecting a star player from a power conference.
Yeah basically next year, assuming neither of the guys who have covid years come back and Mulvey transfers out like expected, looks like:

PG/CG: Bowen, Harding
SG: Dix
Wing: Payton, Pryce
4: Dembele, Koch, Tadjo
5: Freeman, Brauns

It's pretty obvious where the need is in terms of the portal. And to be honest, there's a lot more guards in the portal than there are big men and therefore a lot of them demand less money. Hell, even Minnesota, who is strapped for NIL cash got a couple decent guards via the portal. And if you go in expecting Dix and one of Bowen or Harding to start, then all Fran doesn't need to shoot for the stars on someone--he can bring in a couple quality pieces that maybe aren't starters day 1 but can develop into that. I think similarly about a backup center. Find someone a little raw that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get who can give 5-8 minutes when needed and is a bit younger. I know that's easier said than done, but that would be my hope.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I agree there is no chance he gets hired at any P5 conference so the only way he leaves is if Jack decides he would like to play at a lower level with his dad. Patrick and Perkins could follow Fran for next year. He could take some new team to the NCAA for a first round exit. Win Win for all parties.

Perkins is not going to follow Fran. I do subscribe to theory that Jack goes to a Mid Major and Fran follows him...but Jack has 2 more years in H. S.

Hard to go 0-20 in B1G. I would guess 6-8 wins and Fran is back next year for sure based on his "body of work."

My biggest concern is how do we stop a top NIL school from poaching Freeman. Fran hasn't shown ability to recruit athletic guards that defend and score....I don't see improvement next year either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT