ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you invest?

Just wait and see what these index fund "investors" are saying when the market drops, their funds drop with it, and they panic and pull their money out. The best value an advisor can give you is that it's not their money and they're an objective source of advice. There are many fantastic advisors and plenty of phony ones, as I suspect with any industry. Shop around and see who best fits your needs.

You do realize most fund managers can't beat the market. http://fortune.com/2017/04/13/stock-indexes-beat-mutual-funds/

My wife and I have $50,000 saved. Our house will be paid off in 3 years, when I am 45. We have no kids. I want to invest but know nothing about it. We need to get a financial planner. Where do you recommend where to start?

Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?.... O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them (Matt 6:25,31,32).

Reactions: UKGrad93
For me, a good wealth management advisor is worth the fee. I don't enjoy researching investments - I'd rather read HROT. I like the service aspect of my advisor as well.

I use a passive investment strategy in which my money is invested in all market sectors, and I'm about 60/40% equity v fixed income. I rebalance quarterly. Some of the funds I use are not available to an individual investor.

I've used the same strategy and advisor since 2002 and I earned an annual return of 7.6%, after all fees. By being balanced, I have minimized my risk.

Works for me.

Take $1000 of it and put it into Cryptocurrency. Assume that $1000 will be lost but it has the potential to turn into $1,000,000. I like Verge XVG and Litecoin LTC right now. Verge has the potential to make huge jumps if people adopt the technology. It's like bitcoin only faster and more secure.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
Huh?
Trying to give a couple with no kids the concept of a investment they can get some enjoyment out of vs looking at a statement every month celebrating saving for nothing.
Alot of investors have this problem. Its a working investment vs a non working investment according to some.
As an example as soon as my first house was paid off i immeditely cashed out most of my investments and purchased my fla residence with 40% down.
Its now paid off so im back doing a little market stuff but not much.

If somebody advised you to do that, they should be fired. That’s an awful decision in my opinion.

If somebody advised you to do that, they should be fired. That’s an awful decision in my opinion.
My father in law who died with about $12 million in assets advised me.
Seemed to make sense.
Working out for me great but thanks for your opinion.

Most plans of this type have options for that, but it results in a reduced monthly benefit.

My wife and I both have ipers. My pension will be three times hers, if earning patterns continue. When we retire, we will max her pension payout, with the option for hers to pay a lump sum value on her death if it hasn’t already been reached. Mine will be a survivors pension. In all likelihood, I will die first. When that happens, she can cash the remainder of hers out, then begin drawing mine. If she dies first, I can do the same thing.

I don’t think any of those give an example of benefits not being paid that we’re already owed. Now California is a good example. Many municipalities in California stopped making contributions to calpers, and retiree benefits were cut or stopped.

Having said that, IPERS is very sound financially. Relative to other pension funds. I don’t have any choice but to participate. Last check my wife and I had just at 400k in value. That’s our retirement.

Take $1000 of it and put it into Cryptocurrency. Assume that $1000 will be lost but it has the potential to turn into $1,000,000. I like Verge XVG and Litecoin LTC right now. Verge has the potential to make huge jumps if people adopt the technology. It's like bitcoin only faster and more secure.

Or beanie babies. That would work as well.

Reactions: 2bagger22
My wife and I both have ipers. My pension will be three times hers, if earning patterns continue. When we retire, we will max her pension payout, with the option for hers to pay a lump sum value on her death if it hasn’t already been reached. Mine will be a survivors pension. In all likelihood, I will die first. When that happens, she can cash the remainder of hers out, then begin drawing mine. If she dies first, I can do the same thing.

Sounds like you've thought about it and come up with a plan. Just curious...could she draw both hers and yours, or is that not allowed?

FWIW, active managers tend to outperform during market turmoil. Given the age of this bull I have a good mix of active and passive right now.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I don’t think any of those give an example of benefits not being paid that we’re already owed. Now California is a good example. Many municipalities in California stopped making contributions to calpers, and retiree benefits were cut or stopped.

Having said that, IPERS is very sound financially. Relative to other pension funds. I don’t have any choice but to participate. Last check my wife and I had just at 400k in value. That’s our retirement.

According to this story it's only about 84% funded and has $5.6 billion of unfunded liability.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...unfunded-liability-nears-56-billion/94735470/

My father in law who died with about $12 million in assets advised me.
Seemed to make sense.
Working out for me great but thanks for your opinion.

I’m impressed with those asset numbers for sure. Hope he didn’t have liabilities against them to offset.

At any rate, this is about what you posted, which I’m going to attempt to repeat to see if it is accurate. When you paid your first house off, you cashed out all investments to put 40% down on a second home. Is that in fact what you did?

I’m impressed with those asset numbers for sure. Hope he didn’t have liabilities against them to offset.

At any rate, this is about what you posted, which I’m going to attempt to repeat to see if it is accurate. When you paid your first house off, you cashed out all investments to put 40% down on a second home. Is that in fact what you did?

Yes.
Left about one year salary in the market with stop losses.
Took the rest and invested it in my retirement/vacation home.
Once that was paid off back in land and market.

My grandparents bought this insurance against the families advice long ago. My grandpa lived there for 5 years with Parkinson’s and my grandma lived there for 20. Best investment they ever made. Her room was over $2,000 a month!
Mt mother is spending 6K per month now in assisted living. The yearly growth in her funds pays for everything plus SS and Pension pay for everything. I do know older people that are about to use up there insurance, and don't know what to do after that happens.

Yes.
Left about one year salary in the market with stop losses.
Took the rest and invested it in my retirement/vacation home.
Once that was paid off back in land and market.

Ok, I do not understand why one would do that though... think of the market gains you missed out on, unless somehow this all started in 2007 and you bought the real estate during 2009 when it was distressed. Even then the markets have roared since 2009. I’m just saying I’d never advise anybody to do what you did, although to be fair I’m not a financial advisor, planner, broker, etc.

FWIW, active managers tend to outperform during market turmoil. Given the age of this bull I have a good mix of active and passive right now.

What the PASSIVE investor really doesn’t understand is you can buy any stock at any time. Good luck selling some of them during a bear though, especially the smaller or mid cap stocks that were lifted up to 80x earnings and no active investor will buy them on the way down.

The only way all of these ETFs work when they make up this much of the market is if the flows never stop.

What the PASSIVE investor really doesn’t understand is you can buy any stock at any time. Good luck selling some of them during a bear though, especially the smaller or mid cap stocks that were lifted up to 80x earnings and no active investor will buy them on the way down.

The only way all of these ETFs work when they make up this much of the market is if the flows never stop.

You seem to know your stuff. I have to be really careful as I am a licensed professional, but I am moving more and more to active right now.

84% is actually pretty damn good. At least when compared to many others. I deal with pera a lot out here in Colorado. It is only 64% funded right now.
No, it's not. It's better than some plans that are in big trouble, but I wouldn't call it pretty good. A big market downturn could put a lot of people in jeopardy of substantially reduced benefit levels.

No, it's not. It's better than some plans that are in big trouble, but I wouldn't call it pretty good. A big market downturn could put a lot of people in jeopardy of substantially reduced benefit levels.

Saying pretty damn good was not the best way to put that. I really meant it in the context of comparing it to many other plans that are in very poor shape.

I wonder what the actuarial assumptions are for ipers or if that’s easily found? My guess is they’re assuming at least 7.5% return per annum?

For retail investors anyways. Institutions can always redeem and take possession of the underlying securities.

For retail investors anyways. Institutions can always redeem and take possession of the underlying securities.

Very good point although I believe individuals could end up redeeming in kind as well?

Edit - I believe the market maker can decide but I’d assume for most individuals this would be a silly F-You. It could easily happen with illiquid bond funds though.

Saying pretty damn good was not the best way to put that. I really meant it in the context of comparing it to many other plans that are in very poor shape.
That I agree with. Illinois is a big mess, and several other states have plans with big problems, too. It's just not as noticeable as long as the equity markets are doing well.

I wonder what the actuarial assumptions are for ipers or if that’s easily found? My guess is they’re assuming at least 7.5% return per annum?
You're spot on with that comment. The IPERS chiefs just announced a reduced return projection a month or so ago. It was either going 8% down to 7.5% or 7.5% down to 7%. I don't remember which. It caused a slight change to funding estimates.

You're spot on with that comment. The IPERS chiefs just announced a reduced return projection a month or so ago. It was either going 8% down to 7.5% or 7.5% down to 7%. I don't remember which. It caused a slight change to funding estimates.

Well, that’s closer to what reality will be than some estimates for other plans... I’m not a big fan of these type of retirement plans at all, but IPERS is by all accounts fairly well off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT