ADVERTISEMENT

How many B1G games can Fran lose and keep his job?

First- The men are not going 0 for the league. They aren't good, but they also don't appear to be historically bad. 5-7 wins seems like it would be in the ballpark.

Second- It wouldn't matter if they only won a game or two in the league. Fran is not going to be fired. Previous incompetent AD has helped to cement his position.

As for next year, I'd love to see a guard who plays 1 and 2, as well as one who plays 2 and 3 brought in. Mature players with big ten ready bodies.

First- The men are not going 0 for the league. They aren't good, but they also don't appear to be historically bad. 5-7 wins seems like it would be in the ballpark.

Second- It wouldn't matter if they only won a game or two in the league. Fran is not going to be fired. Previous incompetent AD has helped to cement his position.

As for next year, I'd love to see a guard who plays 1 and 2, as well as one who plays 2 and 3 brought in. Mature players with big ten ready bodies.
I was pretty skeptical of what Minnesota did this offseason by bringing in Hawkins and Mitchell, but they seem to have gotten some "bang for their buck" with 2 guards who weren't coveted by just about anyone else in the P6 because they were thought to be undersized. The big thing with both of them is that they were both really good shooters at Howard/Pepperdine--there seems to be enough data to support that mid-major guys who are good shooters also translates to the high major level. Those 2 combined for 8 made 3s over Michigan last night and were the 2 leading scorers. And again, neither guy really had other P6 suitors and with what I know about Minnesota's NIL situation, I don't think either guy is getting paid like a typical P6 starter (plus they both have another year of eligibility after this one). They kind of nailed that this offseason for what they were capable of.

Fran will be 65 in May. Hard to imagine he would take another coaching job.

Reasons he could get fired -

1. Embarrassing the U. If he has super tantrums and loses most of the games.

2. Losing the team - players leave the program. Recruits de-commit

3. Fans don't show up for game in mass. Like 4-5,000 in attendance for B1G games

I don't think he will get fired for "just" losing a whole lot of games. The 1-3 above with have to factor in.

I seems to me that Fran retiring is a real possibility with Jack going to a prep school and already saying he's not coming to Iowa. But, I'm also a guy that thought KF would retire after this year.

He is slated to make 3.7 million in the 27-28 year alone according to the Athletic so I am guessing about 14 million for the buyout at this point. I don't see the buyout this year, but I could see it next year if we had back to back years with 4 or less wins in conference.

This is my 1st year since moving to Eastern Iowa 6 years ago without buying season tickets and I don't regret it. I have a feeling there are a lot more fans developing apathy like myself. I am hoping I see a reason to go back to Carver next year. Maybe it's the continued development of the freshman, maybe it's Cooper Koch.
ee
I could see Fran hang it up after this year. If he does that would likely get me back as well. He can coach, but the results are getting tougher and tougher to stomach.

He can coach offense but we've seen what happens when you only coach one side of the game.

Seems like we play these mid majors and I'm always jealous of 1 or 2 guards on the opposing team that are getting to the rack and/or drilling 3pt shots. That Atlantic Conference team that beat us with Keegan Murray on our team in NCAA tourney had a 5'9 PG and nobody on Iowa team could guard him. We had JBO. To be fair JoeT was on that Iowa team and didn't have a good game either.

Fran hasn't distinguished himself for recruiting guards. Sort of like KF has a problem with picking quarterbacks.

Perkins is not going to follow Fran. I do subscribe to theory that Jack goes to a Mid Major and Fran follows him...but Jack has 2 more years in H. S.

Hard to go 0-20 in B1G. I would guess 6-8 wins and Fran is back next year for sure based on his "body of work."

My biggest concern is how do we stop a top NIL school from poaching Freeman. Fran hasn't shown ability to recruit athletic guards that defend and score....I don't see improvement next year either.
Freeman doesn’t seem the type to me to bolt for the money. Especially with his buddy on the team. At least not next year.

I thought Jack was a 2025 recruit? I dont see Fran jumping ship for a lesser job. If anything, I think Jack comes back to play for him after a couple years somewhere else.

This could put him on a warm seat, but his record this year won't get him fired. Maybe he would opt out and go be with the family? He isn't going to sit Patrick, so a finish in the bottom 3 or 4 is a decent possibility. We haven't been close against a decent team yet.
Exactly. Hawks are not even competing. 5 double digit losses and a 8 point loss. Zero chance of winning any of those games at end

Fran will be 65 in May. Hard to imagine he would take another coaching job.

Reasons he could get fired -

1. Embarrassing the U. If he has super tantrums and loses most of the games.

2. Losing the team - players leave the program. Recruits de-commit

3. Fans don't show up for game in mass. Like 4-5,000 in attendance for B1G games

I don't think he will get fired for "just" losing a whole lot of games. The 1-3 above with have to factor in.

I seems to me that Fran retiring is a real possibility with Jack going to a prep school and already saying he's not coming to Iowa. But, I'm also a guy that thought KF would retire after this year.
I humbly disagree. I can't see leaving with this freshman class and next years class. Best accumulated talent for us in a ling time. I'd stay at least 3 or 4 years unless we lose to the portal. But i don't see anyone leaving. Defense definitely looked good today. Freeman is huge on the defensive front. And i could be completely wrong.

Fans talkin g about firing a coach who just made 5? (Counting the COVID year) NCAA tournaments in a row are delusional. Get a life.
Some folks would not be happy with John Wooden so a lot of this is predictable.

Are you saying that McCaffery gets fired at the end of the season no matter what his record? Not that he leaves on his own. You're saying he gets canned, right? I'll take that bet.
If they had gone 0-20, then he definitely should’ve been, and that’s the point.

Unless you’re coming off a NC or FF season (or more likely within the last 3 seasons at a program like Iowa) then going 0-er in conference is grounds for dismissal.

Last edited:
Seems like we play these mid majors and I'm always jealous of 1 or 2 guards on the opposing team that are getting to the rack and/or drilling 3pt shots. That Atlantic Conference team that beat us with Keegan Murray on our team in NCAA tourney had a 5'9 PG and nobody on Iowa team could guard him. We had JBO. To be fair JoeT was on that Iowa team and didn't have a good game either.

Fran hasn't distinguished himself for recruiting guards. Sort of like KF has a problem with picking quarterbacks.
Yes. Fran's guard recruiting is overall sub par. He's had adequate pgs, at best. Rarely has guys with bodies, quickness and handles to be dangerous getting to the rim. Bohannon, one of the best guards of the Fran era, was effective in one facet of the game on one end of the court. Fortunately he was incredibly highly effective at that one thing.
As has been noted repeatedly, NCAA men's b-ball is predominantly a guard's game. It's inexcusable to not be getting better 1s and 2s.

The only way Fran is not coaching at Iowa in 2024-2025 is if he retires or takes another job.

No way he gets fired unless he punches a ref or something like that.

With that said, I think it would be best for both Iowa and the McCaffreys if Fran leaves after this season.

Reactions: shrinkhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT